NYX Professional Makeup Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation

Filtered by hair type : Curly
NYX Professional Makeup Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation

3.1

Mica, Nylon-12, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Magnesium Stearate, Silica, Cyclopentasiloxane / Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Zinc Stearate, Boron Nitride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate. MAY CONTAIN: Iron Oxide Black (CI 77499), Iron Oxide Yellow (CI 77492), Iron Oxide Red (CI 77491)

on 11/10/2016 11:18:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This foundation is OK. It feels nice on but it's not very well packed in the pan (using it with a brush wastes more foundation than it uses) and the coverage isn't great. I got it for something quick to use when I couldn't be bothered with liquid foundation but still wanted to have something. It's fine for that but I couldn't recommend it for daily wear if you're like me & want full coverage.

EDITED TO ADD

I've changed my original 3 star rating. The more I used this the more I hated it & then it started to oxidize and would turn orange within an hour of wear. Awful.

on 5/25/2016 8:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I wanted a powder that gave a little coverage, but mainly to take the shine off my oily deydrated skin and take down SS shine.

It does this adequately with little product, I use a brush and not the sponge as this packs on the coverage and that is not my aim. I can get 6 hrs of shine free action out of this and after that my face gets progressively dewy until I am ready to cleanse. Only on really oily days do I want to touch up at the 5hr mark, so I'm pleased.

I had to buy 2 colours, Nutmeg SMP14 (yellow toned) and Chesnut SMP15 (slightly warmer). The US online guide to shades I think are a little off and I am glad I went to the store to check how NYX colours run. Although I couldn't test these particular powders as they are only availble online. Boo. In selected Boots UK they have the full range of liquid foundation colours.

So I use chestnut around my mouth, jaw, outer edges of forehead and cheek contour. Using the same brush I'll use nutmeg on my inner cheeks, forehead, nose and chin. This just blurs my PIH marks but for further coverage (when I am moved to) I've gone in with an eyeshadow blending brush and touched those areas up. This keeps things seemless and simple. I would call the finish demi matte and using the sponge for a heavier coverage results in a weird matt plastic look on my face.

Using the brush I would say it can get messy, with powder flying around. So I kinda do a half swirl and stamp and then buff into my skin with a synthetic kabuki. It doesn't end up in my hair or anywhere else then.

I have worn this everyday since I bought it (a month ago) and it hasn't broken me out nor irritated my tetchy skin.

I have acne prone/ dehydrated norm-oily/ tetchy skin.

I would repurchase as the price isn't prohibitive for 2, however there are other brands I wanna try.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Decent coverage, but blends well and does a good job of controlling the oiliness on my face. I like that the compact has a mirror but the sponge is not too good. The color selection could be better as well. Medium beige was a close match for me. If you have fairly good skin, this is nice to try.

on 8/14/2015 12:18:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

Pros- Good coverage, nice finish, I liked it. I agree with everything positive about this foundation in other reviews.

Cons- Very limited color selection. Good luck matching. I don't have a *good* match in this. Packaging is terrible IMO, it falls apart so easily.

The other thing I really do not like about this foundation is that it is actually not a great value if you do the math. It's $10, but you get considerably less product. Compared to MAC Studio Fix, you get double the amount of product with MAC. MAC has .52 US oz. compared to .26 oz. with the NYX. I run out of this stuff SO fast. EL's Double Wear powder comes with .40 oz. in their compacts. I bought this twice and hit pan in less than a month both times. Bottom line, you do save just a little money when compared to MAC, but just a little, and the MAC offers better coverage, a better compact and a WAY better color selection. Soo... the moral of my story is this: Not a bad product, but not worth the many trips to the store to restock (not to mention the extra packaging waste) compared to its competition.

on 7/11/2015 1:31:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I don't really wear high coverage foundation so I find this perfect for myself. It leaves my skin looking really soft and smooth but it's not super great at oil control. It's fine, I have no problem with reapplying. I also use it as a setting powder for when I do wear foundation or BB cream and it's great for that too! Good price!! I'd buy again! I bought the shade Warm Beige and it matches well with my tan skin.
UPDATE- I ended up not reaching for this very often after a couple weeks. It made me oilier than anything, and it separated in my t-zone horribly. I threw it out and didn't repurchase. I don't recommend it for my fellow oily people.

on 4/3/2014 8:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I have my reservations when it comes to this product. I don't like a product that I can feel on my face and this is one of them, use lightly. It works great I tells ya that!!! LOL. However, it does have a slight odor to it. I can only describe the odor as burnt plastic? But its slight. Still a bit offputting though. I would still repurchase this item, for some reason I love the NYX line.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Oh dear, where to begin. I have had this for a few months but always used it as a finishing powder instead of a foundation. Today, I had to run a quick errand and buffed this on instead of using liquid foundation. Oh man, this is the worst powder foundation I have ever tried. I look like I am wearing stage makeup or a powder mask or something. The powder clung to all my dry skin and fine lines..agh, it is just horrible. I will use this up but I will never replace it. It made me look like a monster. I cannot recommend it to anyone.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Got this powder to replace the Sephora brand powder I was using (they resdesigned the package and it sucks). I really like the NYX powder, it does everything the Sephora did at about a third of the price. It blends well and isnt very cakey. The downside is the despite what NYX claims you cant apply it wet. It just doesnt work. Also, it wont last for hours upon hours and eventually, will settle into your pores and wrinkles. Plus side? A quick touch up of the powder and no one would notice. Good product at a good price. Nothing miraculous though. Will continue to use until I find something better.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I bought this to actually use as a powder foundation, but it doesn't give enough coverage for that, so I use this as a setting powder. However, using a small brush to apply this over concealer on blemishes or acne scars works as an extra layer of coverage, because you apply it so precisely and more heavily. It's very soft and easy to work with. It does keep my skin matte for about 4 or more hours, depending on the season and how my skin is.

on 6/24/2013 5:42:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Since NYX is my favourite general makeup brand and I needed powder (having nothing to go off of from before), I tried it, buuuut...

It's cakey, the coverage sucks (when you're not using it to set concealer/foundation), it clumps if you're not careful, the sponge it comes with is a joke, and the colour is also pretty deceiving.

It can supposedly be used with water for fuller coverage, but all I've found that using it with water does is make it clump oddly so it looks like you've got sand on your face. I've found that the powder really isn't as fine as it should be for what it's advertised as.

One small but still significantly aggravating problem is the compartment the sponge is in; I have short nails, so I basically have to break it to get it open.

Would not buy again, would not recommend!