Mysore Sandal Soap

Mysore Sandal Soap

3.0

on 1/27/2017 5:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Amazing, amazing facial cleanser! HAVE bought this soap again. Like 3 more bars. I found this at a local Indian grocery store and kept it in my lingerie drawer, in its box, for a good 5 years, before ever using it (the scent is so beautiful and alluring!). It's hands down the best facial soap, and one of the best facial cleansers I've used (I'm talking, on level with Murad's acne cleanser, Alba Botanical Acnedote, Cosmedix Purity; I can't even use stuff like Clean n Clear or Neutrogena washes as the cleansing agents or whatever else is in there gives me dried out skin and/or blemishes). I remove my makeup with a hot oil pull (oil, smoothed around on dry made up skin, removed with a hot damp washcloth, move right into cleansing phase) and then follow with this soap on clean hands; I massage it onto my face, and I swirl my Olay cleansing brush into the bar of soap for a sec before using it on my face for around 1-2 min (2 min is always too long but I'm a nut so I can't stop xD). I take fish oil supplements; I use a retinol; and I use moisturizer morning and night, and an SPF moisturizer during the day, and I do not use any acne gel products nor benzo peroxide since starting on this soap about 4 months ago. Legit an HG product. I use a face scrub from Queen Helene about every day or every other day, depending on what my skin needs, but I swear fo' GAWD, my skin has never been brighter and is completely free of cystic acne and when I'm consistent, it's also free of blemishes, period (blackheads are a m**********r and will always exist but that's just the chips that have fallen). You know how some people's skin, especially if they are very very fair, can seem almost cloudy in color, or uneven in color, even if they don't have redness or blemishes per se? Well, I feel like this soap somehow strengthens my ...melanin? My skin color vibrancy? I have no clue how to describe this phenomenon, because it's never occurred for me prior to using this soap, but it's as if, my skin's color is stronger, while still being fair AF/pale (I use an SPF 30-55). It just looks like the color and tone are more "themselves", and I can only recognize this because when I use other cleansers, thinking they will perform the same, they don't, and my skin tone seems weaker, or uneven, or just...blah. Like dull, but that's not quite it. My point is, this stuff is amazing. I'm a nut and when I find an HG, I look around for other HG's to compare or to move onto (IF ITS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!! Haha) so I try and use other cleansers and other soaps - I bought a few from the same grocery store - but none work for me as well as this one. At about $2 for about a 3.5 oz bar, seriously, it's a godsend.

I love the smell of sandalwood, and based on the reviews on Amazon.com, I decided to order a case of this soap. I have used it several times now.

This soap does not smell quite like the old Mysore sandalwood of decades ago before the collapse of Mysore sandalwood oil thanks to over harvesting of the trees, but it does have a nice fragrance nonetheless. In the bath, the fragrance of the soap is fairly strong. The soap is hard and does not melt excessively. It lathers up very well into a rich, creamy, fragrant lather, and the overall experience of bathing with it is quite pleasant and enjoyable. I have oily skin and was quite pleased to find that it cuts through my skin's excessive oil and leaves me feeling quite clean and refreshed.

The soap does scent my skin albeit lightly. After an hour or two post bath, I can no longer smell it on my skin. I plan to order the Mysore Sandal body powder now to pair it up with the soap. This soap makes for a very pleasant before bedtime bathing experience. I think it has a very unisex fragrance.

I awarded this soap four lippies, but I would have awarded it three and a half if I the site allowed it. Since the fragrance does not linger on my skin for an exceptionally long time, I find that I can use almost any fragrance after using this soap. It pairs especially nicely with a sandalwood-centric fragrance. In fact, I bought it specifically to pair it with Samsara, but it works well with many other fragrances, too.

The price is not really unreasonable for a 12 count case of the soap on Amazon, and the quality is good. Overall, I recommend this soap if you like sandalwood. Just do not expect it to smell exactly like pre 1960s sandalwood fragranced products, and do not expect the scent to linger on your skin for too very long. The best part of this soap is the act of bathing with it. It makes for a very pleasing bathing experience. I certainly would purchase it again once I run out of my current supply. I think it is at least worth a try. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

Unfortunately, this soap broke me out (white head rash). I found that it was quite harsh, drying and even a good moisturiser after couldn't rebalance my skins PH after using this.

The fragrance is highly aromatic (incense) which is okay, but I'm not a massive fan to be honest. It's just too strong for me.

On the other hand, it does work fine as a general bathing soap. I can see it helping with body blemishes/acne/bumps.

I will continue to use it up in my body, but I wouldn't run to repurchase. I'm glad it was quite cheap.

Hoping you have better results!

Mysore Sandal. You had me at that, and for $1.19 at an Indian mini-mart, I thought I'd try you.

It smells like sandalwood. The kind we want but aren't going to be getting much of. That is, until you remove the plastic wrapping off the soap.

Out pours this petroleum smell. The texture of the soap film on your skin is oily, and it turns the water milky. Who wants to luxuriate in an oil spill? Not me. Disgusting.