China Glaze Stone Cold - Capitol Colours Hunger Games Collection

China Glaze Stone Cold - Capitol Colours Hunger Games Collection

3.6

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I'm not interested in 'The Hunger Games', but I bought Stone Cold because my boyfriend likes dark grays and blacks on me. It's a beautiful shade---a neutral dark gray with slight shimmer, but a matte texture, just like real stone---but the formula makes it literally unusable for me. Honestly, I found it just plain impossible to apply nicely. It goes on patchily, yet if I try to fill in a bald spot, it drags at and removes the surrounding polish. If I wait for it to dry before attempting to touch up the patchy areas, the end result looks lumpy. The only way for me to get a somewhat even-looking (though noticeably streaky on some nails) application is to use 2 thick coats...which results in the whole thing chipping away the next day, with or without matte t/c. I actually tried 3 manicures with this before giving up. I usually "rehome" polishes I don't care for, but Stone Cold was so utterly hopeless that I poured the polish out onto a paper plate and threw the whole shebang away. I'm confident, however, that I can get a very similar, maybe even better, look with Zoya Freja (my favorite dark gray), a light coat of NYC Shimmer Blast t/c, and a matte t/c over that.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

The color is unique and beautiful, and I got this polish for a great price on clearance at Sally's. But minutes after I paint this on the polish starts chipping. originally I thought 2 coats might have been too much for a few weeks later I tried it just using one coat, and the nail polish practically flew off my nails. I did my nails last night and I'm inserting a photo of what my nails look like, with my one intact accent nail being the exception on both hands. I have tried matte polish before and even use a top coat to make any polish matte, and I have never had this issue before. I'm going to see if with a nice base coat this polish will last but if not. I'' use it for nail art and forget about it as a nail color on its own.
Not happy about this.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Stone Cold is a really cool color. It looks good both matte and with a shiny top coat. but, sadly, it chips like crazy. I had it on for less than one day before I noticed the chipping. And by the second day the polish had started chipping away from all my nails in big chunks. It's unfortunate because it really neat, pretty looking polish.

on 3/14/2012 12:48:00 AM

i was so excited about this color. i love the hunger games. and i loved this color...for the first five minutes. it dries matte. lovely. but after about five, it's nothing but chip, chip, chip. ugh. so, i forsook the matte and coated it. it lasted most of the day...but then chip, chip, chip. i'm trying it with a base coat this time, but my hopes are not high. i'll be going back to my opi... very sad... :(

It looks o.k but it wears off easily. Dries quickly and only needs one coat. I find it looks nicer with a shiny topcoat as it is Matte.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

The color is amazing and really really unique. The formula is a tad tricky because it dries so quickly...the finish can be kinda lumpy if you don't work fast enough. The matte finish is gorgeous and it looks amazing under a shiny top coat as well.

Unfortunately it chips. I used base coat and top coat of course, but nothing helps. You won't make it 24 hours without a chip, and that's just unacceptable to me. For that reason alone I wouldn't buy it again :( But it pains me because it's such a gorgeous color.

on 4/27/2012 9:46:00 PM

I'm torn about this polish, it's so gorgeous! A deep graphite grey with tonnes of silver glitter through it. It only needs one coat, too! But as mentioned by others it does chip like crazy after about a day, which is sad because I would love to wear this polish forever! Over all, so pretty but I wouldn't buy it again, I'll be on the look out for something similar with better sticking power.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I am really mixed on this nail polish. I think it is SO cool, a really nice matte shade but also with some glitter. However, it chips really badly. You can probably get one day out of it, but for sure by the next day it'll chip. It's also somewhat hard to get off, oddly, for how easily it chips. I really love the look, but just be prepared to not love it for more than a day!

on 3/13/2013 5:29:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I had to have some of these polishes imported as they are not sold in my country, though I was so keen on a few of them. I settled for four, and paid through my teeth for them, but it was so worth it. I was so excited about this colour, and I was not wrong. The application is so nice and easy, not streaky, bubbly, thick or anything of the like, and the colour was absolutely gorgeous! It really does look like graphite on your fingers. A great plus about it (as with most matte polishes) is that is dries rapidly, so there is none of this waiting madness that frustrates me so.

The colour is a win on both fronts because even when you put a top coat on it is is simply stunning. Naturally, being a matte, it will chip a whole lot faster than the average polish, but this was not that bad (provided you aren't doing anything too rough). I am not even phased about the chipping because it is so quick and easy to apply/take off that even if I had to redo it every other night it wouldn't take me more than ten minutes.

I would definitely buy this one again when mine is finished.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This is an absolutely beautiful nail polish and reminds me of granite (I know some people think more of graphite). If only this nail polish had more staying power! It started chipping within 24 hours of first application despite having used one coat of OPI natural nail base coat and 2 coats of stone cold for a solid colour. I touched up the next day and it chipped again within a few hours of the touch up despite the fact that I was at home the whole time not doing anything intensive using my hands. I'll have to give it a go with the Essie Matte About You topcoat once my order arrives in the mail as I don't want to sacrifice the matte effect for longer durability with a normal glossy topcoat. In terms of the actual application, I was so happy about the quick drying of the formula and didn't find it too hard to get an entire layer done on a nail before needing to dip back in again. I'm a little concerned about the hardiness of the nail polish over time though. I'm afraid that, because of the rapid drying, I'll get halfway through the bottle one day and find that the rest can't be used because it's dried out due to repeated exposure to air. I hope one day they consider bringing this out with a more durable, chip-resistant formula. Until then I wouldn't buy it again.

Popular Polishes