NYX Professional Makeup Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation

Filtered by skin tone : Olive
NYX Professional Makeup Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation

3.1

Mica, Nylon-12, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Magnesium Stearate, Silica, Cyclopentasiloxane / Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Zinc Stearate, Boron Nitride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate. MAY CONTAIN: Iron Oxide Black (CI 77499), Iron Oxide Yellow (CI 77492), Iron Oxide Red (CI 77491)

on 10/5/2018 4:51:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

This summer this became my go to foundation, even on bad skin days.
I loved the fact that it gave me a light to medium coverage and that I didn't feel anything on my skin after application. It covered redness and evened out the skin tone perfectly. It won't cover huge pimples and it didn't cover my sister's melasma.
It stayed good for at least 3-4 hours and then I had only to touch up my nose which gets super oily in summer.
I have to say that there's not a lot of product in the case, but the price is amazing.
I have tried applying it with a wet sponge and with a dry sponge and I tend to prefer the dry method.
I'm in my second tub and I continue to love it as much. During winter it is a bit drying.

on 4/29/2017 9:43:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

EDIT: my current use for this is on days when I just wear Roche posay tinted sunscreen on my cheeks and I can just dust my T zone lightly with this. (Sometimes I use a mattifying primer). I tend to be dry on the cheeks and oily on the nose. I am not sure it holds up much better than my regular powder, but I am trying to use up what I have. IMO, powder foundation tends to run a little light, so I go slightly darker. If it looks cakey, and you have brushed off excess and applied on well moisturized, exfoliated primed skin, then I cheat and spritz with Cinema secrets moisture spray.

------------
Original review:
I am NC 30-35, asian, olive combination skin. I forgot I owned this. It's wasn't as easy to color match as the liquid version. When I first bought it, it was cakey (applied with sponge, both wet and dry). After reading about Wayne Goss's powder under foundation technique, I tried this more recently using a dense flat bottom stipple brush. (The rationale in my mind was if WG got better coverage and texture using regular powder under liquid foundation, perhaps I could get a bit better coverage on my problem areas using powder foundation under liquid foundation. The order was primer (a drop of Curel hydra therapy is what Ive been using recently as both moisturizer and primer); then this, applied Very lightly and buffed; then regular liquid foundation stippled on with a drop of Curel mixed in; and then finishing powder. It takes longer to read this than to apply; but because it's buffed out, you wnd up with less product on; solid medium coverage that lasts and doesn't oxidize. there is a bit more coverage than with regular powder, so I don't recommend this all over the face - just on problem areas. I marked would buy again because I believe it is good enough for me to repurchase, but given the fact that I have so accumulated a bunch of foundation and powder foundations that I'd like to use up, this seems unlikely.

Note: i do have a preference for the liquid version of this product- easier to match, simpler to work with. My foundation of choice is cinema secrets foundation palette 3, but the SMNF liquid is very acceptable.

on 11/10/2016 11:18:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This foundation is OK. It feels nice on but it's not very well packed in the pan (using it with a brush wastes more foundation than it uses) and the coverage isn't great. I got it for something quick to use when I couldn't be bothered with liquid foundation but still wanted to have something. It's fine for that but I couldn't recommend it for daily wear if you're like me & want full coverage.

EDITED TO ADD

I've changed my original 3 star rating. The more I used this the more I hated it & then it started to oxidize and would turn orange within an hour of wear. Awful.

on 4/19/2016 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Limited color selection that tends to lean pink and applied highly cakey on my dry skin. Did not enjoy this and would not recommend for anyone with dry skin with golden undertones.

This would probably work for normal/oily skin with neutral or cool undertones.

on 5/15/2015 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I totally agree with "ferrery" (the review below), I'm not sure why there is so much negativity towards this product. For the longest time I was debating buying this product because of the mixed reviews; For every positive review I would read one that is negative. But, I finally bit the bullet and bought in.

Pros:
1)Colour- Finally....my quest to find a product that is yellow enough for my skin has come true. I bought this powder in the colour Warm Beige (07) and I can't be happier with my C2-C3 colour match!! There are numerous websites devoted to showing what each powder foundation colour looks like, in fact, the NYX website is relatively accurate. I will say that the powder sits on the skin sliggghty lighter than what is shown in the pan, but I'll be honest with all of you, only an overly-observer like me would ever notice. The entire line has 20 colours which is fabulous; I love a foundation that can cater to many skin tones. Also, the undertones to each colour are on point- there are some powders that are more yellow, more pink, or just neutral. Who ever coloured these powders did an amazing job of actually making them look skin-like. (Ps: only 10 out of the 20 colours were available at my drugstore)

2)Longevity- I'm an oily gal..like..really oily. This powder lasted about 5 hours on me before it started to get oily; normally (with liquid foundation) I only get about 2 hours.

3)Packaging- Does this remind anyone else of the mac powder foundation? Yes, it might not be AS classy looking, but it's really good for drugstore standards. My only beef is that it might be a little too bulky for some purses. You have a healthy-sized mirror, your product, and a compartment below that harbours your sponge and aerates it at the same time. The plastic it sturdy and I'm never worried that the powder will open while it is in my purse.

4)Applicator/Coverage- For the first time ever a company has given me an applicator( that comes with a product) that actually works!! What a refreshing change! Upon first contact with the sponge,I was really surprised at the quality of it. The sponge is denser and more rubbery-er feeling than your standard sponge. This isn't something like a beauty blender; it's much more dense and compact. Clearly, someone has put a lot of thought and effort into creating something that works for the product. I tried using the powder with a standard kabuki brush, but it didn't give me the coverage I wanted. So I used the sponge and it gave me a gorgeous medium coverage. I'll admit, I was hoping for even more coverage, but what I got was reduced redness, blemishes and dark spots. I'll take that over nothing at all. Besides, I dont always like to look heavy and made-up; sometimes it's just nice to have a light-medium (more medium) coverage product that actually lets the skin breathe.

5)Formula- the powder is creamy. So finely milled. Just exquisite. The powder isn't one-dimensional; you'll notice that it's not a flat matte veil of powder pigment, no...it has a little bit of a sheen to it. Before everyone panics, it's not bad. What it does is it catches the light naturally as your skin would. In fact, if you go out in the sun and notice the inside of your elbow (where blood is taken from) you'll notice a hint of shimmer-sheerness in the skin (or at least my skin does this). This product truly doesn't make you look flat. Again, a lot of thought has been put into this product in making it look as natural as possible. Even better, the product contains no talc :)

Con:
1) Dryness- unfortunately this product accentuates my dry spots, but I'm not going to complain about this because (lets be real) what dry-skinned individual would ever say "hey, maybe I'll try a powder foundation today". The dryness of my skin is my issue because normally I'm very oily. I just wanted to say this to those who are more on the combo side.

Overall: If you have MAC's powder foundation, give this a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality that drugstore powders have to offer. If you're dry, please don't try this. Other than that, I highly recommend this to everyone even if you are not going to use it as a foundation- the coverage of this can be sheer and yet still provide you with a flawless finish if you are using this as a finishing powder. For $10 CAD you can't go wrong.

PS: I will be trying this with a wet sponge and will provide an updated review soon!:)

on 3/10/2015 6:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I've been using MAC studio fix powder for awhile now and I'm in love with the studio fix. I've recently moved out and I've been trying to scrape up extra money every time I need powder (which I go through pretty fast because I wear makeup nearly everyday.) so I decided to try this out because the price is only 9.99 and it claims to be full coverage and sweat resistant. So today is the first day I've worn it. It held up pretty well through out the day. The full coverage part was a lot truer this morning when I had a fresh face. I work at a tanning salon so I put it to the test with its claim to be sweat resistant and tanned. When I got out majority of it was still on except on my forehead where I sweat and around my nose and jawline where I rest my hand or get oily. MAC studio fix definitely holds up better after an 8 hour shift and a tan but I was pretty impressed with this product since it's only 9.99 as studio fix is 30.00 something after taxes at my local promenade mall (since they have their own tax 😒)

on 11/20/2014 1:59:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This product didnt stand out to me, it wasnt an amazing mattifying product that i would go out of my way to buy, i feel like you could find a cheaper version that does the exact same thing. I find it was a little pricey for just an OK product. If it was cheaper ( in Canada i paid around $22.00 ) i would probably repurchase it, but all-in-all this is probably something i will forget about once i run out, if i even continue to use it.

Colour selection was a plus, they had some nice light beige colours with no pink undertone which is harder to find in a drugstore powder.

on 2/16/2014 11:10:00 AM

I bought this because it was on sale and figured I would give it a try. I bought the stay matte but not flat foundation to go with it as well. I think both are WONDERFUL. They make my skin look super smooth, and this stuff lasts during my 7 hour work day!

on 12/6/2013 10:49:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

i have a pretty oily face, so when i saw this product at my local Ulta i decided to give it a try. i dont need much coverage, so this worked perfect as a foundation for me...about a month into using the product...i noticed my face was completely broken out. i havent gotten pimples on my forehead since hs, and im 25. behold, broken out forehead. i noticed my cheeks are extremely broken out, and i'm beginning to wonder if its because im using NYX blush . regardless, if your skin can handle this product, i'd say go for it. unfortunately, won't be purchasing again.

on 2/15/2013 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This powder was featured on beautybroadcast, and was described as a foundation that could also be used as a setting powder. What led me to buy it was the description of the "glow" it gave your skin as a setting powder.

If by glow, you mean a super heavy, grease slicked look, then yes, it delivered. Even with a primer and good tinted moisturizer (Neutrogena 3-1), the product also oxydized after a few moments. The cherry on top was that my my concealer looked super cakey too, it was just awful. I love NYX - great glosses, E/S, and concealers - but this is terrible.

I am giving it 2 stars because maybe this would work well on dry or very mature skin. Also, I did not use it damp for coverage, I used it dry for extra coverage and to set.

PROS:
- For me, none, but there could be for ladies with mature or dry skin

CONS:
- Heavy (I used a light hand and a super fluffy kabuki brush over a light tinted moisturizer AND I had allowed time for the tinted moisturizer to dry)
- Caked my concealer
- Made my skin look oily not glowy
- Highlighted my pores vs. diffused them away
- Packaging is terrible (I almost broke a short, healthy nature nail to get get to the sponge - had to resort to turning compact upside down)
- Limited color selection
- Oxydized quickly - within minutes

For me, I would say Wet N Wild's Reserve Your Cabana created a better glow when applied all over on my NW20 skin than this. Plus it is MUCH cheaper and more versatile.