Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour - Khaki

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
No Image

4.5

on 1/29/2015 8:16:00 PM

After a year long no-buy, I thought long and hard about what item I'd been lusting after to celebrate. Surprisingly, the list was much shorter than I thought, but Laura Mercier's Caviar Stick in Khaki was at the top of the list. So while $28 is a bit more than I'm used to paying for one eyeshadow, I decided to try it out.

Khaki applies a beautiful greenish brown on my eyelid, and application couldn't be easier. I just swipe it on straight from the stick close to my lashline and then blend upward with my finger. It looks much sparklier in the online swatches I've seen; on me, the shimmer is noticeable but muted. Maybe it's that bloggers tend to show the shadows more intensely swatched, or in close up? In either case, if anyone is debating on this eyeshadow and worried that the shimmer will be over the top, I really don't think it is!

My favorite way of wearing this is to apply Khaki and then blend upward so that most of the color is concentrated close to my lashline (I apply my eyeshadow in gradations as it suits my eyeshape). Then I take a flat eyeshadow brush and apply MAC Greensmoke on top and blend out with a blending brush. For liner, I take an angled pencil brush and use it to apply MAC Tarnish kohl (applying straight in its pencil form causes Tarnish to smear on me, and it tugs a bit on my eyelids) along the upper lashline. Then I add plenty of mascara, and it's an easy daytime smokey eye. For the evenings, I apply Tarnish on my lower lashline using the same method, and add a shimmery highlight on my browbone.

I do apply Khaki on top of an eyeshadow base, but I do this with all of my eyeshadows as I have oily skin. Because of this I can't attest to the staying power of the eyeshadow by itself, but when I apply it on top of my base, it does last all day.

on 9/2/2014 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Medium

As I have aged, I find that I cannot do a dramatic, detailed eye shadow application anymore. Partly because of my vision (!), but mostly because the droopiness of my eye area. The three and four shadow looks just don't look good on me anymore, plus I really hate putting on eyeliner pencils (and forget liquid!). A few months ago I did a major purging of my makeup collection, keeping only the few eyeshadows that I knew looked good and were easy to use. Since that time, I have used this pencil at least 5 days out of 7 and still love it. I find the color is a great neutral for me (greenish eyes), very flattering. There is a tiny bit of sparkle to it, but not enough to notice except on very close observation, and certainly not enough for us older ladies to be put off. I put it on over Painterly paint pot as a primer and it lasts all day and into the night without wearing off, however my lids are not particulary oily. I use it to make a wide line as a liner, and smudge it upwards to sheer out as shadow. You do need to move fairly quickly, as once this stuff sets it doesn't move. I also have the cocoa caviar stick, which I love as well, but it is darker overall. Will definitely re-buy as it is my new HG neutral shadow.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I picked this up after seeing all the rave reviews on MUA but was not impressed. Great colour and creamy formula, but it does not stay put and gives me raccoon eyes within a few hours, even with primer. Note, I have particularly oily eyelids, so this may work for others, but I would not recommend this for anyone with oily eyelids.

on 12/27/2013 4:10:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

really love this!! it is very unique. this is perfect for asian oily hooded monolids. stays on very snug, the liner you can go thick or thin as you like, it stays on very good, and still bendable when you need to but you need to do it very quickly before it sets in. the product is very soft and silky and it is not harsh on our delicate eye area. it could really replace the eyeshadow or you could use both to compliment each other and add staying power. i am very happy i have tried this. i find that the regular eye liner is too thin for hooded monolids as we have to make a very thick line to see the difference for hooded monolids. the pencil liner always bleed, the liquid is a pain to use, this thing is just perfect.

color wise, i thought the black smokey would work better but it is too harsh on the skin it seems. i have pale asian skin and find that the khaki fits perfect oddly, it doesnt seem to show any green on the skin but rather almost black. khaki is even better than the brown or black color, strange enough.

on 12/13/2013 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this color. This is the cream version of MAC's Club eye shadow only so much better. It applies to the green side of brown but blends out more brown. Club creased on me like crazy, even with eye shadow primer. This does not. Because I have oily eyelids, I still need to use primer though. I will definitely purchase again.

on 10/14/2013 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This product looks like dirt - and I mean that in a good way! Khaki is an amazing colour mash up of green, brown and grey (didn't I say dirt?) that looks very natural even though it is a dark colour and makes my blue eyes (slight green undertone) look fabulous. The formula just glides on and since it is a stick you don't need a brush. I create a floating line slightly above my crease and distribute with my fingers. Nice edgy look. Work fast as this is a long lasting formula but it is very easy to work with. You can do a bright eyeliner with this and it balances it out really well (Try Urban Decay in Mainline - a teal) I have been working diligently at getting my makeup kit whittled down to an assortment that is minimal but gorgeous and this is going in. It is taking me a long time to curate though. So far the winners are LM caviar shadow in khaki, Chanel long wear liner in celadon, Nars long wear shadow in black, Maybelline Falsies mascara (dual brush), Fresh lip colour in Petal, Bobbi Brown lip liner in brownie, Bobbi Brown shadow in grey for brows. No entrants for blush yet. If you have the "blues" get this colour!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

These long wearing eye shadows are really easy to work with and blends very well. Once settled they last all day and do not smudge. You need a good makeupremover to take it off as it settles really well. The kaki (greenish brown) has a subtle golden shimmer to it, very elegant. You can apply this straight from the stick or use a brush for more precise application. If finding anything to change, that would be it - the stick itself is quite chubby so you really need a brush if you want a very precise appication, for instance if you want to use this as a liner. Maybe it is a tradeoff as it is very creamy, it might be too soft to be a less chubby stick. The fact that it is in a stick form makes it very portable as well. Highly recommend!

on 12/19/2012 1:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

LOVE this product! This color is brownish, taupey, with just a hint of khaki, not too glittery and looks beautiful on brown eyes. It applies like a cream with time to smudge before it sets. Doesn't move til I wash it off easily w/soap + water. Great for a quick made up eye.
UPDATE: Seems to be causing an allergic reaction. :( Makes my eyes burn and water and I can't wear my contacts as long when wearing this product. Sadly, will not repurchase.