Makeup Geek Eyeshadow (All)

Makeup Geek  Eyeshadow (All)

3.7

Ingredients: Mica, Isoeicosane, Polyisobutene May Contain: Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Boron Nitride, Kaolin, Polyethylene, PTFE, Nylon-12, Magnesium Stearate, Zinc Oxide, Silica, Synthetic Wax, Lauroyl Lysine, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Methicone, Dimethicone, Iron Oxides CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, Chromium Hydroxide Green CI 77289, Ultramarines CI 77007, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Bismuth Oxychloride CI 77163, Manganese Violet CI 77742dc Black No. 2 CI 77266, C13-16 Isoparaffin, C12-C14 Isoparaffin, C13-C15 Alkane, Carmine CI 75470, Chromium Oxide Greens CI 77288, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide CI 77510, Ferric Ferrocyanide CI 77510, Blue 1 Lake CI 42090, Yellow 5 Lake CI 19140, Red 6 Lake CI 15850, Tin Oxide, Zinc Stearate

on 11/10/2017 12:34:00 PM

I don’t get all the hype around Makeup Geek eyeshadows. When swatched I don’t find them very pigmented. And when placed on the eyes they are nothing special. I find Lorac shadows to be more pigmented and easy to blend. I guess I was duped into thinking these were good quality and I should have checked here first - lesson learned. These shadows are not very “wowing” in my opinion and expected more from them.

on 11/1/2017 7:34:00 PM

I really can't understand all the negative reviews on these shadows! I find them brilliant quality, they blend really well and last all day on me. Much prefer them to my MAC ones which fade and vanish into each other. I keep mine in their travel vault palette which is amazing and expensive looking with a nice sized mirror on it.

on 8/11/2017 9:13:00 AM

Last year about this time I had one eye shadow and I would only wear on special occasions. My daily look was a black or brown (sometimes gray) eyeliner. For some reason I decided to go ape on eye shadows and have since then accumulated quite a few single shadows and 7 palettes. One thing that was missing was matte shadows, and that is where I turned to Makeup Geek.

I initially started with three shadows, but I have picked up a few more since....

Shimma Shimma - Nice champagne color, I use all over the lid but is used as a browbone or inner color highlight
Peach Smoothie - I like this one but it's light, I use primarily as a transition shade but might try all over the lid
Creme Brulee - A favorite of mine, nice light to medium brown option, can be used for transition/crease or on the lid
Frappe - Nice warm medium brown shade, I use for outer corner/crease.
Cocoa Bear - darker brown with hints of red, nice warm shade
Goddess - coppery shade, use for outer corner (note - this one appears to be discontinued)
Lucky Penny - rosey taupe shade, can be used for lid or in outer corner/crease
Burlesque - dark wine/burgundy shade, nice for outer corner

My definite favorites are Peach Smoothie, Creme Brulee, Frappe, Lucky Penny and Burlesque, I totally would buy these again. I Shimma Shimma, Cocoa Bear and Goddess are nice too. Overall, I am very pleased with the shades that I picked out and have made myself a nice little palette. Will I pick up more? Maybe, but I honestly think I am set with these for now. I sort of have my eyes on Bake Sale though, but it appears to be quite similar to Creme Brulee. I do want to pick up another Lucky Penny at some point, that is my favorite one I think.

A side note, I also have the travel vault from MUG which I put my small collection of shadows in. I really like this palette, it's very sleek and it has a mirror too. It's around $13 which might be a little pricey but it's excellent quality and quite sturdy. I would purchase another one of these over the small Z palette any day.

Again, not an eyeshadow expert whatsoever but I do like these shadows I have more shadows from ColourPop but honestly I like both brands. I haven't tried MAC, but most likely won't as they aren't CF. I have heard nice things about ABH but that's a little out of my price range.

As I age, I find that I really need to get more matte eye shadows as they are more appropriate for my eye and frankly more flattering. I find these are really nice shadows and would not hesitate to try more colors. Also I find that all I need is a lid color, transition/crease color and maybe outer corner color and I am set. Some days I just use one color all over the lid, I can't seem to get enough shades for that reason.

I give these 5 stars! One final comment, on placing my last order with MUG there was a little glitch with my order and it didn't go through. I contacted customer service and they were extremely responsive and helpful. I really appreciated that.

on 10/20/2017 8:59:00 PM

It took me a long time to put my finger on what exactly I disliked so much about these shadows and why I wasn't reaching for them as much as my MAC shadows...

I got:
Cherry Cola
Cocoa Bear
Creme Brulee
Peach Smoothie
Cabin Fever
Tan Lines
Americano

First off, let me say that the shipping is a joke. It took forever to get my order - and apparently when you choose standard shipping on MUG, it usually will take that long to process/ship. Like, it took up to a week to process, then the shipping was the slowest method ever.

The next shipping option up was over $10, which would have taken 2-6 business days.... for a few eyeshadows? Ummm, no way.

Barring that, the eyeshadows themselves were a mess. Muddy is the word, now that I have been reading the reviews. They blend away, look dirty, clashed, unpolished, patchy, etc. Americano was the worst. It looks strong in the pan, but it blends away to a much sheerer, dulled out brown. Could NOT be applied wet as a liner. Looked greyish and dull. No depth.

I am a woman who works long hours and don't have loads of time in the morning to futz with fussy eyeshadows with poor application. I ended up purging (see: throwing away) all of these MUG shadows and hauling a few MAC neutrals during a 15% off sale and I love them so much more - and now moreso that they're priced the same as MUG. After Embark, I will never go back to Americano! I would NOT recommend MUG to women of color because the pigments will look dull and bland against those richer skintones.

I too was suckered in by the #influencersforprofit on YouTube and really should have known better, these so called Makeup Artists would sell their Grannies souls for a buck.

These eyeshadows are rubbish. They leave a muddy mess or fade away to nothing on your eyelids.

If you want to know what a real review is, come to Makeup Alley (not YouTube) and go through all the reviews and if the majority are negative, they are the reviews of every day people who work hard for a living who have been conned out of their hard earned money and you can bet any positive review is a paid one or placed by the company and it's employees. It is hard to find honest and integrity in the beauty world these days but they are out there.

Makeup Geek is nothing more than a generic brand that has been labelled. Always check the ingredients list and then go look at other cheap brands like Morphe, BH Cosmetics etc, if the ingredients are mostly the same then they are cheap made in China rubbish that I wouldn't even let my kids near.

Educate yourself and save up and buy quality palettes, it is better to just have one of quality that is going to blow your friends away with how good you look than leave them wandering if you went to a Mud wrestling contest before you came out to meet them.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

All around great eyeshadows, would highly recommend to makeup artists. They get expensive when you factor in buying a z palette and filling it, but keep in mind that these are full size eyeshadows and most eyeshadow palettes have pans that contain 1/3 of a full size. That being said, if you're a casual user and you're looking to save money, I would recommend only buying these shadows in the shades that you know you'll use often, so matte shades or fave shimmers. I have 15 different pans and the only one I've hit pan on is my fave crease shade, creme brulee, and I've had that shadow for over two years.
I also have some foiled shadows, which I love despite their flaws. Those flaws being that they are hard to use a brush with, shatter easily, and will crease if you don't use the right base. I still love the finish and use them all the time.
These shadows are cruelty-free and made in the USA, like all MUG products, and I much prefer them over MAC eyeshadows (which are the same price now).

on 12/16/2016 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I have only tried the foiled eyeshadows in the shades Magic Act, In the Spotlight, Grandstand and Mesmerize, all of which are really lovely. Beautiful texture when applied, almost creamy formula. The downside is that these do crease very noticeably on me by the end of the day regardless of what primer I use - I have oily and hooded lids so this is by no means unique to these shadows but still disappointing and they do crease more than most powder formulas. Because of this I mostly use them on the center to inner areas of my lids & the inner corner, where there is less opportunity to crease, but it's still a bummer. They are also a little tricky to apply as they can be prone to fallout (also get a bit crumbly and messy in the pan so can spread pigment to other shadows in the same palette), honestly I feel like they apply best with fingers but that's obviously not ideal. Still they have a really gorgeous effect on the eyes and I do find myself using them often.

They're so good. I can only speak on the mattes because that's all I've tried, but they're amazing. They literally blend for you, and they're very pigmented. I've seen that some people have said they don't last, but I haven't had anything like that happen with me. Also I think it depends on the eyeshadow primer / method used. In my opinion, Urban Decay Primer Potion is not the best primer ever, also you should really set your primer with a powder before you apply the shadow! Anyways. I love the mattes, they're very creamy and soft. Side note: the matte black shadow (Corrupt) is not the most intense black I've ever tried, I prefer UD Blackout, but it's decent!!

on 2/2/2017 12:06:00 PM

I was excited to make custom eyeshadow palette with Makeup Geek, I purchase six colors to start: Motown, blacklight, enchanted forest, curfew, typhoon and steampunk. Beautiful colors, 3 are duo chrome but I have to say these suck! They have no lasting power, one had good pigment and applied nicely, the purple colors I got went on blotchy and weak, the duo chromes steampunk and typhoon had some major fallout. Even though this brand gets raved about, these are the worst eyeshadows I have used, save your money.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

I really like these. I have an extra large z-palette full of makeup geek eyeshadows.
I was a beginner when I started wearing eyeshadow and I learned with these. The ones I recommend and love the most are:
all of the foiled eyeshadows; cocoa bear; white lies; cherry cola; casino; desert sands; corrupt (this is so black); creme brulee; roulette and pretentious. They all have warm tones and are a good place to start with :)
They have the same size as mac and anastasia eyeshadows and fit perfectly into a z palette.
only formulas i like more than these are urban decay and makeup for ever! (never tried viseart)