Arbonne Makeup Primer / Base de Maquillage

3.6

Not tested on animals

on 6/21/2016 10:34:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I know I have said in previous reviews that I am not a fan of Arbonne's make up line, and for the most part that holds true. What I do love is their primer, though.

It has a very soft feel to it when it is applied to your face, and it works especially well if you have oily skin. I live in a climate where we get pretty humid summers, so I find myself using this a lot in the summer under my foundation because it holds everything in place and my foundation is not sliding around a whole lot.

A couple reviewers have expressed how much they love it but were hoping there is something similar without the steep price tag. Well, in my opinion there is and I'm going insert some words for another brand. MAC makes a product called Matte. It comes in a clear, plastic squishy tube and in my opinion it works, feels, and looks very similar to this primer. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this primer but I also, as a free lance MUA I get a discount at MAC so my money goes a little further there than it does here. When I have the funds, or I am feeling like I want to treat myself I will buy this one hands down. But when I am in a hurry or know that I really just shouldn't spend the money on it I will buy MAC's Matte. Also to note: some of my clients have sensitivity towards MAC products so I usually carry this in my kit along with Matte but if the client doesn't have a preference I tend to go towards MAC. I know it sounds like I'm cheaping out but, really so many women just hear the word MAC and they're all in, no questions asked.

So, bottom line is yes, I will continue to buy this when I can justify it and/or feel like treating myself. I don't use it every day, usually only when it's a special occasion and I know I need my make up to stay looking amazing, or I know I'm going to be in a room with lots of people so I need to keep the sweat/shine to a minimum. It's a great product, and I recommend it but if you're on a budget there are alternatives that, in my opinion, work just as well.

ETA: the MAC product Matte goes for about $26 CAD, potentially cheaper in USD and if you have a MAC pro discount it works out to be just over $15. So there definitely is a difference in price.

I actually love this stuff. Whenever I DON'T use it under my foundation I can tell a difference. When I wear it I get so many compliments on my skin!!! Love it. However . . . so pricey. There's gotta be something comparable at a lower price. It does last a long time (I've had mine a year, but don't use it daily). The packaging is kinda annoying bcuz its a pump and I'm sure I won't be able to get every last pricey drop out of the bottle.

To Read all 34 Reviews, Login or Join

on 1/10/2016 11:27:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This primer has a similar silicone texture to Maybelline's "Baby Soft", which I like. It's easy to dispense, because it's got a pump. My foundation and concealer stayed flawless until I took I wanted to take it off. I received this item as a gift so not sure how much it cost, but I would definitely buy again.

I do like that it's free I toxic chemicals but I don't feel that it makes your foundation last longer . My skin is not very oily but it seems to make it greasy.

on 2/28/2015 9:06:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I love this primer. It's silky, doesn't clog pores, minimizes pores, and looks great under makeup. My only gripes are the price and the cap. It's pricey. Definitely purchase it at a discount. Also, the cap keeps coming off in my makeup bag, which is frustrating.

If you are prone to getting those annoying tiny blister-type zits whenever you try a silicone-based primer then avoid this one; try Reviva Primer for a fraction of the price.

Update on past review! Originally I had given this product a rave, but after using for a week I had to come back to MUA and update my feedback. Yes, the product goes on like silk; it helps keep your makeup last longer, go on smoother, and gives your skin a glowing soft finish. But for whatever reason the primer was drying out my skin and clogging my pores. I looked up every one of the ingredients in the product and there is no mention of alcohol and most of the ingredients are emollients, but for me this primer was drying out my face. At the end of the day, my skin would have little bumps where dry patches have formed and my pores are irritated because they're blocked. In spite of the beautiful packaging, price and performance, I have to stop using this on my face.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I really wanted to love this primer, it just didn't work for me. If you have oily skin I recommend trying a sample before splurging out on a full sized bottle like I did.

Face was pretty patchy after 3-4 hours, lots of transfer. That being said it never broke me out. I used this as a base for my friend who has extremely dry skin and her make up lasted all night. Which makes me believe it could be perfect for normal/dry skin types.

Packaging and pump is extremely light weight, lasts ages and doesn't waste a lot of product. Wish it worked for me ... The search for my HG continues....Hah

This product is my HG! I was first introduced to Arbonne when my sister in law started selling their stuff. I generally find a product I like and stay using it until it stops working, or I never stop in some cases! I was using the MAC face primer when I bought this one as my sister in law was obsessed with it. OMG it goes on like silk, I use it everyday and one tube lasts me 6 months. Not to mention the ingredients are WAY better for your body and the packaging pushes out every last drop! I had a but left of my MAC primer so I used it one day.....I couldn't do. It felt like I was putting oil on my face!

I'm an avid Arbonne user, hair and body although the primer is the only make up I use but I love it all. It is pricy but if you consider the ingredients I feel better about their products! And they all last SO long. Highly recommend this make up primer!!!!!

I knew I'd get "invited" (suckered) into one of those Arbonne "workshops" when a girl at work began to sell this line. And I ALWAYS buy something. The signature skin care line is ridiculously overpriced as is most of the other products, but there is no denying it is quality items packaged nicely. Arbonne is all natural, no petroleum yada yada, and you can really tell. It's nice stuff! Just not $$that$$ nice.
I ended up with this primer because it just felt so good and smooth going on. Very little, if any fragrance, and one pump covers your whole face. It does not seem to change how well my foundtion goes on in any noticable way. My skin does not stay matte, but does not get too oily either. KInda dewy. I do need a powder touch up. After using it a few weeks, I realized its just like the monistat brand Chafing Relief Powder-Gel® Skin Protectant, which I have used before as a primer. Save your money and just read reviews for the chafing gel first before getting any kind of primer.