Kiehl's Clearly Corrective Dark Spot Solution

Kiehl's Clearly Corrective Dark Spot Solution

3.1

Aqua/Water, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Alcohol Denat, PEG/PPG/Polybutylene Glycol-8/5/3 Glycerin, Hydroxypropyl Tetrahydropyrantriol, 3-O-Ethyl Ascorbic Acid, PPG-6-Decyltetradeceth-30, Phenoxyethanol, Salicylic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Potassium Hydroxide, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil/Lavender Oil, Disodium EDTA, Linalool, Citrus Tachibana/Citrus Aurantium Tachibana Peel Extract, Paeonia Suffruticosa Extract/Paeonia Suffruticosa Root Extract

It didn't lighten my hyperpigmentation at all. I was told by the sales assistant it would start showing effects after the second bottle so I stupidly purchased another bottle and it still did not lighten up my hyperpigmentation. At least it didn't break me out whatsoever but then again, what's the point? Also it was hella expensive. i really wanted this product to work *sigh*

on 4/12/2016 12:53:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

As a Kiehl's advocate, I had such high hopes for this product. I have hyper-pigmentation due to acne and was hoping that this product would help diminish and ultimately fade those dark spots. I purchased a full sized bottle and dabbed the product around the spotty areas every night. After just four days of use, there was a noticeable difference to the appearance of the spots! However just when I got excited, by Day 5 my skin started to break out... A LOT. Now I am left dealing with hyper-pigmentation from past acne AND the acne provoked by this product. What a waste of money.

Edit: Just because this product cost so much... I decided to try it one more time (a few months later). But to no avail, my face is now polka-dot central. Sigh.

To Read all 78 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I have very dull-looking skin and a couple of dark spots due to acne scars. I've gotten a small sample of this to try but it was too little for me to see any results. Still, I bought the full product due to the massive positive reviews at MUA. I was thinking to myself, "it better be good!", since it's the most expensive skincare product I've ever laid hands on, and sadly, it does not work.

During the first week of usage, I used 3 drops to spread it on my entire face and neck every day and night in a patting motion. I don't see any improvement. Then I started concentrating/dabbing on my dark spots instead, which did lightened them up, but it took forever to completely diminish a spot.

I also used this on a scar on my back which turned brown, hoping to see my scar lighten. After two and a half months of consistent usage, I'd say it only lightened it by 10%.

The dropper also makes it difficult for me to get the last bit of the product out. Had to carefully pour the contents onto my palm during the last bit, which I sometimes over-pour by accident. I'm just not a fan of dropper tools, you see.

Would I purchase it again? Definitely not. And now I'm off to scout for another HG serum/essence.

on 12/14/2015 3:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I tried a sample of this to see if it would do anything and to check if my skin would react. I don't think that this is enough to adequately judge if anything is fading or not (thought after using just rose hip seed oil for a week I did notice a fading in hyper pigmentation) but I have not noticed a positive difference in my skin. There are a few very small clogged pores and dry patches that have appeared but no noticeable change in pigmentation or skin tone, besides increased redness.

There's a few things that I do want to mention about this product, and if I had read the ingredients first I would have just thrown it out instead of trying it. IIRC the third ingredient listed on the back is ALCOHOL which is not great for your skin, and extremely drying. My skin is already dry as is and I don't need alcohol ON TOP of all the drying acids in here (inclu. salicylic acid). In addition to what seems like a cocktail of acids (that do not even appear to be in high amounts, they're much further down the list than alcohol, glycerin etc) there is CITRUS ESSENTIAL OIL EXTRACT. This is a known irritant to skin, particularly acne prone skin. I imagine if you are using this you probably currently or previously have dealt with acne and this is not something I'd recommend putting on your face everyday. It does sting when you first apply. I had assumed it had something to do with the salicylic acid but now I'm thinking its the cocktail of irritants.

Lastly: I want to mention that this is an absolutely TERRIBLE choice for packaging a product that claims to include vitamin C as one of its actives. Vitamin C needs to be shielded from light and air, so putting it in a clear dropper bottle seems silly and wasteful. No wonder people in previous reviews mention this product not working after a period of time.

Overall I find this product overpriced with crappy ingredients, crappy bottle design and no delivery on promised results.

PROS:
*could* eventually fade hyper-pigmentation with repeated use
goes on smoothly

CONS:
alcohol as a main ingredient
contains irritating essential oils
not good packaging for vitamin C as an active
"active" ingredients not listed high up on ingredients list
caused small breakouts/clogged pores
stings/causes dryness and red patches

Only with two samples it removed my acne pigmentation. Amazing!

on 10/29/2015 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Deep Dark, Not Sure

I have very stubborn acne marks on my cheeks and chin, after using this product for about a month, I'm beginning to see noticeable improvement. I have also added SPF 30 to my regime and using my Clarisonic at least 2-3 times a week on my acne prone sensitive skin, I can honestly say I don't have to wear as much makeup now. The biggest benefit about this product is that I break out very easily and I have NOT broken out since I started using this product!!! I'm pleased with the results and I will continue to stick with this product, I'm hoping that with continued use my dark spots will be a thing of the past. I would recommend this product to those having problems with dark spots.

I have little red spots caused by pimples mainly on my cheeks so a friend gave me a sample packet of this to try and within 2 days I noticed that they were fading and reducing in size so I bought a bottle straight away. I have been using it every night for a week now on the pimple marks left behind and around my nose where I have some red pigmentation, the pimple marks are still in the process of fading but the pigmentation around my nose is almost gone! I have since started using it on my entire face and it has really brightened and perfect my entire complexion- will buy again

on 8/4/2015 3:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

at first i was skeptical about this, i read lots of review about this, some says its awesome, some says meh. but, my friends says she used a product from this brand before, and it works miracle. soo, i give it a try, i bought this and the ultra facial moisturizer. AND WTH it actually works. new scars are fading really quick, like, they gone in few days. DAYS! IM TRUELY IMPRESSED. but, old scars...well it still there even now, but! i can totally they getting lighter.
i just used like 1-2 drops for my entire face, after i wash them (oh i exfoliate too, so maybe it one of the reasons my scars fade quicker, im not sure), after that i apply the moisturizer. and that's pretty much all. its pricey, but i still have mine even tho it almost a year, so i think it's quite worth it.

on 7/11/2015 9:51:00 PM

I love kiehl products, but I'll definitely not going to use it anymore, it gave me more big pores and pimples after I applied it before toner!

on 5/7/2015 4:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

used one bottle of this
Pricey
Need a time to adapt with your face, bcos it made my face red for 3 night use, not really good in lighten your skin, can not combine with other treatment, otherwise it will breakout your face, yes it does!
i noticed my face getting oilier than usual when using this