NYX Professional Makeup Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
NYX Professional Makeup Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation

3.1

Mica, Nylon-12, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Magnesium Stearate, Silica, Cyclopentasiloxane / Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Zinc Stearate, Boron Nitride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate. MAY CONTAIN: Iron Oxide Black (CI 77499), Iron Oxide Yellow (CI 77492), Iron Oxide Red (CI 77491)

I tried this back in 2012. I feel as if they changed the formula.

The 2012 formula was closer to MAC Studio Fix powder plus. The updated version I bought in 2017 is a lighter coverage with shimmer in it. So it's a nice glow to the skin.

The old version was cakey and not as finely milled. The new version is definitely more finely milled. The only downside I can find to this new version is the lack of coverage. If they stepped that up this would be a HG.

But for now I'll stick to other powder foundations.

on 9/1/2015 9:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like to have a pressed powder compact handy for quick shine touch ups and occasionally to set my under-eye concealer. Grabbing the package off the shelf I had not realized it was powder foundation; but I'm glad I bought it!

While applying with a damp sponge there were a few spots I had to blend with my finger to remove a powdery film. Otherwise it was blendable, afforded an even and light finish, color was good (light-medium worked for me). I waited for it to set expecting a mask-like look to set in - never happened. Brightened up my look a bit.

I've only used a similar product by Lancôme, which was cakey and dull and made me look sick. By comparison, this product is an absolute godsend.

The finish lasted all day.

on 6/19/2015 12:40:00 AM

This is one of the better powders that Ive tried. It really is what it says-matte not flat. Having combo skin its hard to find a powder that works for me...controlling shine on the forehead and oil on the chin, whilst not drying the hell out of my dry cheeks and undereyes. This does that. one of the only powders that doesn't dry me out AT ALL and I didn't think that was possible. Also, it blends easily and doesn't look powdery. Very natural like real skin, lets natural glow peek through. Coverage is not great however, but decent. Holds up well throughout the day, but it does disappear eventually. One thing I do appreciate is that when it does fade it literally disappears, evenly, rather than start to appear patchy, clinging on to dry areas or separating in oily area like some other powders. Good powder overall but not enough to keep me from trying every other powder ever made. And for the low price its pretty great!

on 3/10/2015 6:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I've been using MAC studio fix powder for awhile now and I'm in love with the studio fix. I've recently moved out and I've been trying to scrape up extra money every time I need powder (which I go through pretty fast because I wear makeup nearly everyday.) so I decided to try this out because the price is only 9.99 and it claims to be full coverage and sweat resistant. So today is the first day I've worn it. It held up pretty well through out the day. The full coverage part was a lot truer this morning when I had a fresh face. I work at a tanning salon so I put it to the test with its claim to be sweat resistant and tanned. When I got out majority of it was still on except on my forehead where I sweat and around my nose and jawline where I rest my hand or get oily. MAC studio fix definitely holds up better after an 8 hour shift and a tan but I was pretty impressed with this product since it's only 9.99 as studio fix is 30.00 something after taxes at my local promenade mall (since they have their own tax 😒)

on 11/23/2014 12:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

Use a light hand, soft brush and gentle swipes to make this work. It is definitely matte but doesn't really blend into the skin, knocking it down a few pegs as both a foundation and finishing powder. I'm not even a fan of matte finishes but am going through this surprisingly quickly, seeing pan after only 3 months which is strange for only occasional use. Would be good to carry in a bag for touchups or oil control as it's a sturdy compact with mirror but no application tool. It is also a tad yellow in the nude shade, so beware if you have cool undertones. Won't repurchase as I have dry skin and oil control is not necessary and this level of matte is not flattering. There are better matte powder foundations out there but this is OK for the price point.

on 8/30/2014 6:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This is just an okay setting powder. It really doesn't do anything to control the oil on my face. By lunchtime, my forehead and nose are just as oily as if I didn't use any powder at all. I usually love most NYX products, but I think there are better drugstore setting powders.

on 6/29/2014 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I think the reason this product has had bad reviews here is because people are using it as foundation. This is a great setting powder on par with other HD setting powders but not as good as MAC's. I like this product for highlighting. I bought the lightest Ivory which is one shade lighter than my skin and I use it under my eyes over my concealer. It is very light and it needs to be applied with a brush and or a bulb sponge. I really like this powder but thinking it is a foundation will disappoint as it is on the sheer side. Probably the best powder for the price in the drugstore. It is very fine and silky.Also if your skin is super oily this will not work. I guess it is a good product but not what it claims.

on 2/22/2014 1:36:00 PM

I have NC20/NC25 skin with yellowish undertones and I bought this foundation in the shade 'Natural'. I think I hit the jackpot because the shade is a great match for my skin.

I bought both this product and the L'Oreal True Match powder foundation to see which one I liked best. The L'Oreal powder foundation felt heavier on my skin and more cakey. The NYX Stay Matte felt light and refreshing. Also, the colour of the NYX was more vibrant and healthy looking.

The powder goes on very smoothly and provides surprisingly good coverage when you use the sponge it comes with. It's more of a medium coverage, which works for me. It does an amazing job at evening out my skin tone in a natural way. If you're looking for full on hardcore coverage, this may let you down. I find it sometimes catches on dry skin, but as long as you moisturize then it's no problem at all. Lasting power is also impressive, I can go a whole work day without touching up.

The packaging is sleek and very MAC looking, the only bummer is the tiny little plastic tab that you have to use to get at the sponge compartment. It's so small! If I had short fingernails I wouldn't be able to lift it, and even having slightly longer fingernails is problematic because if I'm not careful I jab the powder with my nail and lose a small chunk of it. In the grand scheme of things though, I forgive the packaging annoyance because I love the product.

If your skin is relatively clear and not too dry (and if you find a good colour match) this product is wonderful and I recommend it.

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is a great product, especially for mornings when I need to slap my makeup on as fast as possible, or when I just can't be bothered. I'll apply primer, concealer and this, and it gives medium coverage - it doesn't cover up everything, but that's not my goal on a daily basis.

It can be built up to heavier coverage, but it will usually end up looking cakey, and since it is ever so slightly shimmer (VERY subtle) it can emphasis pores. As many reviewers have mentioned, for a full-coverage look this makes a great setting powder.

My only real complaint is the amount of product you get for the money. I paid $13.99 CAD for this, and after a month I have already significantly hit pan. Granted, I have been using it as a foundation almost every day, but with foundations of whatever formula (powder, liquid etc) I usually expect at least 3 months... and this rate I won't get that out of it. Of course, this is still cheaper than a high-end powder would be, but I almost never buy high-end makeup. It is also probably quite a bit cheaper in the States.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Got this powder to replace the Sephora brand powder I was using (they resdesigned the package and it sucks). I really like the NYX powder, it does everything the Sephora did at about a third of the price. It blends well and isnt very cakey. The downside is the despite what NYX claims you cant apply it wet. It just doesnt work. Also, it wont last for hours upon hours and eventually, will settle into your pores and wrinkles. Plus side? A quick touch up of the powder and no one would notice. Good product at a good price. Nothing miraculous though. Will continue to use until I find something better.