Makeup Geek Eyeshadow (All)

Makeup Geek  Eyeshadow (All)

3.8

Ingredients: Mica, Isoeicosane, Polyisobutene May Contain: Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Boron Nitride, Kaolin, Polyethylene, PTFE, Nylon-12, Magnesium Stearate, Zinc Oxide, Silica, Synthetic Wax, Lauroyl Lysine, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Methicone, Dimethicone, Iron Oxides CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, Chromium Hydroxide Green CI 77289, Ultramarines CI 77007, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Bismuth Oxychloride CI 77163, Manganese Violet CI 77742dc Black No. 2 CI 77266, C13-16 Isoparaffin, C12-C14 Isoparaffin, C13-C15 Alkane, Carmine CI 75470, Chromium Oxide Greens CI 77288, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide CI 77510, Ferric Ferrocyanide CI 77510, Blue 1 Lake CI 42090, Yellow 5 Lake CI 19140, Red 6 Lake CI 15850, Tin Oxide, Zinc Stearate

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

All around great eyeshadows, would highly recommend to makeup artists. They get expensive when you factor in buying a z palette and filling it, but keep in mind that these are full size eyeshadows and most eyeshadow palettes have pans that contain 1/3 of a full size. That being said, if you're a casual user and you're looking to save money, I would recommend only buying these shadows in the shades that you know you'll use often, so matte shades or fave shimmers. I have 15 different pans and the only one I've hit pan on is my fave crease shade, creme brulee, and I've had that shadow for over two years.
I also have some foiled shadows, which I love despite their flaws. Those flaws being that they are hard to use a brush with, shatter easily, and will crease if you don't use the right base. I still love the finish and use them all the time.
These shadows are cruelty-free and made in the USA, like all MUG products, and I much prefer them over MAC eyeshadows (which are the same price now).

on 2/2/2017 12:06:00 PM

I was excited to make custom eyeshadow palette with Makeup Geek, I purchase six colors to start: Motown, blacklight, enchanted forest, curfew, typhoon and steampunk. Beautiful colors, 3 are duo chrome but I have to say these suck! They have no lasting power, one had good pigment and applied nicely, the purple colors I got went on blotchy and weak, the duo chromes steampunk and typhoon had some major fallout. Even though this brand gets raved about, these are the worst eyeshadows I have used, save your money.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

I really like these. I have an extra large z-palette full of makeup geek eyeshadows.
I was a beginner when I started wearing eyeshadow and I learned with these. The ones I recommend and love the most are:
all of the foiled eyeshadows; cocoa bear; white lies; cherry cola; casino; desert sands; corrupt (this is so black); creme brulee; roulette and pretentious. They all have warm tones and are a good place to start with :)
They have the same size as mac and anastasia eyeshadows and fit perfectly into a z palette.
only formulas i like more than these are urban decay and makeup for ever! (never tried viseart)

They're so good. I can only speak on the mattes because that's all I've tried, but they're amazing. They literally blend for you, and they're very pigmented. I've seen that some people have said they don't last, but I haven't had anything like that happen with me. Also I think it depends on the eyeshadow primer / method used. In my opinion, Urban Decay Primer Potion is not the best primer ever, also you should really set your primer with a powder before you apply the shadow! Anyways. I love the mattes, they're very creamy and soft. Side note: the matte black shadow (Corrupt) is not the most intense black I've ever tried, I prefer UD Blackout, but it's decent!!

on 12/16/2016 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I have only tried the foiled eyeshadows in the shades Magic Act, In the Spotlight, Grandstand and Mesmerize, all of which are really lovely. Beautiful texture when applied, almost creamy formula. The downside is that these do crease very noticeably on me by the end of the day regardless of what primer I use - I have oily and hooded lids so this is by no means unique to these shadows but still disappointing and they do crease more than most powder formulas. Because of this I mostly use them on the center to inner areas of my lids & the inner corner, where there is less opportunity to crease, but it's still a bummer. They are also a little tricky to apply as they can be prone to fallout (also get a bit crumbly and messy in the pan so can spread pigment to other shadows in the same palette), honestly I feel like they apply best with fingers but that's obviously not ideal. Still they have a really gorgeous effect on the eyes and I do find myself using them often.

on 11/25/2016 10:33:00 PM

These simply don't last on me. :(

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

OMG. Hands down my new favorite. I work 13 hour days, this shadow stays put, with all it's vibrancy, the entire time. Sometimes when I get home my husband asks me if I put makeup on at work before I left-nope! I have to use a primer, I find these work best with UDPP. I bought 2 bundles, for a total of 18 eye shadows, & every single one is killer. Mostly mattes, a couple shimmers & 3 foils-they're all amazing. I currently own 2500 eyeshadows, these are at the very top for performance. Beats out MAC by light years-I haven't even bought any MAC in almost 5 years, that company is so awful now. Better than Morphe, Inglot, BH, Coastal, even my beloved UD. Cannot wait to get more!!

on 11/1/2016 5:16:00 PM

I got sucked in by the You tube reviews and how great the eye shadow looked on the person reviewing and applying the product on their eyes. I purchased 12 Make up geek eye shadows, mostly mattes and 1 foil. A total waste of my money! Why? the colors are amazing, especially love the coco bear color. Do they last? NO! I have tried wearing them with and without eye shadow primer. I tried wearing them with urban decay eye primer. No matter how you wear these shadows, the pigment color DOES NOT last. For example, today, at approximately 9 a.m. I applied coco bear, a foil, and latte color eye shadow. Got home today at about 2 p.m. Don't know what color they all are, but they are NOT the color they were when I applied them this morning. The pigment is GONE! This is extremely disappointing. So annoying. I put a small amount of Benefit brow highlighter on today as well. It is still on, and looks like I just put it on. Make up Geek eye shadow pigment stinks. I so wanted to love these and I am extremely disappointed. These eye shadows are a total thumbs down! However, I do LOVE the packaging. The magnets hold fantastic. Overall-----------the packaging and color choices are awesome. Only wish that the color lasted longer than a few hours.

Great value and better than MAC.

on 10/13/2016 10:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Don't make the same mistake I made thinking that all MUG eyeshadows are talc free, because they aren't. I realize many companies use talc in their eyeshadows, but MUG has marketed these as talc and paraben free and not all of them are talc free. READ THE FINE PRINT. Also, if bismuth oxychloride makes you break out or you simply don't want it on your face, pass these up. It's false advertising plain and simple, and what makes it even worse is that Marlena has said in past blogs and videos that she avoids talc because she recently found out she has an allergy to it. So it's bad for you, but ok for your customers??? She even mentions bismuth and talc in an "educational series" she did on YouTube about things in your makeup that might be breaking you out. Thanks for that info, Marlena. You just failed to mention that YOUR products, the ones you claim you spend so much time and effort developing and perfecting, the ones you claim are held to this high standard contain these potential irritants. It makes me question everything that she and her company stand for.
I know that hype often gets in the way of making an informed purchase, but everyone has the right to know what they're putting on their face.

(From a MUG Customer Service Rep in a recent email convo:)
Eyeshadows Containing Bismuth Oxychloride:

Tuscan Sun
Wild West
Vintage
White Lies

This specific information is not found on the website, however if you pull up the ingredients list on the site, at the top in bold letters it states ALL MAKEUP GEEK EYESHADOWS ARE TALC AND PARABEN FREE. Very, very misleading. I sincerely hope this helps someone make an informed decision.