Cetaphil Cetaphil Derma Control Oil Control Moisturizer SPF 30

Cetaphil Cetaphil Derma Control Oil Control Moisturizer SPF 30

2.9

Active Ingredients: Avobenzone 3%, Octisalate (5%), Octocrylene (7%) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Isopropyl Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Diisopropyl Sebacate, Silica, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Sucrose Tristearate, Dimethiconol, Pentylene Glycol, Polysorbate 61, Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glycyrrhetinic Acid, Panthenol, Triethanolamine, Allantoin, Carbomer, Potassium Sorbate, Zinc Gluconate, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Hydroxypalmitoyl Sphinganine

It breaks me out unfortunately after one use. I will not use it on my face again but will use it on my body to finish it up.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is absolutely a throwaway product. Please do not waste your money on this. I'm surprised the rating here is as high as it is.

This product rates as being quite expensive within my repertoire, and I would rarely throw my dough at something like this but I trust the Cetaphil brand and not many products developed by dermatologists tout being things that will literally control oil production. I have had awfully oily skin my entire life (beyond "just a little shiny 8 hours after I do my face") and I was excited to try something like this out, even if it only offered a mild benefit. No no no no. It was just all disappointment. I do not anticipate buying anything from Cetaphil with wild claims ever again and plead you to also do the same and stick to their facewash.

Firstly, as many have stated, the finish of this product is not matte. It is "natural." Not dewy, not shiny, not matte, but just a neutral finish. Not necessarily soft in texture either, still a tacky finish, although it is not overwhelming but it's enough that I wouldn't wear this without putting at least some powder over it.

Oil control? Wow, no. And it seems like I am not the only one who feels this way, and I notice a pattern of people with super oily skin feeling this way; I really think this product made my skin even a little bit MORE oily throughout the day. Again, not horribly so. And honestly, I would barely think much of it if this was just a moisturizer, but it doesn't advertise itself that way. It is supposed to reduce oil, and it failed to even maintain the oiliness I'm accustomed to.

Furthermore, it is a WEAK moisturizer. And my slightly sensitive skin did burn sometimes when I put this on. But did my face feel hydrated after using this? No. I think this tried to be two very different things (moisturizer / oil control) and in the process failed to do either one effectively. I will say one benefit is the SPF, and it makes a nice sunscreen truly. I used this every morning under my makeup and under only powder while I was in Key West in the summer, and it kept my face burn-free for sure (which is a feat, because I use retinoic acid creams on my face daily and they sensitize my skin to sun exposure).

I would have given this 2 or 3 stars if it wasn't so expensive. But because it was so expensive and because my disappointment with it ran so deep that it killed my trust in an entire brand, I have to rate this as low as I can, and wish I could give this negative stars if I could.

Save your dollars!!! Buy a good moisturizer and quit falling for "oil control" marketing because it is never true!

To Read all 150 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This product works wonderfully for me, I've been using it for at least two years now. Having very pale combination skin I need high SPF moisturizer and this does the trick. It doesn't make my skin appear that matte but is a fantastic base for foundation and keeps oil production from making my makeup slide around. My only warning is since there is sunscreen in it keep away from eyes, it stings!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I had very high hopes for this in the beginning because I needed a more affordable moisturizer with a good amount of SPF in it and control my oil at the same time but in the end it just wasn't meant to be. The SPF protects very well, which is the only reason I'm giving it 2 stars instead of 1.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted to love this. The packaging is adorable, I give it an A+, with the smooth exterior and simple purple pump, but it didn't control oiliness. In fact, it increased my level from oily to VERY oily skin or at least look way greasier immediately after applying it. The product is very lightweight which is good but did not do the job it was advertised to handle.

In conclusion, I have learned over the past few weeks that investing in higher end products is more worth it if you have skin that is tricky to deal with (I have acne-prone, oily, and slightly sensitive skin).

on 5/23/2016 10:52:00 AM

I would give this product 0 stars if I could. There is nothing positive about it. It was recommended to me by my dermatologist, and I was excited to try on my sensitive/acne prone skin. The product is very harsh to the eye area, and if you get anywhere near your eyes will cause them to burn severely. I was on the verge of returning my foundation, because my skin would become extremely oily just hours after applying my make-up, and would have to blot several times throughout the day. A few days of leaving this moisturizer out of my routine, and I realize it was not the foundation at all! Add to all this the fact that I am 90% sure this was giving me cystic acne, I would say this is probably the worst moisturizer I have ever used. $15-$20 for cystic acne and oily skin? No thanks.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I liked this at first, but after about a month it started getting little clumps in it! They get all over my face and hands and and are really a pain in the ass. Also, the smell is gross and the consistency is thin but has a greasy feeling. There are tons of drugstore moisturizers that are both cheaper and actually do their job, so don't bother paying $20 for one that doesn't.

on 1/16/2016 11:39:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This is a decent moisturizer with a high SPF. It does feel a little sticky when you first apply it, but once it sets, that feeling goes away - even though it doesn't really dry to a matte finish.

It moisturizes just right, makes an excellent base for makeup and despite its dewy-ish finish, actually has decent oil control. Because of that, and because of the reliable sun protection and fragrance-free formula, this is a good option for my sensitive combination skin, that I would recommend and repurchase.

on 12/30/2015 12:09:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I feel like this product is really nothing special. It doesn't control my oil, but it keeps my skin hydrated and protected from UV rays. I continue repurchasing this simply because it hasn't failed me now, but it is nothing to rave about. I wouldn't recommend it, nor would I say anything bad about it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

Back before acne treatments dried my face and birth control helped control my oil somewhat, I was using this in the vain hopes that it would help mattify my skin. It did not. In fact, I felt sticky and gross using this, and I used a whole bottle in hopes that it would get better. It did not. I didn't break out from this, but that's it.
I'd recommend talking to your doc about birth control cuz that helps cut the oil production, but if you can't go on birth control and/or you're still looking to degrease: use blotting sheets. and blotting powder. no moisturizer is gonna keep you matte. And this one just feels gross. You'd be better off finding a regular, but light moisturizer than one specifically geared toward 'keeping you matte'.

on 11/15/2015 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I originally purchased this for my 13 year old daughter because she has oily acne prone skin, and I wanted her to have a facial sunscreen as part of her daily beauty regimen. For her, this works fine. It does not break her out, but it does not control oil at all.

I decided to try this out myself, and I really like it. I have combination skin, and I really like how it makes my skin feel and it has been an excellent base before I put on my foundation (double wear). Moisturizes without making my t-zone greasy and not heavy feeling at all. Also, does not cause a white cast on the face. It's pretty pricey though, but sometimes Cetaphil has coupons on their website. Combine coupon with a sale, and the price is not that bad.