Catrice Prime and Fine Smoothing Refiner

Catrice Prime and Fine Smoothing Refiner

3.1

CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, CYCLOHEXASILOXANE, ISOSTEARYL ISOSTEARATE, TALC, CERA MICROCRISTALLINA (MICROCRYSTALLINE WAX), DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, ISOPROPYL PALMITATE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, SILICA DIMETHYL SILYLATE, LANOLIN, DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, DIMETHICONOL, PROPYLENE CARBONATE, HYDRATED SILICA, DIMETHICONE/METHICONE COPOLYMER, MICA, PEG-8, ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE, TOCOPHEROL, SILICA, ASCORBYL PALMITATE, ASCORBIC ACID, CITRIC ACID, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, CI 75470 (CARMINE), CI 77163 (BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE), CI 77491 (IRON OXIDES), CI 77891 (TITANIUM DIOXIDE).

on 3/12/2017 6:49:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I have very oily skin and this primer keeps my face mostly intact and matte throughout the day. I've been using Kat Von D lock it foundation which didn't work for me at all and I've hated and grudgingly used it for a month but since using it with this primer makes it so much more bearable for me now.

on 5/17/2016 8:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I picked this up on a whim one day after running out of primer and this is honestly one of the worst primers I have ever used. It was fairly cheap as most Catrice products are but I have other products from Catrice which are great so I trusted it!

It's kind of pink in the jar but comes out clear on the face. It's supposed to blur pores, which I definitely didn't notice. I found it really difficult to apply my foundation without it being streaky, but that's my own fault for not matching it to a water based primer. It smells a little chemical-ish but is soft to touch. It didn't help my make up stay, if anything it made it come off quicker.

After about 2 weeks of trying this I noticed my skin getting worse and worse, and now I have a lot of spots which I NEVER get! The only good thing about this product was the price and I guess you get what you pay for in this case!

on 5/16/2016 7:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

It has a greasy and heavy feeling, it only sits on your skin blurring it out. It doesn't help oiliness and it doesn't make your foundation last longer.

The packaging isn't great either (a jar makes it kind of gross, digging into it with your fingers and nails).

The smell isn't bothering me.

on 8/29/2015 8:53:00 AM

_____ OVERVIEW
Catrice "Prime and Fine Smoothing Refiner", contains 14g (0.49 oz) of product and comes in a screw top jar.
Claims: "Base for an instantly refined, smooth and soft skin appearance. Makes pores and lines invisible."

_____ CONSISTENCY, COLOR
The color is a very pale pink. When spread on the skin, it slightly brightens it, but doesn't look obviously pink. The color goes on very sheer.

This primer contains a lot of silicones, so it spreads easily on the skin. It has a heavy, greasy feeling when you put it on the skin. The finish itself isn't very oily, but it gives a slight sheen.

_____ CLAIM: smooth, refined skin. Invisible pores and lines
The one thing this primer is really good at, is that it definitely blurs out the skin and makes pores and lines less obvious. I wouldn't say that it makes them "invisible" though.
My skin does feel smooth after using this, but it also feels very heavy on the skin. You can feel the layer of primer sit on your skin, and personally, I don't like this feeling at all. When I used this underneath foundation, it gave my skin a more flawless look, and photographed *very* well. I don't think this made my foundation last any longer though.
This works quite well when used under the eye (to prevent concealer from creasing), but I wouldn't recommend it as an eyelid primer.

_____ FINAL OPINION: 2/5, wouldn't buy it again.

This is a very basic primer, and it does exactly what it says on the packaging.
It is *only* meant for blurring out the skin! Catrice doesn't mention anything about it making foundation last longer (and it doesn't), and it's not a good eyeshadow base either.
It works quite well under the eye, and gives a nice airbrushed finish when you apply foundation on top of it.

The ingredients aren't the best for your skin (silicones!) so I only use it under the eye, or on my whole face on special occasions.
Not only is the packaging not very sanitary, with 14g of product it's also very small jar compared to other primers. For what it is, I think this primer is heavily overpriced.

+ blurs out lines and especially pores very well
+ when you put foundation on top, it gives a smoother, airbrushed finish
+/- doesn't really make foundation last longer on skin
- the packaging is not very sanitary (screw top jar)
- heavy, greasy feeling
- expensive for what it is; you need a lot to cover the whole face and the packaging is very small compared to other primers

In my opinion this is a dupe for clarins instant prime, the red jar with gold cap. And I can buy 6 of these for the price of one of the clarins. I need this sort of primer under my Chanel healthy glow liquid makeup. And through trial and error I came across clarins a number of years ago. I have been faithful to clarins for along time. Bout this catrice on a whim and OMG I am so happy I tried it. No issues with breakouts on my 53 year old skin. And it smooths out the lines and provides somewhat of some moisture to my skin that only seems dry in the winter. I live in wis. I think if you like Clarins instant smooth primer you might just for this catrice primer.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I got this primer as a free gift with a purchase and I'm so glad I didn't pay for it! It's a disappointing product for me. It makes the skin kinda smooth and it gives a soft luminosity but that's all. I personally didn't notice any drastic improvement to my pores or fine lines, just a light blur. It didn't help foundation to last longer...actually it made my foundation wearing off easier.

I'm using Clinique Stay-Matte foundation which works great even without a primer, so I found Catrice Prime and Fine smoothing refiner useless since it reduces my foundation's longevity.

on 1/4/2014 3:21:00 PM

This product was a huge let down for me as I really wanted to like it.
As a primer, it probably does its job decently. It smoothed out my pores and it felt really nice on my skin, kind of silky.
However, it broke out my acne-prone skin madly. My skin haven't been this bad for years.
Would not recommend and definitely not repurchasing again.

on 3/28/2014 1:22:00 PM

It does do it's work. It blurs out my pores and any lines. It's still visible though. After applying it, my face feels super smooth :-) It feels like spreading butter which is not oily. It does help my foundation to apply better. It doesn't really help my make up stay longer, but maybe it's just the mixture of products I have on? I do use setting powder. I have used l'oreal true match bb cream, garnier bb cream and revlon new complexion foundation with this. I feel that is decent considering the price of 10SGD or so. However, I feel that it's not very hygenic... Sure I sanitise my hands before application, however I find this pacakaging is a no from me. It's not a HG product for me but probably a cheap alternative! Hope this helped :-)

on 4/1/2015 1:20:00 PM

at first i did liked it cause it mde my skin feel so soft but after a week i broke out like crazy i had 6 new pimples and i searched their website and looked for the ingredients and they are so many pore clogging things in this product i do not recommed this product!

I used to use this as an eyeshadow base, because I couldn't find the actual product under their brand. It comes in a jar, which is a bit unsanitary, in my opinion. Application is smooth and it goes on translucent, but I have to admit that the pinkish hue it has is a little off-putting and suspicious. It makes a fairly decent base, but it is a little too oily for my liking, which took off lots of points.

Popular Primer/ Correctors