Physicians Formula PH Matchmaker Lip Gloss

No Image

3.9

on 4/9/2017 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this lip gloss so much!! It gives a natural pinky tone, it's packaging is beautiful.. On/ Off switch for a light and a small mirror which is always handy when needed :)

I was looking for a soft peeling for my lips and the woman at the store told me this lip gloss is a peeling... (???) I couldn't believe this and I looked for some information on the internet. It is just a lip gloss and not a peeling. But she kept on saying it's a peeling. On the little mirror there's a plastic with "peel off" and I told here this means you have to take off the little plastic but she kept on saying "no, it means this lip gloss is a peeling". I didn't buy it also because of the color. I didn't like that pink color at all.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

This reminds me of a grown-up high-tech version of those old-school "mood" lipsticks that are whatever color in the tube (blue, green, yellow etc.) that supposedly turn into your perfect pink/red/whatever lipcolor as if by magic! This gloss does that too and looks a lot better in the process, all magic aside :) I waited until this week's $6 off everything PF sale at CVS so I picked this up for less than $4. NO way was I shelling out $9.99 on this just to satisfy my curiosity.

I knew the pink ones would both no doubt turn neon fuschia on me, so I opted for the Natural shade. It looks like a sheer peachy/coppery/pinky shade with light micro-shimmer in the tube but morphs into a warm, light to medium toned red gloss that leaves behind a red tint (lighter or darker, depending on how much you glop on, PH balanced or not. I think this is the key: how much you put on, the color of your lips normally, and the temperature of your skin). The Natural is actually quite flattering, surprisingly enough. It's not too bright nor is it fuschia like most of these (and their "mood changing" cousins) tended to be. As a gloss it's thick and long lasting, but not overly tacky-feeling on the lips. I can't discern a noticable smell or taste. The brush surprised me. I thought at first I got a bum or used one as the bristles are really short, like half the size of a normal lipbrush. They do the job, though.

The click-button switch to turn on the light is in the end of the wand, and it's a lot brighter than I expected, I figure if I ever lose my keys at night or in my Black Hole of a handbag, I'm set as long as this is with me. The mirror on the side of the tube is a nice touch and large enough to be useful, actually. I can't say I'd repurchase this because I think the "ooooh ahhhh" newness factor lasts all of five minutes. After that it's just a sheer warm peachy- red gloss (bear with me here, it's hard to describe and may be different on you) which leaves behind a nice clean warm red stain and doesn't dry out my lips. IMHO it's not worth the normal retail price but for less than five bucks it is a lot better than other gloss-to-lipstains (and just plain lipstains, for that matter) that I've tried. It's a fun and interesting little gizmo which works as well as one would expect but it's certainly not necessary. I'd go for the Natural color over either the two pinks anyday, especially if like me you are at all warm, tan or yellow-undertoned, as the Natural stays on the warm side of spectrum rather than veering off into the dreaded bright fuschialand cool side of the red spectrum. It's not the kind of color-change where your lips enter the room before you do :)

on 8/1/2012 8:49:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Overall, I like this lip gloss a lot. I don't know about its claims to adjust to one's pH, but I can say that it did turn a beautiful shade of bright bubblegum pink on my lips about 60 seconds after applying it. It's not drying or overly sticky (major pluses for me, since my lips chap if I look at them wrong), and it leaves a pretty stain behind.
My only issues are a. the price, as I feel it is a shade too steep for a drugstore product and b. the fact that sometimes, if your lips are not perfectly moisturized prior to application, the stain can look sort of patchy and uneven if you reapply often. But that's not a huge deal, and I've certainly paid more for drugstore glosses in the past, so on the grand scale, I'd have to say this is a win for me. I'd like to try the lighter pink as well, as I feel it might pair with a heavy smoky eye better.

on 4/11/2012 10:33:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I LOVE THIS!

2 things before I start: 1) the pH thing is bullshit. If I take it out, it will darken to pink on the brush and brush that way onto my lips. Same as when it goes on clear and darkens. The mechanism by which this works, I don't know, but it is very good marketing. 2) It isn't good enough. This is a VERY bright fuschia, and I do not see it looking good on very yellow or olive toned girls. Those are the ones that would probably avoid it anyway, knowing full well how those colors react on them.

I have a weird skin tone, it's yellowy, it's olivey, it's almost neutral/cool all at once. But it's mostly olive. So this looks good on me, and I can pull it off, but I almost can't, because it almost doesn't. I'm in the 'just barely' zone, where being confident is the key factor in pulling it off rather than complementing my skin tone. That being said, this turns NEON on me.

I LOVE LOVE the super fine sparkles and the shininess of the gloss [yes, it is sticky, but that helps keep it there, and keep it long lasting]. Additionally, weirdly enough in a gloss, you need to use a very small amount. It will still go on smoothly and HIGHLY pigmented. So pigmented that it stains your lips for hours. I worked a shift in retail and seven hours and dinner later, my lips are still bright pink [but no longer glossy, of course]. It also seems to have some hydrating properties, as for once my lips are still not dry and cracking. I haven't added additional lip balm. And it didnt leave those dreaded cakey white corners/ring!

All in all, awesome. However, I don't appreciate the BS, but since it's fun to watch the color change, eh.

also the packaging: if you're the kind of person that likes it, the tube comes with a mirror and light. Nifty.

edit April 27
Got the light pink, and I can't believe I'm going to say this -- I like it even more than the original! It's a gorgeous almost non-color on my skintone, just gives a tiny flush to my fairly pigmented lips, looking very natural but plump [I love the super fine glitter in both colors]. Would look fabulous on ANY skin tone, for sure.

on 3/31/2012 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

i like the idea, packaging, and shade however i was disappointed with this product. it's $10 which is expensive for a gloss but then again physician's formula is on the more expensive side of drugstore makeup. The packaging is very cute with a tiny paint brush like brush and a very useful mirror on the side. the shade goes on clear and turns into a beautiful bright pink. That being said...the reasons i hate it. This is a very thick and sticky formula and thats the only way it will be long lasting, but i personally can't stand the stickiness. Also this has a veryyyyyyy glossy finish! its wayyyyyyyyy too shiny. i like the idea, but i dont like the formula and so its going back to cvs

on 3/5/2012 3:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Literally just bought this at Walmart about an hour ago. I've been hearing about it & I loved the idea that it has a mirror on the side of it and light. The light is activated on top of the brush all you do is click it and unscrew the top to distribute it. Perfect if you're at a party or club and its dark. Not sure how the color adjusts on other skin tones but on me its a very bright pink. Like a fuschia color with some sparkle to it. Very pretty color to brighten up your look. The part I LOVE the most about this is even after the gloss wears off your lips still have a stain to it that is the same color so I apply some chapstick. Doesn't dry out my lips either. Hope they make more colors!

on 2/18/2012 10:42:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

i actually really like this. not only is the packaging cool and fun to play with, but the gloss is awesome. It goes on clear and turns a bright magenta pink (this is for the color pink, not sure about light pink). As a pink lover, it works for me.

The product itself is what is nice though. The gloss is not sticky in any way..it's just super smooth and then stains while making your lips feel moisturized.

On the look out for the light pink now :

2/25/12 Edited to add that I just bought the light pink and what a beautiful color. Im seiously 100% impressed by these!