Birchbox

BirchboxBirchboxBirchbox

2.7

on 12/8/2016 12:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

For $15, it's not a bad deal depending, of course, what's in your box. It evens out in the long run, but one must put aside disappointment & thinking that any company would be wise to spend money on advanced programs & packaging systems to customize a $15 box. "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is," is always the wisest path in setting expectations for anything. I take items I can't use and put them in a xmas stocking box over the year. There are plenty of salt sprays in there, too, since I live five miles from the beach; I don't whine about "but don't they see my zip code!" It's $15 and if you like to pick out your own stuff, you're setting yourself up for disappointment with any of these surprise boxes.

I like the element of surprise, getting packages in the mail, and the cost for those. I don't like Birchbox's flagrant lie of being able to customize your next box--in all my subscriptions over the years, it's never worked once & always goes to the home "buy stuff" page. I don't like the incessant videos about products instead of the written word, and the person featured in those is guaranteed to be slappable. The packaging is NOT environmentally-friendly and like all of them, wasteful.

I recommend Sephora--which has a waiting list--first and Birchbox second in this price range, although for $50 every three months, you could go with creme de la creme Test Tube Beauty (amazing full-size inclusions with that one). I wouldn't recommend Ipsy at all, as in six months I had amassed a collection of blue eyeliners, lip glosses (strictly glosses) and needless zippered bags too small to practically use.

As long as you're realistic about it, Birchbox is a fun way to experiment and even at its worse, it's a way to collect gift additions someone you know will use. I've never had trouble canceling when I said so. Of course, as any automated subscription of any kind, you have to do that at least a week before the next billing cycle and that's just how it is with such a thing. Again, for $15, you shouldn't expect a personal kiss.

on 12/8/2016 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Terrible service! I received one box. Which I was not happy with, because it contained crap products from brands I had never heard of! Even tried to look up info about them online and could find very little, except for on birchbox's website and maybe one other non-reputable website. I canceled. Then several days later, I received a shipping notification saying my box was on its way! I contacted customer service. I was lied to. I was told that, I was billed for the new box right before I canceled, on the same day. Checked my account, I was billed the day after I canceled!! Still in the process of trying to get my money back. Will update.

P.S. I counted 9 rave reviews from trolls, just on the first 4 pages of reviews! This company is a fraud who pays people to write rave reviews! Beware!!

on 7/9/2016 12:09:00 AM

Received my first Birchbox today. I saw what other people received, and my items were completely different, and yes, less desirable. One of my 5 samples was a tiny perfume vial, like you get for free when you order from Sephora! That surprised me. If they really were even vaguely curating these boxes to suit the customer's profile, I'm not sure how they came up with this lot. Anyway, I'm done with them.

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

DO NOT GET BIRCH BOX !! I got this for my wife. She has not received 2 of the 6 boxes owed to her. Cancellation is near impossible.. If you wish to talk to anyone you must submit a request and hope they call you at a good moment. Boxes come at random times, no constancy. The "tayloring quiz" at the beginning meand nothing. My wife has received items that she specifically asked not to get.. Get Ipsy or the Sephora monthly subscription. .. well worth it !

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got a 6 month gift subscription to Birchbox. I'm four months in and I already know I will not continue my subscription with Birchbox. First of all, some functions on their site NEVER work. Like the "Customize your next month's box", it just takes you to the home page. I think I've figured out though that you have to pay an EXTRA $25 to get first dibs or pick your samples, that's so ridiculous and they should make it more obvious that you have to PAY to customize your box. Secondly, the "track package" never works. Every time I click on the number they give me, it says "invalid tracking, please try again." Then lastly, you get to make a beauty profile about your preferences- It seems like they don't even take that into consideration. All I receive is a bunch stuff not relevant to me that I will never use. I wish there was a way to leave feedback saying that you didn't like that product and don't want to receive one like it again. (Yes I know you can review the product but that only focuses on the brand and effectiveness not on Birchbox sending you stuff you won't use) The only thing I like about Birchbox so far is that if you review samples in your box you get 10 points, which then adds up to money you can spend.

on 1/21/2016 12:42:00 PM

I was gifted 3 months of birchbox. No thank you. I will not be continuing my subscription.
I do not see the point of receiving a bunch of samples over which I have no control. Many of the products they sent I would not consider using. For example, I don't use hair products but you can't opt-out of a category like that.

Each box contains 5 items. Of the 15 items I received, I would maybe consider purchasing 1.
I know what skin care and make up I like, and I buy it when I need it. I much prefer buying from Sephora online and picking the samples individually. Why pay for samples, when you can get them free with a purchase of something you actually want?

The various videos on the website are extremely irritating. Please shoot me if I ever sound like any of those vapid women.

on 11/16/2015 2:04:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Definitely not for everyone. If you are looking for a bargain or a specific kind of product, Birchbox won't give it to you. It is a grab bag of beauty samples. If spending $10 a month on surprise boxes of tiny makeup mystery sounds like fun, go for it!

I'm just entering my 30s and need to shake up my routine. I was buying full sizes of stuff I was just trying out, like daaaark burgundy lipstick and probiotic face wash, after spending a lot of time researching and asking friends for recommendations. Honestly I wasn't getting that far, and I was spending more than $10 a month. So it works for me.

If you review the products they give you points to use in the store. $5 a month you can get back, but the points are used at $10 intervals FYI. I don't figure it into the price I pay a month. More like a nice bonus for feedback.

on 10/13/2015 3:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Personally, I've never had a bad experience with Birchbox. I actually cancelled my Ipsy subscription and went with this. Customer service has always been helpful and fast. With Ipsy, I received gaudy, clown lipstick, and terrible eyeliners. Almost too "childish" for me. Birchbox sends me high quality samples such as perfume, makeup and hair / skin products. No nail polish- YAY! I think I'll keep this one around.

I love everything about this company and their products. You can find almost anything you are looking for with prices that are more than affordable. I once had a product come in that was destroyed by the sun, after a simple email explaining what happened, I received a reply stating their sorry, and due to the circumstances they would gladly ship a replacement. They care about their customers, they do their best to tailor themselves to your needs and wants, and are super easy to get in contact with.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This review is based upon my 1st month. I will update any changes after I receive next month's box.
So far, my experience is absolute garbage. I subscribed towards the end of last month. Since then, I have received at least 3-5 spam emails per day asking me to sucker in my friends. Normally I would have unsubscribed from the emails, but I was informed not to do this because I would miss box customization emails.
About 2 weeks of suffering thru the spam, I get a notification my box has been created. It sat in TN for 4 days and then in NJ for over a week before I received the box in FL. It was nicely packaged.
Filling out the profile was useless. I received products that were opposite of my requests (classic makeup style and sensitive skin): shiny purple eyeshadow, face soaps and body lotions. All of the face products contain horrible ingredients (alcohol, fragrance, citrus oils, etc) so I can't use any of them and the sparkley purple eyeshadow looks like I want to show off a black eye.
$10 may not sound like a lot of money, but I could have bought a NYX lipstick, or a Maybelline concealer, or a L'Oreal mascara with it rather than awful sample packets that went straight to the trash.
I'm going to stick around for 1 more month. I will update this review when I receive my next box.

UPDATE 10/8/15: Box number 2. I am not cancelling this month because Birchbox teamed up with Estee Lauder and part of the proceeds go to Breast Cancer Awareness. One of the emails I received let me choose between 2 boxes so I got to see the products in advance. Shipping was much better this time- received my box in a timely manner.
Will update next month.

UPDATE 11/8/15: Box number 3. I was able to choose my box again this month and shipping was fast. I raised my review up to 3 stars because only my first month was bad.

Overall, you will get tons of emails and the products are usually filled with alcohol and fragrance. BUT if you review each of the products you receive, you will get a $5 credit per month to spend in their shop.

Popular Other Products