Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals in 1.2, fairly light

Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals in 1.2, fairly light
Bare Minerals in 1.2, fairly light

3.5

Lauroyl Lysine, Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI77891), Soil Minerals, Silica, Mica, Calcium Silicate (+/-): Zinc Oxide (CI77947), Iron Oxides (CI77491, CI77492, CI77499)

on 11/27/2016 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I've bought three shades, light and fairly light. I use light and fairly light in the following way: I make a solution of the mineral foundation with rose water and glycerin apply it with a brush and either buff it out with a kabuki or a beauty blender. Flawless. The rose water and glycerin idea I got from finding a recipe of something called "Magnolia Balm" which originally used zinc oxide and French chalk! It was sold about a hundred years ago!

This recipe needs a quick shake before applying but stays on all day and evens out my complexion perfectly. One can alter the ratio of mineral make-up to solution for depth of coverage. Four ounces of rose water to a teaspoon of glycerin seems to be good. I use more mineral make-up in a separate bottle (light shade) for concealer.

Note: I no longer need moisturizer. I wash my face with brown sugar, honey and lemon juice then put on the makeup solution and have found that I do not need anything else!! My skin stays hydrated and good all through the day and through the night.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

So... I'm underwhelmed. After watching Bare Minerals infomercials throughout childhood and seeing the starter kits at Sephora for so many years, I finally was intrigued enough to try this "miracle" powder foundation. I have oily, acne-prone, sensitive skin. I was using the Youngblood loose mineral foundtion in Ivory and found it too light. Fairly Light is a perfect match for my colouring.

I really like the packaging and the twist shaker. I feel like it's less messy than the Youngblood. I used the same brush and technique (swirl, tap, buff) and brushed in a circular motion starting with the outside my face working inward. The texture is nice and there is no smell. It also has pretty full coverage and masks any redness from blemishes.

The powder looks nice at first, but throughout the day my face gets shiny and slick with oil. I've taken to using a powder puff (one of those cheap ones you buy as a replacement for your powder compact) to blot halfway through the day and I find a lot of the product transfers to the puff.

If I touch my face, the product comes off on my fingers. I tried using a mattifying primer underneath, but it didn't make a huge difference.

Sadface. For $35 CAD at Sephora this definitely wasn't worth it.

Overall, I would not purchase this product again and will go back to the Youngblood in a slightly warmer tone.

To Read all 1147 Reviews, Login or Join

on 1/19/2016 6:48:00 PM

I keeps' it brief when it comes to this pseudo-unique powder 'foundation' (can you tell where I'm going?)

It's not buildable. People with flawless skin always buff it on cheerfully, insisting that you can get medium to full coverage. Medium is a stretch, full is a damn lie.

It's true, to build, you do need to work in many (20+ is fine girl, keep goin') light applications versus, if you're like me, kind of 'anchoring' spots around your face right after dipping into a lot of powder, then buffing each spot, effectively dusting most of the excess off. (Sometimes I get too lazy with this technique and I have to go in with a sponge and 'pull up' my anchors...)

Very few shades, a dubious main ingredient, a finish that only a minority will appreciate (glow=shine) , an inflated price and messy, ttteedious application. You're lucky you got these two lippies. Now get outta' here!

I have been using this product for years and continue to repurchase it for two reasons: great coverage and does not irritate my skin. I have used numerous over the counter foundations, liquid and powder alike and haven’t found anything close to Bare Minerals consistency and coverage. Although I have heard mixed reviews that it’s not great if you have sensitive skin prone to acne, I still continue to use it in my beauty routine. I prefer the "Matte" product over the original for added coverage.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This was the first high end product I ever tried and also one of the first foundations I've ever owned. The colour is perfect for my skin tone, which can be hard to do since I'm so fair. I also find this gives me flawless skin, almost airbrushed sometimes. I use the RealTechniques Expert Face Brush to apply this and it gives really good coverage. I hate this foundation for travel but I did take it to Paris with me and it was fine. Really nice foundation overall!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I used to *love* this foundation while in high school! The key piece of information omitted there is that I was ugly as hell in my teenage days.

I will begin with naming what I actually like about Bare Minerals original powder foundation. I like that it could be built up to medium/full coverage (though not fully opaque... just better than many on the market). I like how easy this foundation is to apply. Powder foundations are always much less tasking than applying liquid foundation so this is great for lazy days! And I like that this gave me a glow without noticeable shimmer.

But the list of pros ends there. Looking back at photos where I know I was wearing this is embarrassing. Fairly Light should be renamed Fairly Orange. My other issues with this powder foundation is it pooled into my crater pores, and the oil absorbing qualities sucked. Last but not least - I really do believe this clogs my pores. And yet I overpaid for it because Bare Minerals is a brand name with too much hype. I will not make that mistake again.

on 6/23/2015 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Been using this for 10 years. I love it. While I can't afford it daily, I use physician's formula in translucent fair and it's a great daily use for cheap. Using both is great for my combo skin in california where it gets hot most days.

on 4/18/2015 5:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

A few disclaimers as to why this foundation suits me perfectly: The day I turned 25, my skin started to freak out over every little thing, and it turned out that I suffer from rosacea! So not only do I have this lovely skin condition, but most liquid foundations have ingredients that my skin is allergic to. I get BEET red skin combined with a few cystic pimples and then surface level clogged pores which turn into zits when I use products that irritate my skin so I felt a little hopeless until I discovered Bare Minerals.

This foundation has done wonders for my skin, and combined with a new sensitive skin regimen, I haven't had a breakout in over a month. I typically apply moisturizer (cetaphil) and then move on to the Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream (SPF 30!) with my hands. I let that set in, and then apply the fairly light foundation with a basic Sonia Kashuk kabuki brush. I like a full coverage so I do the swirl/tap/buff cycle probably three times, but a little goes a long way! It gives a really nice finish, not powdery at all. It's very dewey and glowey (nice adjectives). It feels very velvety, and I was so surprised at the coverage! I also use the concealer which doesn't have quite the coverage I desired, you can still see a bit of the texture and color of the blemish, but I don't really have break outs much anymore so my acne coverage is minimal. The concealer is great for under eye circles, and around the nose area (I use a fluffy eyeshadow brush for this). I use a concealer that's quite dark for my skin but it blends out really well, as long as there isn't too much product deposited on the brush. Next time I will probably purchase the mineral veil because I tend to get a little oily throughout the day without a finishing powder. Another thing I have learned and gotten used to is washing my makeup brushes about every three days. I also wet a wash cloth and wipe out the foundation that collects in the lid, just for less bacteria.

The product smells fine, they don't add any fragrances for obvious reasons. My only qualms with the product is, like I said, that I get kind of oily on t-zone, so I need to apply once more during school/work days and maybe twice if I'm going out later.

One of my favorite things about this foundation and the hydrating gel cream, is that both have SPF added to them which is great for my fair skin. The gel cream has 6.2% of titanium dioxide which is key for rosacea people as any active ingredients that end in "one" or "ene" will cause redness and breakouts.

All in all I truly LOVE this foundation and I'm never going back. It's been wonderful to freely apply makeup without fear that I will wake up the next day with spots all over my face. I totally recommend this foundation.

on 3/22/2015 3:11:00 PM

I have a very sensitive skin, and this product never let me down (only when i happy it badly). It makes my skin look healthy, and it calms down my skin visibly. However, as it requires swish-tap-buff-swish-tap-buff x many, it's just not realistic for me that this ever becomes my daily foundation. It's perfect if i go out, but... if i have 15+ minutes, i rather sleep or study than apply makeup. The result is perfect, and i am going to repurchase it, but it's too ritual-like for my hectic mornings.

Edit: i change this to 4, as it makes me look awful on dry-skin days.

on 3/22/2015 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I decided to buy this foundation as I was using a very heavy foundation everyday and had been getting a few comments off friends (who had seen me without makeup) that I didn't need a thick foundation like the one I was using.
I've always wanted to try this foundation so bought the starter kit, the price is amazing for what you get. The foundation itself is lovely, goes on smoothly and buffs into the skin nicely giving me all the coverage that i need without looking really caked on, the only thing i dont like about the application is that it take a long time to get an even coverage all over the face and sometimes when i go to check my face a few hours after ive applied it, it looks patchy (although this is probably my fault as i sometimes rush the application)
I have dry skin so i expected this foundation to last a little longer on me, and although it can last all day, it will begin to look oily after about 4 hours and i have to apply a blotting powder (also from bare minerals) over the top. This is why I have only given this product 3 lipsticks as it can be quite difficult. I would also not wear this foundation for a night out as it can slide a little and isnt as reliable as my thicker liquid foundation although I love the natural effect it gives me for day to day wear.