Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals in 1.2, fairly light

Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals in 1.2, fairly light

3.5

Lauroyl Lysine, Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI77891), Soil Minerals, Silica, Mica, Calcium Silicate (+/-): Zinc Oxide (CI77947), Iron Oxides (CI77491, CI77492, CI77499)

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

So... I'm underwhelmed. After watching Bare Minerals infomercials throughout childhood and seeing the starter kits at Sephora for so many years, I finally was intrigued enough to try this "miracle" powder foundation. I have oily, acne-prone, sensitive skin. I was using the Youngblood loose mineral foundtion in Ivory and found it too light. Fairly Light is a perfect match for my colouring.

I really like the packaging and the twist shaker. I feel like it's less messy than the Youngblood. I used the same brush and technique (swirl, tap, buff) and brushed in a circular motion starting with the outside my face working inward. The texture is nice and there is no smell. It also has pretty full coverage and masks any redness from blemishes.

The powder looks nice at first, but throughout the day my face gets shiny and slick with oil. I've taken to using a powder puff (one of those cheap ones you buy as a replacement for your powder compact) to blot halfway through the day and I find a lot of the product transfers to the puff.

If I touch my face, the product comes off on my fingers. I tried using a mattifying primer underneath, but it didn't make a huge difference.

Sadface. For $35 CAD at Sephora this definitely wasn't worth it.

Overall, I would not purchase this product again and will go back to the Youngblood in a slightly warmer tone.

on 1/19/2016 6:48:00 PM

I keeps' it brief when it comes to this pseudo-unique powder 'foundation' (can you tell where I'm going?)

It's not buildable. People with flawless skin always buff it on cheerfully, insisting that you can get medium to full coverage. Medium is a stretch, full is a damn lie.

It's true, to build, you do need to work in many (20+ is fine girl, keep goin') light applications versus, if you're like me, kind of 'anchoring' spots around your face right after dipping into a lot of powder, then buffing each spot, effectively dusting most of the excess off. (Sometimes I get too lazy with this technique and I have to go in with a sponge and 'pull up' my anchors...)

Very few shades, a dubious main ingredient, a finish that only a minority will appreciate (glow=shine) , an inflated price and messy, ttteedious application. You're lucky you got these two lippies. Now get outta' here!

To Read all 1146 Reviews, Login or Join

I have been using this product for years and continue to repurchase it for two reasons: great coverage and does not irritate my skin. I have used numerous over the counter foundations, liquid and powder alike and haven’t found anything close to Bare Minerals consistency and coverage. Although I have heard mixed reviews that it’s not great if you have sensitive skin prone to acne, I still continue to use it in my beauty routine. I prefer the "Matte" product over the original for added coverage.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This was the first high end product I ever tried and also one of the first foundations I've ever owned. The colour is perfect for my skin tone, which can be hard to do since I'm so fair. I also find this gives me flawless skin, almost airbrushed sometimes. I use the RealTechniques Expert Face Brush to apply this and it gives really good coverage. I hate this foundation for travel but I did take it to Paris with me and it was fine. Really nice foundation overall!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I used to *love* this foundation while in high school! The key piece of information omitted there is that I was ugly as hell in my teenage days.

I will begin with naming what I actually like about Bare Minerals original powder foundation. I like that it could be built up to medium/full coverage (though not fully opaque... just better than many on the market). I like how easy this foundation is to apply. Powder foundations are always much less tasking than applying liquid foundation so this is great for lazy days! And I like that this gave me a glow without noticeable shimmer.

But the list of pros ends there. Looking back at photos where I know I was wearing this is embarrassing. Fairly Light should be renamed Fairly Orange. My other issues with this powder foundation is it pooled into my crater pores, and the oil absorbing qualities sucked. Last but not least - I really do believe this clogs my pores. And yet I overpaid for it because Bare Minerals is a brand name with too much hype. I will not make that mistake again.

on 6/23/2015 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Been using this for 10 years. I love it. While I can't afford it daily, I use physician's formula in translucent fair and it's a great daily use for cheap. Using both is great for my combo skin in california where it gets hot most days.

on 4/18/2015 5:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

A few disclaimers as to why this foundation suits me perfectly: The day I turned 25, my skin started to freak out over every little thing, and it turned out that I suffer from rosacea! So not only do I have this lovely skin condition, but most liquid foundations have ingredients that my skin is allergic to. I get BEET red skin combined with a few cystic pimples and then surface level clogged pores which turn into zits when I use products that irritate my skin so I felt a little hopeless until I discovered Bare Minerals.

This foundation has done wonders for my skin, and combined with a new sensitive skin regimen, I haven't had a breakout in over a month. I typically apply moisturizer (cetaphil) and then move on to the Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream (SPF 30!) with my hands. I let that set in, and then apply the fairly light foundation with a basic Sonia Kashuk kabuki brush. I like a full coverage so I do the swirl/tap/buff cycle probably three times, but a little goes a long way! It gives a really nice finish, not powdery at all. It's very dewey and glowey (nice adjectives). It feels very velvety, and I was so surprised at the coverage! I also use the concealer which doesn't have quite the coverage I desired, you can still see a bit of the texture and color of the blemish, but I don't really have break outs much anymore so my acne coverage is minimal. The concealer is great for under eye circles, and around the nose area (I use a fluffy eyeshadow brush for this). I use a concealer that's quite dark for my skin but it blends out really well, as long as there isn't too much product deposited on the brush. Next time I will probably purchase the mineral veil because I tend to get a little oily throughout the day without a finishing powder. Another thing I have learned and gotten used to is washing my makeup brushes about every three days. I also wet a wash cloth and wipe out the foundation that collects in the lid, just for less bacteria.

The product smells fine, they don't add any fragrances for obvious reasons. My only qualms with the product is, like I said, that I get kind of oily on t-zone, so I need to apply once more during school/work days and maybe twice if I'm going out later.

One of my favorite things about this foundation and the hydrating gel cream, is that both have SPF added to them which is great for my fair skin. The gel cream has 6.2% of titanium dioxide which is key for rosacea people as any active ingredients that end in "one" or "ene" will cause redness and breakouts.

All in all I truly LOVE this foundation and I'm never going back. It's been wonderful to freely apply makeup without fear that I will wake up the next day with spots all over my face. I totally recommend this foundation.

on 3/22/2015 3:11:00 PM

I have a very sensitive skin, and this product never let me down (only when i happy it badly). It makes my skin look healthy, and it calms down my skin visibly. However, as it requires swish-tap-buff-swish-tap-buff x many, it's just not realistic for me that this ever becomes my daily foundation. It's perfect if i go out, but... if i have 15+ minutes, i rather sleep or study than apply makeup. The result is perfect, and i am going to repurchase it, but it's too ritual-like for my hectic mornings.

Edit: i change this to 4, as it makes me look awful on dry-skin days.

on 3/22/2015 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I decided to buy this foundation as I was using a very heavy foundation everyday and had been getting a few comments off friends (who had seen me without makeup) that I didn't need a thick foundation like the one I was using.
I've always wanted to try this foundation so bought the starter kit, the price is amazing for what you get. The foundation itself is lovely, goes on smoothly and buffs into the skin nicely giving me all the coverage that i need without looking really caked on, the only thing i dont like about the application is that it take a long time to get an even coverage all over the face and sometimes when i go to check my face a few hours after ive applied it, it looks patchy (although this is probably my fault as i sometimes rush the application)
I have dry skin so i expected this foundation to last a little longer on me, and although it can last all day, it will begin to look oily after about 4 hours and i have to apply a blotting powder (also from bare minerals) over the top. This is why I have only given this product 3 lipsticks as it can be quite difficult. I would also not wear this foundation for a night out as it can slide a little and isnt as reliable as my thicker liquid foundation although I love the natural effect it gives me for day to day wear.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

So apparently if you are allergic to nickel like I am, you should NEVER use Bare Minerals. Unfortunately I did not know this when I purchased some last summer.

Because my skin is super pale with pink undertones, it's a crap fest to shade match, so I was basically wearing whatever foundation I could find that came anywhere near matching my skin color. I wanted to try something else because I had been using liquid foundation, which I HATE because they all contain some form of silicone. Silicones cover your skin and don't let it breathe, sweat, or moisturize itself, so a few hours after putting it on, my skin would completely panic and decide that it was drying out, so it would turn my face into an oil field. NOT SEXY.

So I decided to try to find a foundation without silIcones. Loose mineral foundations seemed to be my best bet. And they really appealed to me since my skin is so sensitive and Bare Minerals's big selling point is that they are natural and gentle! Yay!

I bought some and LOVED it. It felt so silky! It took so much less time to apply! It covered my redness and zits without making me look like a street walker! It evened out my skin tone! It wasn't super expensive! It lasted forever! It didn't smell like an old lady! There was NOTHING I didn't like about it.

Until I got gigantic cystic zits that wouldn't heal for MONTHS.

And the rash that appeared around my nose that eventually produced open blisters.

It took several months for these symptoms to manifest on my previously clear and lovely face, so I didn't make the connection, and I kept right on using the offender.

Once the rash turned into blisters, I went to my dermatologist, who thought it was a staph infection. She tested me and when it came back negative, she told me to use ONLY WATER on my face, and then slowly try using different products to see if they were causing it. I stopped using everything and decided to cloister myself in my room until the rash and zits healed, lest some poor unfortunate person happen upon my unsightly visage. After stopping all the products, my face began to heal immediately. I started to use my soap again, and the rash kept improving. The giver of rashes and zits was not my soap then. So I added my lotion, and still the rash continued to improve. The offender was still unknown.

A week later, I had a class that I needed to go to, and I didn't want to go sporting a disgusting tomato red crusty rash, so I decided that using a bit of Bare Minerals to cover it up would be ok. It's meant for sensitive skin anyways, right? So I covered up all that nasty business on my face and went to my class. Not long later, I realized that my face was REALLY ITCHY. It was like there were hundreds of tiny bugs under my skin and they were all fighting to get out. And then it started BURNING. It was like God had decided to punish me by sending Biblical plagues ON MY FACE. "Screw what people think about me" I thought, and rushed to wash the offensive makeup off my already brutalized face. After washing it off, the itching stopped and the burning subsided quite a lot. After that, I googled the crap outta my reaction and found FREAKING TONS of people who had THE EXACT SAME REACTION.

Apparently Bare Minerals uses a chemical called "bismuth oxychloride", which is a hateful, spiteful, vengeful chemical that makes you feel so pretty and tells you nice things, whille actually sneaking under your skin and destroying your skin and any self confidence you may have had beforehand. It appears that people who are allergic to nickel often tend to have a very bad reaction to this ingredient in makeup.

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO NICKEL, DO NOT USE BARE MINERALS.

No. No I would not buy this product again.

I'm off to find a different mineral foundation that does not include pain and regret in it's ingredients.