TEMPTU BASE Smooth & Matte Primer

2.8

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

This primer was the furthest from matte and smoothing that I've ever tried. It felt so greasy and slippery while not offering any kind of smoothing of my skin imperfections. It made my skin feel slippery, but that's hardly the same thing. It melts my makeup right off in the spots that I apply it. In my opinion, that is the exact opposite of what a primer is supposed to do. I hate to be harsh but this product really performed poorly for me personally.

I got this primer in a beauty subscription box, and was a little confused on it's use. I assume it's meant to be used just with hand application, as it wouldn't make sense for any temptu products that need to utilize their airbrush machines be sent to subscribers. So, I just used it with my fingers.

I have really mixed feelings about the results. The primer itself is very white, almost a wet glue like texture, and it has a chemically smell, and is very thick. It does create a really even surface, but it does a lot more than that. For my skin, when I applied makeup, it was waaay more vibrant than when I use my usual mineral hydrating primer. I assume this must be an intentional effect of the primer, as it is super intense and noticeably different than any primer I've ever used. My usually slightly-too-dark foundation was neon bright, and I looked a little pale and doll like because the makeup I put on look so much more like...makeup? It's a difficult phenomenon to describe. Normally my makeup will blend and soak into my skin pretty quickly, but any layer I put on stayed very apparent, almost standing out from my actual skin layer. Even my blush and eye shadow was really noticeable with only slight application.

I've used temptu products before, and for the most part the makeup routine of anyone using temptu is designed for intense looks that can be achieved quickly. Bridal occasions, tv events, etc. After using this primer, I would say it's not for everyday looks, or even girls night out looks. This is for when you want to do a photoshoot, or you're doing an on screen piece where your makeup needs to look extreme from a distance. I tried using this just for a date night look, did my makeup as usual, and it just ended up looking waaay too intense.

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I applied this product with my fingers as I do not have the Temptu Air. It did its job - gave me a smooth looking canvas. I think its price point is a bit high because it has even more popular competitors that offer similar if not slightly better results. All in all this product does what it says and gives you a smooth canvas to start with.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

As a primer this was mediocre. It smoothed my skin out a little before my foundation, but nothing significant and had no effect on how long my makeup stayed on. It actually made me more oily throughout the day and ended up breaking me out. I don't have oily skin and I rarely break out, so this was quickly shelved. The one positive thing I have to say is that the packaging is nice- it has a twist top to open and close the product when you open it so it doesn't leak from the squeeze tube which is nice. The little brush at the end is pointless and unsanitary, however. For $35 I expected more.