LORAC Unzipped

UnzippedLorac Unzipped

4.8

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

This is the second time I ever purchase a high end palette worth $42 (the first one was the Sustainable Shadow Box from Urban Decay). And it was actually sort of a mistake. Since I have reddish hair and a light warm undertoned skin I purchased the LORAC Unzipper GOLD palette on the Nordstrom website and it got stolen at my postal service, so I called and they sent this one as a replacement because they were out of stock for the palette I originally wanted.
When I opened it and saw the colors I was not dissapointed at ALL! All the colors are neutrals and browns with a pink or mauve undertone (except for Undercover, the bone white highlighting shade, and Undiscovered, the neutral pale gold color). I used it today for the first time and the colors are so saturated I actually over did the makeup a couple of times and had to start all over again. Just the TINIEST dab of the metallic or shimmery eye shadows are enough for your whole lid. Two of the matte eye shadows are not as rich in color but I could visualize why. Their purpose is most likely for transitioning or blending the eyeshadows at the crease, which worked amazingly well for my look. The only color that dissapointed me was Undercover because it is the least pigmented eyeshadow, it is actually quite chalky, but with a primer it shows really well. Other than that I have NO complaints about this palette.
The colors are rich, I can invent a variety of looks for day time as well as night time with this product, and the shadows are a great size for what you pay for. Highly recommend if you're looking for something very similar to the Naked 3 palette but $14 cheaper ;)

on 1/22/2015 12:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

If you love neutrals, you can't go wrong with this palette. I really didn't "need" this palette since I have the Too Faced Chocolate Bar, but I can't help it, I have an addiction! :)

Colors are very saturated, so less is definately more. They're blendable and flattering on most complexions. If you're the type that doesn't really go for major color on the eyes, then this is for you. The only con is that I wish they had more mattes and less shimmer. Other than that I love it.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

Ok so I wanted to write a review for this palette because I've seen some ppl dissatisfied with it. Please read the review and try out my recommendations for working with the shadows before you return it. I had heard great things about Lorac's eyeshadows and this was one of the few makeup items I have bought without seeing it in person. I bought it based on pictures and tutorials I watched.

So on to the review. When I first got the palette I thought the colors were gorgeous to look at. They are smooth and creamy. Reminds me a bit of my MAC eyeshadows. When I applied them on my lid I was disappointed. Many ppl have complained that colors look different on the lid compared to swatch, colors blend into one another, and you can't tell a difference between eyeshadows after you apply it. I definitely agree. I don't know if its the formula or what. I do notice that shades like Unbelievable, Unattainable, and Uncensored have similar finishes and tend to just blend into one another. Unattainable was one of the shades that drew me to buying it but it looks completely different on my lid. In the pan its a beautiful bronzy gold shade. On my lid its a dull muted gold color. When I apply Undiscovered (light gold shade), it looks similar to Unattainable. For a second I thought I had made a mistake by buying it. I realized that you need to use color bases to emphasize or change the color of the shadows. I've been using NYX Jumbo Pencil in Dark Brown for some shades and it has worked great. It makes the color Unattainable to the exact color in the pan. It darkens the color Uncensored (a soft brown shade with rosy undertone close to my skin shade) and makes it into a pretty bronzy shade that reminds me of Iman's eyeshadow in Tigereye (which is one of my fav's). To help with shadows blending into one another, I suggest you mix a shade with a matte one. For ex, I will use Unbelievable all over the lid and then mix Uncensored and Unspoken together and put in the crease. Having a different eyeshadow finish esp a matte will help to break up that annoying blending that the shadows offer. Don't get me wrong the eyeshadows are great quality but some of them do tend to blend into one another. I would definitely experiment using color bases and try out different looks with the eyeshadows before giving up. Btw, I absolutely love the Unbelievable, Uncensored, and Unspoken look I mentioned above. When I first saw Unbelievable (rosy gold) I thought it was a beautiful shade but it looked weird on my lid. I have never had problems with pink shades but Unbelievable was weird. But adding the other shades makes such a beautiful look. It reminds me of Clinique's Strawberry Fudge duo which is one of my favorite duo's. It's like the older more subtle but just as beautiful sister of Strawberry Fudge.

I am an NC45 shade but more neutral with an olive undertone. Not as yellow as a typical NC45. I think this palette is perfect for all skintones/undertones, esp ppl who felt Naked 1 was too warm. I think its great for daywear/office wear. The looks are soft, romantic, and glowy. The only issue I have with the palette is I wish Lorac would have picked a darker color for the container since yellow will stain easily. I also wish the names were more unique so I could remember them lol.

on 11/23/2012 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I noticed that there were no reviews from dark women on this gem of a palette- let me be the first brownie to say that this is an AWESOME palette! The colors are very pigmented and look really beautiful against brown skin. Because you have matte colors within the palette, you can get a complete look out of this palette- all you need to add is liner and mascara. : ) I used UDPP and the colors stayed on all day until I washed it off that night.

The packaging is sleek and would be perfect to throw in a bag while you're on the go.

I haven't tried the primer, so no comment on that.

Video Reviews & Tutorials