Julep Nail Polishes

Nail PolishesJulep DemiNail Polishes

2.4

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

The tl;dr version of this review can be summed up as follows: No. Bad. All wrong. Do not buy.
I signed up for a free Julep Maven trial box, then forgot to cancel before they shipped me another box (which was heavily discounted, luckily). I actually loved some of the colors they sent me, including one that I normally wouldn't go for (an orangeish red with a bronze metallic sheen). I have now tested several shades and formulas with varying results. I gave them 2 lippies *only* because some of their colors are beautiful and just what I had been looking for. I also liked the aesthetic of the packaging and the bottles. However, the tall, skinny bottles are a nightmare to work with...they tip over very easily, which can create a huge mess. The brush is okay, nothing special. It's just your basic cheap/thin nail brush. Overall, the packaging just needs to be more functional/practical/user friendly.

The polish itself is highly pigmented, but super runny! It literally dripped sideways off the stem of the brush as I did my nails and plopped all over my work surface. No matter how many times I wiped the brush, the polish still kept coming down to the bristles from IDK where and leaving puddles of polish on my nails. Messy, difficult to clean up (due to the heavy pigmentation), and not self-leveling. I consistently had bare, super thin spots and really thick gloppy spots on the same nail, which took some effort to even out.

Drying time was an issue with most of the colors I tried - even thin layers of Fifi were damp and smudging after 30 minutes drying time per coat. The oxblood and metallic blue colors I tried were good to go with 30 minutes between coats, no smudging. So, at best, I need to spend an hour drying the color, plus however long it takes to cure the top coat after that. After all my effort to dry my nails, I was bummed that 3 of the colors chipped the *same day* just by texting or typing on my laptop. I normally don't even complain about chipping, because my expectations are super low in that department. If I could even just get to the next day before chipping started, I would be happy...but Julep is a same-day chipper. The one exception was a color called Austen, which did not chip on my toenails only (but then again, toenails rarely chip, so this isn't worth many brownie points).

For the price point, Julep is seriously lacking as a nail brand, and I would not recommend their stuff at all. I've seen individual polishes going for $12-$14 each on the Julep website, which is a solid 50% - 100% more per bottle than other, better brands (like Essie). Even Sally Hansen, Revlon, and $2 Sinful Colors nail polishes blow Julep out of the water in every way. I will probably end up pitching certain colors, like Fifi, that are excessively difficult to work with and are just dupes of other brands anyway.

I'm pretty surprised by some of the terrible reviews here! I have been a Julep maven for over a year and I have over three dozen of these polishes. It has become the only brand I ever need to use. I started out as a multi-brand user, I had a bunch of drugstore brands and also Color Club, OPI, etc., and some indies I got for the glitters. After I had a range of colors from Julep I've completely stopped looking for some thing better.
A really big pro is the top coat. It is not advertised as quick drying, but it dries very, very fast for me. I absolutely stopped wasting the money on Seche Vite (where half the bottle becomes unusable anyway). I got a free bottle of Seche last month and tried it, but see no reason to change my mind. For specifics: I often do two coats of polish over a base coat layer. Sometimes three, or a thick layer of glitter. Add this top coat, and everything dries beautifully.
Not sure why some people have issues with the dry time. If you look at the reviews on Julep's site, it comes up sometimes as well. I've never had that problem at all, even when I discovered the best product...
The bonding base coat. Omg, it's so much better than any I've tried. I have thin, damaged nails (due to my behavior, not the polish) and this has completely stopped the corners chipping after a couple of days, as they usually did. I literally can wear a manicure for a week now.
And that's always the Julep colors. I honestly don't know why people have so many issues. One thing that I discovered a few years ago is it helps greatly if you wipe your nails down with rubbing alcohol and wait a minute before applying (it not just cleans them, but also dries them if there is any moisture).
I use Julep polish every single week, one or two manis depending when I get impatient. The only thing I wish they had was a matte top coat. The colors, the glitters, the textured finishes, the matte metallics, everything.
For this review, I considered lowering the "Price" score to four lippies, but really, any other brand is the same. Drugstore stuff never performs as consistently for me. And if you're a maven, everything is very reasonable.

on 10/8/2016 2:53:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

**See updates at the bottom of my review**

My review is only for the polish as a retail customer. I have no experience with customer service or with being a Julep Maven.

Unlike the others here, I've had an excellent experience with this product.

I used Jessie (Bombshell) on top of Seche Ridge Filler then topped it off with Essie All in One. I just needed one coat of the polish which went on smooth and dried opaque. No streaking whatsoever.

The polish dried quickly...within 30 minutes. Right after, I cooked dinner then washed dishes. No chips, dings or dents.

I will report back after I more have experience with the product.

Update 1 (10/14/2016): I applied the polish on 10/08. It is now 6 days since application and I have no chips. Yay!

Confusing business model. So I get its a subscription box but what is this skipping and no skipping thing. I don't even want the things they send me. There are business where they allow us to return partial items. This company you can't. And they don't cover your return fee.
Nail polish colors are great. But for the price and size, it's not worth it. The makeup, I hate it. There are other beauty boxes that's a lot better and tailor to you. Dont buy here! Stay away!!!

on 6/12/2016 10:53:00 PM

They reel you in with a free beauty box, and then you try to paint your nails and disaster ensues. The packaging is cute but the brush is flimsy. The colors are gorgeous but the formula is either runny or globby, with streaky coverage at best. It takes an eternity to dry, and then when it does, it chips almost immediately. Seriously, if a company's thing is nail polish, you'd think they'd at least do a decent job, but the product is sub par at best.

on 5/5/2016 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I'm coming out of a long hiatus from reviewing because I bought quite a few of these polishes and found out how terrible they are. The colors are wonderful. Pick anything on the visible spectrum of colors we know, and Julep has it. That's the only good thing about it.

It never really dries completely, and you have to use 3 or 4 coats to get coverage. So if you do it with base and top coats, you've got about 5 coats, and if you layer colors one on top of another, or use one of their "transformers," it's even more coats. I could deal with that if it would last more than a few hours. It mostly comes off in large sheets-- little ovals that flake off at the least bit of impact. I'm not doing heavy manual labor here. I'm talking I go into the freezer for a couple of ice cubes or to type and it's coming off in sheets. I'm not chopping wood or slopping the hogs here.

The prices are ridiculous, and they play games with sales and bonus items that you can add to your subscription box. One month a set of 4 polishes in a box will be going for $40. The next month you'll see it as a bonus item for $15. The month after that, they'll have it at $50 in a different section of the store. All this kind of pricing does is make me wonder how much I'm being ripped off on other items.

The packaging is insanely wasteful. All the polishes and other items are on one layer on top of a pile of shredded paper packaging in a box I could put three cats in. I'm sure this woman has studied marketing and there is some reason why other women love to get huge boxes with nothing in them. I'm not other women.

You can skip any shipment, but you have to remember to do that. I am at home most of the time and I still forgot once. I can't imagine trying to remember to mess with this between kids and a full time job.

You can't delete your credit card info from their site, or cancel your account on site on your own. You have to email them and tell hem to delete/cancel, and you have to wait for them to get around to it. The fact that I can't remove my own CC info makes me furious.

If you are dying for a particular color of this polish, and for some reason you can make it actually stick to your nails, get the single polish on ebay or some other place. Otherwise avoid this product and the company. I could have overlooked a lot of the irritating things about this polish if it would stay on my nails even for just a couple of days. Better yet, skip it, put a bunch of Sally Hansen and China Glaze in a box, then open it 2 weeks later. You'll be much happier.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I so happen to be a julep Maven and personally enjoy Julep's makeup and skincare products and find that they are excellent in quality and the packaging for them is great to. However unfortunately, none of these ring true to their nail polishes which sadly is what julep is known for which puzzles me... Yes they have a beautiful and fun variety of colors which is what reels you in. But when it comes to the polish formula itself it is really really crappy, streaky, patchy, sheer and just runny. It won't dry for crap and will smudge easily. Even when using their basecoat and white base polish on some that recommend to do so. I honestly haven't tried one julep polish that I haven't been disappointed with and it's almost so sad because I love the colors so much but the quality and application just don't cut it. Especially for the price!! I'm surprised that for being such an expensive nail polish brand they haven't improved their formula. I personally believe that julep should be known for their makeup and skincare that are actually good quality products worth your money but definitely not for their polishes... That's really the only reason why I even stay a maven member is for everything but the polish. So bottom line I wouldn't recommend these nail polishes. Just get something cheaper, chances are they will work much better and save you a heck of alot of money. Sorry julep! but your polish really needs some improvements or some price cuts to go with that formula if it's not gonna be changed.

on 4/30/2016 10:24:00 AM

I was actually exicited to write this review because I have never used such a bad nailpolish before and I want to save people from having to be disapointed. It came in a trial lux box from amazon, so it's not the cost. The polish is so thin it drips despite wiping the tip of the brush. This also leads to uneven coverage on the nail as it pools away from the cuticle end or the tip end, depending on how you have your hand positioned. Definitely multiple coats needed. It takes forever to dry. And it chips within hours of drying. Who cares about the colors and nice bottles if the product is so deficient? Back to Sally Hansen.

on 4/18/2016 7:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have about 5 of these nail polishes, love the design , they're so cute and I adore the colors. I find the nail polish to be very pigmented, which is a good thing, I would only need 1 coat when I do my nails. The major downside is that these polishes chip after just 1 day :( I had 2-3 fingers that needed to be retouched the next day. It is really a waste of time and effort doing my nails, admiring them , and have them chip the next day. I will be throwing them out even though all of them are mostly full, and 2 of them are brand new. It's just not worth it.

on 12/29/2015 1:06:00 AM

I subscribed to Julep a couple years ago. I unsubscribed because I found the I never quite liked everything in the box. I thought I would just spend the money once a month on one really amazing nail polish of my choice down at the local Sephora. On my monthly, more like weekly, visit down to my own personal Mecca; I saw Julep was now being sold at Sephora. I gagged a little and looked down on Sephora. I thought Sephora was going up in the world and starting to cast out the peasant makeup brands that wore their hair in pony tails twice a week or tried to sit with Sephora and Hautelook at the same time. YOU CAN'T SIT HERE JULEP! I digress...

PROS:
- The bottle is cute... small but cute...
- Two colours, out of like 18, were unique. I gave away the other 16 bottles to two friends. One liked the nail polish and the other, a mean girl like myself, hated them. I was just checking their site though and I like some colour options; so many cantaloupes...

CONS:
- I hated the formulation. I had similar distaste for this that I have for Essie. This nail polish does not dry on my fingers and applies quite streaky (in general, I did keep 2 of 18).
- I HATE the applicator. For the price you would think it would be a little better. It literally is like the nail polish wand on kids play makeup.. thin... plastic... It sticks together... its just bad.
- The nail polish is hella expensive!
- The bottle makes for a mess for the accident prone.

Bad applicator, bad formulation for me equals no go.

Popular Polishes