As I Am - Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner

As I Am - Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner

4.3

Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificada, Purified) Extracts: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) and Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine)¹, Cetyl Alcohol², Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol², PEG-40 Castor Oil, Stearlkonium chloride, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil², Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil¹, Phytosterols¹, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract¹, Quaternium-18, Potassium Sorbate, Fragrance/Parfum, Limonene, Methylisothiazolinone.

on 9/30/2016 11:51:00 PM

I almost gave this a 4 but honestly I have tried WEN (all types), other cowash's like Pantene and more natural ones I could find at Target for example. I tried this about 6 months ago and keep going back to it. For the price you can't beat it! I will use this and then a regular shampoo maybe 1x a week or every other week depending how my hair and scalp feels. I think the trick is to leave it in and massage through hair and down the shaft for about 5 minutes. I also condition my hair after but that is because my hair is so Coarse and dark with light highlights. I have bought more of this than Redken, WEN, or any other shampoo combined. In general I feel good about using this over shampoo because it cleans without stripping. I also work out so I get sweaty and want to feel clean without stripping. Love it. Try it. Return if you don't like it you have nothing to lose. And the price is awesome. I get it at Target.

on 8/27/2016 9:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I struggled with the cleansing conditioner. It did not have enough slip for my hair and my scalp was always a little bit gunky even after using this product. The container is rather larger and you get quite a bit of product for a good price. Unfortunately, because of it size it is awkward to use in the shower and water can get in and contaminate the product. I gifted the rest of this conditioner to my roommate and she really loves it and has purchased other jars. Just goes to show YMMV!

on 8/2/2016 9:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I have 2c/3a hair, and I was wary of trying a co-wash because i wasn't sure it would clean my hair & scalp and not weigh my hair down. This has worked great for me, even when I could've used a traditional shampoo. I love the scent and the price is do-able. I saw this in my local Walgreens for $9. My only beef is with the container. The tub is bulky and hard to deal with (and if any product gets on the outside, it gets very slippery). Another reviewer had the right idea to put it in some kind of squeeze bottle (this will make it easier to travel with, as well).

on 5/22/2016 2:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have curly hair and this stuff is great. As far as the packaging goes, I bought a cheap condiment squeeze bottle for it. The co-wash is thin enough to pour into the mouth of the bottle, then put the lid on and squeeze out what you need.

The smell is nice - reminds me of the beach! :)

Love this cowash. I actually works so well for my hair that I don't need to flat iron it. It smells nice. Hair feels clean, silky and soft. MUCH cheaper than wen.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This is the best cowash I have ever used, it left my hair soft, supple and with tremendous slip. I will repurchase certainly. Make sure to thoroughly saturate your hair and leave the product in for the rest of your shower. I actually put my hair in a bun after the product is thoroughly distributed. I rinse after 7-10 minutes with cool water. I know it isn't pleasant however it does seal the cuticle. The only problem I have with this product is the packaging. The jar doesn't work so well. A pump would definitely work better!

I really love this cleansing conditioner. I have been using this for the last 1.5 months with superb results. I now have soft manageable hair. It is a must try.

Update 1/22/16: I have continued to use this cleansing conditioner for few more weeks and I am still very pleased. I have tried several different cleansing conditioners and this is my favorite by a wide margin. If you don't know where to start on your health hair journey I recommend starting with this fantastic hair product. PS- I have not felt the need to clarify my hair yet. I did not add a new silicone hair serum so I will update how well it removes buildup in several more weeks.

Update: 2/6/16: Still my favorite hair cleanser. My hair has never been in such great shape. Sally Beauty has buy two get one sales every so often and that is when I stock up.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I just bought this yesterday so, I feel like I haven't used it quite enough for a solid review...I'll try to update my thoughts on it after a few more washes.

So far, here are my first impressions:

I hate the container...I have a tiny shower with tiny ledges and this large tub won't fit in my shower caddy...trying to balance the lid and the tub and scoop out conditioner makes for an interesting showering experience to say the least.

The actual cowash smells wonderful! It has a very creamy coconut smell that isn't perfumey or overpowering. It reminds me of Suave Tropical Coconut but better somehow like the sweetness of the coconut is balanced out by a light vanilla scent.

The slip of the conditioner is great. It's thick enough that I feel like it really coats my hair and soaks in well but it's not so thick that I feel like I can't detangle my 2c curls in the shower. I have thick, very dry, wavy/curly hair. My curls are loose and not tight, about the size of sidewalk chalk.

I was afraid this product was going to be too heavy for my hair. I have a lot of hair but it's fine/medium texture which can sometimes be weighed down...for example, I can't use coconut oil as a styler but I can use it to prepoo.

My hair dried nicely, my curls were a little looser than normal. I think it's because I didn't use gel to seal my curl cream. My scalp felt really clean as if I had used shampoo but not dry and itchy.

Overall, I really like it. I'm going to use it again this morning and see what the results are. I've gotten away from cowashing because I couldn't find a consistent conditioner but with products like this cowash, I'm excited to try the CG method again!

Btw, I bought mine at Sally's. It was $10 with tax. Not too bad but if you need to use a lot of product for your hair, it's a little pricey. Target also carries this, not sure how much it is there.

on 9/3/2015 2:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have long thin dry 2c/3a curly hair. I only wash my hair twice a week and rinse with water once a week since my hair is prone to breakage and split ends. I bought this product because I thought it would moisturize my hair more than my regular shampoo and I ket hearing that it has great slip, which would prevent excessive stretching and damage to the hair shaft while washing. I began to use it twice a week and massaged it through the roots just as the tub instructed to do. I do admit that it smells nice and it does clean the hair well. For me, a little too well. I actually noticed after the first time I used it that my hair felt more dry than normal, even after I used my conditioner. So for me it didn't moisturize at all. I could have used suave and gotten the same results. It didnt even have good slip for me. I had to use way too much of it to make my fingers run through hair and I've never had that problem before. My hair may be dry but it rarely tangles like this. I kept using it for 3 months to give it a fair chance and nothing changed. My hair stayed more dry than normal so much so that my hair dresser asked me what I had done to my hair!
I know there's great reviews and I'm sure that it works wonderful for some people but not for my type of hair.

on 8/31/2015 12:57:00 AM

So far really liking this cowash. Prior to this I have just used Wen in Fig in the past, which I did like too but of course I started looking for a cheaper alternative and found this at Sally's on sale for $6.99. I read all the rave reviews so I was excited to try it.

After not washing my hair 5 days prior it was finally time. My hair was gross and oily at that point so I was kind of worried this would make my hair feel greasy or unclean but luckily that wasn't the case.

I am caucasian and naturally have straight fine hair prior to bleaching. The past year I have bleached my hair to get it basically white so I could put pastel dyes in it. To go from dark brown to this white, lots of damage occurred along the way, especially last time I lightened it which was about a month ago. My hair is now thick (hair shaft swollen from the bleach) and it's super dry, unruly and very prone to breakage especially when wet. Finally I put regular shampoo away and switched to cowashing and its helped a lot. It was a last ditch effort before just shaving my head and starting new again.

After washing my hair with this, its left incredibly soft again and has helped make the dry damaged frizzy parts look and feel healthy again. I do use a leave in protein conditioner after that is free of silicones to help add more moisture and protection to my hair but I could easily comb my hair out after using just this and it's not in a gummy mess as it was before. After one wash I could notice a difference in my hair and I wasn't in tears watching it (and hearing it) snap off as I tried to blow dry it (my bad hair vice.) Now I just can't keep my hands out of my hair because it's left so soft. It's no longer crunchy - it's soundless and sooo soft! I am left with a little less volume than the Wen but I'll take this softness and moisture any day!

I like the coconut scent and am so glad it doesn't have menthol in it (which I didn't like about Wen.) I just wish it came in a bottle instead of a tub but I am thinking I might just go to Sally's and see if there is a bottle I can transfer it into... otherwise emptying one of my old shampoo bottles I no longer use will do the trick.