LORAC Unzipped

LORAC Unzipped
UnzippedLorac Unzipped

4.4

on 2/20/2014 4:16:00 PM

Forewarning: My review is also a comparison to Urban Decay's Naked 3, which I explain below why I did this. If you are thinking about getting one over the other, this might be useful.

So I am a total eyeshadow junkie but originally thought that this palette was unnecessary because I have Naked 3 and pretty much all the neutral palettes (Naked 1, Basics, Lorac Pro, etc.) When I saw this, it was pretty but nothing outstanding, so I walked on by it in Ulta. It wasn't until a couple of weeks later I was on YouTube and people kept talking about it and saying it was a warmer version of Naked 3 that I started to relook at it. 2 or 3 of my favorite gurus said that they loved Naked 3, but it was too many cool tones to do a variety of different looks and that they had to pull from other palettes to make a complete look and to warm up the eye. I don't remember who said that this palette was perfect for that, but that's what sold me. This was going to be my companion palette to Naked 3.

I went to Ulta that night and did some swatching. I love the warmer more neutral tones of this rosey brown palette and the pigmentation is on point!!!!! It only has 8 colors compared to Naked 3's 12, but the pans are considerably larger so I feel the amount of actual product your getting more than makes up for that. They are buttery smooth, very blendable and glide onto the eye. The colors as I have stated are warmer and more neutral (less pink) than my Naked 3 and the variety of matte and shimmer colors is better than N3, IMHO. I feel like this palette has more/better transition colors and the highlight isn't super shimmer and warmer than the one N3. The eyeshadow in general is less dry/chalky and I feel like it blends better and there is less fallout than with the N3. There are also a couple of the pinkier shades in N3 that are glittery and chunkier. This has it's place, but does not really lend itself to everyday use, whereas, the Unzipped has shimmer shades, they are smooth and can easily lend themselves to daytime looks. Nobody wants to look like Barbie at the office, which N3 can border on if your not careful.

The packaging is not as fancy as N3, definitely more simplistic. Its just a book style with a magnetic lid to keep it closed. It is very slim, probably my skinniest palette, which I really like because this palette is even small enough to carry in a purse and great for travel. The mirror in it is large, which I also like for the previously stated reason of travel. The N3 case is sturdier, tin? I got mine at Ulta for $40, which is $12 less than N3 and I got a generous sample of the Lorac eye primer which I really like. It's comparable to my staple Milani, with it's squeeze tube packaging and the consistency of the product. This is where Lorac beats N3. Previously, when UD releases a palette they gave generous sample sizes of their primer potion. This was not the case with N3. They gave 1 use samples of their 4 different primers, which I did not like as much. UD N3 does come with a really nice double ended brush, one side good for blending the other for packing on color. This brush is nice and I do like using it.

I bought the Unzipped palette to compliment my N3 and found that I do just the opposite. I am fair with blonde hair and blue eyes so I do need to keep the tones a little warmer than the N3 allows. If I don't the pink looks make me look tired or a little sickly. I don't have this problem with the Unzipped.

Overall: This is my new go to. I'm picking it up over all my other palettes and have been for several weeks. The texture and quality of the shadows, the user friendly hues and blendability and universality of this palette far exceeded all initial expectations and I'm so glad I picked this up. If your thinking about it, just do it. Especially because this palette is a little more wallet friendly then some of the other palettes out right now.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have been in love with this palette since I bought it about 6 months ago, and am still in love every time I use it. It is my favorite makeup purchase I've made in years and other manufacturers should take note when devising their eye palettes.

It is mostly shimmers with a few mattes, in shades of gold, peach, bronze, mocha, mauve, plum, and a gorgeous purple-tinged dark brown shimmer (a color I've been seeking out for years.)

All of the colors work beautifully together for a variety of looks, and the palette was very well-conceived in that it is complete - one never needs to go outside of the palette to pull a look together.

You can do a matte or shimmery nude, a bronzy glow, a smoky bronze, a plummy smoke, etc. All of the colors are very wearable (not a loser in the bunch) and flattering, and look particularly beautiful on my green-leaning grey eyes. (Often shades in these categories are overly red and make me look sickly or bruised.)

I have a million shades of gold, copper, bronze and brown, but the colors in this palette are notably unique and complex versions of these hues. What's more is that it lends itself to all seasons. I bought it to wear in the summer, but it's equally perfect for fall, winter and spring. I could not recommend this palette more highly. It makes me hesitant to buy others, and regret past purchases, as few eye palettes are this thoughtfully put together.

I should note that it came with a deluxe sample of LORAC eye primer, which I've really come to like. It's creamy rather than drying (ala UDPP, TFSI, Stila) and my makeup stays put all day long.

on 10/8/2014 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is by far my favorite Lorac palette. The colors are beautiful and so creamy and pigmented. A while back I purchaed the Urban Decay naked 3 palette and hated it so much I gave it away. For me the colors in this palette were much kinder to mature fair skin tones. I found the colors to be very blendable and easier to work with while being very comparable to naked 3.

on 9/18/2016 3:00:00 AM

I love this palette! This is my 4th palette from Lorac and I should say this is my new favourite.

Pros:
1. The quality of the shadows is consistent with Lorac shadows. This comes on top of the list for my Lorac palettes. Close second is my Lorac Pro (first palette), then my Lorac Pro To Go and lastly my Lorac Pro Metals.
2. The shadows are buttery and soft.
3. They are all very pigmented. I have always considered Lorac shimmer shadows as pressed pigments because they are as pigmented and concentrated as shadow pigments.
4. The packaging is sleek. It comes in a thin cardboard with a sizeable mirror on the underside. It is great for travel as it does not take up too much space.
5. The pans in this palette are slightly bigger than those in Lorac Pro palettes.
6. I love the colours on this palette more than the Unzipped Gold. Dare I say, the rosy gold tones in this palette is even better than the Urban Decay Naked 3.
7. This is not limited edition so don't worry about running out of stocks.
8. This is definitely a must have and a worthy palette in every makeup lover's collection!

Cons:
1. Some shadows tend to kick up upon dipping the brush but that's only because of how soft the shadows are.
2. These are priced almost the same as the Pro palettes for lesser number of shades. Original Pro palettes come in 16 shades while this palette only has 10. But since the pans are bigger, the actual amount you're getting is actually almost the same. Still, this is a bit pricey.
3. Like any Lorac shadows, an base or primer for your lids is ideal to keep the shadows in place especially when you have oily lids. Pat on the shadows instead of brushing them on your lids for minimal fall out.
4. Tap off your brush after dipping in the shadows if you don't want to risk getting fall outs especially when you have done your face makeup prior to putting on your eyeshadow.

on 11/24/2013 9:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am very pleased with this palette. I love the colors of the UD Naked
Palettes, but they are way too shimmery for this 40 year old! Unzipped is a much better fit for me. All of the shades are flattering with my light skin and blue eyes. They are long lasting, blend well and IMO well pigmented - not so much that you need to use a light hand, instead you can build it to the perfect level for you. I think this palette would be flattering for most skin tones except for very dark skin.

My only complaint is the price tag - $40 seems a bit steep, but buying each color individually would cost much, much more. However , if I lose this palette or when I hit pan, I will definitely replace it! Good luck!

Update 12/13/13 - I am loving this palette! I constantly try new color combinations and love them. This is my favorite make up purchase in the last few months.

on 7/30/2015 8:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Just for reference I am a NW20 with blue eyes. This palette is beautiful but does nothing for me. The colours just look muddy on me despite trying numerous different mixes. The only way I can use this palette is with other eyeshadows and only one from this. I so wanted to love this & when I open it I still go wow, but on the eyes it's a no.

Update: thanks to Nisha (SugarPuffandFluff) I have finally found a way to make this palette work for me and it is indeed a repurchase.

on 1/3/2015 4:37:00 PM

Wow! I might be the only person that doesn't like this! I ordered it online through amazon.com because Lorac is not sold at Sephora anymore and is difficult to find in Canada. I like the slim packaging and the colours look great in the pan but for me, that's where the positives end. I find that the shadows don't have a lot of pigmentation, especially the lighter colours. I thought maybe is was because of the Lorac primer which I had used, but no...the same lack of pigmentation with UD primer, Laura Mercier, and TF shadow insurance. I'm not sure why these don't show up on me after so many positive reviews. Maybe I was sent a fake palette, but I doubt it. This one is a miss for me.

on 1/18/2013 8:35:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I've always been a neutral eyeshadow girl and with all the "nude" palettes available now I wanted to get one. I spotted this Lorac Unzipped palette in Sephora and instantly was drawn to the pinky brown neutral shades. Another draw was that it contained a nice combination of mattes and shimmers.

I am so happy I bought it! All the colors are very pigmented...you barely have to touch the brush to the shadows to get plenty of color. There are ten large (about 1 inch sq.) eyeshadows. 6 have shimmer to them, 4 are matte and there are none that contain glitter. The colors range from champagne, gold, bronze, mauve, burgandy and several shades of brown. These colors compliment my blue/gray eyes so well. The shadows are buttery smooth and blend like a dream. No fall out, no creasing and the colors last all day. This palette also comes with a mini Lorac eyeshadow primer, which is very good. It glides on your lids and isn't drying like some primers.

I really can't find any fault with this palette. I've been using it everyday since getting it. I highly recommend this neutral palette to anyone on the market for one with a good shimmer to matte ratio. This palette doesn't get nearly enough attention it deserves and is often overlooked.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This seems to be the palette of the moment, and it will transition us all into the spring and summer. Coffee, chocolate, caramel, rich rose gold, mauves, and burgundy are a new trend for a gradual smokey eye. I think it's more interesting than basic brown or gray/black. I always love the quality of Lorac palettes. They put a lot of thought into them, and they are the same quality as the rest of the Lorac line. This palette is smaller in person than it seems in photos, so be aware of that. It is also $40, more expensive than Too Faced, not as expensive as Urban Decay. If you're not going to use it, then I don't see a point in buying it. I would swatch all of these under a good primer to see how they look on your skin tone. Overall, it's a unique palette, and I love it. There are a lot more reviews for this on Sephora's website, over 80 reviews already, and 99% positive.

on 12/24/2013 12:59:00 AM

I thought it about time to share my love of this palette, not that it needs any more great reviews!

Like all LORAC eyeshadows, I found the shadows in this palette to have great pigmentation and wearability. All of Carol Shaw's eyeshadows are softly textured for easy application and blending without any tugging on your lids. This palette is a mix of mattes and shimmers, some more shimmery than others but all of them are absolutely beautiful and easy to wear.

This palette, the LORAC PRO palette and the little fold-up PRO to Go palette are in constant rotation in my collection and rarely see the inside of a drawer as they stay on top of my vanity for constant use.