LORAC Unzipped

4.6

on 11/23/2012 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I noticed that there were no reviews from dark women on this gem of a palette- let me be the first brownie to say that this is an AWESOME palette! The colors are very pigmented and look really beautiful against brown skin. Because you have matte colors within the palette, you can get a complete look out of this palette- all you need to add is liner and mascara. : ) I used UDPP and the colors stayed on all day until I washed it off that night.

The packaging is sleek and would be perfect to throw in a bag while you're on the go.

I haven't tried the primer, so no comment on that.

on 2/20/2014 4:16:00 PM

Forewarning: My review is also a comparison to Urban Decay's Naked 3, which I explain below why I did this. If you are thinking about getting one over the other, this might be useful.

So I am a total eyeshadow junkie but originally thought that this palette was unnecessary because I have Naked 3 and pretty much all the neutral palettes (Naked 1, Basics, Lorac Pro, etc.) When I saw this, it was pretty but nothing outstanding, so I walked on by it in Ulta. It wasn't until a couple of weeks later I was on YouTube and people kept talking about it and saying it was a warmer version of Naked 3 that I started to relook at it. 2 or 3 of my favorite gurus said that they loved Naked 3, but it was too many cool tones to do a variety of different looks and that they had to pull from other palettes to make a complete look and to warm up the eye. I don't remember who said that this palette was perfect for that, but that's what sold me. This was going to be my companion palette to Naked 3.

I went to Ulta that night and did some swatching. I love the warmer more neutral tones of this rosey brown palette and the pigmentation is on point!!!!! It only has 8 colors compared to Naked 3's 12, but the pans are considerably larger so I feel the amount of actual product your getting more than makes up for that. They are buttery smooth, very blendable and glide onto the eye. The colors as I have stated are warmer and more neutral (less pink) than my Naked 3 and the variety of matte and shimmer colors is better than N3, IMHO. I feel like this palette has more/better transition colors and the highlight isn't super shimmer and warmer than the one N3. The eyeshadow in general is less dry/chalky and I feel like it blends better and there is less fallout than with the N3. There are also a couple of the pinkier shades in N3 that are glittery and chunkier. This has it's place, but does not really lend itself to everyday use, whereas, the Unzipped has shimmer shades, they are smooth and can easily lend themselves to daytime looks. Nobody wants to look like Barbie at the office, which N3 can border on if your not careful.

The packaging is not as fancy as N3, definitely more simplistic. Its just a book style with a magnetic lid to keep it closed. It is very slim, probably my skinniest palette, which I really like because this palette is even small enough to carry in a purse and great for travel. The mirror in it is large, which I also like for the previously stated reason of travel. The N3 case is sturdier, tin? I got mine at Ulta for $40, which is $12 less than N3 and I got a generous sample of the Lorac eye primer which I really like. It's comparable to my staple Milani, with it's squeeze tube packaging and the consistency of the product. This is where Lorac beats N3. Previously, when UD releases a palette they gave generous sample sizes of their primer potion. This was not the case with N3. They gave 1 use samples of their 4 different primers, which I did not like as much. UD N3 does come with a really nice double ended brush, one side good for blending the other for packing on color. This brush is nice and I do like using it.

I bought the Unzipped palette to compliment my N3 and found that I do just the opposite. I am fair with blonde hair and blue eyes so I do need to keep the tones a little warmer than the N3 allows. If I don't the pink looks make me look tired or a little sickly. I don't have this problem with the Unzipped.

Overall: This is my new go to. I'm picking it up over all my other palettes and have been for several weeks. The texture and quality of the shadows, the user friendly hues and blendability and universality of this palette far exceeded all initial expectations and I'm so glad I picked this up. If your thinking about it, just do it. Especially because this palette is a little more wallet friendly then some of the other palettes out right now.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have been in love with this palette since I bought it about 6 months ago, and am still in love every time I use it. It is my favorite makeup purchase I've made in years and other manufacturers should take note when devising their eye palettes.

It is mostly shimmers with a few mattes, in shades of gold, peach, bronze, mocha, mauve, plum, and a gorgeous purple-tinged dark brown shimmer (a color I've been seeking out for years.)

All of the colors work beautifully together for a variety of looks, and the palette was very well-conceived in that it is complete - one never needs to go outside of the palette to pull a look together.

You can do a matte or shimmery nude, a bronzy glow, a smoky bronze, a plummy smoke, etc. All of the colors are very wearable (not a loser in the bunch) and flattering, and look particularly beautiful on my green-leaning grey eyes. (Often shades in these categories are overly red and make me look sickly or bruised.)

I have a million shades of gold, copper, bronze and brown, but the colors in this palette are notably unique and complex versions of these hues. What's more is that it lends itself to all seasons. I bought it to wear in the summer, but it's equally perfect for fall, winter and spring. I could not recommend this palette more highly. It makes me hesitant to buy others, and regret past purchases, as few eye palettes are this thoughtfully put together.

I should note that it came with a deluxe sample of LORAC eye primer, which I've really come to like. It's creamy rather than drying (ala UDPP, TFSI, Stila) and my makeup stays put all day long.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I love this palette. I am a golden deep/dark complexion (NW 47). I was looking for a neutral palette with good pigmentation. I was going to get the UD-Naked 2 palette but I didn't want all shimmer colors. This palette has a combination of matte and shimmer colors. There are 10 colors all together; 4 are matte, 6 are shimmers, all are beautifully pigmented colors. The palette has pink, mauve, beige, gold, tan and browns. Plus, the colors are larger pots of color then the Naked 2 so I'm thinking its going to last a while. I researched so many different neutral palettes i.e. Bobbi Brown- rich chocolate, Urban Decay- Naked 2, NYX- neutral platte, physicians palette and more. They were either too much shimmer or not pigmented enough. If you are looking for a pigmented, neutral palate, with a mixture of mattes AND shimmers; THIS IS IT!

on 11/25/2013 11:06:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This one to me is just overall much better than the Naked 3.
Don't shoot me.

There is much less shimmer, a never variety of burgundy and rosey shades and it is sleek.
The shades are SUPER useful in the winter time! I just love these shades and the creaminess and blendability!! I can'tsay it enough. The nakes are cute too!! Begin with "un" on every one of them

This has been my recent obsession lately.
The shadows are buttery and pigmented. Very blend able and I think they would work on just about every skin tone. Maybe not deep tones but I'm unsure.

Overall a great buy!!

Another win from LORAC if you ask me. I love this and the Pro Palette and enjoy using them as much as possible. I have to give my opinion on this verse Naked3 since I own both. In my opinion they are 2 completely different palettes. Naked 3 most definitely pulls more cool. Whereas, Unzipped pulls warmer or much warmer than N3 that's for sure, so to me I can't compare them. I use them both and love them both and will not choose sides as I luv all makeup! :P
Now onto this lovely palette.:) You get 10 shades which are much bigger than Pro though it's around the same price. So, product wise with Unzipped you get more product than the Pro. It has 4 matte shades and 6 satins or semi shimmery I would say.

I am very cool toned and have no problem working with these neutrals. Dupe alert Unconditional is almost the exact same as Nooner. It's interesting Mauve from the pro and this one all are very similar to Nooner or vise versa. So for me it's great because Unconditional is my favorite crease colour. Unbelievable and Unreal are both very similar as well, with Unbelievable having a more pinkish copper undertone. While Unreal has a more light pink with a touch of gold undertone. Both are gorgeous and 2 of my favorite shades in the palette.

I love Unspoken when I am doing a cut crease it is so buttery and mixes so well with Unconditional and Unspoken. All the shadows are very soft, buttery, pigmented, and are super easy to blend. I really love this palette and love how I can do almost any look with it. From daytime to night this palette is so versatile. I find the primer that comes with it also works very well and I like it. I just wish the packaging was sturdier but I love the slimness and ease of travel with this. To me if you love neutrals it's a must have. If you collect palettes then this is for you. Also if you want a bunch of shadows that work super well together this bad boy does that too. Love! Totally Recommended!

on 12/27/2013 4:44:00 PM

At 1st I was undecided on whether to get this palette or the urban decay naked 3 palette. After swatching them both in the store I came to the conclusion that, the naked 3 palette was a little too frosty for my tastes and honestly I think the unzipped palette shades are kind of a more"grown up" way to do a nude eye without having to worry about all the glitter. when I 1st applied some of the shades to my eyes, I was a little nervous about the shades being a little too warm for my cool undertone but wow these colors make my green eyes pop! this was my 1st lorac purchase and I'm curious to try some of their other products.

IMO, LORAC palettes are the unsung heroes of the makeup industry!! I have eye shadows from MAC, TF, UD, MUFE, SmashBox, Tarte, and several other companies but I have NEVER found a better palette than this one! I was a huge fan of my Naked palette and considered it my HG until I discovered this little gem at my local Ulta. I am a redhead with a medium skin tone (with reddish undertones), freckles, and dark brown eyes and I was looking for a pink/brown combination of colors to wear with a great new outfit I had purchased. I don't normally check out LORAC eye shadows but was having very little luck finding the right shades in my normal favorite lines so I gave it a shot and boy, was I glad I did! The colors in this palette are absolutely gorgeous and glide on like a dream!! I use my UDPP (my HG primer that will have to be pried out of my cold, dead hands as that's the only way I will ever give it up) and these shadows stay with me all day long (I'm talking 12+ hours on fairly oily eyelids). I literally have to scrub them off at night! The colors all blend beautifully and the shimmery shades don't have big flakes of sparkle in them. The simply glow on your eyelids, creating a very captivating look, no matter how you do your eyes. I really like to mix the shimmer and matte shades for a higher level of dimension, especially when I'm going out for the evening. The pigmentation of these colors is absolutely perfect! You can use a lighter hand for a more casual look or build the colors up without looking like a clown. I do not experience ANY fallout with these shadows either, which is much more than I can say for some of my other palettes, especially Too Faced. I have spent an untold amount of time playing in my makeup and god only knows how much money on eye shadows (it's a problem, I admit it!) and I have NEVER found an eye shadow or palette that I love as much as this one. I loved it so much that I've since purchased the Femme Fatale palette, as well as the Pro Palette. If you are looking for an outstanding eyeshadow that will outlast you in a day, that is a delight to put on, that comes in an amazing array of colors and that is one of the most reasonably priced shadows on the market, visit the LORAC counter. You'll be very glad you did!!

on 10/8/2014 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is by far my favorite Lorac palette. The colors are beautiful and so creamy and pigmented. A while back I purchaed the Urban Decay naked 3 palette and hated it so much I gave it away. For me the colors in this palette were much kinder to mature fair skin tones. I found the colors to be very blendable and easier to work with while being very comparable to naked 3.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

Love. This. Palette. I love rose gold so this neutral palette really caught my eye because most of the shades have a rosy hue to them. I originally purchased UD Naked 2 because I wanted a different neutral look but I realized quickly that the shades in Naked 2 were making me look washed out and tired. The cool taupes and browns in Naked 2 didn't work well with my medium olive skin and dark circles. So, I exchanged Naked 2 for Lorac Unzipped and I'm much happier. In this palette, you get mostly shimmery shades but also 4 matte shades. I have to say, I love all of the shades in the palette. I even love the matte shades which normally I don't typically care for. The quality of this palette is A+. All shades in this palette are smooth, soft to the touch and pigmented. Along with this palette, you get a mini behind the scenes primer which is also a great quality primer. To compare to my UD Naked 1, there are some similar shades but the overall tones in the two palettes are very different. Naked 1 has a yellow gold theme that runs in all of the shades and the Unzipped palette all have a rose gold tone in all the shades.