NYX Le Frou Frou

2.5

I'm a bit surprised that this product has such a low rating. It works pretty well for me -- I like my lashes long and well-defined, and Le Frou Frou does just that. It's not an amazing product but it's not bad, either. Plus, I don't find the formula dry at all.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I completely understand why people love this, and at the same why people hate it. I think the 2.4 rating is a bit harsh but it's a pretty good reflection of what it is. The formula of this mascara is incredibly dry. When I opened and applied it, I thought it was dried out and I was ready to throw it away. It's just really uncomfortable to drag the bone dry brush along my lashes. The wand is fine, I actually really like the shape of the wand and the way the bristles are distributed, it reminds me of my Max Factor 2000 Calories. The effect is so minimal that if you already have some decent lashes, you would've definitely thought it did nothing. It adds some colour to the lashes, it's not even very pigmented and black, frankly they should name it a lash tint, and even then I think people would still be disappointed. However, its one saving grace is it's incredibly long lasting, water resistant despite not even claiming so, completely smudge proof and only starts to flake after the 10+ hour mark. I've worn it in the rain, in the heat and humidity of the subtropic, and it survives to surprise me every time. I'm really impressed. I find it best to top off mascaras that are truly lengthening and volumizing, but are not as long lasting, smudge proof and water resistant. These days I use it to comb over my Essence Lash Princess, which is getting seriously old and admittedly should have been thrown out two months ago, it's still amazing, but it smudges like no tomorrow. Even the Max Factor I used to love to coat it can't help it any more, but the Frou Frou can, which by the way is such a ridiculous name that doesn't help me understand a thing about this product.
All in all, I love to use it to coat the other mascaras. I can wear it by itself but the effect is so underwhelming that I often wonder what is even the point putting it on at all. It does come of easily with the micellar water I always use, doesn't make my lash feel dry or crunchy or take a couple lashes with it when it comes off, which is what I don't appreciate that the Max Factor does. Which makes it great for every day use since it's so long lasting and easy to remove. It's really dry, so I have to put it on immediately after I put on the first mascara when my lashes are still wet, or else I can't even tell if I got any of the NYX on top at all, plus I'm afraid of pulling the dry wand on my lashes.
I hate-love the Frou Frou, I will keep using it, but I don't think I'll ever buy it again. Unless I get a really good deal, because even though this thing is drugstore for what it does I still don't think it's worth it. I'd rather get the CoverGirl LashBlast.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Very dry formula. The consistency reminds me of how a mascara would perform after you've had it for a couple months and you can tell it's getting old.

With the first coat it looks like its separating lashes but its awful if you try to build it up with a 2nd or 3rd layer
There is no length or volume. Wet 'n' wild mega protein mascara in the green tube for like $2 gives better results than this.

The only thing I liked is the packaging.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This is the first Nyx mascara I have tried, and honestly I am suprised that it has such a low rating on here. It's not a spectacular, must-have, HG mascara but it certainly isn't a bad product in the slightest. Le Frou Frou claims to be both lengthening and volumnising and it provided both. It wasn't a dramatic mascara, but rather one you'd pair with a BB cream and tinted balm when heading to class. It's a casual, polished, 'my-face-but-better' mascara. It does the job with not frills. It doesn't smudge or flake which is great and it's really cheap too. The brush is a nice size, not overly large or small. The bristles do a good job of coating the lash from the root. It is quite hard to remove though, usually I can remove mascaras with Garnier Micellar Water but I had to pull out a Nivea eye makeup remover for this. It isn't waterproof. If you need a casual, long-wear mascara for everyday looks, I would recommend this. I think it would be great for girls in school who can't go for overly dramatic looks, and is a great starter mascara. I like it, would recommend it and will finish the tube. However, it is a bog-standard mascara. There is no 'wow' factor so I won't repurchase.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This came in a cute little square gift box of lavender themed NYX products and it is probably very old stock. It was completely dry and did nothing so I threw it away. Be aware that those gift boxes often do contain old products they are trying to get rid of. It happened to me before but this was such a good deal I took the chance. I can't say how this might have performed when it was freshly made, but it was completely dry from a sealed package and that is not acceptable. PS the other lavender themed products in the box were not very good. Best to buy the items you want separately.

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I bought this as a placeholder until Target gets in the Star Wars CoverGirl mascara. (Don't judge me, I'm a geek.) I like Nyx generally, so I figured I'd give it a shot. It doesn't lengthen very much, but it does give me good volume and it's really buildable. When I wear one coat on its own, it looks like my lashes but fuller and darker, which is awesome. When I build up two coats on top of each other (putting the second one on while the first one isn't totally dry), I get some length, a lot of volume, and good impact. When I layer a coat of it over one of my excellent lengthening mascaras (NYC Sky Rise), it really increases the fullness of my lashes. On the rare occasions I curl my lashes, it holds the curl well. The brush is nice and it gets all the tiny baby lashes, too. It doesn't rub off, and it doesn't smudge on the lenses of my glasses, which matters to me, and it comes off easily with makeup remover wipes. Is it a holy grail mascara? No. But for $5 at the grocery store, it's a solid 3.5 stars for me.

I bought this because of my love of mascara and NYX Cosmetics. Unfortunetly, this didn't do it for me.

PACKAGING: The packaging is a normal sized, rectangular black tube with the name on the front. Just a normal mascara tube.

FORMULA: It's not too wet, not too dry. But it doesn't hold it's curl, not lengthening, and gives minor amounts of volume.

LONGEVITY: Lasts all day, but not waterproof. I learned the hard way haha.

I haven't given it a whiff, but I haven't noticed any scent.

Overall, I don't recommend, simply because it didn't perform like I hoped. Not curling, lengthening, or volume providing enough.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Really hate the packaging on this mascara because I feel like the wand it like smushed into the container. The mascara though is pretty great! It makes my lashes have a lot of volume.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This mascara is ok, not bad, not amazing, just ok. It doesn't do much for me in terms of volumising but I can get nice length and separation with it so I do use this on days when I want a clean, natural look. The formula is on the drier side so it doesn't stick lashes together but it does take a bit of laying to notice a significant difference. It has a traditional spiraly wand, which works ok for me, but those who prefer synthetic bristle wands might not like it. Overall it's an ok mascara...I happen to have gotten mine as a part of a heavily reduced Nyx Christmas gift set but I don't think I'd repurchase it on it's own just because there are other mascaras that I like better.

I bought this to bring on a trip in case my older mascara crapped out on me, but I struggle to even get it on my lashes. It's thick and heavy and for a black mascara it doesn't even look like it's on (and my lashes are VERY light). I was trying to be budget friendly but should have shelled out the extra money for my other stuff.