NYX Professional Makeup Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation

NYX Professional Makeup Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation

3.1

Mica, Nylon-12, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Magnesium Stearate, Silica, Cyclopentasiloxane / Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Zinc Stearate, Boron Nitride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate. MAY CONTAIN: Iron Oxide Black (CI 77499), Iron Oxide Yellow (CI 77492), Iron Oxide Red (CI 77491)

on 2/13/2012 3:06:00 PM

This is an awesome powder foundation for the price. The review above really irks me because obviously you bought the wrong shade for your skintone and that is why it didn't work for you. It really annoys me when people give a product a bad rating just because it isn't right for them. It doesn't mean it isn't a greatly formulated product. If it is too dark on you than that is your fault, not the product. And if you say you like palladio better because it is flatter and you like flatter, than why the hell would you buy a product called "stay matte, NOT FLAT" and then rate it badly because it is not flat enough? It's not supposed to be flat! Anyway, onto my review, this is a very smooth finish great powder foundation that does exactly what it says, leaves a dry powdery feel to the skin but still shows some reflection so it doesn't actually look chalky and dry. I also purchased the second shade and it is a flawless match from the minute I put it on and stays that way. I have had no problems with any oxidation. (Now that is a different story for MAC studiofix) Also the coverage is just medium which is good because it doesn't look too heavy or masky.

on 5/15/2015 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I totally agree with "ferrery" (the review below), I'm not sure why there is so much negativity towards this product. For the longest time I was debating buying this product because of the mixed reviews; For every positive review I would read one that is negative. But, I finally bit the bullet and bought in.

Pros:
1)Colour- Finally....my quest to find a product that is yellow enough for my skin has come true. I bought this powder in the colour Warm Beige (07) and I can't be happier with my C2-C3 colour match!! There are numerous websites devoted to showing what each powder foundation colour looks like, in fact, the NYX website is relatively accurate. I will say that the powder sits on the skin sliggghty lighter than what is shown in the pan, but I'll be honest with all of you, only an overly-observer like me would ever notice. The entire line has 20 colours which is fabulous; I love a foundation that can cater to many skin tones. Also, the undertones to each colour are on point- there are some powders that are more yellow, more pink, or just neutral. Who ever coloured these powders did an amazing job of actually making them look skin-like. (Ps: only 10 out of the 20 colours were available at my drugstore)

2)Longevity- I'm an oily gal..like..really oily. This powder lasted about 5 hours on me before it started to get oily; normally (with liquid foundation) I only get about 2 hours.

3)Packaging- Does this remind anyone else of the mac powder foundation? Yes, it might not be AS classy looking, but it's really good for drugstore standards. My only beef is that it might be a little too bulky for some purses. You have a healthy-sized mirror, your product, and a compartment below that harbours your sponge and aerates it at the same time. The plastic it sturdy and I'm never worried that the powder will open while it is in my purse.

4)Applicator/Coverage- For the first time ever a company has given me an applicator( that comes with a product) that actually works!! What a refreshing change! Upon first contact with the sponge,I was really surprised at the quality of it. The sponge is denser and more rubbery-er feeling than your standard sponge. This isn't something like a beauty blender; it's much more dense and compact. Clearly, someone has put a lot of thought and effort into creating something that works for the product. I tried using the powder with a standard kabuki brush, but it didn't give me the coverage I wanted. So I used the sponge and it gave me a gorgeous medium coverage. I'll admit, I was hoping for even more coverage, but what I got was reduced redness, blemishes and dark spots. I'll take that over nothing at all. Besides, I dont always like to look heavy and made-up; sometimes it's just nice to have a light-medium (more medium) coverage product that actually lets the skin breathe.

5)Formula- the powder is creamy. So finely milled. Just exquisite. The powder isn't one-dimensional; you'll notice that it's not a flat matte veil of powder pigment, no...it has a little bit of a sheen to it. Before everyone panics, it's not bad. What it does is it catches the light naturally as your skin would. In fact, if you go out in the sun and notice the inside of your elbow (where blood is taken from) you'll notice a hint of shimmer-sheerness in the skin (or at least my skin does this). This product truly doesn't make you look flat. Again, a lot of thought has been put into this product in making it look as natural as possible. Even better, the product contains no talc :)

Con:
1) Dryness- unfortunately this product accentuates my dry spots, but I'm not going to complain about this because (lets be real) what dry-skinned individual would ever say "hey, maybe I'll try a powder foundation today". The dryness of my skin is my issue because normally I'm very oily. I just wanted to say this to those who are more on the combo side.

Overall: If you have MAC's powder foundation, give this a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality that drugstore powders have to offer. If you're dry, please don't try this. Other than that, I highly recommend this to everyone even if you are not going to use it as a foundation- the coverage of this can be sheer and yet still provide you with a flawless finish if you are using this as a finishing powder. For $10 CAD you can't go wrong.

PS: I will be trying this with a wet sponge and will provide an updated review soon!:)

on 7/6/2015 1:49:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Ok you guys, I wore this over the weekend (July 4th and 5th) in blazing hot weather... I'm talking about 102 degrees! I played golf both days under the merciless sun and I stayed matte all day. I was literally in shock when I checked myself in the mirror at the end of the day. And let me tell you, I have the OILIEST nose on this planet, like people literally tell me my nose is sweating. I pretty much just accepted it, because I've tried $60 powders with no success, until now. I also tried a lighter shade to set my undereyes and it worked amazing there too. The powder does not separate, when it fades at the end of the day, it does so without looking blotchy. Many people compare this to MAC's Studio Fix Plus foundation powder but that powder has more coverage, which leads to the cakey-ness that it tends to turn into. I also find it unsuitable for the undereye area. I might put this as a cross between MAC's Studio Fix Plus foundation powder and their Mineralize Skinfinish Natural, because MSF is less coverage and has a subtle radiance. But the MSF powder turns Horribly blotchy and has bismuth oxychloride. Bismuth oxychloride is disastrous for sensitive skin. I thought I had horrible acne for years but found out that bismuth oxychloride was the culprit. It has to do with its molecule structure, which resembles arsenic. This NYX powder is much more natural looking, which is a pro when you're setting your liquid foundation. Remember that if you have large pores. Try using a powder puff or dry sponge and press the powder into your skin to fill the pores. Then you can very lightly dust off the powder with a VERY soft brush, like baby soft brush, so you don't disturb all the work you did before hand.

on 8/14/2015 12:18:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

Pros- Good coverage, nice finish, I liked it. I agree with everything positive about this foundation in other reviews.

Cons- Very limited color selection. Good luck matching. I don't have a *good* match in this. Packaging is terrible IMO, it falls apart so easily.

The other thing I really do not like about this foundation is that it is actually not a great value if you do the math. It's $10, but you get considerably less product. Compared to MAC Studio Fix, you get double the amount of product with MAC. MAC has .52 US oz. compared to .26 oz. with the NYX. I run out of this stuff SO fast. EL's Double Wear powder comes with .40 oz. in their compacts. I bought this twice and hit pan in less than a month both times. Bottom line, you do save just a little money when compared to MAC, but just a little, and the MAC offers better coverage, a better compact and a WAY better color selection. Soo... the moral of my story is this: Not a bad product, but not worth the many trips to the store to restock (not to mention the extra packaging waste) compared to its competition.

on 6/7/2016 8:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

this product is amazing for oily skin when applied with a damp beauty blender or sponge for a long lasting and oil absorbing effect! i don't know why applying it with a damp sponge does the trick but it does and it works for my super oily skin!

on 9/1/2015 9:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like to have a pressed powder compact handy for quick shine touch ups and occasionally to set my under-eye concealer. Grabbing the package off the shelf I had not realized it was powder foundation; but I'm glad I bought it!

While applying with a damp sponge there were a few spots I had to blend with my finger to remove a powdery film. Otherwise it was blendable, afforded an even and light finish, color was good (light-medium worked for me). I waited for it to set expecting a mask-like look to set in - never happened. Brightened up my look a bit.

I've only used a similar product by LancĂ´me, which was cakey and dull and made me look sick. By comparison, this product is an absolute godsend.

The finish lasted all day.

I bought this to replace my much loved but no longer available Flower Powder Foundation. I live in Canada where the Flower line was discontinued, but I was in LOVE with the coverage and feel of their powder foundation. It gave light to medium coverage but sort of blurred my pores.

This foundation appealed to me because it is available in some extremely pale shades and because I like to forego liquid products on occasion without compromising coverage.

While this definitely can't completely replace my beloved Flower Foundation, it is a close second. The shade I got matches my pale skin really well, and this product works great using the included sponge for medium coverage, or as a light setting powder with a brush. My skin has been extremely oily this summer and this foundation keeps me matte most of the day, with a slight touch up about five hours into wear.

I love that it is not completely flat, there is a slight sheen, almost indiscernible, that makes for a very natural finish. Lovely product, I will repurchase for sure.

on 6/26/2016 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I purchased this product to help lighten up my summer makeup routine. It's so hot and humid where I live so wearing a ton of makeup is not always fun. I have tried wearing this by applying with both a wet and dry method. I have found that I like the dry method better even if it takes a little longer to build up the coverage. When I apply it wet I feel it sticks to my dry spots and does not blend out well. I apply my moisturizer with SPF first, then a pore less primer and then start applying this with a large powder brush. I then apply my blush and everything else and I find it looks very natural when I apply it this way. It's not going to give you full coverage but it is buildable to medium coverage.

on 8/18/2015 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I wouldn't call this a powder foundation as the coverage isn't there. However, it's a great if you're not looking for huge amounts of coverage. I can even out my skin tone with this but definitely need to use concealer. Somehow, this powder makes my skin look really good even though the finish looks like I haven't applied any powder. It doesn't even leave a smoothed finish but still it strangely makes my skin look good! Also, the oil control is the best I've ever had with a powder. This is a major plus for me as my forehead usually starts looking oily in an hour. It also definitely won't make your skin look flat - just matte!

on 6/19/2015 1:19:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I adore this powder foundation!!! I cannot say enough good about it. I have combination to oily skin with neutral-yellow undertones. I will say that this is not super matte and it is not super duper longlasting for those of you with really oily skin. But I like the finish, it looks very natural on me, not powdery at all and I don't mind carrying it with me to reapply it when I need it. I use it with a primer or milk of magnesia as a primer to control better my oily T-zone, especially in summer time, but don't do this everyday because it can alter your skin pH, just occasionally.
The medium beige shade (SMP06) is a perfect match for my NC25 summer skin and the shade #03 "natural", goes with my NC20 winter skin. I love the fact that the web site tells you for each shade which undertones it has; that made it so much easier to find my perfect match; I wish all cosmetics companies would do this! and that should be written on the packaging too. The price point is great, very affordable. I just love it.