E.L.F. Studio Volume Plumping Mascara

E.L.F. Studio Volume Plumping Mascara

3.4

Aqua(Water), Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Synthetic Beeswax, Oxokerite, Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Silica, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Triacontanyl PVP, Glyceryl Stearate, Polyvinylpyrrolidone, Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Triethanolamine, PEG-100 Stearate, Sodium Laureth-12 Sulfate, Phenoxyethanol, Panthenol(Vb), Methylparaben, Propylparaben. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499) May Contain: Iron Oxides(CI 77891, CI 77892, CI 77899)

on 4/19/2016 7:05:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

$3.99 mascara: used twice, then returned, as the product was wet and gel like on the brush, and came out gloopy, requiring the brush be wiped with a tissue before using.

Subtle, natural lashes.

Not the mascara for me.

on 2/27/2016 6:33:00 PM

The only mascara I have purchased in my life that hasn't smudged onto my face when applied to the bottom lashes. I usually buy mascara that states that it's waterproof but was a bit skint for money one month and bought this mascara. It was a bloody great decision. Would recommend to anybody. Works well for those who prefer fullness over length.

I would not recommend this as a mascara, BUT I discovered in fact an AMAZING LIQUID EYELINER!!!

I've used this as a mascara a couple of times as well so I'm including a review for both uses separately. When I use this as a liner I put the product on my hand with the tip of the wand, and use a brush to apply it to my lid.

As a MASCARA:
The formula is a very pigmented black, but it's very thin and liquid, and does not really give any volume or a lengthening effect. It sort of just coats your lashes with an intense black and gives a very natural finish. I have very long and naturally curly lashes so I can get away with using this if I just want it to look like I have naturally black and slightly thicker lashes. The thin consistency does however make it great for using just on the bottom lashes for a very natural look.

The wand is down right terrible, and part of the reason you cant really build this mascara. The bristles are too far apart, so if you try to apply more than about two coats of mascara, the brush is no longer able to separate the lashes, and the more you try to comb through the worse it gets, until you eventually have 5 reeeally thick lashes. I guess a different brush could fix this problem but I haven't bothered trying because I imagine that I would have to clean the wand every time it's been used so the mascara doesn't dry on the wand and cause clumping on the next application.

As a LIQUID EYELINER:
Here the liquid consistency is a huge advantage, and again the pigmentation is really intense and gives a super sharp line. It goes on really smooth, but it does dry to a slight (very slight) shine. This isn't very noticeable, I only bring it up because I personally prefer a really matte finish.

After I found out how well this worked as a liner I decided to try all my other (drugstore) mascaras as well to find out if this was a universal trick. What really sets this apart from the rest is first and foremost the consistency. Other mascaras are thick and not as pigmented, and the result is dry, uneven application and not a sharp line at all. Also other mascaras smudged way more easily.

Staying power is where I assumed this would fail, as it didn't blow me away in the mascara department. I am however shocked: This this stayed put an entire day without powder on top, but even more impressive I slept with this on because I was lazy AND IT FRIGGIN STAYED PUT!!!

CONCLUSION:
How this turned out to be a below average mascara and yet the most amazing liquid liner is a complete mystery to me, but it seems that where this fails as a mascara, it somehow has the exact properties to make it perfect for liner.

NOTE: the consistency does thicken as you use it and it starts to dry out. This makes it less ideal for bottom lashes (clumps) but has no effect on liner properties.

I am a bit up in the air about this mascara. I just bought it last week after returning the horrible CG mascara I tried.

What I love about this mascara, which I got in black:

- it gives a very rich color to my lashes
- it is neither too wet or dry - a very good consistency
- LOVE the brush - a full-bristled brush, which in my experience, is key to getting some great va-voom
- the price of course, $3.

What I hate about this mascara:

- will not hold a curl.

I rarely use an eyelash curler, but for this mascara, I used one. However, it did not hold - not even for about an hour. I even used the curler AFTER applying this mascara, which I NEVER do, and still - lashes fell flat. This is not a problem I usually have. I don't know what is in this product or not in this product that it cannot hold a curl.

Overall, this is a decent mascara for everyday wear for the office, just wish it held a curl for me. I don't like using 2 different products together to get the results I'm looking for like some do. I don't have a "HG" mascara, but find L'Oreal mascaras still being the best for me personally, just have to use the right one - they do have their duds as well. I just want ONE mascara to do what I want, lol.

UPDATE 8/25/15: This just has to go back. I really wanted to love it, as it did give a really great color, and the brush is the kind that really makes your lashes full. However, I just cannot get past the fact that it just will not hold a curl no matter what technique I try. I've not had this problem before. I have long lashes, and fairly full, so when they fall flat I just look.........like I'm half asleep.

on 7/20/2015 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is actually some pretty dang good stuff. I just tried it today. I got it on clearance for $1.50 so you reallllly can't beat that price. I wouldn't say it adds much volume. But it holds a curl pretty well and definitely adds length and makes lashes much darker. It's a very wet formula since it is new but I think if I let it dry up a bit it would be something somewhat similar to Better Than Sex. Calculating in the wand, the price, the formula..it's a winner to me!!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

No volume, zero plumping...But, what did I expect for $4.50 CAD? I guess part of me was secretly wishing for a hidden gem. It's certainly not terrible tho. Separated nicely, not too wet nor too dry. As many before me have stated, a good day-time or natural my lashes but better type of look. I actually just ended up trying it once, then sanitized the brush & gave it to my good friend's 12 almost 13 yr old daughter. She loved it! So it was def not a total waste. I just have 7rl mascaras on the go right now, so it will not be missed.

on 1/5/2015 11:49:00 PM

There are many things about this mascara that I love although there are many things I hate.

To start off; this is NOT a VOLUMIZING mascara. Despite its name 'volume plumping' it does not make them any thicker and bolder. Instead this mascara lengthens and separates your eyelashes.
I find this mascara makes your lashes very long, wispy and non-clumpy. It is perfect for a 'no-makeup' make up look. When wearing this it literally looks like you aren't wearing mascara but have naturally flawless eyelashes.
Another disappointment for me is that it does not hold the curl in your lashes throughout the day. By the end my eyelashes appear non-existent. But I must say it does not smudge or flake.
Then again this mascara was $3 so i'm definitely not complaining. packaging is good for he price.

Overall i would not recommend this to everyone. If you like non-clumpy and naturally long looking lashes than go for this product. But if you need volume in your eye hair don't even consider this product.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

Really great quality for 3 bucks! It has a HUGE bristled wand and thick textured black formula that does elongate and volumize the lashes pretty nicely! The packaging says it has Vitamin B for the lashes as well which is great. It works good for me because I have long curly lashes to begin with so I can't provide a good statement for those women with short straight lashes.
As for the cons of this product: It is not waterproof, which means it won't hold a curl if you use an eyelash curler prior to applying. Also, since it is not waterproof you will have a mess on your face when you cry because of PMS or because you found out your boyfriend was cheating on you (that's my story lol). Another con is that such a huge bristled wand is a total mess to work with when using it. You will probably smear this all over your brow bone in your first couple of uses.
Any who, for $3, nice product!

on 9/29/2014 12:05:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I would NOT call this a volumizing mascara, but it is a nice, inexpensive, everyday one. A single coat is great for a minimal makeup look. Add another coat or two and I find it perfectly suitable for work (office environment). Lasts nicely through the day with no smudging or flaking. I find it to be a great bargain for $3, would purchase again.

I have short lashes and I find this product really lengthen and separates my lashes superbly. I found this mascara gave me almost the same length/volume as benefit they're real, would definitely repurchase

Popular Mascaras