Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35

4.7

on 2/19/2013 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

THIS IS THE REAL DEAL! (my original review from 9/13/2012)

I finally broke down a bought this about a month ago. It does exactly what it says on the packaging. Smashbox and Maybelline are the only two companies selling B.B. Creams that offer options for people who are darker than just light and medium.

While I like Maybelline's version, Smashbox is wayyyyy better. I don't have to apply anything to my skin before this product. I literally wash my face, apply the b.b. cream and go. It smooths out my complexion with one light coat. I only apply a light dusting of transculent powder to my t-zone and I'm set for the day. It lasts me about 8 hours and has not irritated my skin. You can easily build this up for a full coverage look (you'll need to add a powder on top).

The price tag is my only complaint. It does not need to be as expensive, but you don't need alot to get good coverage.

I wear Revlon Colorstay in a Carmel/Cappuccino mix, Mac in NW45 and MUFE in 173/175. The color (dark) is spot on for my skintone. You can't tell that I am wearing anything when I have this on, it makes my skin look beautiful!

This is a definite win for me. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works when the weather gets cooler and drier.

***EDIT*** (2/2013)

I'm still loving my Smashbox BB Cream, but now that my skin is in it's 'winter phase' the color is not as great of a match as last summer. If I wear it alone, it washes me out. I can correct this easily with my powder but shouldn't have to do this. It still has wonderful coverage and I have not had any breakouts with this product. I guess I'll just have to keep this one for the summer months. Thankfully Iman has finally come out with a BB Cream exclusively for women of color that I can't wait to try!

on 9/30/2012 3:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Seeing as I'm on my 3rd tube of Smashbox BB Cream, I figured I'd write a review. IMO this is the best BB cream that works with darker skin (NW45/NC50), because most, if not all of the other BB creams, are only made for light to medium skin. That said, I really like the effect of this product when used with liquid foundation (NARS Sheer, MAC foundations & Bobbi Brown Longwear). There is no ashy or weird finish from the Dark shade and this does prime and prep my face for foundation very well. This was my go-to primer this whole summer as I was out and about a lot and needed my foundation to last through the heat and humidity. Smashbox BB is like glue for my foundation. (not in a bad sticky way, but in staying power). I've tried 3-4 other BB creams and this is the only one that can also be worn alone and not look bad.
My only concern is that in the winter, my skin is uber dry and this will not have enough moisturizing effect for me.

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

I've been using this for a few days and am delighted with it. I have fair skin, reddish cheeks, combination skin with large pores. It gives enough coverage and sets really fast. Feels like when Mac face and body starts to set as you apply it, but it's thicker with better coverage. With a light press of powder, it really minimizes the old pores. Unlike foundations, it has a certain opacity to it, doesn't look so much like youre wearing a powdery foundation, and it doesn't emphasize lines around the eyes as foundations with powder over them can do. Best of all I can use it on it's own. No moisturizer first. Mistake proof. Excellent colour match, I bought the light. Not at all greasy like other bb creams either.