Physicians Formula PH Matchmaker Lip Gloss

No Image

4.1

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

This reminds me of a grown-up high-tech version of those old-school "mood" lipsticks that are whatever color in the tube (blue, green, yellow etc.) that supposedly turn into your perfect pink/red/whatever lipcolor as if by magic! This gloss does that too and looks a lot better in the process, all magic aside :) I waited until this week's $6 off everything PF sale at CVS so I picked this up for less than $4. NO way was I shelling out $9.99 on this just to satisfy my curiosity.

I knew the pink ones would both no doubt turn neon fuschia on me, so I opted for the Natural shade. It looks like a sheer peachy/coppery/pinky shade with light micro-shimmer in the tube but morphs into a warm, light to medium toned red gloss that leaves behind a red tint (lighter or darker, depending on how much you glop on, PH balanced or not. I think this is the key: how much you put on, the color of your lips normally, and the temperature of your skin). The Natural is actually quite flattering, surprisingly enough. It's not too bright nor is it fuschia like most of these (and their "mood changing" cousins) tended to be. As a gloss it's thick and long lasting, but not overly tacky-feeling on the lips. I can't discern a noticable smell or taste. The brush surprised me. I thought at first I got a bum or used one as the bristles are really short, like half the size of a normal lipbrush. They do the job, though.

The click-button switch to turn on the light is in the end of the wand, and it's a lot brighter than I expected, I figure if I ever lose my keys at night or in my Black Hole of a handbag, I'm set as long as this is with me. The mirror on the side of the tube is a nice touch and large enough to be useful, actually. I can't say I'd repurchase this because I think the "ooooh ahhhh" newness factor lasts all of five minutes. After that it's just a sheer warm peachy- red gloss (bear with me here, it's hard to describe and may be different on you) which leaves behind a nice clean warm red stain and doesn't dry out my lips. IMHO it's not worth the normal retail price but for less than five bucks it is a lot better than other gloss-to-lipstains (and just plain lipstains, for that matter) that I've tried. It's a fun and interesting little gizmo which works as well as one would expect but it's certainly not necessary. I'd go for the Natural color over either the two pinks anyday, especially if like me you are at all warm, tan or yellow-undertoned, as the Natural stays on the warm side of spectrum rather than veering off into the dreaded bright fuschialand cool side of the red spectrum. It's not the kind of color-change where your lips enter the room before you do :)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Yeah I gave this 4 stars. Don't judge me. lol Let me explain.

I normally don't like to buy "crap" and if something looks as if it may fall into the category of overpriced, gimmicky nonsense, I actually experience some embarrassment buying it lol. Naturally this was something I was embarrassed to be seen either buying or using so I put off my purchase until I hit a really good sale last night at the Rite Aid, and then I bought this gloss in Pink.

I tried this on in several different types of lighting, and every time, I got the same beautiful shade of deep fuschia. It sounds unappealing, I know, and yet, it matched me well and seemed to last forever. I simply can't imagine someone on whom this would look ridiculous. It's also so pigmented that it could probably be classified as a lip "stain". These are the positives, therefore I've given this product 4 stars for performance. I can't imagine anyone buying this who does not hate the color pink and wants a long lasting gloss/stain finding anything bad to say about it. I'll probably be buying another the minute this tube gets anything close to low, and I'll be on the lookout for the Light Pink version as well.

While I like this product, unfortunately I have some misgivings about it as well. Exactly what "pH-powered" means remains unknown to us all, even those of us who have purchased this product, and the company clearly isn't telling. Perhaps, as I believe, there's nothing to tell, because the claims are false. I believe that's the simplest and most plausible explanation. Therefore my rating on the level of truth in the marketing of this product is a resounding 0, which I can't give according to makeupalley's scale, because makeupalley doesn't ask. But I find this important, so I add my rating myself typically. If you read my other reviews you will find that, in certain circumstances, I have analyzed the claims of a product to death. I guess it's in my nature. Either way, I believe it's very important that companies be truthful to the consumer about the mechanism of action by which their products perform. Physician's Formula is usually very good about being truthful, but in this particular case, their vague explanation arouses my suspicion and has caused me to take a lippie off what would otherwise be a "5 lippie" product.

For my part, I have a theory, a very simple one, which I humbly submit for consideration. Again, this is all conjecture, but I believe that, when exposed to air, the pigments in this gloss simply darken. That would explain why the color deepens from clear to deep pink when applied, and why we all seem to get the same basic color from application, and (I think) why it's so long-lasting and behaves like a stain. (It would seem that, when one layer of the gloss gets wiped/licked away, the next layer is there beneath to deepen in color and take over. Did I mention that this gloss is THICK?) Now, in pHysician's Formula's defense, perhaps it is the slight acidity of the skin which partially precipitates this reaction, but I can't imagine this being anything besides a carefully concocted universal chemical reaction. Anything "individual" about this process which the company would have you believe is simply impossible. And if they choose to make the claim that this is somehow powered by individual pH levels, and that those levels have anything to do with the outcome of the pigment, then let them back their claims with careful explanations and evidence, which they have not. So I'm forced to conclude that this "pH-powered" bit is a piece of brilliant marketing nonsense.

Please note, it would seem that in order to further back up their claims that each tube provides a universally-flattering individually-tailored shade match is the fact that the company has clearly taken great pains to select a shade for their gloss which is in itself universally flattering. So nobody is going to really complain "this doesn't match me," because the color has no underlying tone - it's not warm, it's not cool. It's not even really neutral. The color itself is a mishmash of every possible tone all at once, from what I can see of it, and so is going to suit everyone to some degree, some more so than others perhaps. The worst objection I can imagine that could be raised by anyone is that this color may be too dark on certain people. (And guess what? The good people at pHysician's Formula must have read my mind, or I theirs, because to address this claim in advance Physician's Formula has also produced, you guessed it, a LIGHT Pink option. See the careful marketing here? It's beautiful to behold, albeit a bit sinister.) So everyone has a color match, whether warm, or cool, dark, or light.

Anyway, back to reality - keep in mind please that just because I like to dissect marketing strategies doesn't mean I'm knocking the lip gloss itself. I really suggest everyone give this a try, because I believe that it will match everyone, either in its light or its regular formulation, and that many people are going to be extremely impressed with its staying power. Also, the packaging is well-designed; it has a small but useful side mirror and it lights up quite nicely. Word to the wise: if you're pale, I'm fairly certain Light Pink is going to be a more appropriate color for you unless you like bright lips.

on 9/24/2012 10:53:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

I normally don't wear lip products unless it is a special occasion; I don't really see the point in wearing something that needs constant re-application, can look garish, might smear or end up on my teeth. However, I recently traveled out of state to visit my boyfriend and decided I could at least *try* to look nice. Somehow, I stumbled upon a few blog reviews of this and decided to give it a shot. I purchased the 'Light Pink' shade and feel that it was plenty bright for my neutral light-medium skin. The shade was rosy and vibrant, but not over the top. You could tell I was wearing something on my lips but it didn't look overdone. The formula applies smoothly and is NOT sticky, a huge plus in my mind. As other reviews also mentioned, when it fades it leaves an even stain to the lips so while they may no longer be glossy, they are still pink and pigmented. Moreover, some people might find the packaging gimmicky, but I actually appreciate the mirror and the light. Actually, I used the light and mirror to apply this in a dim bar the other evening...probably tacky but eh. It was more convenient than fighting my way into the overcrowded ladies' room. Price wise, PF products are known to be pricier than standard DS brands but personally, I think the higher quality is worth the price. Plus, you can frequently find their stuff on sale at places like Ulta and Target.

on 2/14/2012 4:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

well lets see, I don't know if this is really PH powered or if it goes on clear and changes into the same color for everyone. How on earth would my PH change this to a neon pink? seriously??? I have never had such a bright color on my lips in my life, it just kept darkening and darkening. I tried it again before bed, that way I didn't have to walk around with this crap on my lips during the day in front of people. It once again made me a neon pink, and shockingly enough I woke up the next day with it STILL ON. I walked in the bathroom and turned for a quick peak in the mirror, took a double take and stopped and starred thinking (ohhhh $#*+) what lip anything holds up overnight???? I washed my face and washed my lips as well and it was STILL THERE. its not listed as a stain but just gloss but clearly this could pass for a stain. I tried rubbing it off with a towel and had alot of color transfer to the towel thought "YES, see ya", turned around and it was kinda gone then....darkening.....hello....ITS BACK!! "OH CRAP what am i gonna do?" last resort...the makeup remover, which for me is jojoba oil. Rubbed some oil off and finally it was gone. *sigh of relief* I don't think I will use this again, but I do love that it lights up, how cool is it to have a lip gloss that lights up, I am thinking of keeping it in my purse as I do lots of late night shopping trips and can never find my house key on my key chain in the dark when I get home, having this as a little night light might really help :-) so for that I do like it but as far as beauty goes, not so much!

on 2/18/2012 10:42:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

i actually really like this. not only is the packaging cool and fun to play with, but the gloss is awesome. It goes on clear and turns a bright magenta pink (this is for the color pink, not sure about light pink). As a pink lover, it works for me.

The product itself is what is nice though. The gloss is not sticky in any way..it's just super smooth and then stains while making your lips feel moisturized.

On the look out for the light pink now :

2/25/12 Edited to add that I just bought the light pink and what a beautiful color. Im seiously 100% impressed by these!

on 9/26/2013 3:35:00 PM

Great gloss ^_^. Not sticky, pretty long lasting too as far as gloss goes. I like the brush, short bristles make for quick application and no fuss. What a bonus to find it lights up, i want to buy one for all my chicas. Oh, the natural is quite flattering on my olive skin and big lips. Thank you PF, your products rock!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Ok, so I had to write a review on this product to add my two cents to all of the hype. First off, I am not usually one that buys drugstore mu, not that I am mu snooty, but because I have a very hard to match olive skintone and can never find any ds foundation and while I am purchasing that I usually just end up buying everything else too. That said, I actually made a special trip to Walmart just to purchase these ph reacting products ( lipgloss, blush, bronzer).

I have not tried the other products yet, will do so tomorrow. I brought this straight home and put it on and because I wanted to test the ph theory that everyone is speculating, I also pulled my 2 oldest daughters( 9 and 11 ) in the bathroom and had them put in on as well. Ok, it turned bright pink on all 3 of us, however there was a difference in color intensity and I made sure we all applied an even amount. I believe the color shows up differently based on the color pigmentation of your lip and thats the design " secret" of the product. It will complement your skintone because the intensity shows up based on the natural color of your lip. I am a medium olive skintone, my husband is a blue eyed blond. so of my 2 oldest daughters, one has a fair complexion like my hubby with light pink lips, it showed up a lighter pink on her and a deeper pink on me and my other daughter who more favors my darker skin and lip tone.

I wont drag my other children in and make them try, my oldest is a 16 yr old boy, whom I dont think would cooperate and my youngest is a 5 month old baby girl! LOL! So my little experiment will have to be concluded here!
Seriously though, just keeping the review to the product alone, it is a really good lipgloss. It is smooth in application, looks great on I imagine pretty much everyone and makes my lips feel great, witch is a biggie with me, as I have dry lips. I also found all of the claims of staying power and staining properties to be valid. Both of my girls wiped this off for bed after it had only been on a few minutes, just long enough to see what color it would turn and it left a stain on them both. I left mine on and its still there aprox. 2 hrs later and my dry lips usually suck up lipgloss and its gone in 20 min. Conclusion...I like it and will prob. purchase again, but took off one lippie for the gimmicky ph claim.

on 3/4/2012 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I know I have been writing a lot of reviews for Physicians Formula lately but that is because I have been finding so many quality items that I want to continue to experience their newest products. This lip gloss is an unexpected delight for me! Usually me and lip gloss are not friends, but this one just sounded very interesting and since all the other PHMatchmaker products had been so awesome for me, I had to try it. It is amazing to say the least!. I got this in the Pink and like the other reviewer below me, now I want to go back and buy the light pink. The pink goes on clear as the others have said and then it starts to turn a very beautiful rose color with lots of blue highlights, almost a hot pink but not quite that bold on myself. It does seem to just kind of go with my skin tones! By go, I mean it seems to flatter my looks by being such a natural type color on me. Does that make any sense at all? It is just sort of is a color that literally matches me as though it was designed for my own coloring needs. I love the idea that it is not sticky like most glosses and it does not come off as a color onto my coffee cup either but rather it comes off as a clear gloss. Got to love that! It does leave a stain on my lips for a long time and I do love that too, but it did not stay as long as the other reviewer said, lol. I actually think the longer I wore it, the more lovely it became. I can't wait to use it again today! I am going to go buy the light pink today based on the reviewer below me claim of how beautiful that color is too. This is an awesome product in my book as is so many of the newer PF products this last year. Way to go Physicians Formula!

on 2/11/2016 3:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This lip gloss feels light without being sticky. Does not feel goopy or gross like some lip glosses. Gives a nice sheen to my lips. Lasts about 2 hours. No feathering or creasing. Goes on clear color but very quickly turns into a deep pink shade that looks very nice. Price is fantastic. I think this performs better and looks better than It Cosmetics je ne seis quois (spelling?) for over half the price!!!

I bought this lip gloss based on its packaging with the mirror on the side and the LED lights under the lid. The mirror is SO handy for touch ups or reapplying during the day! I haven't really used the lights but they'll be very convenient if in a dark place (ie you dont need to duck into a bathroom)
The lip gloss itself is a pleasantly surprise. It's pretty long-lasting (can last up to a few hours easily, even through eating/drinking), when the shine fades, the colour becomes a nice stain on your lips (which is surprisingly hard to get off, I found out one day when I was removing it, that could be a con if you dont want trouble removing your lip colour, but it kinda says something about its staying power).
It actually DOES changes colour. On me the colour was a little bit darker than in the tube (I have Pink). I think it also changes colour according to the weather/lighting, coz when I wore this on a summery sunny day it was a more purple fuchsia colour whereas on a overcast day it was more pink.
Not sticky, very moisturing. A little goes a long way, so I probably wouldn't be repurchasing this product anytime soon :)