Physicians Formula PH Matchmaker Lip Gloss

Filtered by skin type : Dry
No Image

on 1/10/2015 9:08:00 PM

I bought this with my teenage daughters in mind, but figured it was really just an excuse to try it myself. I think this gloss/packaging is a great concept. I think if a more expensive dept. store brand used this "light-up with mirror" packaging, it might be a big hit.
It is a bit pricey for drug store lip gloss, but I wait until they have sales, like buy one, get one half off (at CVS).
I don't use it often cuz I've been trying to use up my plethora of other fancier glosses right now, but I DO like it very much!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

This reminds me of a grown-up high-tech version of those old-school "mood" lipsticks that are whatever color in the tube (blue, green, yellow etc.) that supposedly turn into your perfect pink/red/whatever lipcolor as if by magic! This gloss does that too and looks a lot better in the process, all magic aside :) I waited until this week's $6 off everything PF sale at CVS so I picked this up for less than $4. NO way was I shelling out $9.99 on this just to satisfy my curiosity.

I knew the pink ones would both no doubt turn neon fuschia on me, so I opted for the Natural shade. It looks like a sheer peachy/coppery/pinky shade with light micro-shimmer in the tube but morphs into a warm, light to medium toned red gloss that leaves behind a red tint (lighter or darker, depending on how much you glop on, PH balanced or not. I think this is the key: how much you put on, the color of your lips normally, and the temperature of your skin). The Natural is actually quite flattering, surprisingly enough. It's not too bright nor is it fuschia like most of these (and their "mood changing" cousins) tended to be. As a gloss it's thick and long lasting, but not overly tacky-feeling on the lips. I can't discern a noticable smell or taste. The brush surprised me. I thought at first I got a bum or used one as the bristles are really short, like half the size of a normal lipbrush. They do the job, though.

The click-button switch to turn on the light is in the end of the wand, and it's a lot brighter than I expected, I figure if I ever lose my keys at night or in my Black Hole of a handbag, I'm set as long as this is with me. The mirror on the side of the tube is a nice touch and large enough to be useful, actually. I can't say I'd repurchase this because I think the "ooooh ahhhh" newness factor lasts all of five minutes. After that it's just a sheer warm peachy- red gloss (bear with me here, it's hard to describe and may be different on you) which leaves behind a nice clean warm red stain and doesn't dry out my lips. IMHO it's not worth the normal retail price but for less than five bucks it is a lot better than other gloss-to-lipstains (and just plain lipstains, for that matter) that I've tried. It's a fun and interesting little gizmo which works as well as one would expect but it's certainly not necessary. I'd go for the Natural color over either the two pinks anyday, especially if like me you are at all warm, tan or yellow-undertoned, as the Natural stays on the warm side of spectrum rather than veering off into the dreaded bright fuschialand cool side of the red spectrum. It's not the kind of color-change where your lips enter the room before you do :)

on 4/11/2012 10:33:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I LOVE THIS!

2 things before I start: 1) the pH thing is bullshit. If I take it out, it will darken to pink on the brush and brush that way onto my lips. Same as when it goes on clear and darkens. The mechanism by which this works, I don't know, but it is very good marketing. 2) It isn't good enough. This is a VERY bright fuschia, and I do not see it looking good on very yellow or olive toned girls. Those are the ones that would probably avoid it anyway, knowing full well how those colors react on them.

I have a weird skin tone, it's yellowy, it's olivey, it's almost neutral/cool all at once. But it's mostly olive. So this looks good on me, and I can pull it off, but I almost can't, because it almost doesn't. I'm in the 'just barely' zone, where being confident is the key factor in pulling it off rather than complementing my skin tone. That being said, this turns NEON on me.

I LOVE LOVE the super fine sparkles and the shininess of the gloss [yes, it is sticky, but that helps keep it there, and keep it long lasting]. Additionally, weirdly enough in a gloss, you need to use a very small amount. It will still go on smoothly and HIGHLY pigmented. So pigmented that it stains your lips for hours. I worked a shift in retail and seven hours and dinner later, my lips are still bright pink [but no longer glossy, of course]. It also seems to have some hydrating properties, as for once my lips are still not dry and cracking. I haven't added additional lip balm. And it didnt leave those dreaded cakey white corners/ring!

All in all, awesome. However, I don't appreciate the BS, but since it's fun to watch the color change, eh.

also the packaging: if you're the kind of person that likes it, the tube comes with a mirror and light. Nifty.

edit April 27
Got the light pink, and I can't believe I'm going to say this -- I like it even more than the original! It's a gorgeous almost non-color on my skintone, just gives a tiny flush to my fairly pigmented lips, looking very natural but plump [I love the super fine glitter in both colors]. Would look fabulous on ANY skin tone, for sure.

on 3/31/2012 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

i like the idea, packaging, and shade however i was disappointed with this product. it's $10 which is expensive for a gloss but then again physician's formula is on the more expensive side of drugstore makeup. The packaging is very cute with a tiny paint brush like brush and a very useful mirror on the side. the shade goes on clear and turns into a beautiful bright pink. That being said...the reasons i hate it. This is a very thick and sticky formula and thats the only way it will be long lasting, but i personally can't stand the stickiness. Also this has a veryyyyyyy glossy finish! its wayyyyyyyyy too shiny. i like the idea, but i dont like the formula and so its going back to cvs

on 3/4/2012 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I know I have been writing a lot of reviews for Physicians Formula lately but that is because I have been finding so many quality items that I want to continue to experience their newest products. This lip gloss is an unexpected delight for me! Usually me and lip gloss are not friends, but this one just sounded very interesting and since all the other PHMatchmaker products had been so awesome for me, I had to try it. It is amazing to say the least!. I got this in the Pink and like the other reviewer below me, now I want to go back and buy the light pink. The pink goes on clear as the others have said and then it starts to turn a very beautiful rose color with lots of blue highlights, almost a hot pink but not quite that bold on myself. It does seem to just kind of go with my skin tones! By go, I mean it seems to flatter my looks by being such a natural type color on me. Does that make any sense at all? It is just sort of is a color that literally matches me as though it was designed for my own coloring needs. I love the idea that it is not sticky like most glosses and it does not come off as a color onto my coffee cup either but rather it comes off as a clear gloss. Got to love that! It does leave a stain on my lips for a long time and I do love that too, but it did not stay as long as the other reviewer said, lol. I actually think the longer I wore it, the more lovely it became. I can't wait to use it again today! I am going to go buy the light pink today based on the reviewer below me claim of how beautiful that color is too. This is an awesome product in my book as is so many of the newer PF products this last year. Way to go Physicians Formula!