L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Smoldering Eyeliner

Filtered by age: 36-43
L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Smoldering Eyeliner

3.8

Ack! I lost the sharpener it came with! Luckily I own an old Rimmel oversized JEP sharpener (also useful for Milani, elf, & NYX pencils), but it was kind of them to supply a sharpener! I like this pencil a lot. It's like a fat version of the wnw Color Icon 99¢ pencils but this does not require a cigarette lighter; it's plenty soft & does not tug/pull. This fades neatly, I don't get pandas off this. I have very oily lids & it stays just as well as any other pencil liner. I don't do pencil liners as often as liquid. I got this in a subscription bag. It really IS smoldering, it gives you a sexpot look. I like this w a very pale lip (imagine: MAC Myth). It's not meant to be precise; it's meant to be smudged out to be smoky. I love the size of this liner, it affords me a lot of control. If I ever lost this (or used it up!), I would replace it. It's about the only kajal I really like. I don't like those kajals you don't sharpen that the entire tip is exposed coz I break them off. I guess I just just draw/push hard but I never break off the tip of this pencil. IF I did I would just resharpen it of course. I admit this is 1 of my fave pencils just coz it's so unique. There is nothing out there exactly like this. I tend to wear winged eyeliner (liquid) so this doesn't get as much use as it deserves. $9 is kinda high for a DS product, I hate paying more than $10 for any DS product I find it loathesome. This checks right in at ~$10 w tax but is worth it.

on 1/9/2014 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I got this in a kit in black. It's VERY black and sultry. I love it. It's become one of my favorite liners. Its very soft and easily smoked on the waterline and upper lash-line. I like to tight-line with this pencil because it really gives that look of super full lashes.

I haven't noticed any smudging or smearing. It seems to set after a minute. Gorgeous black and so creamy. I like how the pencil is more chubby and comes very pointed. It's not a self-sharpening pencil though, its a traditional one. Mine came with a sharpener and the False Fiber mascara.

Hard to explain but I like how the tip is very large and you don't need great makeup skills to maneuver the pencil. The tip is described as a "conal kajal tip." When this is smudged out, wow, its very smokey and sexy. Runs about $8.99.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This is an affordable pencil to use for a smudgy smokey eye. I purchased this in brown to do a chocolate smokey eye. Topped with a chocolate matte eye shadow really makes this last for at least ten hours of wear. I do not apply in my bottom lid as it does smudge heavily in that area. Instead I use a waterproof liner in the waterline then use my pencil brush to smudge the chocolate matte shadow in my lash line. Love it and wish there were more colors to pair up with my brown eyes. Will definitely repurchase.

on 10/19/2013 3:16:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I bought this pencil to try out the Eastern smudgy eyeliner look, and...no. Either it's the pencil, or I'm doing it wrong, but it doesn't matter because I still really like this eyeliner!

Most of the time, I just place eyeliner under my upper eyelashes to darken the lashline. Not really the waterline, but there's still a huge potential for irritation. I should suck it up and take the time to tightline with gel eyeliner and a brush, but I'm lazy a lot of the time.

There are really only a couple of pencils I can use, because of where I'm putting the eyeliner. Anything "long wearing" or "waterproof" is likely to cause a filmy feeling on my eye. This eyeliner doesn't irritate my eyes or cause that filmy feeling at all. It's easy to apply, creamy and pigmented, and it stays where I put it just fine. It won't last through tears or rain, and it won't look perfect 24 hours later, but I'm happy with it!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I think some are missing the point of this liner, no pun intended lol :) and/or may go in expecting this to be more than it is. My understanding is that it's supposed to be smudgy; a kajal-kohl liner for dark exotic smoky eyes like you see in Bollywood. It is not a long-last type by any means but it does an amazing job of being a deep matte smoky-smudgy black, very exotic looking without turning grey or blue or fading into nothingness. After I smudge it in and blend, it lasts quite awhile unless my eyes start watering profusely or it gets wet, then it will run. Then again, I don't think it ever claimed to be waterproof or water-resistant or 24 hours or 'Infallible' or anything and it's not, but that is fine since I have others for that purpose. This is like an improved version of BeneFit's BadGal, which was a lot more greasy in texture than this and literally smudged right off when trying to blend, and this is on the dry side. It doesn't tug or pull when applying though, which is great. The included sharpener is great too, but I really wish it had a smudger on the other end for when I don't want to carry around a brush to smudge it out, blend it in or apply e/s over to change up the look. I don't think it really needs e/s to set , but it's fun to play with the different looks doing that can create by using different e/s over the top.

I was already loving it as a smoky liner but what really surprised and impressed me about this is it actually lasts on my waterline longer than any other, even those that claim to be waterproof, and gels. (speaking of which I also picked up the L'Oreal Infallible gel-cream liner in Blackest Black as the other part of this BOGO hoping to replace BlackTrack as my go-to black gel liner- will report on how it worked for after I test it a bit more). For this one, first I dry off my waterline with a q-tip to get it to stick better, apply straight from the pencil tip and done. I wore it all night the day I got it run and didn't have any migrating "goop" in the inner corners of my eyes like some tend to to on the w/l and it also didn't flake off or wear off in patches like most do on me, and it wore evenly all night and looked amazing. I like that it has no sparkle or shimmer to irriate my eyes or get in my contacts too. Even my husband noticed and complimented how "amazingly hot" this looked which so this tells me this is a keeper :) Granted, my lids are generally on the dry, not oily side, so YMMV as to the wear time and application but for me, this is my go-to black smudgy smoky eye liner, waterline and regular. I would love to see a couple more colors like a navy, a dark green or deep olive, a purple, in addition to the grey and brown shades they already have. continued >>

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Coarse

I have this in both the brown and grey shades and love them both. I love the thick, smudgy line it produces with no dragging, skipping or tugging, and it lasts quite nicely if topped with a powder. I will definitely repurchase and plan on picking up the violet one next.

on 11/19/2012 3:29:00 PM

I saw this at CVS and I had to have it! I was really pleased with how well it went on, so smooth and even. However, after an hour, it was smeared all over my eye lids and below my eyes. I should've expected this as I have oily lids but I was hoping... So disappointed, this is a nice pencil to use, too bad there's no staying power to it.

on 11/1/2012 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

Good day! I am posting this review written by my cousin this morning. She's not in the community but I just wanted to share-it's great! :-)

So…anyone who knows me WELL KNOWS that the ONE thing I will NEVER give up regardless of the trends that come and go, is my SIGNATURE JOAN JETT EYELINER. I have no problem ignoring the “um, you do know it’s almost 2013…not 1987 right?” comments. That’s why when I stopped at CVS yesterday, I splurged on a L’Oreal Voluminous Smoldering Eyeliner…I mean, how could this be a bad purchase? After all, the ad says that it “adds INTENSE black definition to your eye resulting in a look that goes from everyday to exotic”. In fact, the color isn’t just black – it’s INTENSE BLACK. AND…it promised to GLIDE on easily. Okie-dokie…sounds like a no-brainer to me.

I couldn’t wait to get ready for work this morning. I woke up all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed (eagerly anticipating how I’d soon be INTENSELY bright-eyed with my new makeup pencil). I have to admit that it was extremely exciting (right up there with the giddy feeling that envelops me whenever I purchase wine). Anyway…I finish the morning routine and my makeup is absolutely flawless. I am not even slightly exaggerating! My eyes are, indeed as promised, “SMOLDERING”.

I feel like a million bucks (even with my cane ladies) AND…because I’m wearing riding boots I have a little more pep in the step than usual – I feel like I’m on the cusp of my old sassy self…YEAH!

WHOO HOOOO…Can it get any better than this?

Well, as I was wondering what AWESOME INCIDENT would next cross my path, I decided to look again at my beautiful eyes. So I open the cute little jewel box I keep at my desk – the one with the mirror inside. It has followed me for years to several jobs and has been a good friend…letting me know if/when I need to powder my nose or get the floss pick quick……why not let her share in this rare moment of admiring the exquisite beauty of my smoky eye???

(INTERLUDE) I must pause at this point to try to find the words to describe what was reflected just a few moments ago…

…to my HORRIFYING CHAGRIN my perfectly applied eyeliner looked quite different from what I had last seen as I left my house at 7:30 am. For now, it somehow had morphed into making me appear as though I had let a 3 year old make up my face this morning! I kid you not when I say that Bette Davis’ portrayal of Jane Hudson in “What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?” by comparison looks like her makeup was airbrushed by a professional artist.

Without photos, the only way I can even try to communicate this repugnant eyeliner debacle is to say that it had “bled”… (you know, the way old lady’s too red lipstick does) - that’s right, as if the dark circles under my eyes weren’t bad enough on their own, now they were more INTENSELY shadowed

(SECOND INTERLUDE) pausing again, this time to stop myself from vomiting as I recount the morning. (I’m actually short of breath at the moment).

Now, I know you all mean well and that my beloved family members and friends are thinking “oh, Susan…it couldn’t be THAT bad”. Well, perhaps I’d agree IF I HADN’T MADE IT MY MISSION TO SPEAK TO JUST ABOUT EVERYONE IN THE FREAKIN’ OFFICE.

OH YEAH…I was feeling so great that I thought “why sit at your desk ALL DAY yet again…go speak to people…today’s a great day…your outfit is cute, you don’t need the cane and…………………………….YOUR EYES LOOK INCREDIBLE!

And they did…........INCREDIBLY SMUDGED.

Moral of this story: Don’t make impulse makeup purchases at CVS (especially when the 99 cent Wet ‘n Wild eyeliner you have at home has been doing a beautiful job).
In other words: IF IT AIN’T BROKE, DON’T FIX IT ;-)

I have the brown and it IS dark, similar to Lancome Black Coffee and Sue Devitt's Kenya for me. But much more affordable and would repurchase for that reason mainly! So far it seems to wear well.

I like it. I use it. However, I don't like it enough or use it enough to ever buy it again. That's all that I will say about it.