Paula's Choice RESIST Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum

3.7

Not tested on animals

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol (silicone slip agents/suspending agents), Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate (skin-conditioning agent), Dicaprylyl Carbonate (emollient), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (skin-repairing ingredient), Phenyl Trimethicone (silicone slip agent), Squalane (emollient), Bisabolol (anti-irritant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (stabilized vitamin C/antioxidant), Retinol 0,1 (cell-communicating ingredient/antioxidant), Tocotrienols (vitamin E-based antioxidant), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Lecithin (cell-communicating ingredient), Laminaria Ochroleuca (Kelp) Extract (anti-irritant), Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Oil (anti-irritant), Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil (skin-repairing ingredient), Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate (licorice-derived anti-irritant), Hexylene Glycol (slip agent), Caprylyl Glycol (emollient), Ethylhexylglycerin (skin-conditioning agent), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

Tried the sample of this. It's of a somewhat yellowish oil like serum. Feels a little oily when applied but i personally like it. After application at night my face feels very smooth, my pores seem to have shrunk a little and my face seem to be more radiant the next morning. Because it feels kind of oily, i would recommend using this at night. It does stink my face as much as paulaschoice 1% retinol treatment does so its a good serum to alternate with the 1% retinol treatment.

I got mine from Paula's Choice Australia. If you are interested, you can get AUD 15 off your first purchase using the link below:

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Writing an initial review after using once....and I never write a review after using something once.....That said, I got this as a sample with my Resist Super Antioxidant Serum, without the retinol, which I have yet to review and have been using for months.

I used a small amount before bed. Experienced some tingling after application, which I expected. Waited a bit and applied my usual moisturizer. When I woke up the next day and washed my face I was amazed. My pores were significantly diminished. I have dry skin, but enlarged pores on my cheeks. Pore size was noticeably different. As were my deep forehead wrinkles. Still there mind you, but looked much softer. I also noticed my skin feels plumped, thicker almost if that makes sense.

I also suffer from skin sensitivity, so I will be introducing this product slowly....twice a week to start and will build up. With a retinol that is recommended anyway, and this is a stronger one, so it could cause dryness and irritation if used to much. I was so astounded by the initial use though that I had to share the positive results. Will update.

To Read all 57 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got a sample sized bottle of this with a recent order from Paula's choice. Unfortunately it's not for me. It leaves quite a greasy/shiny finish to my skin which is too heavy for my oily/combination skin. If your skin is on the normal to dry side and you're looking for a product with retinol in it this might be worth a go. The packaging is perfect for keeping light/air sensitive ingredients stable.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This is not meant for people with oily skin. This serum is in a silicone base that leaves a greasy film on the skin and will cause breakouts. I much prefer and like Paula's Choice 1% retinol lotion and and have been using that for a few months now with no breakouts.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

This product is terrible. First of all the packaging is awful. Every time I use it, I inevitably end up having to fiddle with it for a bit and I can never press the pump all the way down. It makes it very difficult to apply the exact same amount every night.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, I am convinced it has caused me a lot of breakouts. I initially bought this product because after years of using AHAs/BHAs I found that my skin was relatively clear and glowy at the surface but had a lot of clogged pores/bumps underneath, retained dark scarring from old cystic/hormonal acne I had, and was starting to develop melasma from my birth control. I thought it would be good to switch to retinol which helps keep skin clear and is also a bit more aggressive about handling hyperpigmentation.

At first I thought I was just going through an initial purge period. But the intensity of my breakouts didn't quite make sense because even though I had some clogged pores I was breaking out constantly, like I used to as a teenager. Still, committed to using a retinol, I stuck with it. I bought this product at the end of October. It is now mid-January. I have new breakouts every day, something I never had with AHAs/BHAs (and I used a lot of different ones - Ole Henriksen, a few Peter Thomas Roth products, Philosophy, Alpha Hydrox). My skin has not been this finicky in years.

Finally I looked further into the ingredient list. THE FIRST ingredient is Cyclopentasiloxane which is comodegenic and is WIDELY KNOWN TO CAUSE BREAKOUTS.

I'm throwing my bottle away. Paula's Choice seems very scammy. They post negative reviews of almost all other products in the market but fail to acknowledge the weakness of their own - like the inclusion of comodogenic silicones in their retinol serums. There may be a grain of truth in their reviews but it is all obscured by a desire to push their own products, regardless of their sub-par packaging and mediocre formulations.

The only positive thing I can say about this product is that it did help reduce some of my hyperpigmentation and clogged pores. However, in causing breakouts it caused more clogged pores and hyperpigmentation. I would say DO NOT BUY. This product is a little cheaper than other retinols on the market which is why I bought it. But it's cheaper for a reason....

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

This product is not for all skin types, it should be for dry skin. It could break a lot of people out, as it has Cyclopentasiloxane, silicones and a palm oil (that part worried me but it's low in the ingredient list). That said, if you are dry or have mature skin and tolerate those ingredients. For me this is really gentle and amazing. It feels luxurious, like a thick oil or thick siliconey serum. Similar texture to EL's night serum. It does not irritate my skin which is a miracle as I don't tolerate retinol or any actives well. It has some really calming ingredients and some nice anti oxidants that are anyti-aging on theirown. . I could not use the Skin Recovery Antioxidant serum which felt lovely too, but broke me out and irritated my skin.. I started with the Resist Barrier Repair Moisture (same as the PC4 Men's Night) and that is very gentle and didn't break me out. Eventually started adding this a few nights a week. It's August and I have been using this every night for a month adn it's really making a difference. I use it after my toner and wait 30 minutes for it work. My skin does not feel dry while waiting for this to absorb. .I feel it works a lot better since I started using it nightly. There are strong products, I doubt I'd tolerate them and not sure I need them. I don't have major probems, but some my skin has lost some bounce and this brough it back.

It coms in pump canister that looks nice but feels flimsy. However, if you are careful it works well. It does keep it fresh a long time, so that is key.

Pros:
+ Give me smooth skin
+ Controls breakouts
+ Reduces wrinkles
+ Improves skin tone

Cons:
+ Absorde slowly, makes me feels super oily
+ Not see-through & a little heavy packaging ( hard to know when it's about to be completely empty )

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I initially bought this to use at night, alternating it with the clinical 1% retinol. Since I now use that every night I didn't have a need for this, however I am now using it on a morning. It has been a lightbulb moment for sure. My skin is more plumped and the high silicone content definitely makes my pores and old acne scars (rolling scars) appear smoother. In all honesty I have a love hate relationship with silicones, I like the smoothing effect but they often feel greasy. This serum does have an oily feel but it sinks in beautifully. I use half a pump mixed with the vitamin C serum which makes it less sticky, I them apply my non-silicone moisturiser. My skin is not oily, but does have a nice glow. I'm actually surprised by the results. It hasn't broken me out so far that I can tell - but I will update if it does. I haven't had any issues with the packaging, the pump works fine and keeps the ingredients stable. As this contains retinol it won't work for everybody. Some skins just cannot tolerate retinol, but it's worth a try for the anti-aging benefits. Lines between my eyebrows have improved, but I use a lot of actives including 1% retinol.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I like how it feels once applied to my face. It doesn't break my acne prone skin out. Can't comment on the winkle aspect of the serum since I'm using it as prevention rather than for reduction. I would repurchase it. After cleansing my face at night, I apply my acne cream, then this product over it. Sometimes I apply a moisturizer on top if needed, but I'm oily in the summer so I usually don't moisturize at night during the summer.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This Retinol serum from Paula's Choice contains 0.1% retinol and a few other good-for-your-skin ingredients in a clear water free silicone base. The texture is similar to her Resist Super Antioxidant Serum if you are familiar with it (if not, I'd describe it close to a thicker silicone hair serum). The cosmetic properties are agreeable: it takes a couple minutes to sink in, but once it absorbs it feels silky smooth on skin. Mixing in a couple drops of the Paula's Choice C15 Vitamin C booster makes the texture even more agreeable, shortens absorption time and supercharges skin care effects. There is no fragrance and hardly any smell. It comes in an airless pump bottle which works great (used up 5 or 6 full sized bottles and several GWP minis, never had an issue).

What does it do? After my very first application I saw clearer, better skin the next few days. My skin was glowing. I had only used a sample packet. Seeing the results I immediately ordered the full size and started using it every night - which proved too much for my skin. After experiencing some redness and dryness I started to apply it every other night, and I have also removed the weekly 10% AHA resurfacing treatment (Paula's Choice) from my routine. IN a few weeks time I started to use it daily again and by that time my skin was fine.

With continued use, I no longer experience that first time wow. But my skin is in better condition overall: smooth, more even skin tone, glowing. Of course, it is not all due to this retinol serum. I also use a BHA exfoliant, Vitamin C products, facial oils, moisturizers as needed (all Paula's Choice) and sunscreen. But when I discontinue using this serum I see the lack of it in a few weeks time. So it is definitely contributing positively to the state of my skin.

Bottom line: Must have.