Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35

3.4

on 7/8/2012 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I can't attest to the skin-perfecting benefits since I just started using it, but I'm really enjoying it. I have oily, acneic skin that really gives me the bizness in the summer with increased oiliness and breakouts. I have to step up my skincare for sure, yet the last thing I want to do in the sweltering summer heat is put on more makeup. So, my curiosity with BB creams began. It has been said that the Asian BB creams are superior for their skin-perfecting benefits, but I have yet to find one online that is recommended for darker skintones. They rarely, if ever, come in anything other than fair shades. So, for now, the US versions will have to suffice.

I like Smashbox's version because for a whole entire face, I use a little less than pea size. It looks like a full-coverage job because my spots are almost completely concealed! I use the color dark (MAC NC45/Revlon Caramel) and it blends into my skin perfectly. Moreover, this BB cream is definitely for oilier skins because it absorbs oil unlike anything else I've tried that is supposedly geared for oily skin. My skin looks perfect after 5 hours without 1 blot, and that is not normally my life.

My process: With my pea size amount, I dot my forehead, chin and both cheeks, and apply with my fingers in a smoothing fashion. At this point, I waste about 5 minutes admiring how evened out my complexion looks. Next, I may or may not apply undereye concealer. Lastly, I dust on BareMinerals Tinted Mineral Veil. Or, when I want more coverage, I will apply a light layer of foundation over it, then the mineral veil. Wow, it still looks like skin!

I hope to update with how it has improved my skin with hopefully nothing negative to say because I am pleased thus far. The price prevented me from buying sooner though because for $38, all you get is 1 oz. However, it seems like it's going to last a long time since I use so little.

UPDATE: This is now going to be a permanent part of my makeup routine because it is so versatile. I can use it alone after my skincare with just a light dust of powder to set. Or, I can use it as a primer underneath a full coverage foundation job. I didn't expect it to benefit my skin, since the USA versions are known to be just tinted moisturizers. However, my skin does improve with use. How you may ask? The sunscreen allows any areas of hyperpigmentation to tone and clear faster. I'm really glad I took the plunge. By the way, I am still using the same tube since I first wrote this review a year later.

on 10/8/2014 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Are you looking for a product that goes on moist and makes you look wet instead of dewy? Are you looking for a product that wipes entirely off your skin if you lightly blow your nose, attempt to change into a shirt that doesn't have an extremely wide neck or try to lightly apply powder over it to tame that wet look and make it last more than a few hours on your face? Well, Smashbox heard your wish and created this BB cream. Rejoice! Or don't. I certainly didn't.

I'm no longer annoyed about what a flop this is, but I'm still baffled by its existence. One of the worst products I've ever sampled. The sample color was way too dark and orange, but I ain't even mad about that. It's not an issue given how bad this product is.

This stuff is amazing. Firstly, it is the first foundation, or coverage type product that has ever matched my skin perfectly. I'm Native American and Spanish and Irish...usually the undertones in make up are too pink / too yellow / too white. I got this in light and it blends perfectly, you absolutely cannot tell I have anything on, which I love. I also noticed it keeps my shine down. Not all the way, but with my skin I think that's impossible. Plus, I love that it feels nourishing. I used to use Neutrogena's skin Clearing Foundation, but it really dried my skin out, and any other foundation severely broke me out. This is smooth and lightly creamy, but not heavy or oily. I'm in heaven. Plus it has SPF which I never used before (make up with SPF always broke me out) and now I finally can.

The only thing some might have a problem with is it's light coverage. It obviously doesn't give as much as a foundation would, but I like that. I use this, then Botanics Complexion Refining Concealer over my problem spots and I have just enough coverage. I am now able to have coverage without looking like I'm wearing anything. I love it. And it's great on my skin. Sure it's a bit pricey, but I guess you get what you pay for. This is actually the first thing I've gotten at Sephora, I'm typically a drug-store cosmetics kind of girl. But this is worth the money in my opinion.

I don't usually write reviews on products, but I've been reading a lot of them lately and felt I needed to write a review of this product. This product is pretty expensive for the quality. Luckily, I got it in the SmashBox trial kit and didn't pay for a full sized product. I have acne prone skin at 28 (errghhh) and thought this would be nice for light coverage during the day just running around.....I was wrong. This made my blemishes stand out even more than without makeup. It intensified my pores and blemishes and made me look horrible. Many people have raved about this product, but I would NOT recommend it for people with those small white bumps you get or large pores. It just made my face look like a mess and I would definitely not repurchase this product. It may work great if you have perfect skin, but if you get any blemishes on a regular basis, I would stay away from the Smashbox BB cream at all costs....especially the cost of this product. Sorry, I love the primer and mascaras, but this is just NOT for me.

on 3/19/2012 8:16:00 PM

Tried this because I love (HG) Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer spf15 ... but wanted a higher spf rating.

It's a whole different beastie ;-)

Bought 'Light' - same shade I use in the TM - but it's WAY lighter in the BB cream. So much so, that I look ghostly.

Settled into every line on my face - and seemed to find new ones! Masky and dry feeling. No glow. Accentuated every flake or imperfection.

I don't understand people who say to just use the product lightly ... if you are hoping to get the spf benefit from the product (which I want), then you will have to use approx 1/2 tsp. For me, that amount made for a very artificial look.

Where it touched my eye cream - it pilled.

I didn't realize that one of the benefits is oil control - and I can see where it would do that. On my skin it was very drying. I would only recommend this for someone with oily/very oily skin.

Even in the correct shade for me - which might be 'Light-Medium', this is not moisturizing enough. Sure I could use a moisturizer under ... but trying to limit the amount of products on my skin. I like my skin to look moisturized/somewhat dewy - but the look was very matte and lifeless.

So gave to sis who has oily skin. The shade is probably too light for her too ... but she can see if she likes the texture.

I'm back to my Smashbox Tinted Moisturizer spf15 and Lancome Bienfait Multi-Vital Teinte SPF 30. The Lancome is heavier than the Smashbox TM, but has a nice glow (compared to Smashbox BB).

This product claims to do the jobs of multiple other items all in one tiny bottle of bb cream. I can safely say it doesn't. There's no way with the amount of coverage this has that I would be able to replace my foundation with it. It does, however, work well as a corrector/concealer, and i've used it as an eyelid primer with success. Not exactly what was promised, especially for forty dollars.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is quite a thick BB cream that I try to think of more as a sunscreen (Spf 35) than any kind of base product. It's not great in terms of blendability or coverage, but if I'm going out somewhere and know I'll need a nice sunscreen on and wouldn't mind a bit of coverage, this is what I'd choose. I might buy it again to use this way on a holiday or something, but otherwise it's not for me. (I use shade fair).

on 7/20/2015 3:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

As of right now, this is my favorite bb cream! The texture is creamy and pigmented, a little goes a long way! Well it has to with the hefty price tag for a one ounce bottle! I was recommended this product by a friend with very sensitive skin. Like I mean she can barely wear anything without causing breakouts, dry skin, or any catastrophic skin problem! But this stuff works for her, so i decided to over look the price (about $50's Canadian. Ouch!) I got the shade fair, which had just came out when I bought it. I'm so glad that they brought out a lighter shade to match my mayonnaise colored skin, why don't they ever name a shade that? This stuff hides redness, and doesn't cling to dry skin. But if you have acne concealer will do wonders for you. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone wanting a light, natural glow.

on 9/6/2013 10:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I really adore this BB cream. I've been using this since the spring, and this has probably been my most raved about "new" product in my routine.

To start off I am a complete foundation junky, and was very very late to jump on the BB cream bandwagon. I had dabbled in TM briefly, and every one I tried just left me with ZERO coverage and an unnatural orange sheen to the skin-- so I didn't have high hopes for a BB cream.

I was *never* a sunscreen gal until pregnancy made my skin super sensitive, so my biggest motivator for sampling a ME/HE BB was that I wanted a one step ss/foundation coverage/out the door.

I sampled quite a few brands of ME-HE BB creams, and Smashbox has by far and wide been my absolute favorite!

Pros:
-Relatively high SPF (SPF 35)
-No fragrance
-A fairly large color selection
-Under $40
-Long lasting
-Does not irritate or break out my skin at all
-Pregnancy Safe :D (CC cream as well)
-Leaves my skin more moisturized at end of day when I wash it off
-Does NOT cake or cling to dry spots
-Satin/Matte finish

Cons:
-I wish it contained only a physical ss, not a chemical and a physical... but this isn't really a con, it is just my preference.
-I am darker and more yellow than "fair", yet "light" oxidizes pretty orange on me, so it would be cool to have a wider color selection.

*AND** saving the best for last-- The coverage!

This BB cream has amazzzziiinnnngg coverage. This is particularly true when I pair this BB cream with my MAC studio fix foundation powder.

On days that I just do not feel like doing a full face, (which for me is: lotion, ss, primer, foundation, concealer, setting powder: wooh!) I can cut the whole process and just (lotion, BB cream, MAC SF powder/ out the door). And this works great!!--- Honestly my makeup lasts all day, the coverage is so good I don't even need concealer, my pores aren't visible, the coverage doesn't fade and my acne scarring will stay concealed the wholllleee day!

I still love my foundation, but honestly to cut my work into a 1/3 this gives me FLAWLESS results in my makeup application... and my skin is hydrated, and protected from the sun.

Without MAC SF, I can expect SB BB to last about 4-5 hours, which still is pretty impressive for a BB.

This item is definitely a staple to my collection now-- especially for spring/summer when the sun is out, and I want coverage but dont want like 7 layers of makeup.

Smashbox truly does put out consistent quality products IMO.

I'll be the first to admit that I was hesitant to try another BB Cream, after bad experiences with drugstore formulas and tinted moisturizers, but Smashbox's Camera Ready BB Cream changed my mind!

It took a while to get used to the product and how to apply it. The product is quite thick and does not spread easily; As such, I initially used much more than was necessary, which resulted in it looking a caked on and unnatural - not what you want from a BB cream! However, I eventually learned to use a much smaller amount and apply it in dots on my cheekbones, nose, chin and forehead. From there, I just quickly blend it in before it sets. The result? A wonderfully even and smooth skin-tone without the appearance of wearing makeup! And the finish is perfect for warmer climates! Even in the heat and humidity, my face stays almost perfectly matter throughout the day, with an occasional blotting here and there.

I can't rave enough about this product! For someone who likes a light to medium coverage without looking "made up", this product is perfect... and being able apply my makeup and sun protection all in one step makes it my HG!