As I Am - Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner

As I Am - Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner

4.4

Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificada, Purified) Extracts: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) and Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine)¹, Cetyl Alcohol², Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol², PEG-40 Castor Oil, Stearlkonium chloride, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil², Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil¹, Phytosterols¹, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract¹, Quaternium-18, Potassium Sorbate, Fragrance/Parfum, Limonene, Methylisothiazolinone.

on 5/22/2016 2:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have curly hair and this stuff is great. As far as the packaging goes, I bought a cheap condiment squeeze bottle for it. The co-wash is thin enough to pour into the mouth of the bottle, then put the lid on and squeeze out what you need.

The smell is nice - reminds me of the beach! :)

Love this cowash. I actually works so well for my hair that I don't need to flat iron it. It smells nice. Hair feels clean, silky and soft. MUCH cheaper than wen.

To Read all 50 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This is the best cowash I have ever used, it left my hair soft, supple and with tremendous slip. I will repurchase certainly. Make sure to thoroughly saturate your hair and leave the product in for the rest of your shower. I actually put my hair in a bun after the product is thoroughly distributed. I rinse after 7-10 minutes with cool water. I know it isn't pleasant however it does seal the cuticle. The only problem I have with this product is the packaging. The jar doesn't work so well. A pump would definitely work better!

I really love this cleansing conditioner. I have been using this for the last 1.5 months with superb results. I now have soft manageable hair. It is a must try.

Update 1/22/16: I have continued to use this cleansing conditioner for few more weeks and I am still very pleased. I have tried several different cleansing conditioners and this is my favorite by a wide margin. If you don't know where to start on your health hair journey I recommend starting with this fantastic hair product. PS- I have not felt the need to clarify my hair yet. I did not add a new silicone hair serum so I will update how well it removes buildup in several more weeks.

Update: 2/6/16: Still my favorite hair cleanser. My hair has never been in such great shape. Sally Beauty has buy two get one sales every so often and that is when I stock up.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I just bought this yesterday so, I feel like I haven't used it quite enough for a solid review...I'll try to update my thoughts on it after a few more washes.

So far, here are my first impressions:

I hate the container...I have a tiny shower with tiny ledges and this large tub won't fit in my shower caddy...trying to balance the lid and the tub and scoop out conditioner makes for an interesting showering experience to say the least.

The actual cowash smells wonderful! It has a very creamy coconut smell that isn't perfumey or overpowering. It reminds me of Suave Tropical Coconut but better somehow like the sweetness of the coconut is balanced out by a light vanilla scent.

The slip of the conditioner is great. It's thick enough that I feel like it really coats my hair and soaks in well but it's not so thick that I feel like I can't detangle my 2c curls in the shower. I have thick, very dry, wavy/curly hair. My curls are loose and not tight, about the size of sidewalk chalk.

I was afraid this product was going to be too heavy for my hair. I have a lot of hair but it's fine/medium texture which can sometimes be weighed down...for example, I can't use coconut oil as a styler but I can use it to prepoo.

My hair dried nicely, my curls were a little looser than normal. I think it's because I didn't use gel to seal my curl cream. My scalp felt really clean as if I had used shampoo but not dry and itchy.

Overall, I really like it. I'm going to use it again this morning and see what the results are. I've gotten away from cowashing because I couldn't find a consistent conditioner but with products like this cowash, I'm excited to try the CG method again!

Btw, I bought mine at Sally's. It was $10 with tax. Not too bad but if you need to use a lot of product for your hair, it's a little pricey. Target also carries this, not sure how much it is there.

on 9/3/2015 2:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have long thin dry 2c/3a curly hair. I only wash my hair twice a week and rinse with water once a week since my hair is prone to breakage and split ends. I bought this product because I thought it would moisturize my hair more than my regular shampoo and I ket hearing that it has great slip, which would prevent excessive stretching and damage to the hair shaft while washing. I began to use it twice a week and massaged it through the roots just as the tub instructed to do. I do admit that it smells nice and it does clean the hair well. For me, a little too well. I actually noticed after the first time I used it that my hair felt more dry than normal, even after I used my conditioner. So for me it didn't moisturize at all. I could have used suave and gotten the same results. It didnt even have good slip for me. I had to use way too much of it to make my fingers run through hair and I've never had that problem before. My hair may be dry but it rarely tangles like this. I kept using it for 3 months to give it a fair chance and nothing changed. My hair stayed more dry than normal so much so that my hair dresser asked me what I had done to my hair!
I know there's great reviews and I'm sure that it works wonderful for some people but not for my type of hair.

on 8/31/2015 12:57:00 AM

So far really liking this cowash. Prior to this I have just used Wen in Fig in the past, which I did like too but of course I started looking for a cheaper alternative and found this at Sally's on sale for $6.99. I read all the rave reviews so I was excited to try it.

After not washing my hair 5 days prior it was finally time. My hair was gross and oily at that point so I was kind of worried this would make my hair feel greasy or unclean but luckily that wasn't the case.

I am caucasian and naturally have straight fine hair prior to bleaching. The past year I have bleached my hair to get it basically white so I could put pastel dyes in it. To go from dark brown to this white, lots of damage occurred along the way, especially last time I lightened it which was about a month ago. My hair is now thick (hair shaft swollen from the bleach) and it's super dry, unruly and very prone to breakage especially when wet. Finally I put regular shampoo away and switched to cowashing and its helped a lot. It was a last ditch effort before just shaving my head and starting new again.

After washing my hair with this, its left incredibly soft again and has helped make the dry damaged frizzy parts look and feel healthy again. I do use a leave in protein conditioner after that is free of silicones to help add more moisture and protection to my hair but I could easily comb my hair out after using just this and it's not in a gummy mess as it was before. After one wash I could notice a difference in my hair and I wasn't in tears watching it (and hearing it) snap off as I tried to blow dry it (my bad hair vice.) Now I just can't keep my hands out of my hair because it's left so soft. It's no longer crunchy - it's soundless and sooo soft! I am left with a little less volume than the Wen but I'll take this softness and moisture any day!

I like the coconut scent and am so glad it doesn't have menthol in it (which I didn't like about Wen.) I just wish it came in a bottle instead of a tub but I am thinking I might just go to Sally's and see if there is a bottle I can transfer it into... otherwise emptying one of my old shampoo bottles I no longer use will do the trick.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

This product is like heaven in a jar. This is suitable for all hair types but it's like a savor for those with drier hair. It makes your hair feel squeaky clean without stripling it (putting most shampoos to shame) The consistency is super creamy with a ton of slip. It's a multipurpose product that cleanses, moisturizes and detangles all in once. I always follow up with a conditioner but it isn't really necessary. Did I mention how amazing it smells?! It definitely lives up to its name. Coconut is right. I apply it to my hair like a perm applying it to roots of my hair and massaging it in. This is totally different than just using a regularl conditioner to cleanse. As I mentioned before your hair will be left squeaky clean. My only con with this product is the packaging I would have preferred a squeeze bottle or pump(the jar can be a bit messy).But that isn't a deal breaker for me. I just dispense the jar into bottles with a pump to make it easier. No matter where i put it it always seem to drop and product splatters all over the place. You get so much product with this jar and a little goes a long way. I've been using this over 2 years and will continue.

on 7/17/2015 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Being as it is my first co wash I cannot compare it to anything really. But I do think it does a good job. It cleanses my moderately dirty hair. It moisturizes it also. I would buy it again, but I want to also try different co-washes.

My hair is fine, 2A, chest length - but I have a LOT of hair.

I color using permanent color (Garnier Nutrisse) with root touch-up every six weeks. Because my hair is neither straight nor wavy, I straighten it using a flatiron. Prior to trying cowash cleansing conditioners, I'd shampoo & condition (rinse out conditioner) my hair once a week.

I became interested in cowash conditioners when I realized it might be my use of shampoo that was contributing to my hair issues by drying it out. Although my hair always looked great the day I shampooed/straightened, all I had to do was sleep on it one night and the next day, my hair would be quite frizzy and "bent" from about the level of my ears down to the ends. That would require me to pull out my flatiron again, which of course dried out my hair further. (When you stop and think about it, you might realize the "problems" you have with your hair, that are forcing you to use different products and appliances to "correct," are actually CAUSED by the products and appliances you've been using to correct them).

After doing quite a bit of research on cowashing, I decided to try As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner. Following the advice I found on a forum, I applied the product to my damp hair, then proceeded to VIGOROUSLY massage the product into my scalp, roots, and length for a full five minutes. (Five minutes is a long time; I set the timer on my cell phone to ensure I wasn't short-changing the process). When I didn't do the five minute vigorous massage, my hair was greasy after rinsing and drying.

One important bit of information I learned in my research is the molecules in cowash conditioners are too large to enter the hair shaft straight out of the bottle (or, in this case, jar). By vigorously massaging the product for a full five minutes, you break down those molecules, allowing them to get inside the hair shaft and lift out the dirt and oils. As a matter of fact, I noticed the texture of the product changes while you're massaging it - changing from the slick, slippery feel of a conditioner to more of a foam (not like a shampoo-type foam, but close).

After my five-minute massage, I rinsed using warm water (thoroughly!), then poured a mixture of 2 Tbls, apple cider vinegar diluted in two cups water over my hair, and rinsed again.

End result? Once dried and straightened, my hair looked and felt JUST AS CLEAN as if I had used shampoo.

I have continued to use the As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner instead of shampoo, following my once-a-week washing schedule. I do NOT find my hair gets oily sooner using this product than when I use shampoo. I have found my hair is not as dry and doesn't need as much touch-up with the flatiron between washings as when I used shampoo, but this isn't a miracle fix. Hair is dead, after all. I'll have to wait until all the damaged length grows out and is cut off before my hair behaves the way I want it to between washings.

For those of you who are having issues with the jar packaging, just use a spoon to scoop the amount of product you need into a plastic disposable cup prior to hopping in the shower. That way you won't have to worry about wet, slippery hands dropping the open jar!

Edited 4/26/2016:

Nine months after writing my original review, I am still using As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner exclusively. Same schedule/same routine; washing once a week for a full five minutes, warm water rinse, followed by apple cider vinegar/water rinse and final rinse with warm water. My hair hasn't looked and felt this healthy for years!

In addition to giving up on shampoo completely, I also ceased using any hair products containing silicones. The only products I use (other than As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner) is Phyto 9 Ultra-Dry Hair Nourishing Day Cream with 9 Plants (daily) and occasionally Phyto Secret de Nuit Intense Hydration Regenerating Night Cream. I apply both products to the last few inches of my hair only.

I've also cut way back on my use of a flatiron (but I've found I don't need to use it as frequently). The areas that were very frizzy in the past are noticeably less so.

As I reminded in my original review, hair is dead, and once damaged, there is no product that will repair the damage - only products that will make it appear less so. The challenge is identifying the products, processes, and appliances causing the damage and eliminating them from your routine as much as possible. Then you have to "wait it out," so to speak, until the damaged hair is replaced by new, undamaged growth (which often means accepting less-than-perfect appearance for awhile, the duration of which is determined by the length of your hair and how quickly it grows).