Lancome Color Design 5 Shadow & Liner Palette

Filtered by age: 36-43
Lancome Color Design 5 Shadow & Liner Palette

3.7

on 5/4/2014 6:14:00 PM

This review is for the #109 French Nude version of this palette that came out in Spring 2014. I wanted to give it a three because the concept is great and the colors are beautiful. An all in one palette with everything you need for application that can create a complete eye look--and colors that create a simple yet elegant and beautiful nude eye. (I was also a little taken in by the name). Unfortunately I couldn't give it three because of the poor longevity of wear and high price tag.
The staying power of this expensive palette was almost non-existent for me. I don't normally have problems with creasing or fading (I don't have oily lids) and often don't wear primer with my shadows, which range from budget drugstore to higher end brands. This palette was a different story. It lasted two or three hours at the most and then disappeared completely. I wore it once and decided to return it but then waited too long and ended up keeping it. I wore it a second time, and the same thing happened. Then yesterday I tried it over TFSI because primers make even the most transient shadows stay vibrant 'til I remove them. Not the case here. I looked in the mirror after about four hours to see that only the base shadow (a Bobbi Brown Ivory) I had applied underneath was still there. Otherwise it was as if I had no shadow on at all. Even the liner color, a beautiful dark espresso, disappeared altogether. (It's notable that when I wear this without a primer the liner color smears and gets under my eyes, which is even worse!)
The $50 price tag of this palette makes its lower quality unacceptable, imho. At that price, even a nice little mini brush thrown in with the sponge applicators would be a small consolation. But the included applicators are much cheaper than some of my drugstore palettes. I'll keep trying different primers with this (UDPP, NYX, and Sonia Kashuk) because it otherwise makes a great emergency kit to throw in the purse for travel or getting ready on the go.

At $54 Canadian, this was not an impulse buy. I was immediately attracted to Bronze Amour and walked around with it on the back of my hand more than a few times at the store, admiring just how coppery the copper was and how glittery the gold was, before actually paying the big money and taking the plunge.

Took the plunge and being a pessimist, was sure that I'd be kicking myself. Mais non! The powders were easy to apply, easy to blend, and had staying power. The colour on the furthest right (the highlighter) had glitter fallout unless I applied it on skin that was slightly damp, but that posed no problems. Even the two little brushes that come with the set surprised me as being incredibly functional.

EDIT: After using this for over a year, I still like it but.........have to admit that ALL FIVE SHADES do contain glitter, and all five shades are creating some fallout onto cheek. How do I know.........did a five-day experiment during which I only used one shade per day. I love the glittery look of the shades, but just wish that it would stay above my eyes, instead of finding it on my cheeks a few hours after applying.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I got this in Rose Bijou (in the Limited Edition Swarovski Crystal compact). These colors are silky, shimmery and very, very blendable. It looks like I had my eyes professionally done when I use this! The liner part is nice and pigmented. Shadow stays put all day, no creases. I love Lancome shadows and realized I never reviewed any so since I picked this palette up recently I thought I would add this review!