Birchbox

Birchbox
image 1image 2image 3

2.7

on 7/9/2016 12:09:00 AM

Received my first Birchbox today. I saw what other people received, and my items were completely different, and yes, less desirable. One of my 5 samples was a tiny perfume vial, like you get for free when you order from Sephora! That surprised me. If they really were even vaguely curating these boxes to suit the customer's profile, I'm not sure how they came up with this lot. Anyway, I'm done with them.

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

DO NOT GET BIRCH BOX !! I got this for my wife. She has not received 2 of the 6 boxes owed to her. Cancellation is near impossible.. If you wish to talk to anyone you must submit a request and hope they call you at a good moment. Boxes come at random times, no constancy. The "tayloring quiz" at the beginning meand nothing. My wife has received items that she specifically asked not to get.. Get Ipsy or the Sephora monthly subscription. .. well worth it !

To Read all 77 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got a 6 month gift subscription to Birchbox. I'm four months in and I already know I will not continue my subscription with Birchbox. First of all, some functions on their site NEVER work. Like the "Customize your next month's box", it just takes you to the home page. I think I've figured out though that you have to pay an EXTRA $25 to get first dibs or pick your samples, that's so ridiculous and they should make it more obvious that you have to PAY to customize your box. Secondly, the "track package" never works. Every time I click on the number they give me, it says "invalid tracking, please try again." Then lastly, you get to make a beauty profile about your preferences- It seems like they don't even take that into consideration. All I receive is a bunch stuff not relevant to me that I will never use. I wish there was a way to leave feedback saying that you didn't like that product and don't want to receive one like it again. (Yes I know you can review the product but that only focuses on the brand and effectiveness not on Birchbox sending you stuff you won't use) The only thing I like about Birchbox so far is that if you review samples in your box you get 10 points, which then adds up to money you can spend.

on 1/21/2016 12:42:00 PM

I was gifted 3 months of birchbox. No thank you. I will not be continuing my subscription.
I do not see the point of receiving a bunch of samples over which I have no control. Many of the products they sent I would not consider using. For example, I don't use hair products but you can't opt-out of a category like that.

Each box contains 5 items. Of the 15 items I received, I would maybe consider purchasing 1.
I know what skin care and make up I like, and I buy it when I need it. I much prefer buying from Sephora online and picking the samples individually. Why pay for samples, when you can get them free with a purchase of something you actually want?

The various videos on the website are extremely irritating. Please shoot me if I ever sound like any of those vapid women.

on 11/16/2015 2:04:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Definitely not for everyone. If you are looking for a bargain or a specific kind of product, Birchbox won't give it to you. It is a grab bag of beauty samples. If spending $10 a month on surprise boxes of tiny makeup mystery sounds like fun, go for it!

I'm just entering my 30s and need to shake up my routine. I was buying full sizes of stuff I was just trying out, like daaaark burgundy lipstick and probiotic face wash, after spending a lot of time researching and asking friends for recommendations. Honestly I wasn't getting that far, and I was spending more than $10 a month. So it works for me.

If you review the products they give you points to use in the store. $5 a month you can get back, but the points are used at $10 intervals FYI. I don't figure it into the price I pay a month. More like a nice bonus for feedback.

on 10/13/2015 3:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Personally, I've never had a bad experience with Birchbox. I actually cancelled my Ipsy subscription and went with this. Customer service has always been helpful and fast. With Ipsy, I received gaudy, clown lipstick, and terrible eyeliners. Almost too "childish" for me. Birchbox sends me high quality samples such as perfume, makeup and hair / skin products. No nail polish- YAY! I think I'll keep this one around.

I love everything about this company and their products. You can find almost anything you are looking for with prices that are more than affordable. I once had a product come in that was destroyed by the sun, after a simple email explaining what happened, I received a reply stating their sorry, and due to the circumstances they would gladly ship a replacement. They care about their customers, they do their best to tailor themselves to your needs and wants, and are super easy to get in contact with.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This review is based upon my 1st month. I will update any changes after I receive next month's box.
So far, my experience is absolute garbage. I subscribed towards the end of last month. Since then, I have received at least 3-5 spam emails per day asking me to sucker in my friends. Normally I would have unsubscribed from the emails, but I was informed not to do this because I would miss box customization emails.
About 2 weeks of suffering thru the spam, I get a notification my box has been created. It sat in TN for 4 days and then in NJ for over a week before I received the box in FL. It was nicely packaged.
Filling out the profile was useless. I received products that were opposite of my requests (classic makeup style and sensitive skin): shiny purple eyeshadow, face soaps and body lotions. All of the face products contain horrible ingredients (alcohol, fragrance, citrus oils, etc) so I can't use any of them and the sparkley purple eyeshadow looks like I want to show off a black eye.
$10 may not sound like a lot of money, but I could have bought a NYX lipstick, or a Maybelline concealer, or a L'Oreal mascara with it rather than awful sample packets that went straight to the trash.
I'm going to stick around for 1 more month. I will update this review when I receive my next box.

UPDATE 10/8/15: Box number 2. I am not cancelling this month because Birchbox teamed up with Estee Lauder and part of the proceeds go to Breast Cancer Awareness. One of the emails I received let me choose between 2 boxes so I got to see the products in advance. Shipping was much better this time- received my box in a timely manner.
Will update next month.

UPDATE 11/8/15: Box number 3. I was able to choose my box again this month and shipping was fast. I raised my review up to 3 stars because only my first month was bad.

Overall, you will get tons of emails and the products are usually filled with alcohol and fragrance. BUT if you review each of the products you receive, you will get a $5 credit per month to spend in their shop.

on 8/24/2015 10:33:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

I'm also relatively new to Birchbox and am really enjoying the service! It's a great way to discover products that you might not otherwise ever know about. I love looking forward to and receiving my new box each month. I find the price to be reasonable for what you receive and like that there are opportunities to rack up points for product discounts. I think this service is very much worth it, especially for Beauty Junkies, which is what I am! (What I *don't* like are the reviews here containing people's personal links so that they can get Birchbox perks by having people sign up under them, ugh. I knew that was gonna happen!)

on 8/6/2015 9:14:00 AM

I love Birchbox and have watched its evolution over the last year and a half and am pleased with the direction in which it is going. I signed up for Birchbox after I was already subscribed to Ipsy and have other subscription boxes as well, so I have a good model for comparison.

I think Birchbox gives you the most bang for your buck in terms of per-box value. For only $10 a month, you receive products that range from drugstore products to more upscale products (some of which are luxe). The samples have a better variety of products than Ipsy, which deals primarily with makeup and hair products, but Birchbox runs the whole gamut from skincare to haircaire the lifestyle accessories.

Additionally, this year they have started to send out the cardboard boxes in different designs, which is fun and exciting and gives you a great place to store your makeup, etc. With each review, you earn points and those points may be redeemed for money to spend in the shop. Each time you spend money in their shop, you also earn points, which is where the never-ending cycle of shopping in Birchbox begins.

I find that overall, I find a favorite product in each box (usually only one though), but considering the point perks, it makes it worth it for me to continue to subscribe to the box. They also offer great curated sets on the website for a mere portion of what what the value of the box would be. If you are interested in sampling from a variety of items and not just makeup and hair, this is the most economical box to subscribe to.

Popular Other Products