Lancome Color Design 5 Shadow & Liner Palette

Lancome Color Design 5 Shadow & Liner Palette

1 review

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I got this in Bronze Amour which is a warm peachy gold set of shimmery colours. That is the set that is in the picture for these reviews. The colours are VERY similar to Estee Lauders Fiery Saffron set which I also have and love, but the Lancome set is darker in colouring and more shimmery. Both in the peachy golden neutrals.

Neutral with shimmer and sheen is how I'd describe it. Warm tones. I'd buy it again easily, it's a light travel friendly collection of neutrals that can be daytime to smoky night time as required.

All the colours in the set are useful, but be forewarned, they ALL have fallout.

This set should be applied with a shield under the eye, I used a folded tissue to catch the fallout as I applied it and as I blended the shades. The worst fallout is the liner which is a lovely rich chocolate brown. That crumbles all over my under eye, but then it STICKS.

Which leads me to the greatest points of these shadows. Really rich colour payoff, and the colour lasts all day and into the evening. Really the fallout is because these are so soft and buttery that when you pick them up on any applicator and I tried sponge tips as well as brushes both wet and dry and it ALL had fallout.

The other way to protect the rest of your face is to apply the full eye makeup first, then use day creams to wipe off the fallout and apply the rest of your makeup but that isn't how I tend to work, so just fold up a kleenex tissue and protect the rest of your makeup if you already like your makeup routine the way it is.

As for all that shimmer and glow, the 2 darkest shadows have sparkle in the pan but go on matte, and as for the lightest 3, they just glow and light up the eye area. They don't collect in the wrinkles (and they don't crease either). Coverage is superb, colours are rich and last from early morning to late at night.

Here are the colours:

top: Peachy golden sheen used for an all over wash. This is incredibly pretty on the eye area and doesn't make my aging wrinkly lids go all lizardy like some shiny shadows. This and the gold in the middle right are so gorgeous that I'm willing to deal with fallout and the expense of buying this again!!!

centre left: Copper. It looks gold but don't be fooled, this is a flat out cinnamon and it does have some red tones. This is the one shade that I have to be careful how I place it or I get that red eye look. But it is the most gorgeous cinnamon shade.

center: A soft mid tone beigey almost brown. This one is a contour shade, and it's a matte. Very pretty with the other shades. Blends out ok, but a slight tendency to stick and hold where it's planted so apply lightly and build up.

centre right: Pure Gold. Love this one the most. it's supposedly the highlight, but I also used it as a lid shade. Shimmery metallic sheen and a true gold. Extremely pretty. This and the top shade were my favourites.

bottom: Chocolate Brown liner shade. In the pan, it has sparkles but they don't show up on the eye line. My least fave. It crumbles and falls out badly. I had to apply it with the shield, onto a sticky pencil liner and quickly apply mascara to keep this glued in place, but once in place it's a lovely lush rich brown liner. Used on it's own without a sticky pencil line to glue it in place, it migrates into that fine panda circle look that is so attractive NOT!

I bought this on a whim on a recent 2 week cruise. The weather was hot and occasionally humid which makes shimmer act like little knives on my skin but this didn't do anything. I used it every day for over 2 weeks now, and it's been great apart from the initial fallout on application. Once it's on, and the excess has been brushed away, it stays on, no creasing, no migrations.

No perfume I can sense, and no sensitivity that I was troubled with. I am allergic and sensitive with red rimmed lids, easily irritated. This set was fine.

The case is light and sturdy, which I love for ease of travel. Smaller and lighter but equally sturdy to my similar Estee Lauder Fiery Saffron set. In comparison with that, it's more shimmery and the colours are stronger but staying power and coverage are equal. I'd reach for this for an all in one package for travelling any time as long as I have my Clinique cream pencil eyeliner to keep that liner powder in place!

Comes with foam applicators which can be a handy way to apply shadow in a packing method, then use a brush to blend but I prefer my brushes for accuracy and these shadows have lots of payoff so the foam pack technique might be loading to much on the eyelid, not to mention increasing the fallout which is already way worse than normal eyeshadows from MAC, Clinique, Estee Lauder or Elizabeth Arden in high end, NYX or Maybelline in low end which are the brands I compare this set to.

edited to add, I got a gwp in Taupe Craze, I've written a separate review under that name. It's a cool toned set, much less fallout, too cool toned for me, very taupey grey with a purply undertone but very nice. I wouldn't buy it, it's way too cool toned but for most people the Taupe Craze might be a better buy if you want a set of neutrals you can travel with.