NARS Cosmetics Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
NARS Cosmetics Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30
Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30NARS TM in Finland compNARS TMPure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30

4.1

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30 Sunscreen PA+++
Net WT. 1.9 Oz. 50 mL
Price: $42 (USD)

My shade: St. Moritz, Medium 1 (Sheer Glow/Matte: Barcelona, MAC: NC40, Shiseido: B60)
My skin type: oily, acne-prone

Ingredients:
Active ingredients: Octinoxate 7.4%, Titanium Dioxide 6.1%

Inactive ingredients: Water, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Propanediol, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Glycerin, Nylon-12, Cyclomethicone, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Aluminum Hydorxide, Diphenylsiloxy Phenyl Trimethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, Stearic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Polymethylsilsesquioxano, Fragrance, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Trisodium EDTA, Aluminum Distearate, Talc, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Polysilicone-2, Vibrio Alginolyticus Ferment Filtrate, Tocopherol, Alteromonas Ferment Filtrate, Sea Salt, Hydogen Dimethicone, BHT, Algae Extract, Sodium Metabisulfite, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Potassium Sorbate, [+/- (May contain): Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides].

NARS claims:
“This lightweight oil-free tinted moisturizer immediately helps thirsty skin feel hydrated. It has been proven to help reduce the appearance of discoloration and dark spots caused by hyperpigmentation for a clearer and brighter complexion in just 4 weeks. It obscures the appearance of lines, wrinkles, pores, and other imperfections. SPF 30/PA+++ adds a translucent veil of protection.

Oil-free, Paraben-free, Synthetic-Fragrance-free, Non-comedogenic. Dermatologist tested.”

MY REVIEW:
I have been using this for about 10 days. Please keep in mind I am comparing NARS to Bobbi Browns tinted moisturizer, which I used for about 2 months. I wanted to try something new so I went to the NARS counter to purchase Sheer Glow and was introduced to this product (I walked out with both). The Sales Associate first applied Annapurna, which was too yellow for my skin. It left my skin orangey. She then applied St. Moritz, which is one shade lighter and a better match.

I was a bit hesitant using another TM because after using Bobbi Brown’s TM for 2 months, I noticed my face getting oily shortly after application. So back to the store it went. I skip moisturizer and sunblock while this product allows me to. I enjoy the one-step kind of products.

It has been about 10 days and this is by far one of the better TM that has kept my oil under control. After 4 hours of wear, there is a nice sheen to my skin, definitely not oily looking.

USAGE AND APPLICATION:
After cleansing and toning, I apply my eye cream then follow with NARS’ Pro-Prime Pore Refining Primer then NARS’ tinted moisturizer with clean fingers. I prefer applying with my fingers as I do with most of my liquid foundations. I usually spot conceal after applying my liquid foundation, but I skip this step when using TM’s. The reason being, is that I like the finish of this TM as it shows my natural skin. My skin has minor blemishes, so it covers just enough to even out my skin tone. I then apply blush and finish my whole look with NARS’ Loose Powder in Eden.

CONSISTENCY AND COVERAGE:
It’s your typical creamy moisturizer, but a bit thicker. But not too thick that it can’t spread easily. The coverage is light to medium. I suggest starting off with half a pea size and build if you need more. The first time I applied it, I use double the pea size and it looked way too cakey. Keep in mind, it's buildable. If you want more coverage, spot concealing can be followed after application and before a finishing powder if preferred.

WHAT DO I EXPECT FROM THIS PRODUCT?
I expect this product to give me a more even look as well as the added protection from the sun. In addition, I’m looking for oil control, but not a matte finish. This product does exactly what I'm looking for.

OVERALL:
I really like the lightweight feel of this TM. I haven’t noticed any reduction of my hyperpigmentation. I will continue using this solely for the coverage, finish, and texture. Even if it does not reduce discolorations, I’ll still use this. I do like the moisturizing effects of both BB and NARS, I mostly like the oil control better with NARS especially since this will be my spring/summer coverage. I will add a more in depth review later on to see if there have been any improvements.

It’s also nice to see a TM that uses PA+++, which is an element in a lot of Japanese sunscreens that adds extra protection. I definitely could see more brands following this method for tinted moisturizers in the near future.

***UPDATE: MARCH 10***
I love it, but haven't seen any changes to my skin. I have minimal scaring left behind form acne so as it claims to lighten and I don't see that. I didn't buy it for that reason anyways, so I'm keeping it.

I was setting it with NARS' Loose Powder in Eden which looked beautiful when first applied, but then I noticed I was getting extremely oily shortly after. Now that I've stopped using both products together I'm less oily. I now set it with Giorgio Armani Micro-fil Loose Powder. That seems to work the best for my skin at controlling oil.

PURCHASE AGAIN?

on 4/14/2012 2:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Background:
Having been “blessed” with very oily, acne-prone skin, I am relatively new to the world of tinted moisturizers/BB creams; normally I opt for powder or liquid foundations that typically offer medium coverage. Unfortunately my skin gets clogged very easily if I am using products that have comedogenic ingredients, or if I am using so-called ‘non-acnegenic’ foundations that offer heavy coverage (e.g. ELDW) but with with daily usage eventually break me out in cystic acne. In my quest to lighten the load on my face, I decided to try my luck with tinted moisturizers – and that is how NARS pure radiant TM came into my life 3 weeks ago.

What I have used before:
I have also tried Laura Mercier oil-free (in Tan, I think), Bobbi Brown oil-free (light-medium), Tarte Smooth Operator (Agent 14) TMs as well as EL’s DayWear BB cream (medium). LM turned me into a shiny grease ball even before I was out the door even with powder on top), Tarte’s was too rich/too shiny and broke me out in 3 days, BB’s application needed too much hocus-pocus with moisturizers/blending techniques because it grabbed onto dry areas on my face (I have these due to my topical anti-acne treatments of BP and salycilic acid), and EL’s BB cream looks too ashy/fake tan-like on me. Thank goodness, NARS TM is another story!

NARS TM shade/coverage:
I use the shade St. Moritz which is a perfect match to my skin tone - I guesstimate to be around NC35-ish as I do not use MAC makeup since Studio Fix gave me a bad breakout. For reference, I am Stromboli in NARS Sheer Matte (my perfect colour match during the winter), apricot (3+) in Sisley Phyto-Teint Eclat, B50 in Chanel’s Perfection Lumiere, and 410 Bisque W in Lancome’s Teint Idole Ultra 24h. It is definitely gives a medium-light (but not sheer) coverage, if fact I think it has the most coverage among the TMs I have tried.

Here are the currently avaiable 9 shades from fairest to deepest, with a MAC skin colour/tone guide based on reviews here on MUA/friends’ hauls. Your best bet is to sample in person.

1. Finland (light1) netural pink&yellow NC15, NW15? more neutral, beige
2. Alaska (light2) netural pink&yellow NC20-25, even up to NC30; may also match NW25-30; more yellow-toned than Finland

3. St. Moritz (medium1) neutral yellow NC35-NC37; bit dark for NC30, too light for NC40+

4. Annapurna (medium2) neutral peach NC40
5. Cuba (medium3) neutral (pink&yellow) NC40-NC44

6. Malaga (medium dark1) warm caramel NC42-NC45
7. Seychelles (medium dark2) golden olive NC??
8. Martinique (medium dark3) warm red NW43-45

9. Polynesia (dark) warm chochlate NC/NW45+; may match up to NW50

What I like about NARS TM:
- very nice finish: it truly give a subtle glow (unlike the greasy “glow” of LM’s TM);
- with only one midday touch-up with MAC’s blotting powder, it still looks good by the end of the day even on my very oily skin. I should add that my oiliness is being curbed by applications of a blemish control toner (Paula’s Choice Clear Toner), my HG primer (Hourglass), and Mattify! powder (in T-zone only).
- the “my-skin- but-(much)- better” look it gives all day; I should mention though that it does not cover redness, acne marks well so a concealer is still needed
- allows me to skip moisturizer, and spf; yey, less products on my face!
- applies easily: spreading a pea-sized drop with my fingers if in a hurry, or a dabbing 2 pea-sized drops with a wet sponge (best method to prevent smudging off concealer)
-versatile: I can use it as my principal coverage as per above, or I can use it as a moisturizer under a powder foundation to get a more all-over coverage. I have also used this TM to add a tid-bit of a glow to my day look when using a somewhat flat looking powder foundation: on top of a powder foundaiton, I pat VERY little (1/4 pea-size) of this TM on my forehead, and into the V-shape area of my cheeks marked by the outer corners of the eye and nostrils, but of course I omit the nose; this definitely saves me from the fate of looking like a Twilight vampire in the sunlight, something that I can always count on when I try to use an illuminator during the day.
- is moisturizing enough for me; I am very oily though so it may not be moisturizing enough for drier skin types.
- contains a physical sunblock (titanium dioxide) that is photostable so it offers decent protection from both UVA and UVB rays without having to reapply it every 2hrs or so (and I have yet to meet a person who does that with TMs and foundations out there that contain only chemical sunscreen ingredients)
- gives a softness to my skin that stays even after I take this TM off

What are the cons with this TM:
- the price; $49 CDN is pricey for a TM especially because I will need to purchase at least one darker shade to match my skintone over the course of the summer; however if I consider that I do not need a separate spf and moisturizer, the price is not so bad
- shade range: though I have found a perfect shade (St. Moritz), the shades from one to the next not only jump a lot in depth, they also vary in undertone; I have tried Annapurna, the next shade after St. Moritz, and it looked not only darker, but dinstinctly more orange on me (I am very yellow toned though so this may not be a problem for others)
- the fact that despite stating this TM is non-comedogenic, it contains a moderately comedogenic ingredient (tocopherol, the more comedogenic form of vitamin E) as well as a highly comedogenic, though thankfully minor, ingredient (algae extract). Of course, ingredients are only potential porecloggers until proven so by zits but some of the reviewers here have already complained about acne due to this product....

UPDATE 7/Dec/12: In 8 months of daily use, has not clogged my pores, and no breakouts. Greatly improved the softness of my skin. For summer, I had to buy 2nd shade (Cuba) to mix with St Moritz. Despite the cost, HG!

on 2/14/2012 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

UPDATE: Still really enjoying this tinted moisturizer. No breakouts, good sun protection. A few caveats: those who have fair skintones may not be able to find a color match easily (so definitely swatch before you purchase!), as only Finland can be characterized as a color match for fair skin, and Alaska for light-medium skintones. Also, I find that if I layer on the tinted moisturizer for additional coverage, my skin looks a bit lackluster. It looks best if I apply just one layer of tinted moisturizer rather than putting on more for additional coverage!

Original review:

Being a fan of NARS products, I was extremely excited for the launch of this product, so as soon as it was available at Nordstrom, I rushed to purchase it! I've used it for about two weeks now, and am very pleased with the tinted moisturizer.

-At first, I was a bit concerned about the shade selection for my NC30/NARS Sheer Glow Punjab/Make Up For Ever HD 120 skintone. I knew Finland (the first shade) would be too light, and after swatching St. Moritz (third shade), I realized that shade would be too dark. I was hesitant about Alaska since it is classified as a "Light 2" shade, but my normal foundation shade, Nars Punjab, is classified as "Medium 1." However, Alaska has proven to be a great match for my light-medium yellow-toned skintone.

-The coverage and texture have been excellent for a tinted moisturizer. I've tried a number of tinted moisturizers, including Laura Mercier's and Smashbox's. While I loved the convenience and low-maintenance factors of those tinted moisturizers, I wasn't a fan of their sheer coverage or how after a number of hours, the TM would feel slightly gummy and look shiny on my oily skin. With NARS, the coverage has been just as good as what I'd get with their Sheer Glow Foundation (which, to those who aren't familiar with Sheer Glow, isn't really sheer), but the TM looks more natural (doesn't settle into pores or lines) and feels absolutely fantastic, like second skin! Depending on how much you apply, I would classify the coverage as light-medium, and it can certainly be built to medium without looking unnatural.

-The lasting power of this tinted moisturizer has been impressive too. Besides its lightweight and comfortable texture, its staying power on my oily skin has been excellent. After a long workday, the tinted moisturizer is still intact.

-No breakouts on my acne-prone skin after a few weeks of using this.

I am very happy with this tinted moisturizer and am so glad to have switched from using foundation to this product. Sometimes, my skin will feel heavy after using foundation, and it takes more work -- I have to be careful to fully blend in the foundation. WIth this tinted moisturizer, I love how I only have to use one product (rather than a separate sunscreen and primer), and it feels and looks seamless on the skin. I highly recommend this product!

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

Just got this yesterday and I am in love! I've tried a few tinted moisturizers from Mary Kay to Laura Mercier and I must say I am very pleased with this one. I picked it up at my local Nordstrom counter and tried the last few shades and two of them could have easily worked for me. The MA swatched it on my cheek and I fell for the shade Seychelles which is Med/Dark2. I am a Nc45 in Mac and this was the closest match for me. The shade range is pretty good I noticed more yellow in the shades than red so this will be great for WOC. There is 1.9 oz or 50ml of product in this and it comes in a squeeze tube bottle. It has SPF 30 sunscreen PA+++ and UVA/UVB protection. So I am very excited to use this during the summer! It feels very lightweight on my skin and gave a beautiful glow after application. It also has Vitamin C in it which is great for discoloration and dark spots on the skin. This is definitely good for sheer coverage but I used this with my sigma F80 brush just to add a bit more coverage to my skin and I noticed it covered up a majority of my acne scars. It left my skin feeling very moisturized and didn't leave that tacky feeling that you get from most tinted moisturizers from the sunscreen thats in it. It blends very well and is great for covering up redness. It has a lemon smell to it but the smell fades away after a while. I am excited to wear this out today and will be back with an update!!

on 8/9/2016 8:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This is my first review for any product. To be honest I don't usually review anything because they tend to eventually stop performing with extended use and become mediocre over time. But the NARS brand and in particular this TM has consistently impressed me over now 4 months.

I have oily, sensitive and acne prone skin and am an NC35 skintone.
I've used nearly every type of foundation/bb cream and nothing made me happy to put it on everyday like this.

Just for ref: I've used Estee Lauder double wear, Mac pro longwear, Clinique, YSL, Too Faced, Maybelline, L'Oréal, Rimmel, Almay, Bourjois the list goes on...all of these either broke me out, (except for Clinique and L'Oréal) or looked too heavy/cakey on my skin. Not letting my skin breath and at the end of the day when I remove my makeup left me looking grey and dull.

I was in Mecca Maxima and noticed a SA who had amazing skin and although I know she was wearing makeup, her skin looked like skin and not found. Off course asked her what foundation she was wearing and she said she never wears foundation but TM and that she used to use Josie's but now uses NARS. I didn't believe it at first bc I thought TMs were too sheer. The NARS TM is now the only "foundation" I wear.

When I use it my skin looks like my skin but clearer and even toned. It doesn't cover blemishes but I use the NARS or MAC concealers for that/under eyes and I powder with either Physicians Formula or Rimmel.

The best part is that even after powder 30 Min in, your skin looks healthy and not dry. I do wear moisturiser (Clinique) and a Too Faced/ Hourglass primer. But it's because I'm always so afraid of breakouts.
I have worn this for 12 hrs everyday and sometimes up to 16 hrs and it's like it blends and looks one with skin. All you need to do is blot and powder every 4-6 hours.

This TM doesn't break me out or cause skin discolouration. Sometimes I think it helps my skin be happy. :) I hope the results remain as good. Because I've read other reviews, where things change. But I just needed to write this for the oily skin girls who might be considering the NARS TM.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This a great TM for skin on the oilier side. I tried two other TMs including Smashbox and Laura Mercier. NARS is much thinner and less tacky than Smashbox, and it's less moisturizing and gives a less dewey finish than Laura Mercier. Since my skin is oily, these differences are key for me.

I would compare the texture of the NARS TM to water, rather than to cream. It leaves the skin feeling quenched, but not greasy (loooove that). The finish is luminous, but not too dewey. The coverage is fantastic. It literally looks like a light to medium coverage foundation, especially if set with a powder.

The color options are great for WOC. I am an NC45 in MAC and my winter shade is Malaga, while my summer shade is Seychelles. If you're planning to set the foundation with a powder, keep in mind that if your powder is not translucent, it'll probably darken your face. Combine that with the inevitable oxidation, and you'll be a bit too dark. It's nothing dramatic, but just something to keep in mind. Despite being aware of this darkening effect, I decided to go with the shade that matches me exactly so that I could have the option of going powder-less.

The other major reasons why I chose this TM over the others is the fact that it has a higher SPF than is typical (SPF 30!) and the fact that it has a good dose of vitamin C, which is said to lighten up dark spots, which I need for my acne scars.

This is an awesome product. $42 sounds pricey, but think about it--you're getting a fantastic moisturizer, an SPF 30 sunscreen, and excellent coverage in one. This product is worth the money. By the way you don't need a whole lot to do your entire face. The bottle looks small, but I can tell it'll last a while.

I definitely recommend this TM in general, and especially if you are a WOC with oily skin or acne-prone skin. It's great!!

on 10/2/2016 7:58:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Skin type: Yellow undertone, SUPER OILY, Have some healing acne spots and acne scars. Right now while trying this product, I don't have any active acne so I can't tell you how it covers those Red Devils.

Shade bought: St Moritz Medium 1

I was hesitant to buy this because it is essentially a moisturiser and since I am super oily, I was afraid it would not last on my skin. When I mean super oily, I mean like I can literally use my finger and wipe oil off my nose/T-zone area within 30 minutes after I wash my face. I am that oily. And being in a humid country like Singapore with weather usually around 34 degrees celcius doesn't help either.

Right now I'm pretty tan, around NC30-35, nearer to 35 and Medium 1 is a darn perfect match I would say. It's really lightweight and blendable, and it's so natural you can't tell if you have any product on at all. It looks like skin. However, it does feel a little tacky after application but I set my foundation/base anyway so it makes it much smoother. I use the Banila Co. Prime primer finish powder btw and it's the bomb.com for oily skin I tell ya.

I like using my sigma f88 flat angled kabuki for this because I want to get as much coverage as possible, and using a beauty blender does sheer it out significantly for me. It has a good light-medium coverage, build able to medium at best. You wouldn't want to build till full even though you can, it'll look greasy and tacky as heck.

Longevity wise, it lasts a good 4-5 hours on me before i find it moving to more of an oily than a dewy look. If you're oily like me, you will definitely have to blot or touch up during the day but it's not a big deal cause I'm use to powdering myself anyways. Coverage stays exactly the same with minimal fading on the skin for 12+ hours.

All in all, I love this stuff. It hasn't broken me out or cause me any allergic reactions. The only downfall I would say is the price. I got it in the states for $44 excluding tax and it costs S$70 here. Wished it lasted a little longer as well but it is a moisturiser and nothing lasts Long on my skin anyways.. Sad life of a oily skin girl :(

Update on June 2017: I currently have cystic acnes because I'm lazy ass and didn't visit my derm but I still do use this product because I consider this my HG, and as expected it doesn't cover them up completely but that's what's a concealer is for right? So still no complains on this product! Love it!

on 2/21/2012 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

GORGEOUS, pure radiance, light weight. Great variation of colors. I also love the MAC face and body so I would switch up between the two. Nars did a great job. For reference I am NC45. I bought this in Malaga perfect shade for me. Seychelles was too dark for me.
UPDATE: Had a few break outs around the time I started using this, I didn't want to take the chance so I returned it. Will continue using my MAC face and body.

Finally a foundation that doesn't accentuate my dry spots and large pores!!! I had tried so many foundations, creams, liquids and powders prior to purchasing NARS Tinted Moisturizer. All of the other foundations went on blotchy, accentuating dry areas and the pores on my nose, but this foundation does not do that. It is like I am applying a moisturizer. I love it and I recommend it especially if you have dry thirsty skin like mine!

My skin gets oily quickly and most products (foundation, powder, moisturizer, sunscreen) tend to feel heavy or greasy on my skin. Having said that, I can't get over how light this product feels while providing moderate coverage and evening out my skintone. Even though I have oily skin, I prefer products that have moisturizer in them as mattifying products tend to set my skin into oil production overdrive. This product seems to help balance out my skin so I haven't experienced that extra oil effect I get from a lot of foundations. I have tried the LM tinted moisturizer in Nude and while I thought the texture was nice to work with, the coverage was so sheer on me and it was too creamy on my skin to add multiple layers. I picked up the travel size NARS tinted moisturizer in the shade Alaska and it's a good match for my NC25/30 skin. After I run out I might look into other shades in the full sized line as the travel version is only available in 2. I like to apply a full layer over my entire face on top of primer, then go in with a second layer in areas that need extra coverage. Past foundations I've used either left me with a finish that is too dewy or too matte, but this one is right in between and blends so nicely that it doesn't look like I'm wearing makeup. It's the closest 'natural' skin look I've found that actually provides coverage. I do need to follow up with concealer over some dark spots. I use the NARS light reflecting loose powder to set which leaves a nice glowy finish and keeps the tinted moisturizer in place for the entire day. I haven't noticed any improvements in the condition of my skin but it hasn't given me any negative reactions either which is a huge plus because my skin is very sensitive.