Waxelene- The Petroleum Jelly Alternative

4.7

Organic soybean oil, 100% natural beeswax, organic rosemary oil, 100% natural vitamin E oil

I love this stuff and I'm happy to see the other positive reviews on MUA. I have nothing against petroleum jelly, but I love this stuff because of its staying power. It's (bees)wax based and not greasy and it really lasts. I use it on my lips and feet. It's also great for protecting the skin if you're gonna be outside in really cold, windy weather. Also, you don't need to use much - it lasts for quite a while. I bought one of the huge jars and I don't know if I'll ever get through it. Now I just buy the smaller jars, which are easier to carry around, anyway.

EDIT: I still really, really like this stuff, but I've found it does go bad after a while. I don't know exactly how long I've had my jar, but I'd guess around a year and a half. It's started to smell "off", so I'm getting rid of this jar and will be buying a new one.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This has the most amazing true honey scent to my nose! I love it. I picked this up at wholefoods in the baby section. It's soy based and has a good ingredient list. I spread a bit in my palms and emulsify in order for it to become an oil. Sinks in my skin easily and really softens the skin. All purpose if you ask me. I have used this on dry cuticles and feet, ends of my hair, dry patches on my body, as a lip balm, and on my elbows. It worked great for all of them. If you are looking for a greener alternative to vaseline then this is it. I like this better than unpetroleum by Alba botanica.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This product is my Lip savior, after a month of suffering from extreme dryness and flaking of my llips and been using some meds and creams and some are prescribed by derma. Finally and amazingly waxelene came along and just for overnight,my lips gets better now and even softer.,i dont mind the smell coz its the natural ingredients that were used. I super like and recommend this. :) really thanks to this product. ❤ #crueltyfree indeed. 😊

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I've been using this product for about 4 years now, as a healthy alternative to petroleum. Before this, I used the Un-Petroleum product available at WFs.

What I use this for mainly is: lip balm, DIY lipscrub (blend with a small pinch of coconut sugar), night time foot treatment and I use it to turn powder eyeshadow and blush into a luminous cream.

I have always had the jar, but in the last year they've brought it out in tubes. I especially enjoy the pocket-sized travel tube that they have at natural food stores. I now have a couple circulating in my handbag, makeup bag and gym bag.

It's also great for taming rogue eyebrow hairs in a pinch. I don't detect a smell and I have a pretty good sniffer, so it can't be that obvious if it does indeed have one.

What else? Oh, it's awesomely cheap. The other day Sprouts had the biggest jar on sale for $9.99...it was what I would consider a Costco-sized jar. Seems to go on sale enough to make it worth it, economically speaking.

I love this stuff as a lip balm and weekly moisturizing face mask. I apply on Sunday morning (sometimes over a thin layer of maracuja or argan oil) and lounge around the house with it on all day. I don't use it at night because it would make my mid-length, fine, straight hair oily. But if I go back to a pixie cut, I'd probably try this as a final moisturizer at night. I found the smell a little odd at first, but now I like it.

Edit: I'm now using this on my feet with aloe socks. It is amazing at softening my feet. Even Vaseline never worked this dramatically or fast. Also fantastic on cuticles overnight! I went to my local Natural Grocers and got the small 2 oz size, so I can carry it in my purse. This stuff is wonderful!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I've used this product for a really long time and I love it. I use it to remove makeup, it even takes off waterproof mascara. I had a friend visiting from out of town recently, and she forgot to pack her skin care kit, so she used my products. She had never heard of this. Of course, she's a total convert now! She raved so much that I felt compelled to review it.
If you've never tried this, treat yourself. It smells delicious, it's creamy, and it's much better for you than petroleum based products. I also love that it comes in a glass jar, which I save and use to store beads and litte things.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this stuff. I'm not one to only use organic products but waxelene beats vaseline in moisturizing and improving texture of skin and lips. I also smooth it over eye and lip wrinkles at night and it plumps them! It smells like honey and when i put it on my son's boo boos they heal with no scars. I got it at whole foods for $6 and since you use way less then regular petroleum jelly it lasts forever. I used to have chronic chapped lips even when using Vaseline but with waxelene they are soft and smooth.
Update: So I can't use beeswax on my face, it causes pimples. I have also found out I'm allergic to a lot of natural ingredients. I still like this for feet,knees,hands,and elbows.
Update: 2012. After allergy test I am not allergic to anything in waxelene. I compared it with Vaseline and this works so much better on chapped lips and skin. I use it on my lips,hands and face with great results. It works for my little one too.

I love Waxelene! I'd never heard of it, but bought it at Whole Foods on a whim because I just adore the packaging. (I can never resist a pale yellow/bee combination - Burt's Bee's got me like that too!) I can attest that this in fact does not clog pores as the packaging states - and I have super-ridiculous-mega-easy-to-break-out skin. The smell of it threw me off at first. I read reviews to see if my tube had gone bad. I read people saying it smelled like honey, others like rosemary - and mine smells like wood! I finally found a few other reviewers on different sites likening the smell to fresh cut wood and that's exactly it. No idea why it smells like that, and, the smell is not faint to me either, especially when on your lips which is of course right under your nose! But I've gotten used to it the more I use it. Slightly gritty when first going on but melts to be very smooth. I've used it on my lips, cuticles and backs of my hands with pretty great success BUT I found it for something else that I will probably continue to use it always for. On the ends of my hair. My long hair is a little bit coarse and also dry on the ends (I don't use a lot of conditioner because conditioners like to break me out...) and I always felt like what my ends needed were a little moisture and a little WAX to keep them from frizzing out. The texturizing wax products at the salon seemed too waxy and claimed strong hold which seemed like it would be drying rather than moisturizing. Plus I never trust the ingredients when the list is ten feet long. Well, when I read you could put this on hair, I split my hair into 2 and I put a pea sized amount on the ends of each side, after my shower while my hair was still damp. (Not too much, will make ends clump together and look oily, just a very small amount.) Let my hair air dry, slept with it in a bun while very slightly damp and in the morning such glorious textured waves with no crazy frizzing! It does not put any shine because of the wax component - and we all know that beeswax isn't really shiny - but it does moisturize my hair from the oils and vitamin E. Now my ends seem moisturized, texturized and they behave! Best of all: absolutely NO breakouts from sleeping with this stuff on my hair. Rave! And will repurchase, probably forever!

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Amazing product - does everything Vaseline does with the added benefit of being made from all-natural ingredients. It also smells great. It's costlier than Vaseline but I think it also lasts longer.

I have been looking for a natural product to replace the petroleum jelly I had used for years on my hands at night (had no idea just how horrible that stuff was)! I was beyond happy to have found Waxelene!!! The texture and color are indeed similar to petroleum jelly, but it is all-natural and smells amazing (a light herbal/rosemary scent). I apply this at night, and in the morning my hands are incredibly smooth and soft! It applies clear, glides on easily, and is very thick in consistency (if you're looking for something to absorb quickly, this is not it). It comes in a 2oz container with a screw-on lid (see above photo). The price ($6.99) is very reasonable considering the quality ingredients and how long it lasts. Used nightly on my hands, one jar lasted me about 4-5 months (since it spreads so easily a little bit goes a long way).
According to their website, there are a ton of other uses for this product (Skin moisturizing, protection, and lubrication, protection from chafing, friction, and wind burn, eczema, make-up removal, hair texture aides, after sun, diaper irritation, aftershave, etc).
I purchased this from Natural Joy Beauty (link: http://www.naturaljoybeauty.com/servlet/the-553/Waxelene-The-Petroleum-Jelly/Detail)

Popular Lotions / Creams