Essence I Love Extreme - Volume Mascara

Essence I Love Extreme - Volume Mascara

3.9

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

I do not like this mascara at all. It does give you volume but it just starts coming off after a few hours! You don't even have to take your mascara off in the evening as you won't have any on.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This is nice, nothing spectacular, but nice. Makes my lashes quite voluminous, but doesn't hold a curl with two coats, and tends to leave smugdes on the skin during the day. Easy to get off though, and really inexpensive, so might want to give it a go if you're curious. I'm going to use it up, but then continue trying out other Essence mascaras.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Essence products are hit or miss but I really wanted to try their inexpensive mascara. I Love Extreme comes in two kinds - in black and fuchsia packaging - and they have different brushes which is unusual. I chose the black one because I only use classic stiff wands.

My initial impression was disastrous because despite looking good when applied it flaked like crazy. I could give it up after a few uses but I once noticed that on one eye it performed nice and the other one was flaking. So I became curious and experimented a bit until I got better results. My technique is to keep the first coat light and to let it dry before adding more product. I also use setting spray. It is still not the best in terms of longevity but I think it's not worse than most mascaras especially considering the price.

Currently I consider this to be one of my favorite mascaras. It instantly gives me volume and length, and holds the curl for the whole day. It has a really big brush which makes sense for longer fibers, and it combs lashes pretty well. But it can be a turn off for people who prefer smaller wands. I also make sure to wipe off the excessive product because there is a generous amount of it both inside and on the brush after taking it out.

on 5/26/2017 9:09:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My eyelashes are somewhat long/full/curled naturally. I apply a few coats for an everyday work look just to make my eyes pop and tie my other eye makeup together. If I apply a few more coats, I can get a false-lash, lashes touching my eyebrows effect. The formula starts off kind of wet, but after a few weeks it dries down to a perfect consistency between wet and dry. I never have problems with this flaking or smudging. The key is making sure you don't get an already opened tube. The only pitfall of this product: the packaging isn't sealed in any way. So if you're at Ulta and just pick up the first one you see, it's more than likely already been opened. I'm always sure to reach for a tube towards the back of the display. For $3 or so, you really can't beat this mascara.

on 3/10/2017 9:25:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is a hell of a mascara - LOVE IT!!!!!! Up until now L'oreal Telescopic has been my favorite mascara but I think I love this one even more. For folks that haven't liked this mascara in the past - they just introduced a new formula. This mascara gives me very thick wet looking lashes and does not smudge or flake. I also get quite bit of length too. AND it was only 4.99!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

No. No. No.
I'm a low maintenance lass and this is way too high maintenance when for just a few more bucks, you can find a plethora of far better options. This is the first time I've wondered about actually returning a product. Also the first time I chucked something without considering if my 10-year old might like to play makeup with it.
Just a hot mess- not sure where to begin. Brush should be fine- it is my favorite type but this stuff was simply a disaster. I hate knocking things but this product had such rave reviews that I had to say something. Perhaps others are way more patient and tolerant and can make this work but I can swipe and go with amazing lashes for just a buck or two more in other brands so .... NO.

on 1/30/2017 5:38:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Adds volume to my straight lashes. Separates them nicely and is a nice deep black. I remove the excess product on a tissue so it doesn't get too clumpy. The brush is quite big so I have to be careful it doesn't get on my eyelid. Didn't flake on me until it started getting old, but for the price its easily replaceable.

on 12/12/2016 12:51:00 AM

I can't get my HG mascara here in Australia (Voluminous) so I've been on the hunt for an affordable drugstore makeup. I use LancĂ´me Cils Booster as a lash primer, and this mascara does a great job of giving me some volume to my lashes. For under $6 AUD, I think this is a good deal. It doesn't flake and lasts all day.

First of all, this is a review for the WATERPROOF version.

For the longest time I've been very disappointed in mascaras, as I found that none ticked all the boxes for me. Where you had volume, there was clumping, where you had definition, there was no impact etc. My lashes are quite long on their own so usually I look for mascara that just adds a "fuller" effect and a fluttery look.

Not knowing what to expect and since I use a cleansing oil for makeup removal anyways I thought I'd pick the waterproof version for better or for worse.

Well this mascara is INCREDIBLE for the money. The fat bristle brush gave me no issues whatsoever - however I can see how it could be a problem for those with smaller or hooded eyes - and the formula can't be easily described as either wet or dry. I'd say it's wet but not the kind that gets everywhere and clumps your lashes together. Surprisingly, despite the large brush the application was very even and smooth and all my lashes seem to be coated in just the right amount of product very quickly. The impact is almost instantly noticed. What I love the most about it, is how it defines my lashes well and separates them and how I can add coats without them sticking together or looking spidery. Maybe it isn't the most volumizing mascara out there, as I don't find it gives much "body" to my lashes but the effect is still pretty and fluttery and works great from day to night.

As for the lasting power, naturally being a waterproof mascara it didn't give me any smudging throughout the day. Luckily it removed very easily with my cleansing oil just like any other non-waterproof mascara.

My mother who is 60 years old and has short and straight lashes used it and also was quite impressed with it.

Overall, I think this is a superb find and for the price you cannot beat it. Are there better mascaras out there? It's likely. But at the end of the day, mascaras work so differently from person to person that you can't know if it suits you until you try it. This one did it for me.

EDIT: I found overtime that this mascara tends to flake a bit during the day (nothing crazy though) and the formula seems to have dried out rather quickly making it a bit chunky to use.

on 9/8/2016 9:04:00 PM

It is extremely adorable, but I think it is worth spend a little more for something better. You definitely get what you pay for here. It made my lashes look spiky and overdone. I also had a very tough time trying to take it off at the end of the day. Yuck!