Mysore Sandal Soap

Mysore Sandal Soap

2.3

I love the smell of sandalwood, and based on the reviews on Amazon.com, I decided to order a case of this soap. I have used it several times now.

This soap does not smell quite like the old Mysore sandalwood of decades ago before the collapse of Mysore sandalwood oil thanks to over harvesting of the trees, but it does have a nice fragrance nonetheless. In the bath, the fragrance of the soap is fairly strong. The soap is hard and does not melt excessively. It lathers up very well into a rich, creamy, fragrant lather, and the overall experience of bathing with it is quite pleasant and enjoyable. I have oily skin and was quite pleased to find that it cuts through my skin's excessive oil and leaves me feeling quite clean and refreshed.

The soap does scent my skin albeit lightly. After an hour or two post bath, I can no longer smell it on my skin. I plan to order the Mysore Sandal body powder now to pair it up with the soap. This soap makes for a very pleasant before bedtime bathing experience. I think it has a very unisex fragrance.

I awarded this soap four lippies, but I would have awarded it three and a half if I the site allowed it. Since the fragrance does not linger on my skin for an exceptionally long time, I find that I can use almost any fragrance after using this soap. It pairs especially nicely with a sandalwood-centric fragrance. In fact, I bought it specifically to pair it with Samsara, but it works well with many other fragrances, too.

The price is not really unreasonable for a 12 count case of the soap on Amazon, and the quality is good. Overall, I recommend this soap if you like sandalwood. Just do not expect it to smell exactly like pre 1960s sandalwood fragranced products, and do not expect the scent to linger on your skin for too very long. The best part of this soap is the act of bathing with it. It makes for a very pleasing bathing experience. I certainly would purchase it again once I run out of my current supply. I think it is at least worth a try. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

Unfortunately, this soap broke me out (white head rash). I found that it was quite harsh, drying and even a good moisturiser after couldn't rebalance my skins PH after using this.

The fragrance is highly aromatic (incense) which is okay, but I'm not a massive fan to be honest. It's just too strong for me.

On the other hand, it does work fine as a general bathing soap. I can see it helping with body blemishes/acne/bumps.

I will continue to use it up in my body, but I wouldn't run to repurchase. I'm glad it was quite cheap.

Hoping you have better results!

To Read all 3 Reviews, Login or Join

Mysore Sandal. You had me at that, and for $1.19 at an Indian mini-mart, I thought I'd try you.

It smells like sandalwood. The kind we want but aren't going to be getting much of. That is, until you remove the plastic wrapping off the soap.

Out pours this petroleum smell. The texture of the soap film on your skin is oily, and it turns the water milky. Who wants to luxuriate in an oil spill? Not me. Disgusting.