Makeup Geek Eyeshadow (All)

Makeup Geek  Eyeshadow (All)

3.7

Ingredients: Mica, Isoeicosane, Polyisobutene May Contain: Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Boron Nitride, Kaolin, Polyethylene, PTFE, Nylon-12, Magnesium Stearate, Zinc Oxide, Silica, Synthetic Wax, Lauroyl Lysine, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Methicone, Dimethicone, Iron Oxides CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, Chromium Hydroxide Green CI 77289, Ultramarines CI 77007, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Bismuth Oxychloride CI 77163, Manganese Violet CI 77742dc Black No. 2 CI 77266, C13-16 Isoparaffin, C12-C14 Isoparaffin, C13-C15 Alkane, Carmine CI 75470, Chromium Oxide Greens CI 77288, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide CI 77510, Ferric Ferrocyanide CI 77510, Blue 1 Lake CI 42090, Yellow 5 Lake CI 19140, Red 6 Lake CI 15850, Tin Oxide, Zinc Stearate

on 3/19/2018 5:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I've read a ton of reviews on these & there seems to be very opposing opinions out there, so I figured I'd throw mine in.:o) I have been a make-up artist for almost half my life now, and many of those years were spent with MAC. I can honestly say that if you did not like these shadows, it's got to be either A: You unfortunately didn't try the right shades/formulation, or B: You didn't use an eyeshadow primer. I will admit that a few of their shimmery shades don't perform the BEST...but a couple of them that I've tried are great (Lucky Penny is very similar to MAC's Sable...not QUITE the same, but almost.) However, my five star rating is based on their MATTE SHADOWS. They are INCREDIBLE. Especially for the price.

I just use Wet & Wild's Photofocus Eyeshadow Primer (which rivals much more expensive brands & is among the best I've ever used!) and then I use several of the MUG Matte Eyeshadows. I'll list out my two favorite looks that I get tons of compliments on. I do my makeup every morning at about 7:00am, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that these shadows looks JUST AS FRESH and vibrant by 10'ish PM when I wash them off. They blend beautifully & stay very true to color. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE MATTE SHADOWS. Start with these!! (I got the 9 Well Palette and was very impressed by how snugly it holds the shadows in there & looks very high quality.)
Look #1:
Vanilla Bean- under brow
Side Kick- crease
Cocoa Bear- deep crease
Peach Smoothie- lid
Shimma Shimma- inner highlight

*If I want this look to be a bit more dramatic for a special occasion, I'll throw some Bitten in the outer corner/crease.

Look #2:
Vanilla Bean- under brow
Vintage- crease
Aphrodite- deep crease
Sorbet- lid
Shimma Shimma- inner highlight

So there you have it, NINE FABULOUS shadows to get you started and fill up a great looking palette. If you put these on over a good primer, using the proper brushes, there is no way you won't like them. I'm 35 with slightly hooded lids and I am an NW20-NW25 with a C4 powder, to give you an idea of my skin tone.

(Corrupt is a really nice deep black too if you're into using shadow as liner!)

Hope this helps!

on 3/9/2018 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Because I'm such a control freak about everything in my life, I decided to order individual eyeshadows from both MAC and Makeup Geek. I've read so many reviews that stated MUG was far surperior to MAC. Well. I digress! Both MAC and MUG are pretty-much on par with MAC in the lead by a hair for me. But--this is about MUG. I ordered Hipster, Shimma Shimma, Beaches and Cream And Barcelona Beach. All shadows pretty-much neutrals. Hipster was beautiful online and when I received it, it was beautiful as well, a muddy taupe-swampy clay color, it isn't as pigmented as I thought it would be. Nonetheless--it is buildable but not the color I had in mind. Barcelona Beach makes a good overall wash it's not that pigmented. Beaches and Cream gives a nice brightening effect and Shimma Shimma is great! Overall the shadows are fine. I LIKE them. I do not LOVE them. And for the price, they are fine. The packaging is fine. It's all good.

on 1/5/2018 5:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm surprised to see such polar reviews on these eye shadows. I probably have about 15 shades (predominately mattes with a few shimmers/foiled ones) and I really enjoy this formula. I find these so easy to work with. I don't find that they blend away, actually to the contrary, I find that the pigment stays really vibrant on my eye lids throughout the day (NC20 - 25 skin tone), one of the best of any eye shadow formula I've tried (incl. ABH, tarte, juvia's place, KVD, UD, MAC, etc.). I have oily and hooded lids so eye shadow primer is always a must for me so I'm not sure if that makes a key difference with this particular formula moreso than others I use. Most people compare these to MAC and I actually like these better as they're softer, easier to blend IMO, and I've had very little fall out. They're also cruelty free and made in USA.

I don't have an opinion either way on their YouTube founder, but I just know that I like this formula and I'll continue to repurchase. I will say that I agree that shipping is a bit annoying but I always purchase mine during one of their sales throughout the year (~20 - 25% off) and given the per unit price is so affordable, not sure how much I can really complain overall about the cost. Would definitely recommend you check these out if you have specific colours you want but don't want to purchase an entire new palette.

on 12/9/2017 9:47:00 AM

Great quality, good price. Definitely rivals MAC, and all of the other high-end shadows. All shadows come in the professional- pot styles, meaning u would need to have a zpallet or MAC eyeshadow pallet to house them. It comes out much more affordable to build your own pallet, versus buying every pallet that catches your eye. I like to see which new pallets come out, look for the colors that I like and don't have. Makeup Geek had a black Friday special 25%off. I got 3 shadows, used the online coupon, and the shipping was $1.99. I highly recommend MG shadows, quality and affordability, AND... they are made in the USA. :)

on 11/10/2017 12:34:00 PM

I don’t get all the hype around Makeup Geek eyeshadows. When swatched I don’t find them very pigmented. And when placed on the eyes they are nothing special. I find Lorac shadows to be more pigmented and easy to blend. I guess I was duped into thinking these were good quality and I should have checked here first - lesson learned. These shadows are not very “wowing” in my opinion and expected more from them.

on 11/1/2017 7:34:00 PM

I really can't understand all the negative reviews on these shadows! I find them brilliant quality, they blend really well and last all day on me. Much prefer them to my MAC ones which fade and vanish into each other. I keep mine in their travel vault palette which is amazing and expensive looking with a nice sized mirror on it.

on 10/20/2017 8:59:00 PM

It took me a long time to put my finger on what exactly I disliked so much about these shadows and why I wasn't reaching for them as much as my MAC shadows...

I got:
Cherry Cola
Cocoa Bear
Creme Brulee
Peach Smoothie
Cabin Fever
Tan Lines
Americano

First off, let me say that the shipping is a joke. It took forever to get my order - and apparently when you choose standard shipping on MUG, it usually will take that long to process/ship. Like, it took up to a week to process, then the shipping was the slowest method ever.

The next shipping option up was over $10, which would have taken 2-6 business days.... for a few eyeshadows? Ummm, no way.

Barring that, the eyeshadows themselves were a mess. Muddy is the word, now that I have been reading the reviews. They blend away, look dirty, clashed, unpolished, patchy, etc. Americano was the worst. It looks strong in the pan, but it blends away to a much sheerer, dulled out brown. Could NOT be applied wet as a liner. Looked greyish and dull. No depth.

I am a woman who works long hours and don't have loads of time in the morning to futz with fussy eyeshadows with poor application. I ended up purging (see: throwing away) all of these MUG shadows and hauling a few MAC neutrals during a 15% off sale and I love them so much more - and now moreso that they're priced the same as MUG. After Embark, I will never go back to Americano! I would NOT recommend MUG to women of color because the pigments will look dull and bland against those richer skintones.

on 8/11/2017 9:13:00 AM

Last year about this time I had one eye shadow and I would only wear on special occasions. My daily look was a black or brown (sometimes gray) eyeliner. For some reason I decided to go ape on eye shadows and have since then accumulated quite a few single shadows and 7 palettes. One thing that was missing was matte shadows, and that is where I turned to Makeup Geek.

I initially started with three shadows, but I have picked up a few more since....

Shimma Shimma - Nice champagne color, I use all over the lid but is used as a browbone or inner color highlight
Peach Smoothie - very nice peach color, but doesn't really show up on my eyes, will use as a base shade
Creme Brulee - A favorite of mine, nice light to medium brown option, can be used for transition/crease or on the lid **
Frappe - Nice warm medium brown shade, I use for outer corner/crease. **
Cocoa Bear - darker brown with hints of red, nice warm shade
Goddess - coppery shade, use for outer corner (note - this one appears to be discontinued)
Lucky Penny - rosey taupe shade, can be used for lid or in outer corner/crease **
Burlesque - dark wine/burgundy shade, nice for outer corner **
Bake Sale - medium brown, maybe a little less warm, similar to Frappe
Roulette - rosy copper shade, very nice **

My definite favorites are Creme Brulee, Frappe, Lucky Penny, Burlesque and Roulette. I totally would buy these again. The others are nice as well, but will probably not repurchase. Overall, I am very pleased with the shades that I picked out and have made myself a nice little palette. Will I pick up more? I would yes, but am set with these for now.

A side note, I also have the travel vault from MUG which I put my small collection of shadows in. I really like this palette, it's very sleek and it has a mirror too. It's around $13 which might be a little pricey but it's excellent quality and quite sturdy. I would purchase another one of these over the small Z palette any day.

Again, not an eyeshadow expert whatsoever but I do like these shadows I have more shadows from ColourPop but honestly I like both brands. I haven't tried MAC, but most likely won't as they aren't CF. I have heard nice things about ABH but that's a little out of my price range.

As I age, I find that I really need to get more matte eye shadows as they are more appropriate for my eye and frankly more flattering. I find these are really nice shadows and would not hesitate to try more colors. Also I find that all I need is a lid color, transition/crease color and maybe outer corner color and I am set. Some days I just use one color all over the lid, I can't seem to get enough shades for that reason.

I give these 5 stars! One final comment, on placing my last order with MUG there was a little glitch with my order and it didn't go through. I contacted customer service and they were extremely responsive and helpful. I really appreciated that.

I too was suckered in by the #influencersforprofit on YouTube and really should have known better, these so called Makeup Artists would sell their Grannies souls for a buck.

These eyeshadows are rubbish. They leave a muddy mess or fade away to nothing on your eyelids.

If you want to know what a real review is, come to Makeup Alley (not YouTube) and go through all the reviews and if the majority are negative, they are the reviews of every day people who work hard for a living who have been conned out of their hard earned money and you can bet any positive review is a paid one or placed by the company and it's employees. It is hard to find honest and integrity in the beauty world these days but they are out there.

Makeup Geek is nothing more than a generic brand that has been labelled. Always check the ingredients list and then go look at other cheap brands like Morphe, BH Cosmetics etc, if the ingredients are mostly the same then they are cheap made in China rubbish that I wouldn't even let my kids near.

Educate yourself and save up and buy quality palettes, it is better to just have one of quality that is going to blow your friends away with how good you look than leave them wandering if you went to a Mud wrestling contest before you came out to meet them.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

All around great eyeshadows, would highly recommend to makeup artists. They get expensive when you factor in buying a z palette and filling it, but keep in mind that these are full size eyeshadows and most eyeshadow palettes have pans that contain 1/3 of a full size. That being said, if you're a casual user and you're looking to save money, I would recommend only buying these shadows in the shades that you know you'll use often, so matte shades or fave shimmers. I have 15 different pans and the only one I've hit pan on is my fave crease shade, creme brulee, and I've had that shadow for over two years.
I also have some foiled shadows, which I love despite their flaws. Those flaws being that they are hard to use a brush with, shatter easily, and will crease if you don't use the right base. I still love the finish and use them all the time.
These shadows are cruelty-free and made in the USA, like all MUG products, and I much prefer them over MAC eyeshadows (which are the same price now).