MAC #286 Duo Fibre Blending Brush

MAC #286 Duo Fibre Blending Brush

4.3

on 12/13/2017 6:38:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

i would repurchase even though i didn't give a 5 hippie rating is due to the fact that its such an unique brush. i am horrible at eyeshadow and packing on too much color. this brush helps me put on darker colors in the outer corners gently and a lot softer than if i was going in with a regular blending brush. the reason i didn't give this 5 lippie is because i don't reach for this enough. Its not a must have brush.

on 1/20/2016 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a very nice eye brush with a whisper touch. The white tips of the bristles are synthetic (on top of black natural hair). I am able to use this with cream eyeshadows as well as powders. For cream shadows I also use Bobbi Brown's Cream Shadow Brush. Both work well with light shades that cover most of the lid. You can also use this with powder shadows, especially to soften hard edges, but the 217 blender picks up more powder, so for a quick wash of Shroom or Orb, I usually reach for that one. Also my 217 and 239 from MAC have white goat hair, so if a bristle lands on my cheek someday, it won't show up like the black bristles of 224 do. 217 and 239 are durable.

The 286 brush can be used in the crease, giving you more control than 217 because of the thinner synthetic bristle tips. MAC has maintained good quality over the years and they keep their prices affordable for most customers. Also MAC is readily available at most malls; there is usually at least one department store with a MAC counter if not two, so I have a lot of MAC brushes in my collection. I also have some more expensive brushes but they are from specialty brands that are harder to find.

I've had this 286 brush for several years. It has held its shape well, and doesn't shed noticeably. I've had trouble with 224 shedding profusely, but my other MAC brushes do not. My favorite brush cleaners are Parian Spirit, Cinema Secrets, and Clean Apothecary's solid brush shampoo.

on 8/11/2015 8:54:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

The sales lady at Mac suggested I get this and I thought she was just looking to get more commission but this brush is actually good. The duo fibers and long bristles lightly and evenly blends out concealer. It's great for spot concealing blemishes as well.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Seriously not sure how I ever applied my eye shadow before this brush!!! I absolutely love the way my eye shadows apply and blend when I am using this brush.

I use this to apply the color to my crease and blend out, after I apply the deeper color to my outer V, I also use this with the same crease color to blend out and it looks amazing... I've even just used MAC's taupe color with this brush for a one color look and it does a great job!!! Definitely a must have in my arsenal of makeup tools and when this one eventually falls apart, I will definitely repurchase.

on 9/9/2014 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

this is one of the most versatile brushes out there. i own over 150 brushes and this is the one i use the most often. good for blending eye shadow, nose shadow, cream/liquid concealer, eye primer etc. Very soft bristle and i own 3 of the same one. You wont regret buying it.

on 8/30/2014 1:25:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

I think I initially bought this because I wanted a brush to specifically set my under eye concealer with... and umm this wasn't that great for it. However, for blending out colours in the socket/crease area, it's fantastic. I use this like almost every single day along with my go to transition colour Makeup Geek eyeshadow in Frappe. It's like they were made for each other. I would 100% buy this again if I lost it, thinking of even buying another one. The Duo-fibre makes a seamless eyeshadow application and gives a more sheer wash of colour rather than intense. Great investment.

on 6/9/2014 8:47:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this brush, its the perfect blending brush. It's my Hg

on 4/26/2014 1:21:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

In my opinion this brush is very comparable to the 226 brush (this is now a LE brush, real shame Mac done this as it's fab) but the 286 does go one better in that it's great for depositing product into the crease but also great for blending. I love the 224 but this brush is more dense and has more control.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I use this brush for blending eyeshadow. It is good and bad.

The 217 is an excellent blending brush, but I do use this one daily too. It blends shadows very quickly. This is my go-to blending eyeshadow brush when I am in a hurry. 2-3 swipes across my eye lid, and I have a good blend. But it is VERY easy to over do blending with this brush, making your eyeshadow muddy and undefined.

It doesn't pick up a lot of product, so sometimes I use it with darker colors in my outer corner, for a more subtle look.

Size-wise, it is quite a bit larger than the 217. If you have small eyes, it will probably be too large for you.
It works especially well when blending stubborn shadows. I think it makes blending cream shadows easier too. I do think it is softer than the 217.

Do you need it? No, it's not a must have brush, especially if you have a 217. But I am glad I purchased, and would re-purchase.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I always been a fan of 224 for concealer but I guess it just wasn't made for cream product so mine shed after one year of use, however I got the 286 and it didn't work as well as 224 for concealer! So I tried use it for eyeshadow application on crease area, it works amazing now it's the only brush I like to use for blending. Ps: I don't like 219 it pulls the skin too much will make you winkles!

Popular Makeup Brushes