L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Smoldering Eyeliner

2.8

on 11/8/2018 6:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I've never found anything from L'Oreal that I have liked. I keep trying them because people say they are good and I'm hoping maybe my past flops from the brand were flukes but that does not seem to be my experience.

I wanted to try a kohl liner, this looked appealing in the store, it came with a sharpener, and it was on sale: brilliant! This stupid thing was useless to me. It did not work as a kohl product, it did not work as an eyeliner, it did not work in the waterline. It was possibly the driest and hardest kohl liner I've tried to date. The cap stays on securely so I'm not sure why it seemed so crumbly but whatever. I'm glad I did not buy this at full price but I'm disappointed I wasted money on another L'Oreal product.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have Voluminous Smoldering Eyeliner in Black; other colours include Brown & Grey. It costs $9 at Ulta, but it's on sale for $5. Like it advertises, it does glide easily & the black colour is very intense. If you're new to wearing makeup or just someone who has a little trouble applying eyeliner, I think this is a good starting one because it's creamy & easy to apply. This particular pencil is good whether you like simple thin lines or dramatic thick ones. I like using it to create thin lines & wearing it on my waterline… unfortunately, & I'm not sure if it's my oily/very oily skin, but I find that this just doesn't last long on my eyes. It fades throughout the day, smudges, & runs. Having to stop & reapply makeup is such a big pet peeve of mine—I don't like makeup that doesn't wear long. I'm on my second pencil & nothing I do can seem to make it last, so even though this is one of the best products for clean & super-pigmented lines, I won't be buying another one. If you don't have oily lids, you should check it out though!

Update: I've now read that people with normal skin are also saying that the staying power is no good, so maybe it's not my skin type; I guess it's just the creamy formula

on 2/25/2012 1:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is gunna be my second bad review. Lemme just say upfront if you have a problem with any other kind of eyeliner "melting and smearing" on you...DO NOT buy this one (hello raccoon eyes). Yes it smudges easily and the formula is really silky and glides on effortlessly. Too bad it doesn't stay where you place it, no matter what. I would not recommend this to anyone. Save your money or buy something else.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I have this in the Brown shade and it's a very dark, espresso, almost-black brown which is what I like because my eyes are very dark brown and lighter brown eyeliner looks strange on me (black eyeliner just makes me look like a floozy). It's soft enough to go on easily with no tugging, but it may be just a smidge too soft because it does smudge after a few hours of wear and if I use a smudger brush to smudge the line when I apply, it basically just smudges off completely. It is a deep color so I see why the "Smoldering" name is appropriate. I like the color so much that I would probably repurchase.