By Terry Sheer Expert

By Terry Sheer Expert

4.3

AQUA/ WATER, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, DIMETHICONE, DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, PROPYLENE GLYCOL DICAPRYLATE/DICAPRATE, GLYCERIN, PEG/PPG-18/18 DIMETHICONE, TRISODIUM CITRATE, TOCOPHEROL, PHENOXYETHANOL, DEXTRIN PALMITATE, MICA, PARFUM / FRAGRANCE, HEXYL CINNAMAL, LINALOOL, LIMONENE, BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL, BENZYL SALICYLATE, HYDROXYCITRONELLAL, HYDROXYISOHEXYL 3-CYCLOHEXENE CARBOXALDEHYDE, ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE, GERANIOL, EUGENOL, CITRONELLOL, COUMARIN, CYCLOHEXASILOXANE, CYCLOTETRASILOXANE, BORON NITRIDE, ALUMINA, METHYLPARABEN, TETRASODIUM EDTA, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE, POLYMETHYL METHACRYLATE, DEHYDROACETIC ACID, DISODIUM STEAROYL GLUTAMATE, TALC, LAUROYL LYSINE, SILICA, PALMITIC ACID, ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE, PHOENIX DACTYLIFERA (DATE) SEED EXTRACT, SILICA DIMETHYL SILYLATE, BRASSICA CAMPESTRIS (RAPESEED) STEROLS, PROLINAMIDOETHYL IMIDAZOLE, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, SODIUM HYALURONATE, BORON OXIDE, HEXYLENE GLYCOL, SODIUM METHYLPARABEN, +/- [CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE, CI 77492 / IRON OXIDES, CI 77491 / IRON OXIDES, CI 77499 / IRON OXIDES].

on 4/28/2016 11:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I am so darn old that I no longer not want to look as if I have flawless skin. Imperfections, some wrinkles and some sun spots are what I have earned, I do not want coverage that leaves me old-glamorous and perfect, but I do look for an undetectable foundation that has improved me to some degree.Older women who look untouched by time always seem to me to be advertising their make-up. You know the look.

By Terry's Sheer Expert is a recent discovery that I hestitated over, as it is expensive, and the name made me wonder if it was going to do anything at all. It does, believe me. It produces, for me, exactly what I was looking for, that famous no-make-up foundation look that evens skin tone, covers blotches, does not settle in wrinkles, and is neither mat nor dewy. It also lasts, giving you sheer/medium coverage that does not change, at least on my dry skin. I also am a fan of Chantecaille Future Skin, but this gem is in a tube, portable, buildable, wonderful. I recommend it highly; it is pricey but worth it.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I had this recommended to me after I was speaking to the Mecca consultant about issues I had with foundations showing dry patches. I like MAC Face and Body, which is great for dry skin, but I find the finish can leave my skin looking a bit dull (I'm a C3), and otherwise I use BB creams because the emolliency works really nicely on my dryish skin.

The consultant recommended this foundation to me and the colour was perfect (#9 Honey Beige) and the finish was really lovely. I'd say it's a satin finish and doesn't feel like you've got anything on. It's a bit pricey, but I'm happy to invest in good bases if it makes my skin look amazing. Does have a slight lingering smell to it which is hard to describe, it's not perfume but something else. The coverage is fairly sheer, which was fine for me because I don't have too much to cover. Ultimately I'm just after something that evens out the skin tone and makes it look healthy; anything else I just cover with concealer.

After using this foundation for a while, I found it was great when my skin was behaving, but when my skin got a bit dry and flakey the foundation really highlighted it. Eventually I stopped using this foundation because of the way it emphasised any dryness in my skin. Shame because it's otherwise a very nice foundation.

To Read all 31 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/12/2016 4:30:00 PM

I bought this once and used the whole tube but was looking forward to it running out and going back to my usual Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua (shade B10, which is perhaps slightly pale for me). I had this in no. 3 Cream Beige and for some reason the first time I had it, I wasn't so keen. It was lighter coverage than I'd hoped, and I found it made me too shiny, rather than dewy, and definitely not velvety/powdery as other reviewers have commented. The colour match was great, however, and it feels lovely on the face, not heavy at all and kind of smooth?

ANYWAY, for some reason I was still searching for my perfect foundation (even though there was nothing really wrong with Chanel one) and a year later I decided to try this one again - whenever I looked at photos from the time I was using this my skin looked great. The first time round, it was the moisturiser (Embyrollisse) I was using was that was contributing to the shine I wasn't keen on, and I had the wrong shade of concealer at the time also. (Moved from NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer from Chantilly (too white/ashy) to Vanilla).

Basically, with a bit of good concealer and good moisturiser this really is a beautiful foundation. I really want to try it with a blurring/longevity improving primer too (thinking of the YSL one) as I think it could look literally flawless. Saying that, one of the best things about this foundation is the way it sort of melts off/into the skin-- it doesnt separate or group or oxidise, it elegantly fades!

I think it is kind of comparable to Charlotte Tilbury's Light Wonder, but this is less full on shiny, wears for longer, and has slightly more coverage -- to me a slightly more refined version.

TL; DR: This is a beautiful foundation, I would describe the finish as satin-y/ dewy, with a light to medium coverage. Also, I really have not noticed the smell other reviewers have mentioned!

on 9/23/2015 9:17:00 AM

The most amazing foundation known to man lol. This is truly invisible, it's AMAZING. I use shade 3 and it blends in to be a perfect match. It's very light and seems concentrated in some way, so a tiny tiny bit goes a very long way. Yes, it's expensive as hell, but because it's perfection who can argue about price?

The only downfall? I wish they had packaged this in a different type of tube or even a bottle. Also, like all by Terry face products, the smell. Ewww. But it dissipates quickly so I can live with it to have absolutely perfect skin. I will repurchase this forever. Holy Grail.

This is fluid, lightweight foundation provides a beautiful finish - it made my skin look smoother and more healthy (but without shimmer or an oily "dewy" look). It provides light coverage, closer to a tinted moisturizer in my opinion, but can be built up to be almost medium coverage. The scent, however, is so strong, as the other reviewers noted, that I could not put this on my face on a daily basis. I'm glad I tried a sample because I would not want to purchase this.

on 12/11/2014 2:58:00 PM

I adore by Terry brand and I wanted to have a foundation from it. I have chosen Sheer-Expert one over Cover-Expert because Sheer-Expert was more dewy I found so I have bought #2 Neutral Beige. First of all that smell... I mean after paying that much of money you would like to have something smelling at least normal, but NO! I hate its smell. Secondly, even if feels like dewy feeling during application it is getting powdery after a while but I must say it gives a nice velvety finish. I have realized that my ex HG foundation YSL touche eclat foundation is coming out whenever I am touching to my face. With this one it didnt happen obviously so I am quite satisfied.
Pros:
- Dewy & velvety texture
- Feels like a skin
- Decent coverage
- Photographs beautifully
- Color range is ok (at least I found my color easily)

Cons:
- That horrible smell
-F*cking expensive
-Getting a bit powdery/velvety-so I am not sure if dry skins would like it
- It has a cheap, annoying package. Always droping to its lid

I think I would like to try other high end foundations after finishing. If I cannot find better one or at least similar, than I would like to go back...

on 9/15/2014 5:50:00 PM

Lovely sheer coverage and light moisture. I purchased this in #5 peach beige which is a great match for my skin. Unfortunately, I can't get past the strong smell that By Terry uses in all their products and will have to return it.

on 3/15/2014 10:06:00 AM

I wanted to love this foundation so much. One good thing is that the colour match is great, which can be difficult to find for my very pale, pinkish toned skin. However, I feel like it doesn't spread on my skin very easily, and can look very patchy pretty easily. I also feel like it just sits on top of it, and turns sort of dry and powdery rather quickly, so my skin feels tight and uncomfortable. The Cover Expert might be better, maybe looks less patchy due to more coverage, but they are expensive so I'm not willing to experiment and find out!

on 10/19/2013 10:22:00 AM

Wow - this was a nice surprise! The sample I had was lying around for a few weeks, because I thought it would anyway be too sheer for me and my ruddy skin. But hey, I have to say - it evens out my uneven, reddish skin perfectly fine, and it looked very natural. I also liked the consistency - a bit gel-like, very moisturizing and luxurious on the skin. It might feel a bit too moisturizing in summer, but it would be a great pampering foundation for all other seasons. Shade no. 8 was the perfect match for me too, so I already miss it a bit, now that my sample is used up. That doesn´t happen too often! Now I would be really curious to try other products (and of course the Cover Expert foundation) by this brand, and I´m thinking about purchasing.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

LOVE LOVE LOVE this foundation - this is becoming the foundation that I reach out more for and that's because of the amazing result you see throughout the day. It looked like my skin but better, meaning it look very natural without a full makeup look. Lasted pretty well throughout the day, it gives you a natural glow (not the oily kinda glow) and I usually just need to blot once after 5 hours or so and it can last me until I get home from work. Coverage is buildable (yes it still look very natural even after you build it), and it has a wonderful scent. There's a minor down side to it which makes me take 1 lippie of price & packaging.This is quite pricey to me and I got it when there was a promo. I probably won't repurchase it at full price but that doesn't mean I don't love it (I'm already looking out for deals), I just got plenty of base product to use. And be careful about the packaging - the lid was designed poorly so it doesn't stop the foundation from coming out. If I put the lid at the bottom, the next time I open the tube I'll find a good amount of product leaked into the lid. I hope they would fix this problem with the newer batches.