NYX Professional Makeup Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation

NYX Professional Makeup Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation

3.1

Mica, Nylon-12, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Magnesium Stearate, Silica, Cyclopentasiloxane / Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Zinc Stearate, Boron Nitride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate. MAY CONTAIN: Iron Oxide Black (CI 77499), Iron Oxide Yellow (CI 77492), Iron Oxide Red (CI 77491)

on 2/8/2012 6:04:00 PM

*EDIT*
I returned the shade I got and got the lightest one(I had bought the 2nd lightest). It was way too light for me. I gave it to my stepdaughter. It looks good on her. Maybe a tiny bit too light but not ashy like on me.
There is a narrow shade range for this product(at my store anyway) so if you can find a color that works for you then give it a try.

This was new at my local Ulta. I am a fan of powder foundations. I usually use them over a liquid foundation for extra coverage and it's nice to have on hand when I want a more natural look.
I usually use Palladio Wet/Dry and have had great luck with that one. I've bought it over and over.
I'm a total sucker for new products though so when I saw this I figured I'd give it a try. It's supposed to be a dupe for a higher end brand.
The shade range for the powder foundations isn't very big. I chose the 2nd lightest shade(Nude). They had a tester available and I put some on my skin and it disappeared into it. I tried the lightest shade and it was obvious on me.
I tried it on my skin with no foundation today. It's SOOO dark, It looks like I put self tanner on or something. It was a light coverage and has a sheen to it. Not flat/matte like Palladio(which I kind of like to be honest). This one isn't sparkly but it's definately not matte.
I can't get over the color. I don't know why it's so obviously dark on me. I almost wonder if it oxidized very quickly. I did try it over foundation when I bought it so that might be why. It looked better when applied over foundation. But I could almost wear this as a bronzer.
The package looks good. Looks like the one it's supposedly duped from. But it's a pain to open. Took me awhile to figure out how to get to the sponge applicator. Not convenient at all.
If you choose to try this, aim light when picking a color.
They also had a bunch of the liquid foundations of this line and there were far better color choices.
It was $10. I am trying to locate my receipt so I can exchange or return this.

on 2/13/2012 3:06:00 PM

This is an awesome powder foundation for the price. The review above really irks me because obviously you bought the wrong shade for your skintone and that is why it didn't work for you. It really annoys me when people give a product a bad rating just because it isn't right for them. It doesn't mean it isn't a greatly formulated product. If it is too dark on you than that is your fault, not the product. And if you say you like palladio better because it is flatter and you like flatter, than why the hell would you buy a product called "stay matte, NOT FLAT" and then rate it badly because it is not flat enough? It's not supposed to be flat! Anyway, onto my review, this is a very smooth finish great powder foundation that does exactly what it says, leaves a dry powdery feel to the skin but still shows some reflection so it doesn't actually look chalky and dry. I also purchased the second shade and it is a flawless match from the minute I put it on and stays that way. I have had no problems with any oxidation. (Now that is a different story for MAC studiofix) Also the coverage is just medium which is good because it doesn't look too heavy or masky.

on 2/21/2012 12:05:00 PM

I am a strictly powder foundation gal and have been using the Palladio Wet/Dry for some time now. I really like it, but I'm always on the lookout for something new and/or better when it comes to any makeup, so when I saw that my Ulta had expanded their NYX section to include this powder I was pretty excited.

For starters, this has a pretty big shade selection, so it shouldn't be hard for most to find a match. (Most shades seem to lean more yellow than pink, FYI). I am pretty pale and I used the testers to determine that the ivory was way too white, but the nude was a dead-on perfect match.

The texture of the powder is nice. Very smooth and not at all chalky. It goes on pretty evenly but doesn't blend completely invisible right away - you can see the powder a little bit at first, like around the nose, etc. (Note: I wear powder foundation alone, not over a liquid). The color is good, and the coverage is perfect - medium and somewhat buildable. It covers imperfections, without being mask-like. I liked its overall even but natural look that still let my skin show through.

As far as lasting power, it stays throughout the day and night with little shifting, wearing off (it did some on my chin, which is oil-prone) or oxidizing.
It felt a little dry going on at first (I'm dry-combination skin) but after a few minutes that went away. The matte not flat is a fair description, because I felt it made my skin look less dull than the Palladio does. I recently wore this to a wedding where I did a lot of dancing and the makeup barely budged, which was impressive (I was wearing it over liquid foundation then).

The compact packaging itself is nice looking, and sturdy. Of course, it looks like you are getting a huge amount, but that's just because of the sponge storage on the bottom. What you get is about standard size for powder foundation and I feel it's a fair amount for the price ($9.99). UPDATE: I hit pan after a week. It will probably last about a month but by then you are definitely down to the very edges.

I haven't used this long enough to comment on whether it will irritate/break out my skin or anything, but I am planning to keep using it, because so far I really like it. I will update my review if there are any cons to report.

Oh yes, and it's billed as being talc-free (important!), mineral enriched, oil-free and water and sweat resistant!

UPDATE: After using it for about 2.5 weeks, I was really pleased with the look of it, but it did make the dryer areas of my face (forehead) really irritated, and I developed a couple of big blemishes as well. As nothing else had changed in my routine and these are not normal occurrences for me, I have to assume it was a reaction to this makeup. I am going back to the Palladio, but if you have normal or non-sensitive skin, I would still suggest giving this a try.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

It has a great finish. Since this is a part of their HD collection I was impressed by its inexpensive price. When I swatched the shades, I thought it was just as good as my Cargo Blu Ray powder. Unfortunately, after trying warm beige and golden beige, my makeup still oxidized. If you are naturally orange, this might be great for you. I really wanted to like this product. I guess I will have to keep investing in high end HD makeup.

on 3/5/2012 12:38:00 PM

I have no in-person access to NYX so I have to base all of my color-matching on online swatches and blogs. I'm currently about NC20 and thought Nude would be a suitable match; however, I found that it is still extremely dark for my skin. I like the finish that the powder gives, but the color just didn't work. I'm not sure that Ivory would work and I'm not willing to purchase another compact to find out since I normally darken up during the summer months anyway.

one note in regards to the packaging - the clasp mechanism broke immediately. :(

on 3/7/2012 9:39:00 AM

I originally went to Ulta to get a new Urban Decay Surreal Skin compact. I have very sensitive skin, and when I saw the talc free, oil free, etc. little sign next to this product, and then looked at the price, I thought it was worth a shot.

I took it home and used it over top of my Ponds extra dry skin cream and it looked GORGEOUS! I thought I had found my new love. Until it oxidized while I was at a fancy restaurant with my husband & made me look like an oompa loompa...

I took it back and went one shade lighter (creamy natural) which was a tad white when put on at first, but after about 10 minutes it matched perfectly. HOORAY!

After about a week and a half, I noticed tons of small bumps on my chin, and one on my forehead (where I NEVER break out). This was the only change in my skin care so, needless to say, I've stopped using it. It will become another addition to the makeup graveyard in my bathroom that I'll eventually give away.

No where does it say that it's non-pore clogging, so I guess that's where I went wrong.

on 3/7/2012 9:57:00 AM

I honestly was not impressed with this at all. It didn't cover any scaring I have, It didn't cover anything actually. It just made me look like I had powder sitting on my face. I used it once & swapped it out.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I got the lightest neutral/pink-toned shade, Creamy Natural (SMP04), which applies almost white but it still gets orangey. (Those fair-skinned ladies with gold/warm undertones will want to got with SMP01, Ivory.) I've tried it wet and dry, with and without primer, and it still got shiny and oxidized. It really has a even matte finish that's not at all chalky and obviously "powdered". That's the only reason I'm giving it two stars. It doesn't even cover enough to even out my redness unless I REALLY pack it on. It also didn't control shine well and didn't last at all. An hour after doing my face it was shiny. Disappointing, if you're going to use this as a lightweight foundation. It might be okay if you want to use it as a setting powder. I'd say if your skin is on the drier side and you only want to use it as a setting powder, it's worth a shot. But if you're the slightest bit oily, or if you were thinking this could be a nice on-the-go foundation, forget it.

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I love wearing powder foundations in the spring/summer, saw this at ulta and figured i would give this a try, first off its 10 bucks, i guess its a fair price, but this stuff did not cover a thing! At best i would saw u could use this as maybe a setting powder but for 10 dollars i have many setting powders that are way cheaper, taking back to ulta!

I am on a quest to replace my EM pressed powder foundation (the version in the white plastic compact). Fairly Light is PERFECT for me - of course, this item is d/c which sucks!! I have emailed the company several times over the past 6 months and while they say they do plan on bringing it back, they don't know when.....sigh.....

I am NC 15 (for those of you not familiar w/ EM). I purchased in Ivory.

Based upon the very helpful ladies on the MU board and in light of the high ratings, I decided to give this a try. I purchased at Ulta for around $7 (it was on sale - I believe regular price is about $10.) In order to be considered a dupe to my EM, I am looking for highly pigmented (to cover my slight/blushing rosacea), non-drying, easily blendable, reasonable $, long lasting/wearing. This meets all my criteria EXCEPT it made my face feel dry/tight = I deducted 1 lippie. EM set the bar very high and this just falls short = I returned it.

Should I not find anything else that works, I will probably go back to this....sigh...