Julep Nail Polishes

Julep Nail Polishes
image 1image 2image 3

2.4

Confusing business model. So I get its a subscription box but what is this skipping and no skipping thing. I don't even want the things they send me. There are business where they allow us to return partial items. This company you can't. And they don't cover your return fee.
Nail polish colors are great. But for the price and size, it's not worth it. The makeup, I hate it. There are other beauty boxes that's a lot better and tailor to you. Dont buy here! Stay away!!!

on 6/12/2016 10:53:00 PM

They reel you in with a free beauty box, and then you try to paint your nails and disaster ensues. The packaging is cute but the brush is flimsy. The colors are gorgeous but the formula is either runny or globby, with streaky coverage at best. It takes an eternity to dry, and then when it does, it chips almost immediately. Seriously, if a company's thing is nail polish, you'd think they'd at least do a decent job, but the product is sub par at best.

To Read all 104 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/5/2016 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I'm coming out of a long hiatus from reviewing because I bought quite a few of these polishes and found out how terrible they are. The colors are wonderful. Pick anything on the visible spectrum of colors we know, and Julep has it. That's the only good thing about it.

It never really dries completely, and you have to use 3 or 4 coats to get coverage. So if you do it with base and top coats, you've got about 5 coats, and if you layer colors one on top of another, or use one of their "transformers," it's even more coats. I could deal with that if it would last more than a few hours. It mostly comes off in large sheets-- little ovals that flake off at the least bit of impact. I'm not doing heavy manual labor here. I'm talking I go into the freezer for a couple of ice cubes or to type and it's coming off in sheets. I'm not chopping wood or slopping the hogs here.

The prices are ridiculous, and they play games with sales and bonus items that you can add to your subscription box. One month a set of 4 polishes in a box will be going for $40. The next month you'll see it as a bonus item for $15. The month after that, they'll have it at $50 in a different section of the store. All this kind of pricing does is make me wonder how much I'm being ripped off on other items.

The packaging is insanely wasteful. All the polishes and other items are on one layer on top of a pile of shredded paper packaging in a box I could put three cats in. I'm sure this woman has studied marketing and there is some reason why other women love to get huge boxes with nothing in them. I'm not other women.

You can skip any shipment, but you have to remember to do that. I am at home most of the time and I still forgot once. I can't imagine trying to remember to mess with this between kids and a full time job.

You can't delete your credit card info from their site, or cancel your account on site on your own. You have to email them and tell hem to delete/cancel, and you have to wait for them to get around to it. The fact that I can't remove my own CC info makes me furious.

If you are dying for a particular color of this polish, and for some reason you can make it actually stick to your nails, get the single polish on ebay or some other place. Otherwise avoid this product and the company. I could have overlooked a lot of the irritating things about this polish if it would stay on my nails even for just a couple of days. Better yet, skip it, put a bunch of Sally Hansen and China Glaze in a box, then open it 2 weeks later. You'll be much happier.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I so happen to be a julep Maven and personally enjoy Julep's makeup and skincare products and find that they are excellent in quality and the packaging for them is great to. However unfortunately, none of these ring true to their nail polishes which sadly is what julep is known for which puzzles me... Yes they have a beautiful and fun variety of colors which is what reels you in. But when it comes to the polish formula itself it is really really crappy, streaky, patchy, sheer and just runny. It won't dry for crap and will smudge easily. Even when using their basecoat and white base polish on some that recommend to do so. I honestly haven't tried one julep polish that I haven't been disappointed with and it's almost so sad because I love the colors so much but the quality and application just don't cut it. Especially for the price!! I'm surprised that for being such an expensive nail polish brand they haven't improved their formula. I personally believe that julep should be known for their makeup and skincare that are actually good quality products worth your money but definitely not for their polishes... That's really the only reason why I even stay a maven member is for everything but the polish. So bottom line I wouldn't recommend these nail polishes. Just get something cheaper, chances are they will work much better and save you a heck of alot of money. Sorry julep! but your polish really needs some improvements or some price cuts to go with that formula if it's not gonna be changed.

on 4/30/2016 10:24:00 AM

I was actually exicited to write this review because I have never used such a bad nailpolish before and I want to save people from having to be disapointed. It came in a trial lux box from amazon, so it's not the cost. The polish is so thin it drips despite wiping the tip of the brush. This also leads to uneven coverage on the nail as it pools away from the cuticle end or the tip end, depending on how you have your hand positioned. Definitely multiple coats needed. It takes forever to dry. And it chips within hours of drying. Who cares about the colors and nice bottles if the product is so deficient? Back to Sally Hansen.

on 4/18/2016 7:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have about 5 of these nail polishes, love the design , they're so cute and I adore the colors. I find the nail polish to be very pigmented, which is a good thing, I would only need 1 coat when I do my nails. The major downside is that these polishes chip after just 1 day :( I had 2-3 fingers that needed to be retouched the next day. It is really a waste of time and effort doing my nails, admiring them , and have them chip the next day. I will be throwing them out even though all of them are mostly full, and 2 of them are brand new. It's just not worth it.

on 12/29/2015 1:06:00 AM

I subscribed to Julep a couple years ago. I unsubscribed because I found the I never quite liked everything in the box. I thought I would just spend the money once a month on one really amazing nail polish of my choice down at the local Sephora. On my monthly, more like weekly, visit down to my own personal Mecca; I saw Julep was now being sold at Sephora. I gagged a little and looked down on Sephora. I thought Sephora was going up in the world and starting to cast out the peasant makeup brands that wore their hair in pony tails twice a week or tried to sit with Sephora and Hautelook at the same time. YOU CAN'T SIT HERE JULEP! I digress...

PROS:
- The bottle is cute... small but cute...
- Two colours, out of like 18, were unique. I gave away the other 16 bottles to two friends. One liked the nail polish and the other, a mean girl like myself, hated them. I was just checking their site though and I like some colour options; so many cantaloupes...

CONS:
- I hated the formulation. I had similar distaste for this that I have for Essie. This nail polish does not dry on my fingers and applies quite streaky (in general, I did keep 2 of 18).
- I HATE the applicator. For the price you would think it would be a little better. It literally is like the nail polish wand on kids play makeup.. thin... plastic... It sticks together... its just bad.
- The nail polish is hella expensive!
- The bottle makes for a mess for the accident prone.

Bad applicator, bad formulation for me equals no go.

on 12/23/2015 12:18:00 AM

I have quite a few Julep polishes due to being a maven for about a year. There are some pretty colors, few are unique. Most are easy to dupe. The Polish cost is very high, ounce for ounce one of the most expensive brands at retail. I like the bottle design aesthetics, but you are paying as much or more than other brands for a bottle that us 50% of the size. On top of that the quality is abysmal. I have colors that never DRY (Even under seche vite!), colors that were too gloopy to apply smoothly even when new. I have had bottles and make up items fthat literally spoiled and began to grow something *eww*. If you want excellent 5-free polish check out Zoya. If you want creative look for some indie brands. Quality wise almost any polish at the drugstore is better. Essie = better. OPI = Better etc. Also, while I never had a billing issue with Julep it is worth noting that they have an F rating with the BBB.

Julep polishes have always disappointed me even more than standard drug store nail polishes. If I'm going to pay more for polish, I expect better results AND/OR that they will last longer. Julep does not offer any incentives, colors, or other qualities to their polishes that justifies paying more than drugstore prices; if anything, at least drugstore polishes contain a lot more polish! I'd rather have 10oz of usable Revlon than 2oz usable Julep!

on 9/30/2015 6:11:00 PM

I got its wedding box for free (with 3 nail polishes and 1 lip gloss inside). The design of the nail polish is very cute. However, long bottle seems not working for nail polish as the liquid keeps dropping off from the tube. I cleaned my fingers and table a few times when doing my both hands. Colour-wise, the blue colour one is fine. But the pink and white failed to meet my expectation, I put 3 coatings on to get the stated colour. One more thing, these nail polishes take forever to dry and got damaged easily (I guess that's because of the thick coatings). Anyway, they are FREE (just costs me $3 on shipping). So, there's nothing to regret.

Popular Polishes