Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35

3.5

on 7/8/2012 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I can't attest to the skin-perfecting benefits since I just started using it, but I'm really enjoying it. I have oily, acneic skin that really gives me the bizness in the summer with increased oiliness and breakouts. I have to step up my skincare for sure, yet the last thing I want to do in the sweltering summer heat is put on more makeup. So, my curiosity with BB creams began. It has been said that the Asian BB creams are superior for their skin-perfecting benefits, but I have yet to find one online that is recommended for darker skintones. They rarely, if ever, come in anything other than fair shades. So, for now, the US versions will have to suffice.

I like Smashbox's version because for a whole entire face, I use a little less than pea size. It looks like a full-coverage job because my spots are almost completely concealed! I use the color dark (MAC NC45/Revlon Caramel) and it blends into my skin perfectly. Moreover, this BB cream is definitely for oilier skins because it absorbs oil unlike anything else I've tried that is supposedly geared for oily skin. My skin looks perfect after 5 hours without 1 blot, and that is not normally my life.

My process: With my pea size amount, I dot my forehead, chin and both cheeks, and apply with my fingers in a smoothing fashion. At this point, I waste about 5 minutes admiring how evened out my complexion looks. Next, I may or may not apply undereye concealer. Lastly, I dust on BareMinerals Tinted Mineral Veil. Or, when I want more coverage, I will apply a light layer of foundation over it, then the mineral veil. Wow, it still looks like skin!

I hope to update with how it has improved my skin with hopefully nothing negative to say because I am pleased thus far. The price prevented me from buying sooner though because for $38, all you get is 1 oz. However, it seems like it's going to last a long time since I use so little.

UPDATE: This is now going to be a permanent part of my makeup routine because it is so versatile. I can use it alone after my skincare with just a light dust of powder to set. Or, I can use it as a primer underneath a full coverage foundation job. I didn't expect it to benefit my skin, since the USA versions are known to be just tinted moisturizers. However, my skin does improve with use. How you may ask? The sunscreen allows any areas of hyperpigmentation to tone and clear faster. I'm really glad I took the plunge. By the way, I am still using the same tube since I first wrote this review a year later.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Oh, man. I love this stuff. I've been on board with the BB Cream craze for awhile, now, and I've even traipsed through the shelves of Pretty and Cute here in Portland, but I've been hard pressed to commit to BB creams for a couple of reasons. A) Limited shades. I don't care how you market it, grey is not a flattering camouflage for blemishes. Ever. I realize the general consensus is: too many color options defeats the purpose of a bb cream. I completely disagree, but whatever. B) I have extraordinarily sensitive skin, so any multitasking product containing a plethora of polysyllabic ingredients runs the high risk of rendering me a rashy fright.

I am definitely a foundation junkie. With roughly high end 40 foundations and a dozen bb creams scattered about my bathroom- I can safely say I've left few stones unturned in the search for a miracle in a bottle. I usually avoid Smashbox foundations all together- they run dark/orange, and some of their formulas have been disgusting, frankly. The Smashbox BB Cream is a complete dream, though. It goes on buttery smooth, dries to a natural matte finish, provides more coverage than many of the BB Creams I've tried (including Skin79 and Dr. Jart, which seem to be the most popular here in the U.S.), never looks chalky or weirdly pink, and it lasts for HOURS. I mean, it really lasts and lasts on my combination skin. Every couple of hours I look in the mirror to see if it has yet to sink into my rather large pores and it never happens!

The best part however is, it actually makes my skin feel great. Soft and supple. I had a rashy patch by mouth when I first applied the Camera Ready BB Cream, and the redness was considerably diminished when I washed it off later that night. The bumps felt smaller and my skin seemed smoother overall. This is actually a first as far as bb creams go, since very few truly seem to deliver any obvious skin benefits beyond sun protection. I look forward to applying this product, because I genuinely believe it is improving the condition of my skin.

I have yet to experience any irritation or breakouts. I attribute this to the fact that it doesn't contain any of the cyclo-silicones (i.e., cyclomethicone, cyclopentasiloxane). It's also easy to wash off! Many of the bb creams I have tried have been so difficult to remove, even with a proper makeup remover, but this rinses away easily. It's almost impossible to fathom- a product with staying power AND washes off without aggressive scrubbing?

For reference, I'm a smidge darker than warm vanilla in Bobbi Brown, closer to a Nars Deauville (probably a NW20ish in MAC, but more on the neutral side), and the light shade is perfect for me. Not too yellow, not too pink. Not too light, not too dark. Just right and really makes my skin look soft and radiant. I'm not sure if there are light reflecting pigments, but it does provide a nice natural glow that seems to take a few years off my age. I love that it never feels greasy, and truly does seem to provide some degree of oil reduction/control.

I hope Smashbox never quits making this bb cream! This outperforms most of my foundations and puts every tinted moisturizer I own (Laura Mercier, Urban Decay, Smashbox, Estee Lauder, just about any iconic TM on the market) to shame. LOVE this stuff! Love it!

The one, though not completely fatal, flaw is the price. C'mon....$39 for 1 fl. oz? REALLY? For a bb cream, which is essentially a glorified tinted moisturizer? Ugh. It's ridiculous, but I will most likely continue cough up the dough. If it wasn't for the exorbitant price, I would have happily given Camera Ready BB Cream five lippies.

on 4/5/2012 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

So I have NEVER felt compelled to write a review, even coming across some amazing products throughout my time, but this was too amazing to NOT write! I am the type of person who is OCD about my skincare (I learned as I got into my early to mid 20s) and I'd rather not wear makeup than wear cake face and have my flaws even more pronounced than before. That being said, I have tried it all - don't we all say that? Haha. Truly, though, I thought my new go-to was the Estee Lauder Invisible Fluid, until I realized that no matter what I did, it sucked out all the moisture in my skin and left dry patches, but then by the end of the day it would pool in my t-zone/pores -I'm actually oily and acne prone, but as I'm approaching my mid 20s, my skin has changed and has become dehydrated in some areas. This bb cream IS drying - so you must moisturize before you put it on; but I am an avid skincare aficionado, so this is just like my regular routine. Skincare is skincare and makeup is makeup (in my opinion, of course). No other makeup has stayed on my face so well AND when I do get oily, it doesn't emphasize or pool into pores - it just becomes dewy/glowy and I use my Sephora Matte blotting papers and it does the trick! The MUA at Smashbox showed me a new way to apply it - and it turns out I was using too much! Squeeze half a pea, or pearl sized amount into your palm, take your three fingers and work it in, then press and dab into your face! Voila - the results are literally, unbelievable. From Nars to Chanel to Estee Lauder (I could name many more!), this is the product for me. I can't believe I have found something that works - and no, I don't believe the bb cream hype about the 395823532 benefits for your skin. Like, I said, I separate the two aspects of skincare and cosmetics. But, as a cosmetic, I will say this is TOP NOTCH! Get this, you won't regret it.

on 4/10/2012 4:31:00 PM

I love this stuff! It goes on easily, lasts all day. More coverage than other BBs or TMs, but not too much. Had great luck with its sunscreen properties on a recent beach vacation. As others have mentioned, it is expensive. One tube will last a long time, though. It only takes a small amount to cover your face.

It gives a slightly dewy finish, less than Boscia BB, which I am currently sampling and think is a bit oily. (I have normal to dry skin.) It stays put and doesn't settle into fine lines. I finish with MUFE finishing powder and usually blot mid-day with Clean & Clear blotting papers. That's all I need to keep it looking fresh.

I like that this comes in four or five colors. I am NW15 and ended up buying both fair and light. Fair is really, really light. Light is a bit dark for me, although I could probably get away with it alone in summertime. I mix them in varying proportions according to the look I want and the lighting I will be in.

Get a Sephora CM to make you a sample pot of this. It's worth trying!

on 10/11/2011 3:35:00 PM

I hesitated to buy this. Normally I wear Smashbox Halo or Diorskin powder foundation, but lately my face has been looking washed out. I do not have dry or oily skin, but my skin is very sensitive. I really do like this BB cream. It is a little dry and thick. I put a light moisturizer on before I apply it (1 lippie off for that). You need to work quickly with this product and in sections. I put a small drop on my forehead, then blend it in, then another small drop on my nose and blend and so on until my face is done. This way the product applies smoothly. It provides more coverage than most TMs but does not feel heavy like a cream foundation. It imparts a nice subtle glow to my skin, not matte, but not shiny, perfect. It does not settle into fine lines and after 2 weeks of use, I have not had any adverse reactions to this product. I find it looks better on my skin without any powder on top. If you have very dry or very oily skin this may not work for you. It does seem a little pricey for the small amount, but I think this should last a long time. I use 5 small dots for my entire face. I got this in medium which is the color I use in Halo and it's a perfect shade for me. In Dior I use 040.

on 6/2/2012 9:01:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

In my quest for the perfect BB Cream, Smashbox has not afforded perfection for my skin type. Here's the story: I've been trying many BB creams before making a final decision to purchase. (FYI--Boscia is the one for me). On a whim, I figured I would try this out. While in Nordstrom, one of the Smashbox S/A's gave me a sample in the "Light" tint. As I had tried the "Fair" and the "light" on my hand, I mentioned that the light was far too yellow for my skin. She said. "No it's not"...and gave me this light sample. First of all, I know my coloring. This "light" just wasn't for me. My skin looked jaundiced as though I was on a 20-year bender. Not a good look--especially for a woman in her 50's. Secondly, this is not as hydrating as the Dr. Jart or the Boscia (sorry for the poor spelling). My skin is very dry and I really need a super-hydrating product. Application is "meh". It doesn't go on as well as the other BB creams I've tried. Look..I realize very much that what may work for others may or may not work for me--and visa versa. It all depends on your skin's characteristics and your coloring. Smashbox BB cream just is not a good choice if your skin is very fair, freckled, dry..AND shall I add "mature"? I did give it 3 lipsticks on the price because I don't think it is any more expensive than other BB cremes that I've tried. Also, I don't think the packaging is bad either. This just does not work for me. Thank you for reading this review and have a wonderful weekend!

on 1/25/2012 4:59:00 PM

I've been using the sample for 2 weeks, interchangably with Stila Perfect and Correct. They are both comparable because they are light-medium coverage, all in one kind of deals.

Anyway, there are 2 great points about the smashbox bb cream: 1) spf 35, 2) it feels like i'm wearing nothing at all on my skin. My usual issue with skin foundations is that it looks cakey due to my oily skin, the smashbox bb cream does not cause an oily mess on my face. Excellent.

Only gripes:
1) Smashbox makes all these vague claims, with how it's a 5 in one: hydrates, primes, perfects, controls oil, and protects. Hydrates? I don't know, I find it rather drying actually. Primes, maybe, haven't tried it but I'm sure it'll work. Perfects? I dunno about that either. Controls oil: yes, protects: yes (it's SPF 35).

2) It's not easily spreadable. I end up using a lot of it to get it around my entire face.

3) It's only 1oz for $40. Pretty freaking expensive.

Overall: I think it's versatile in the sense that it can be used alone or with another foundation. For my skin, I like the fact that it makes my skin feel like I'm wearing zero makeup at all throughout the day. There is no runny, oily mess on my face (although my T zone does tend to get pretty oily regardless, it has been much more manageable). There is no cakiness or dryness of the skin.

I don't think this is for everyone. It won't conceal your imperfections as much as MAC studio concealer, it won't cure your cystic acne (although it might be better than other foundation chioces for your skin), it also won't cure your dry skin (might make it worse).

Update: I've gone back and forth with different products. I have found that the other products look a bit cakey on my skin and caused a few stray pimples to pop up on my face. Every time I return to the smashbox bb cream, my skin texture just feels better and the pimples start to dry up. I just wish there was more than 1oz in the tube! It's my official everyday tinted moisturizer. 5 lippies as of today.

on 1/5/2012 3:15:00 PM

UPDATE: The only way I could make this work was by mixing it with the same brand's 15 Hr. foundation (one of my faves). The mixture resulted in a easy-to-blend, medium coverage foundation. It can, of course, be made sheerer or fuller, depending on how much of each is blended.

However, I'm totally underwhelmed by these BB creams. To me, they are nothing but glorified TMs. Oh, well. This trend will pass too.

------

There's a good deal of bruh-ha-ha going on about these BB creams ... and I'll be dashed if I can understand why. With one solitary exception (Clinique), the ones I tried were all greasy, sheer-coverage ... make that, NO coverage. And the colors were off, to say the least.

This new release by Smashbox is no different. I got a generous sample from one of the lovely girls at my local Sephora. The color I chose is Light, which is a good match. And that's the end of the good news. It blends nicely but that's only because it's so, uh, emollient (greasy). Coverage is nil, although I don't have pimples or dark acne scars (though I'm sure there will be the usual number of wishful-thinkers, who will convince themselves that this gives them coverage - a curious and recurring phenomenon, these days). And if you're oily, there's NO WAY you can wear this w/o powder and not look like a basted turkey in no time flat.

And all that joy for the modicum sum of $39? I don't think so. I'll pass.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I really hate this BB cream with every fibre of my being. If this bb cream is one of the reasons for this new BB cream craze than I want nothing to do with it. I bought it after seeing Bethany Mota (macbarbie07) include this in a lot of her tutorials saying how much she loved the product but apparently I couldn't get that lucky. I purchased this in the shade fair which was a relatively good match for my skin. When I went to apply it though it was literally impossible. This BB cream is thick and sticky and applies very streaky. The coverage was very light but miraculously you were able to see because of all the streakiness that I was wearing makeup. It was also really dewy....like unflatteringly so. It reminded me of the finish of CoverFx NaturalFx foundation which I also hated. Sigh. I'm not really sure how long it lasted cause of the really light coverage but what pisses me off most about this is that it is $50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think in USA the price is $39 but heck I wouldn't spend $39 on this. I am a huge foundation junkie so take my word for this. Its terrible.

on 6/13/2012 10:17:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is truly a holy grail product for me, I'm 21, male, olive medium skin tone, some acne scars, and combination skin. I've been looking for a product like this forever! I love that this contains SPF 35, plant extracts, anti-aging peptides, and that it covers without looking cakey. The use this with this with the smashbox light primer and set it with mac mineralized skin finish. I love this. The price is a bit steep but it is an amazing product. I would like to mention that the sunscreen in this product does not adequately provide protection from uva rays so wear a broad spectrum sunscreen underneath if your going out in the sun.