China Glaze Stone Cold - Capitol Colours Hunger Games Collection

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
China Glaze Stone Cold - Capitol Colours Hunger Games Collection

4.2

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

The color is unique and beautiful, and I got this polish for a great price on clearance at Sally's. But minutes after I paint this on the polish starts chipping. originally I thought 2 coats might have been too much for a few weeks later I tried it just using one coat, and the nail polish practically flew off my nails. I did my nails last night and I'm inserting a photo of what my nails look like, with my one intact accent nail being the exception on both hands. I have tried matte polish before and even use a top coat to make any polish matte, and I have never had this issue before. I'm going to see if with a nice base coat this polish will last but if not. I'' use it for nail art and forget about it as a nail color on its own.
Not happy about this.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium

Wow, what an interesting nail polish. This is a dark grey with silvery microglitter, and it dries to a matte finish. I've never seen anything quite like it, though I've seen plenty of metallic greys and mattes. It really does look for all the world like graphite, although it might also be described as gunmetal grey.

I found the application to be very good, quite smooth, and I found I could get full opacity and coverage in just one coat (though I did two, because I think the manicure lasts longer that way).

You can finish this with a shiny top coat if you like, or use a matte top coat for extra protection. It looks good shiny; the glossy top coat brings out the silvery glitter. It also looks beautiful matte (which is how I prefer it).

After reading all the reviews on here that say it chips super easily, I tried an experiment. I used a basic, clear base coat (Poshe Quick Drying Base Coat), let that dry completely, then put on two coats of Stone Cold, and no top coat at all. I kept the polish on for four days, and in that time there was normal tip wear (the tips wore to an interesting silvery colour, actually, very pretty) and one nail had a surface scratch that could only be seen in certain light and if you were really looking, but there was no significant or even especially noticeable chipping. I do not baby my hands (I type constantly, do dishes, drive, cook, etc. etc.). Admittedly, I wasn't making pottery or digging bare-handed in the garden or using my nails to scratch wallpaper off or pry things open, etc., but I certainly was leading my normal life as a student and mum (i.e., medic, chauffeur, chef, laundress, tutor, seamstress, dispute arbitrator, typist, etc.), and not worrying about my nail polish. In fact, I was kind of hoping it would chip or something, just for interest's sake, but it didn't. I'll try it again some time and see if that was just a fluke, and if so, I'll amend this review, but I truly didn't have any chipping issues with this polish, even without any top coat.

Another thing I've noticed about this polish is that as you wear it longer, it becomes slightly less matte and more satiny, or perhaps it's just that the dark grey pigment slowly erodes leaving more of the silver microglitter visible. It's interesting to watch it evolve, I think.

Really novel polish, definitely in the "well, that's different" category. Love it enough that I bought a backup bottle.

UPDATE: I repeated the experiment with chipping, and, again, no top coat, four days, no chipping. I did get tip wear, and by the end of the fourth day the polish was starting to become somewhat satiny as opposed to matte, but still no chipping. I DO experience chipping with many polishes (sometimes more or less, depending on which base coat I use), but this polish seems pretty solid to me. I like it enough that I bought a backup bottle.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is a stunning dark silver sparkle polish! When it dries it looks like glitter embedded in concrete! It's viscous and easy to apply, and it dries well. Like most China Glaze polishes, it's a little smelly, but it's worth it for the color payoff and precise application.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This is an absolutely beautiful nail polish and reminds me of granite (I know some people think more of graphite). If only this nail polish had more staying power! It started chipping within 24 hours of first application despite having used one coat of OPI natural nail base coat and 2 coats of stone cold for a solid colour. I touched up the next day and it chipped again within a few hours of the touch up despite the fact that I was at home the whole time not doing anything intensive using my hands. I'll have to give it a go with the Essie Matte About You topcoat once my order arrives in the mail as I don't want to sacrifice the matte effect for longer durability with a normal glossy topcoat. In terms of the actual application, I was so happy about the quick drying of the formula and didn't find it too hard to get an entire layer done on a nail before needing to dip back in again. I'm a little concerned about the hardiness of the nail polish over time though. I'm afraid that, because of the rapid drying, I'll get halfway through the bottle one day and find that the rest can't be used because it's dried out due to repeated exposure to air. I hope one day they consider bringing this out with a more durable, chip-resistant formula. Until then I wouldn't buy it again.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Normally... I stay away from China Glaze, I have a few of their products but I'm an Essie girl. THIS collection, not just this nail polish but this entire collection is AH-MAZING! Only two coats for each polish (excluding the glitters of course) and you have an opaque nail, they last forever and eeeek! Just love love love all around. I'm definitely happy I bought some of these :)

As for Stone Cold, I originally didn't want to purchase it because it was a matte, but it's so awesome because you can wear it either way, matte or shiny and you can wear glitter over it or Luxe & Lush and spice it up :D Definitely a keeper!

Popular Polishes