NYX Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation

NYX Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation

3.1

Mica, Nylon-12, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Magnesium Stearate, Silica, Cyclopentasiloxane / Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Zinc Stearate, Boron Nitride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate. MAY CONTAIN: Iron Oxide Black (CI 77499), Iron Oxide Yellow (CI 77492), Iron Oxide Red (CI 77491)

I'm a MAC NC25 and I live in a humid tropical climate in Southeast Asia. This foundation sets on the skin matte as it says but the colouring is a little off - a whitish cast is noticeable. It is not as natural looking as MAC Studio Fix or even MAC Select Sheer powder in NC25.

The matte effect does not last long either, as after 3-4 hours my nose would be shiny.

In terms of the texture of the powder, I find that it's not as finely milled as MAC, and it does sit heavily on the skin - you can feel the powder on your skin.

I don't like the way the plastic packaging feels, rather cheap looking and feeling.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I purchased this a few months ago in the shade Nude. The shade is a perfect match for my cool, reddish undertoned, pale skin.
I only lightly pat this on my forehead, nose and chin area to control shine from spf products. My skin is on the dry side but with some acne spots and overly sensitive (cursed lol).
The product has some ingredients I don't care for but it doesn't break me out at all. It also doesn't last very long. Shine can come back in less than 2 hours. I maybe got 3 hours tops in winter weather. I can't see it holding up too well in the summer.
It can cling to dry spots and/or cake if overly applied and this is an issue , seeing that it only lasts so long.
The packaging is crap. Everything broke within a few weeks of purchase. I don't carry it around with me. It sits in my makeup bag at home. The application sponge is cheap but works ok if you are just lightly patting this on and not using it all over.
I wouldn't repurchase due to performance and ingredients. I also find this overpriced (I bought it from shopper's drug mart for $14.99, Canada) for a drug store product that is sub par. Would not recommend.

on 4/29/2017 9:43:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

EDIT: my current use for this is on days when I just wear Roche posay tinted sunscreen on my cheeks and I can just dust my T zone lightly with this. (Sometimes I use a mattifying primer). I tend to be dry on the cheeks and oily on the nose. I am not sure it holds up much better than my regular powder, but I am trying to use up what I have. IMO, powder foundation tends to run a little light, so I go slightly darker. If it looks cakey, and you have brushed off excess and applied on well moisturized, exfoliated primed skin, then I cheat and spritz with Cinema secrets moisture spray.

------------
Original review:
I am NC 30-35, asian, olive combination skin. I forgot I owned this. It's wasn't as easy to color match as the liquid version. When I first bought it, it was cakey (applied with sponge, both wet and dry). After reading about Wayne Goss's powder under foundation technique, I tried this more recently using a dense flat bottom stipple brush. (The rationale in my mind was if WG got better coverage and texture using regular powder under liquid foundation, perhaps I could get a bit better coverage on my problem areas using powder foundation under liquid foundation. The order was primer (a drop of Curel hydra therapy is what Ive been using recently as both moisturizer and primer); then this, applied Very lightly and buffed; then regular liquid foundation stippled on with a drop of Curel mixed in; and then finishing powder. It takes longer to read this than to apply; but because it's buffed out, you wnd up with less product on; solid medium coverage that lasts and doesn't oxidize. there is a bit more coverage than with regular powder, so I don't recommend this all over the face - just on problem areas. I marked would buy again because I believe it is good enough for me to repurchase, but given the fact that I have so accumulated a bunch of foundation and powder foundations that I'd like to use up, this seems unlikely.

Note: i do have a preference for the liquid version of this product- easier to match, simpler to work with. My foundation of choice is cinema secrets foundation palette 3, but the SMNF liquid is very acceptable.

on 3/20/2017 6:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Im pretty pale, so i need a powder thats light and wont make my already slightly darker foundation that little bit lighter, so i got the second lightest shade and it matches well! I wear it everyday but just not alone, only with other foundations, ive hit pan so i need to get another soon!

on 3/19/2017 8:00:00 PM

I don't understand the hype with this. I purchased this in Porcelain hoping it would be a higher coverage powder. This is WHITE, like I have never seen a foundation so light in my life and the medium was too dark. I found this very cakey, even if applied wet and didn't really cover well for me.

on 1/8/2017 3:45:00 AM

My skin is combo with the usual T-Zone oil problem, and with the good reviews i read for this product, i had high hopes.
Keep in mind that I don't use liquid foundation before i use this, only serum, moisturizer, and this powder... I was really satisfied with this for the first week, but as time goes by, there are at least 3 substantial issues that changed my mind completely about this: 1) ran out very quickly - I don't even use this everyday and don't use it that much per application, but it's only been a couple of months and already hits pan; 2) it doesn't keep my T-Zone oils at bay, even after 3 hours i blot it with oil paper, and there are lots of oil excess already; 3) after 4-5 hours of using, my face somehow looks darker (and shiny), like i just ran on a sidewalk of busy street, which is weirdly unpleasant as i have never experienced this with any other powder foundation before. Oh and it's coverage is not that good either; doesn't give me matte yet flawless finish i was aiming for.
What a waste.

on 11/10/2016 11:18:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This foundation is OK. It feels nice on but it's not very well packed in the pan (using it with a brush wastes more foundation than it uses) and the coverage isn't great. I got it for something quick to use when I couldn't be bothered with liquid foundation but still wanted to have something. It's fine for that but I couldn't recommend it for daily wear if you're like me & want full coverage.

on 11/5/2016 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love the finish, I think it would probably feel better on the face with a setting spray. doesn't sink into my smile lines. Only keeps me matte up to 4 hours

on 10/24/2016 1:13:00 PM

I had been using Pur Minerals (P.M.) until I found this product. The lady at the store said that surprising NYX is an under-rated line and many of their products are excellent. I was originally very happy with the product - it was much less expensive than P.M. but it doesn't last as long - perhaps since there is not as much product in the compact and is not packed as firmly. I found it a bit messy to put on as the powder is very light and that is probably also why the coverage is not as good.

on 8/5/2016 12:50:00 PM

I've recently given up the idea that a liquid foundation could work for my combo skin, so for the past year I've been on a powder foundation hunt! I've tried quite a few at this stage and have to say this is up there with the best. It's not as full coverage as it claims so if you're after heavy duty coverage I'm not sure this would be ideal. It works well however in evening out my skin tone and covering the redness around my nose and on my cheeks. It feels so light on my skin and tend to forget I'm wearing makeup at all which for me is a huge plus. The packaging has air holes in the bottom which is a nice touch if you're using the sponge provided, but the plastic box in itself is a bit flimsy imo. Overall I'm very pleased and it will definitely be repurchased.