Clairol Nice 'n Easy Non Permanent Colour

No Image

3.5

I love this because the dark blonde shade is the exact colour match of my natural hair colour

on 4/10/2013 7:41:00 AM

I love this hair dye. I have been dying my hair for the last year to cover grey that is coming through. As I have to do so frequently (3 weeks before growth shows) I want a colour that is gentle. My biggest dilemma has been hunting for dark brown dye that is multi tonal natural looking and does not just end up looking black! It seems nearly all dark browns do with other brands. I have tried them all. always put off by the rather boring box clairol package their colours in i have learned a lesson don't judge a box by its cover. Well this is the one I was looking for. Perfect coverage beautiful natural shiny multi tonal colour and not black! The shade I chose was 78 medium golden brown. It took the stated time 15 mins to achieve perfect coverage and I'm so delighted with this colour. I will definitely be sticking to this brand.

on 5/2/2012 11:21:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Excellent gray coverage. Left on for 15 minutes, and it developed into a rich golden brown shade. Exactly what I wanted. Grays-be-gone!

on 2/16/2012 1:54:00 PM

I used this dye on my fine, reddish hair. I used the colour darkest brown and it turned out EXACTLY like the colour on the front of the box which i as soo surprised to see. it lasted along time and just faded away to a lighter shade of brown with a tiny hint of red (only because i had dyed my hair really red previously). I would definetly recommend this to someone who is experimenting with their hair because its non-permanent so it wont do much damage to your hair and scalp.

The smell wasn't bad at all because the colourant has no ammonia in it.
The product was easy enough to apply (but very messy so watch out!)

on 12/21/2011 9:26:00 AM

I bought Clairol Nice 'n' Easy Non-Permanent colour in shade 78 - Medium Golden Brown. The packaging advises that it's a demi (non) permanent colour that lasts up to 24 washes, so there's no ammonia. I've never tried this particular brand of non-permanent colour before, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Quick background - I'm a natural redhead who's been blonde for the past 6 years and recently decided to go a dark golden/chocolate brown shade which i got done professionally. Permanent colours fade terribly on my hair which is fine but I have lots of it, so I often 'spruce' up the colour in between expensive hairdresser colourings by using a demi or semi permanent.

I think I've found my new favourite! You're supposed to leave it on for 15 minutes but speaking from sore past experience of hair colouring over the last 20 years, I only left it on for 7-8 mins. Any longer and my hair would have gone dark brown/black. I find that if you have pre-coloured hair, never to leave a 24-wash semi permanent on for the full time as it generally goes much darker than the colour described and illustrated on the box. If you had natural undyed hair then leave it on for the full duration.
Anyway, my hair is soooo shiny! You only get a sachet of conditioner, so I used the lot and it's made my hair so soft - it's never looked in better condition. Now I've found the perfect dye/formula/colour, sods law I'll forget which shade I bought unless I consult this review again! :-)

on 5/10/2014 2:39:00 PM

First of all I have to say I was surprised of how non-damaging the die was. After applying it to my hair it feels soft and healthy with no visible damage, so in that regard I would give the die perfect rating. Other benefits of this hair die is that it does not contain amonia so the smell is not unpleasant at all.

The reason I bought this die is that a few months ago i decided to get some lighlights done in my hair and it looked lovely, however now you can see my roots coming out and i wanted to cover them up (or at least make them blend in with my natural hair colour a little more). I have light brown hair (almost dark blond int he summer). I picked the dark blonde (91) colour as i thought the picture ont he box looked very similar to my natural hair colour. Well the result looks nothing like the colour on the box!! My hair is darker than ever with a visible red undertone. I have to say that the colour is still very nice and even and the die did an excellent job covering my hihglights but be ware that the colour is a lot darker than the colour on the box! I left it for exactly 15 minutes as it says on the box too so it is not a matter of leaving the colour to long.

So to sum up this is a really good, hair frinedly hair die but make sure you go with a shade lighter than what you want your hair to look like! Other than that the results are nice and even colour and healthy undamaged hair.

Me: home colourist with over 20 years of colouring my dark brown hair which has been greying since my mid 20s, currently approx. 20% grey. Current regime: Recital Superior Preference (any dark brown shade eg. Paris, Brasilia) once every 6/8 weeks followed by semi-permanent touch-ups in-between. After following the instructions and leaving the Dark Brown Nice n' Easy (24 washes) semi-permanent colour on for 15 minutes, my hair was a gorgeous, glossy rich darkest brown. The conditioner is top notch and smells lovely. I was really impressed. However, I need to wash my hair most days and after washing the day after colouring, the colour was not quite as rich and a few greys I couldn't see the day before were already showing. So, all in all comparable with Casting in terms of colour, shine, condition and how long it'll last but a lot cheaper (I found it for 2.99 in Savers - UK). But because I'm so pleased with the condition and the fact it only takes 15 minutes, is applied to dry hair (so no need to wet hair first) and is the least messy dye I have ever used, I have already decided to switch over to this for my semi-permanent touch-ups. UPDATE: as predicted, it lasted about 7 or 8 washes before all my greys were showing. Still using it as happy overall. UPDATE: the more I use this hair colour in between my permanent touch-ups, the more I love it - I strayed with Clairol Root Touch-up which was a disaster, and Nice n' Easy (8 washes) which after a whole-head application just washes down the drain within a couple of days (tip: apply just to regrowth every 2 days leaving on for the full recommended time of 25-30 mins - a PITA but if you've just used a colour remover it's vital to use this type of non-peroxide colour for a couple of weeks before colouring again with anything else). Just one box of the Nice n' Easy (24 washes) gives me two generous root touch-ups and gives my hair the most gorgeous dark brown shade with lots of shine. Leaving it on 20 mins instead of 15 makes it stay on a day or two longer too. It's just a shame it fades so quickly on me. A non-sulphate shampoo makes a little difference too. I will keep using it in tandem with the Recital but I'm on the lookout for an impressive colour-depositing shampoo or conditioner to use between colourings. Grey hair is a b***** pain in the ****!

on 3/4/2013 3:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I really like this. I have very porous hair so even permanent dyes fade within a short period of time, so I prefer sticking to non-permanent ones as I find they last just as long as permanents on me! I use this in the shade 'Dark Brown' which leaves my hair a lovely rich, deep brown colour. Most dark browns leave my hair jet black but this doesn't...just a very dark brown. This shade is meant to be a neutral one so I don't really get much redness or brassiness under light. I also like how the colour applies evenly and doesn't leave any patchiness. The conditioner smells really good and leaves my hair very shiny and soft after using. The dye doesn't smell overpowering at all and the developing time is only 15 minutes. Very easy to wash off the dye too, it rinses out quickly. Another plus point is that it's relatively cheap too! However, I need 2 packs to do my hair as my hair is long.

on 12/30/2012 1:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I had my naturally dark blond hair professionally colored to a near black. Within a couple of weeks my color had faded significantly, I picked up a box of the Nice "n Easy Non Permanent Colour in Black and was really pleased with the results. The color covered well and is very natural looking. My hair felt healthy and glossy afterwards. However, this doesn't shampoo out in 28 shampoos. Other than my roots, my hair is as dark as the day I colored it. That's okay by me, but if you're looking for a true non-permanent hair color look elsewhere.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I got the Black, and was easy to apply and I like the colour result. I got a deep, even, glossy black and the condition of my hair afterwards was fine.

However, that was in October and it's now May and the colour has only faded the tiniest bit. My roots are their natural colour because they've grown out, but the lengths of my hair are still nearly as black as the day I dyed them. I've tried to strip the colour out using hair colour remover from two different brands to no avail.

If you truly want only semi-permanent hair colour, that will fade out within a few months, this might not be the one to get.

N.B. My natural colour is a light to medium brown.