Waxelene- The Petroleum Jelly Alternative

Filtered by hair type : Other

Organic soybean oil, 100% natural beeswax, organic rosemary oil, 100% natural vitamin E oil

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Waxelene has become extremely difficult to find anywhere but Amazon & the prices there have varied wildly in some highly disturbing ways. That’s a shame because I think I’ve tried nearly every lip product on the market & nothing compares. It even puts several of those outrageously expensive but beloved cult classics to shame (looking at you Smiths, La Mer, L’occitane & By Terry).

There are no irrelevant fillers to be found in Waxelene & its simple soy base is magic for moisturizing dry lips, though it can be used around the eyes & on dry feet, hands & elbows as well. In fact, I use this on my 8 year-old’s chapped cheeks and probably wouldn’t have hesitated to use it as a diaper cream had I known about it when he was small. Unlike standard petroleum jelly & Aquaphor, It actually absorbs & softens while still providing that waterproof barrier the aforementioned are so well-known & loved for. You’ll never want to go back to standard vaseline once you’ve tried it & don’t say I didn’t warn you! There’s a reason Angelina Jolie has endorsed it. As cynical as I am when it comes to advertising, I actually believe (perhaps for the first time ever) that a celeb’s motives were pure. That says it all.

I was fortunate enough to obtain a large 5 oz tube of this for approximately 15.00 on Amazon recently…only to find the tiny 0.2 oz tube was being sold for the same price when I returned to purchase some for my sister. Snap this stuff up while you still can!

I got this product as a gift. It's definitely a lot more lightweight than vaseline and feels great. Just not 100% sure if I would buy it myself again because Aquaphor is a lot cheaper and has the same healing properties, plus mineral oil so I'm not sure it's worth the price difference. But this product itself is great and I love how it feels on my face.

I love Waxelene! I'd never heard of it, but bought it at Whole Foods on a whim because I just adore the packaging. (I can never resist a pale yellow/bee combination - Burt's Bee's got me like that too!) I can attest that this in fact does not clog pores as the packaging states - and I have super-ridiculous-mega-easy-to-break-out skin. The smell of it threw me off at first. I read reviews to see if my tube had gone bad. I read people saying it smelled like honey, others like rosemary - and mine smells like wood! I finally found a few other reviewers on different sites likening the smell to fresh cut wood and that's exactly it. No idea why it smells like that, and, the smell is not faint to me either, especially when on your lips which is of course right under your nose! But I've gotten used to it the more I use it. Slightly gritty when first going on but melts to be very smooth. I've used it on my lips, cuticles and backs of my hands with pretty great success BUT I found it for something else that I will probably continue to use it always for. On the ends of my hair. My long hair is a little bit coarse and also dry on the ends (I don't use a lot of conditioner because conditioners like to break me out...) and I always felt like what my ends needed were a little moisture and a little WAX to keep them from frizzing out. The texturizing wax products at the salon seemed too waxy and claimed strong hold which seemed like it would be drying rather than moisturizing. Plus I never trust the ingredients when the list is ten feet long. Well, when I read you could put this on hair, I split my hair into 2 and I put a pea sized amount on the ends of each side, after my shower while my hair was still damp. (Not too much, will make ends clump together and look oily, just a very small amount.) Let my hair air dry, slept with it in a bun while very slightly damp and in the morning such glorious textured waves with no crazy frizzing! It does not put any shine because of the wax component - and we all know that beeswax isn't really shiny - but it does moisturize my hair from the oils and vitamin E. Now my ends seem moisturized, texturized and they behave! Best of all: absolutely NO breakouts from sleeping with this stuff on my hair. Rave! And will repurchase, probably forever!

I love this stuff and I'm happy to see the other positive reviews on MUA. I have nothing against petroleum jelly, but I love this stuff because of its staying power. It's (bees)wax based and not greasy and it really lasts. I use it on my lips and feet. It's also great for protecting the skin if you're gonna be outside in really cold, windy weather. Also, you don't need to use much - it lasts for quite a while. I bought one of the huge jars and I don't know if I'll ever get through it. Now I just buy the smaller jars, which are easier to carry around, anyway.

EDIT: I still really, really like this stuff, but I've found it does go bad after a while. I don't know exactly how long I've had my jar, but I'd guess around a year and a half. It's started to smell "off", so I'm getting rid of this jar and will be buying a new one.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I've used this product for a really long time and I love it. I use it to remove makeup, it even takes off waterproof mascara. I had a friend visiting from out of town recently, and she forgot to pack her skin care kit, so she used my products. She had never heard of this. Of course, she's a total convert now! She raved so much that I felt compelled to review it.
If you've never tried this, treat yourself. It smells delicious, it's creamy, and it's much better for you than petroleum based products. I also love that it comes in a glass jar, which I save and use to store beads and litte things.

Popular Lotions / Creams