Makeup Geek Eyeshadow (All)

Makeup Geek  Eyeshadow (All)

3.7

Ingredients: Mica, Isoeicosane, Polyisobutene May Contain: Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Boron Nitride, Kaolin, Polyethylene, PTFE, Nylon-12, Magnesium Stearate, Zinc Oxide, Silica, Synthetic Wax, Lauroyl Lysine, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Methicone, Dimethicone, Iron Oxides CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, Chromium Hydroxide Green CI 77289, Ultramarines CI 77007, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Bismuth Oxychloride CI 77163, Manganese Violet CI 77742dc Black No. 2 CI 77266, C13-16 Isoparaffin, C12-C14 Isoparaffin, C13-C15 Alkane, Carmine CI 75470, Chromium Oxide Greens CI 77288, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide CI 77510, Ferric Ferrocyanide CI 77510, Blue 1 Lake CI 42090, Yellow 5 Lake CI 19140, Red 6 Lake CI 15850, Tin Oxide, Zinc Stearate

on 7/11/2016 12:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Average - This is my first time trying a Makeup Geek eyeshadow and my expectations were very high from what I have read about them previously. I ordered the Foil eye shadow in Whimsical and Im somewhat disappointed. The cost was around $12 with shipping and my Inglot eyeshadows are muchbetter for half the price. The color payoff was good but not great. I dont really get the hype considering there are cheaper shadow option out there like WetnWild and NYX.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Beautiful colors, nice formulation. they are very pigmented, and blends beautiful. The matte ones do get a little powder kickoff when swirled with a brush, but i dont mind.The foiled eyeshadows are the most beautiful ones i have ever seen. I apply them with my finger for the best pigmentation, and they look almost wet. I use "in the spotlight" everyday for my inner corner highlight. I would purchase all of the colors if i could!

To Read all 82 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Even if I like the shades or the product itself, i probably wont order again. The shadows have lost their main selling point: the fact that they are affordable but quality wise compete with other higher end products. Now that MAC eyeshadows are $6, I think I will purchase MAC shadows instead. I ordered a set of 9 eyeshadows (the starter set), creme brulee, and frappe and the wedding eyeshadow palette. I found a coupon code online and saved a bit of money.They came fairly quickly (though I did have a problem with shipping but it seems to be more UPS's fault) and the packaging is nice. Shipping wasn't too expensive. The shadows are very pretty. Some are better than others. Some are not so hot.
BUT, unless MUG has a huge sale, I'm not sure if it's worth it. Like I said, MAC single eyeshadows are the same price, but I find them to be better quality (even if not by a very large margin).
So, why I think it would be better to just buy MAC shadows instead is because MAC has a reward system program now that keeps track of how much money you spend with them and rewards you based on that; MUG rarely has any sales; if you are a member of MAC select, you don't have to pay for shipping; and MAC's single shadows have a better magnet on them (which may not matter to you, but I like to keep these shadows in my MAC palette, and I have to buy magnets to put on the back of my MUG eyeshadows). Love Marlena, but I'll pass.

on 6/20/2016 1:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

As of now, I own six MUG eyeshadow pans (Pretentious, Shimma Shimma, Envy, Bitten, Cosmopolitan, Prom Night) and two foiled eyeshadows (Magic Act and In the Spotlight), but I plan to buy much more, mainly because the pigmentation is so strong, smooth, blendable and long-lasting: I always use Urban Decay Primer Potion under any eyeshadow and the MUG ones can last all day without creasing. I have very sensitive skin and eyes and often wear contact lenses for hours and the MUG eyeshadows never caused me any problems. I found that especially the foiled ones are much better when applied with fingers instead of brushes.
The foiled eyeshadows are incredibly pretty, but compared to the normal pans they have a bit of a fallout problem (only when you apply them, they will not fall out during the day) and they are very fragile. Once broken, they can be repaired quite easily but you are going to lose some product. The normal eyeshadows on the other hand are much more difficult to break.
I purchased those colours because I love shimmer eyeshadows (only Bitten is matte) and I did not need transition or basic colours, but I have also tried Cocoa Bear and Corrupt which are the perfect matte brown and the blackest black ever.
The eyeshadow are sold in single metal pans so you are going to need a magnetic palette: I have the Sephora 3-Pan Colorful Eyeshadow Custom Palette Case and I adjusted it so that it can hold 8-9 MUG pans.
I am Italian and I bought the MUG eyeshadows from BeautyBay, which is a bit more expensive than the MUG website (i. e. the normal single eyeshadow costs 6,30 euro instead of 6 dollars) but offers free international shipping in reasonable time.

on 6/13/2016 4:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I had high hopes for all of these (regular, foiled, duo chrome) based on the raves in reviews; as most know, it's a rare day when you see a negative or "meh" type review on MG shadows. SO I was very surprised by the fact I did not like any of the shadows I purchased (or rcvd in various subscription boxes).

Matte and shimmer shadows: The colors were nice in the pan but I found these to be quite chalky/powdery and very dry. I also wasn't a fan of the blendablity; I felt the colors got muddy when blended out or together, this wasn't a nice and smooth blend or transition. Colors oxidized on me and no matter what primer I used the color faded away throughout the day [I tried MAC paint pots, UD, Too-Faced].

Foil and Duochrome: These are terrible! They look so beautiful in the pan or when swatched, but that's the complete opposite of what you get upon application. These need to be packed on and No brush (hard or soft, synthetic or otherwise) really works to achieve a good color payoff. Even Fix+ failed to intensify these for me. While these were not chalky at all, they faded much quicker than MG's matte and shimmer shadows did. To be fair though, this isn't the first time color payoff and fade issues have occurred with these types of shadows - I get similar issues using NARS Dual Intensity shadows.

Had I tried these a few months ago (or even farther back), I may have given them 3 stars simply based on color range (so many are available there must be some that work well!), in support of an indie brand that with time I figure will improve, and for the price. Unfortunately though I jumped on the bandwagon pretty late in the game - meaning after MAC made the decision to bring the price of their pan shadows down from $11 to $6. Now that MAC pans cost the same as MG, there is just no way I can justify giving these shadows anything but a 1 star review.

on 5/31/2016 11:13:00 AM

Pros: color selection, price, pan size
Cons: too powdery, don't last on my lids, some shades blend too easily making them look muddy

on 5/31/2016 9:17:00 AM

I've read a lot of bad reviews on MakeupAlley which really surprised me! I love these eyeshadows so much. They are cheap, crazy pigmented and the colour range is gorgeous.
1) People say there is a lot of fallout. I don't see any more than normal brands like MAC. I personally do my eyes before my face so it's not an issue for me.
2) People say they are chalky and not blendable. I find the consistency of these products some of the best I've come across. They are very comparable to MAC in my opinion. They aren't chalky if you use the right primer or concealer.
3) People also say they fade, however using a primer and a setting spray, I find they lasted long.
Overall, I love these shadows a lot :)

Fabulous eye shadows - very pigmented & easy to blend - and the price is a steal!!!

I bought 6 eyeshadows Blacklight, Phantom, High Tea, Dirty Martini, Prom Night, and Neptune. Colours were very pigmented when swatched with my finger but when applied to the eye (with a brush!) the shadows lacked pigment, were hard to blend and chalky. They also faded after 5 hours of wear even with a primer, emphasizing the uneven patches of colour. The shadows were extremely powdery and you have to tap off a lot of excess lest you want a ton of fallout on your face - waste of product!

Blacklight and Phantom are both duochromes and are clearly two different shades in the pan. But the shadows lack so much pigmentation that they looked exactly the same on the eyelid and the duochrome effect was minimal.

They are constantly being compared to MAC shadows but they are a far cry from MAC. Granted, some of MAC shadows are a hit or miss but I know that I can always receive a refund if I am unhappy with my purchase.

Buyers beware! Don't be sucked into the finger swatches and hype on YouTube. Will not be repurchasing.

on 4/2/2016 3:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I own 12 MUG shadows - all matte ones apart from Shimma Shimma. I will say that these shadows are very powdery/dusty compared to previous shadows I've used such as UD, TF, Tarte....despite that though, I find them to generally be pigmented, blend easily and don't apply patchy.

My favourites are Cocoa Bear (the most beautiful reddish brown and it's very pigmented), Peach Smoothie (a light apricot colour, great for transitioning), Shimma Shimma (lovely champagne inner corner highlight) and Creme Brulee (medium warm brown). I use Americano for my liner - it's a very dark brown but has a strong purple tone to it which makes my green eyes pop. I also like Vanilla Bean as a brow highlight, it's a light-medium beige with very fine shimmers in it. Most white/cream based highlighters don't look good on my yellow toned skin but Vanilla Bean does. I like to mix Mocha and Latte on my lower lashline for definition.

Overall I think for the price these are great (£4.95 if you buy in the UK), and the colour selection is good.