Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35

Smashbox Camera Ready BB CreamCamera Ready BB Cream SPF 35

3.4

on 1/8/2012 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

NC25, red undertones, old acne discolorations.

When I tried this, I finally felt comfortable enough to return the Temptu machine (even when the Sephora SA asked why, I had come in w/ 1/2 done in this BB and the other 1/2 in Temptu... she agreed, the BB side was better). Med to buildable full coverage, so this will be heavy for people used to the Asian BBs. For my large cheek pores, I still need primer and do get shiny by end of day w/out any blotting. I'm excited for the beginning to the end of a new foundation search during my "beauty routine shakeup". If you're NC25, you can read my "BB" lists in "My Wishlist" to get my thoughts on MANY brands.

BTW, this wears virtually identical to the Lioele Dollish Veil Vita in Green (for half the price) for me, but this is easier to blend.

Update 1/20/12: I am learning I'm lazy and do not care for the high maintenance of a primer and dealing w/ the shine, darn my porous oily skin! Compared to Boots Nude, Boots is slighter warmer in tone and fuller coverage. I'll keep looking.

This product claims to do the jobs of multiple other items all in one tiny bottle of bb cream. I can safely say it doesn't. There's no way with the amount of coverage this has that I would be able to replace my foundation with it. It does, however, work well as a corrector/concealer, and i've used it as an eyelid primer with success. Not exactly what was promised, especially for forty dollars.

on 3/19/2012 8:16:00 PM

Tried this because I love (HG) Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer spf15 ... but wanted a higher spf rating.

It's a whole different beastie ;-)

Bought 'Light' - same shade I use in the TM - but it's WAY lighter in the BB cream. So much so, that I look ghostly.

Settled into every line on my face - and seemed to find new ones! Masky and dry feeling. No glow. Accentuated every flake or imperfection.

I don't understand people who say to just use the product lightly ... if you are hoping to get the spf benefit from the product (which I want), then you will have to use approx 1/2 tsp. For me, that amount made for a very artificial look.

Where it touched my eye cream - it pilled.

I didn't realize that one of the benefits is oil control - and I can see where it would do that. On my skin it was very drying. I would only recommend this for someone with oily/very oily skin.

Even in the correct shade for me - which might be 'Light-Medium', this is not moisturizing enough. Sure I could use a moisturizer under ... but trying to limit the amount of products on my skin. I like my skin to look moisturized/somewhat dewy - but the look was very matte and lifeless.

So gave to sis who has oily skin. The shade is probably too light for her too ... but she can see if she likes the texture.

I'm back to my Smashbox Tinted Moisturizer spf15 and Lancome Bienfait Multi-Vital Teinte SPF 30. The Lancome is heavier than the Smashbox TM, but has a nice glow (compared to Smashbox BB).

on 5/6/2012 9:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I am not really a huge foundation fan but this stuff goes on super easy and blends really nicely. Stays on all day and keeps shine at bay. I will definitely purchase again.

on 6/28/2012 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I love this BB cream. It makes my routine much, much easier when leaving the house and it makes my skin feel smooth and soft. It lasts all day long without melting off of my face, and for people like me with sensitive skin, it's definitely a keeper.

on 7/8/2012 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I can't attest to the skin-perfecting benefits since I just started using it, but I'm really enjoying it. I have oily, acneic skin that really gives me the bizness in the summer with increased oiliness and breakouts. I have to step up my skincare for sure, yet the last thing I want to do in the sweltering summer heat is put on more makeup. So, my curiosity with BB creams began. It has been said that the Asian BB creams are superior for their skin-perfecting benefits, but I have yet to find one online that is recommended for darker skintones. They rarely, if ever, come in anything other than fair shades. So, for now, the US versions will have to suffice.

I like Smashbox's version because for a whole entire face, I use a little less than pea size. It looks like a full-coverage job because my spots are almost completely concealed! I use the color dark (MAC NC45/Revlon Caramel) and it blends into my skin perfectly. Moreover, this BB cream is definitely for oilier skins because it absorbs oil unlike anything else I've tried that is supposedly geared for oily skin. My skin looks perfect after 5 hours without 1 blot, and that is not normally my life.

My process: With my pea size amount, I dot my forehead, chin and both cheeks, and apply with my fingers in a smoothing fashion. At this point, I waste about 5 minutes admiring how evened out my complexion looks. Next, I may or may not apply undereye concealer. Lastly, I dust on BareMinerals Tinted Mineral Veil. Or, when I want more coverage, I will apply a light layer of foundation over it, then the mineral veil. Wow, it still looks like skin!

I hope to update with how it has improved my skin with hopefully nothing negative to say because I am pleased thus far. The price prevented me from buying sooner though because for $38, all you get is 1 oz. However, it seems like it's going to last a long time since I use so little.

UPDATE: This is now going to be a permanent part of my makeup routine because it is so versatile. I can use it alone after my skincare with just a light dust of powder to set. Or, I can use it as a primer underneath a full coverage foundation job. I didn't expect it to benefit my skin, since the USA versions are known to be just tinted moisturizers. However, my skin does improve with use. How you may ask? The sunscreen allows any areas of hyperpigmentation to tone and clear faster. I'm really glad I took the plunge. By the way, I am still using the same tube since I first wrote this review a year later.

on 8/23/2012 11:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I have mixed feelings about this.. By itself, it settled in under my eyes and in my laugh lines. It felt thick on my face, but didn't offer a lot of coverage for how thick it felt. BUT, with primer underneath and setting powder on top, I actually really liked it and it held up amazingly well in this scorching weather we had this summer. I was quite surprised. My skin is so dry, that it over oils itself. This cream seemed unphased by my excess oil, as it showed up on a blotting sheet that I used out of curiousity but my face never looked shiny. I honestly thought I'd have no oil on the sheet. It was well hidden. And for that, I will keep it in my makeup bag, maybe for emergencies or in a pinch. Probably won't buy again, unless I have the cash to throw around.

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I like this American BB a lot, I'm half Japanese but the Asian BB's are too grey for me. This BB has a high SPF which I love, I have combination skin oily T zone and dry cheeks, it keeps my T zone matte and doesn't dry out my cheeks or cake up on them. Coverage is moderate, enough to cover my redness and purplish flat acne scars with one coat and doesn't end up looking heavy or unnatural like I think a lot of foundations end up looking. The price is high for the amount but a little goes a long way and it provides more coverage than the other BB's I've tried, Clinique, Too Faced, Garnier, Skin 79. I don't skip my moisturizer but I do skip primer, sun screen, concealer and foundation so a big time and money saver I'll purchase again. I'm a NW35 and wear light/medium for reference.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I'm a little biased because I never tried a bb cream BUT that's due to lack of yellow tones in other bb's. So that being said, this stuff is pretty decent. I do get oily but I like that it matches me well. NC30 color I bought light. However, if you have really light skin I believe you might have some issues finding a correct shade. They are limited. I do set it with either my banana powder or elf hd powder. It's perfect when I get lazy and I don't want to mix in my sunscreen with foundation and put a primer on.

I don't usually write reviews on products, but I've been reading a lot of them lately and felt I needed to write a review of this product. This product is pretty expensive for the quality. Luckily, I got it in the SmashBox trial kit and didn't pay for a full sized product. I have acne prone skin at 28 (errghhh) and thought this would be nice for light coverage during the day just running around.....I was wrong. This made my blemishes stand out even more than without makeup. It intensified my pores and blemishes and made me look horrible. Many people have raved about this product, but I would NOT recommend it for people with those small white bumps you get or large pores. It just made my face look like a mess and I would definitely not repurchase this product. It may work great if you have perfect skin, but if you get any blemishes on a regular basis, I would stay away from the Smashbox BB cream at all costs....especially the cost of this product. Sorry, I love the primer and mascaras, but this is just NOT for me.