Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35

Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35
Smashbox Camera Ready BB CreamCamera Ready BB Cream SPF 35

on 2/25/2017 6:32:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I purchased the darkest one of this product which is light and very airy. Too bad the coverage only last 3-4hrs. With an average price of $39.99 save your money. It is supposed to assist with oily skin, but not in my case. Even with their primer my face was oiled up and color had wore off. This product could be so much more if consistency was added.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I have several bb creams in my rotation and even though its not my #1 go to bb cream its definitely worthy of a review. On my oily/combo skin it definitely keeps the oil slick at bay without sucking the life out of my skin. I just apply over my vitamin c serum and I'm set to go. I don't set it with any powder and it diffuses my enlarged pores and evens out my skintone. I don't experience any fading over the course of the day and if I happen to have a minor breakout it does dry out the spots (acne). I will definitely repurchase.

on 6/23/2013 5:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This is a great product if you're looking for something lightweight and natural. I don't even have to set this with a powder and it lasts all day. I'm an nc50 and this is a perfect match, however I must say that the price is a bit much. I'm hoping to find a cheaper alternative.

on 2/19/2013 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

THIS IS THE REAL DEAL! (my original review from 9/13/2012)

I finally broke down a bought this about a month ago. It does exactly what it says on the packaging. Smashbox and Maybelline are the only two companies selling B.B. Creams that offer options for people who are darker than just light and medium.

While I like Maybelline's version, Smashbox is wayyyyy better. I don't have to apply anything to my skin before this product. I literally wash my face, apply the b.b. cream and go. It smooths out my complexion with one light coat. I only apply a light dusting of transculent powder to my t-zone and I'm set for the day. It lasts me about 8 hours and has not irritated my skin. You can easily build this up for a full coverage look (you'll need to add a powder on top).

The price tag is my only complaint. It does not need to be as expensive, but you don't need alot to get good coverage.

I wear Revlon Colorstay in a Carmel/Cappuccino mix, Mac in NW45 and MUFE in 173/175. The color (dark) is spot on for my skintone. You can't tell that I am wearing anything when I have this on, it makes my skin look beautiful!

This is a definite win for me. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works when the weather gets cooler and drier.

***EDIT*** (2/2013)

I'm still loving my Smashbox BB Cream, but now that my skin is in it's 'winter phase' the color is not as great of a match as last summer. If I wear it alone, it washes me out. I can correct this easily with my powder but shouldn't have to do this. It still has wonderful coverage and I have not had any breakouts with this product. I guess I'll just have to keep this one for the summer months. Thankfully Iman has finally come out with a BB Cream exclusively for women of color that I can't wait to try!

on 9/30/2012 3:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Seeing as I'm on my 3rd tube of Smashbox BB Cream, I figured I'd write a review. IMO this is the best BB cream that works with darker skin (NW45/NC50), because most, if not all of the other BB creams, are only made for light to medium skin. That said, I really like the effect of this product when used with liquid foundation (NARS Sheer, MAC foundations & Bobbi Brown Longwear). There is no ashy or weird finish from the Dark shade and this does prime and prep my face for foundation very well. This was my go-to primer this whole summer as I was out and about a lot and needed my foundation to last through the heat and humidity. Smashbox BB is like glue for my foundation. (not in a bad sticky way, but in staying power). I've tried 3-4 other BB creams and this is the only one that can also be worn alone and not look bad.
My only concern is that in the winter, my skin is uber dry and this will not have enough moisturizing effect for me.

on 9/5/2012 4:38:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

So someone raved about this on YT as being better thatn the Maybelline BB cream. She stated that it was more like a foundation and gave a matte finish. My opinion is it does give a matte finish but if I wanted a foundation I would buy one. Although this cream does look great when it goes on, I found that it did not last all day. It probably lasted about 5 hours used with my MSFN. I didnt expect it either. I looked at my face throughout the day and I looked like I just woke up. Thank goodness I just got a free Sample and did not buy.

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Cool

It does what it says. It blends well with my skin. It gives a good amount of coverage...but it's so darn expensive for what you get. You don't have to use a lot of this stuff. A drop of cream and apply with a stippling brush gives enough coverage for me. I do have to touch up especially noticeable blemishes with concealer. I would buy it again, but I'll keep an eye out for dupes.

Update: I am on my third tube of this BB cream. No other BB cream compares.

on 7/8/2012 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I can't attest to the skin-perfecting benefits since I just started using it, but I'm really enjoying it. I have oily, acneic skin that really gives me the bizness in the summer with increased oiliness and breakouts. I have to step up my skincare for sure, yet the last thing I want to do in the sweltering summer heat is put on more makeup. So, my curiosity with BB creams began. It has been said that the Asian BB creams are superior for their skin-perfecting benefits, but I have yet to find one online that is recommended for darker skintones. They rarely, if ever, come in anything other than fair shades. So, for now, the US versions will have to suffice.

I like Smashbox's version because for a whole entire face, I use a little less than pea size. It looks like a full-coverage job because my spots are almost completely concealed! I use the color dark (MAC NC45/Revlon Caramel) and it blends into my skin perfectly. Moreover, this BB cream is definitely for oilier skins because it absorbs oil unlike anything else I've tried that is supposedly geared for oily skin. My skin looks perfect after 5 hours without 1 blot, and that is not normally my life.

My process: With my pea size amount, I dot my forehead, chin and both cheeks, and apply with my fingers in a smoothing fashion. At this point, I waste about 5 minutes admiring how evened out my complexion looks. Next, I may or may not apply undereye concealer. Lastly, I dust on BareMinerals Tinted Mineral Veil. Or, when I want more coverage, I will apply a light layer of foundation over it, then the mineral veil. Wow, it still looks like skin!

I hope to update with how it has improved my skin with hopefully nothing negative to say because I am pleased thus far. The price prevented me from buying sooner though because for $38, all you get is 1 oz. However, it seems like it's going to last a long time since I use so little.

UPDATE: This is now going to be a permanent part of my makeup routine because it is so versatile. I can use it alone after my skincare with just a light dust of powder to set. Or, I can use it as a primer underneath a full coverage foundation job. I didn't expect it to benefit my skin, since the USA versions are known to be just tinted moisturizers. However, my skin does improve with use. How you may ask? The sunscreen allows any areas of hyperpigmentation to tone and clear faster. I'm really glad I took the plunge. By the way, I am still using the same tube since I first wrote this review a year later.