As I Am - Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner

As I Am - Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner

4.3

Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificada, Purified) Extracts: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) and Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine)¹, Cetyl Alcohol², Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol², PEG-40 Castor Oil, Stearlkonium chloride, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil², Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil¹, Phytosterols¹, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract¹, Quaternium-18, Potassium Sorbate, Fragrance/Parfum, Limonene, Methylisothiazolinone.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I have 4a hair that I have worn at various lengths over the past fifteen years. This product is an effective cleansing conditioner that that removed 3-4 days' worth of buildup without drying out my hair. I was able to use it to both wash and detangle my hair effectively, with I appreciate.

However, I hated the generic coconut flowery scent of this product. It lingered for hours, even after rinsing it out! Also, I didn't like how I had to dig my fingers into the jar while in the shower. This would be better in a squeeze tube.

I originally sampled this at my cousin's house, but I didn't enjoy it enough to purchase a jar of my own.

on 8/5/2018 9:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

At first, I had high hopes for this. I had pretty much givin up on CO washing for my uber fine waves, I was always going to have to be the people in the CG routine who need to use sulfate free shampoo. But after my first wash with this, my curls were thinner than usual, but very defined. My crown was a bit flatter than usual too (like hippie chick flat). But I kept on trying it because the curl definition was there...I thought "if I push through it will happen". It didn't. Every time I used this, same great curl definition for like a minute (all other parts of my routine were the same...I just used this in place of shampoo & rinse out conditioner). Second day hair was impossible. I look like Captain Cave Man. Even on the great definition day...there was also this frizz halo too. Second day hair was all frizz and craziness. My hair feels softer than it usually does with coconut products, but second day hair was still wirey. The As I Am worked enough to suck me in...and if you use it every day...I could maybe work with it. But I don't want to wash every day...my color can't take that. The first wash with my sulfate free shampoo and regular routine, my hair had all of its body and bounce back. Still a bit of frizz cuz I live in the south & it is HUMID. But my hair feels soft and flexible again.

So if your hair responds to CO washing....try this! I am even encouraging my husband to try this for dryness on his scalp (we will see how that works out...but I have hope). If your hair responds to coconut...try this. But if like me and you have those super fine wavy, barely curly locks and have never had real luck with co washing....this will probably take you down the same path as the other stuff you have tried. It did feel like one of the better CO washing products I have used though, so that is why it gets an average rating.

on 2/22/2018 11:18:00 AM

I have very fine wavy hair, and I never thought this product would work, but I love it. I rotate this with sulphate free shampoo, but my waves always look best when I use this, and my hair is clean when I use this. I tried to do CG a few years ago, but my hormones were out of control and my hair was extremely oily, I had to wash every day with regular shampoo, and even the sulphate free shampoos didn’t make my hair feel clean. Now, I’m much less oily ( but my scalp isn’t dry, just a little more normal) and this works great for me.

I have this & the leave in. They are awesome I’ll def rebuy but for now it’s cleaning out my shower using up half used products. My hair feels and looks great after I use this. I’m a cowasher most of the time except when I’m using devacurl stuff. I would definitely rec’d this brand of cowash as well as cantu cowash but the packaging has its advantages you can get every last bit of product out of the tub. That makes this frugal gal’s heart sing. #winning

on 1/16/2018 9:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have always been super dubious about co-washing. I thought it would leave my hair greasy or limp or otherwise blah. Unfortunately my scalp had other ideas thanks to a combination of super dry weather and a bad reaction to high pH shampoos. My scalp was a dry, flakey mess, and in my desperation I decided to give co-washing a try. And hey! What people have been saying about how wonderful and not-greasy co-washing is for all these years is actually true! Even when I get lazy and let my hair go a day or two too long between washing and my hair gets funky this cleans it up just as well as using a traditional shampoo & conditioner combo would. But it really is just as easy as could be. All I have to do is wet my hair, massage a generous amount of this co-wash into my scalp and through the length of my hair, let it sit for 5-10 minutes and then rinse out. I skip leave-in's if I'm air drying and my hair is basically perfect; soft, silky, full of bounce, and not at all frizzy. I wish this came w/ a pump top, but meh. It's not going to stop me from repurchasing.

on 12/27/2017 4:59:00 PM

Just finished my first tub of this and really liked it. I have been attempting CG for a few months now and am about ready to give up on it. However, this was one of the products that I really like. It made my hair feel clean but not stripped of moisture

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Hair type: 2c/3a curls/waves. Fine, thin. Shoulder length.

Packaging: I gave it a 2/5. While it's nice being able to scoop out all the product and not waste any, the jar can be annoying. Have to be super careful so that water doesn't get inside or that you don't drop it. Would much prefer it to be in a squeeze tube.

Price: I get this for about $10 at Target. For 16oz it's not the cheapest, however I definitely think it's worth the price.

I love this cowash. It was recommended to me on Hair Board about 9 months ago by several people. It's the first cowash I've ever tried. When I finished my first tub, I tried a few other cowashes, but nothing compares to this. This has great slip, and is easy to massage into my scalp. It actually gets my hair clean while keeping it soft and moisturized. Makes my hair so much easier to detangle. It doesn't weigh my hair down at all (which is impressive because my hair can get limp/dull very easily). It has a nice faint scent but it goes away once you rinse it out. The ingredients are clean, simple, and good; nothing artificial or chemical. One tub of this lasts me about 3 months (using it every 3 days).
I highly recommend this product! It truly is amazing.

on 9/30/2016 11:51:00 PM

I almost gave this a 4 but honestly I have tried WEN (all types), other cowash's like Pantene and more natural ones I could find at Target for example. I tried this about 6 months ago and keep going back to it. For the price you can't beat it! I will use this and then a regular shampoo maybe 1x a week or every other week depending how my hair and scalp feels. I think the trick is to leave it in and massage through hair and down the shaft for about 5 minutes. I also condition my hair after but that is because my hair is so Coarse and dark with light highlights. I have bought more of this than Redken, WEN, or any other shampoo combined. In general I feel good about using this over shampoo because it cleans without stripping. I also work out so I get sweaty and want to feel clean without stripping. Love it. Try it. Return if you don't like it you have nothing to lose. And the price is awesome. I get it at Target.

on 8/27/2016 9:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I struggled with the cleansing conditioner. It did not have enough slip for my hair and my scalp was always a little bit gunky even after using this product. The container is rather larger and you get quite a bit of product for a good price. Unfortunately, because of it size it is awkward to use in the shower and water can get in and contaminate the product. I gifted the rest of this conditioner to my roommate and she really loves it and has purchased other jars. Just goes to show YMMV!

on 8/2/2016 9:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I have 2c/3a hair, and I was wary of trying a co-wash because i wasn't sure it would clean my hair & scalp and not weigh my hair down. This has worked great for me, even when I could've used a traditional shampoo. I love the scent and the price is do-able. I saw this in my local Walgreens for $9. My only beef is with the container. The tub is bulky and hard to deal with (and if any product gets on the outside, it gets very slippery). Another reviewer had the right idea to put it in some kind of squeeze bottle (this will make it easier to travel with, as well).