Clairol Nice 'n Easy Non Permanent Colour

Filtered by age: 36-43
No Image

3.6

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This made hardly any difference to my hair. I have thick hair, almost shoulder length, so had to use two bottles just to get the whole root area covered. The gloves included are the cheap useless baggy kind, so I used my own vinyl disposables. I have light brown/dark blonde hair coloured a couple of shades darker, the roots coming through have some strong white hairs showing especially at the hairline and temples. So first I tried the 8 washes in light ash brown - zero difference. The instructions advised using a semi-permanent if this was the case, for stubborn grays. So I tried the 24 washes in light ash brown. Made my scalp itch. The conditioner was effective but really difficult to wash out properly, my hair felt very flat afterwards. Colour wise there was hardly any difference. There was a slight staining of the whites in my parting, so they did blend in - but the whites at my hairline are still noticeable, I suppose they are just less bright. Overall the light ash brown colour didn't change my natural hair colour at the roots, and it still looks quite light and golden rather than ash. Wish I'd just gone to the salon instead.

I love this because the dark blonde shade is the exact colour match of my natural hair colour

Me: home colourist with over 20 years of colouring my dark brown hair which has been greying since my mid 20s, currently approx. 20% grey. Current regime: Recital Superior Preference (any dark brown shade eg. Paris, Brasilia) once every 6/8 weeks followed by semi-permanent touch-ups in-between. After following the instructions and leaving the Dark Brown Nice n' Easy (24 washes) semi-permanent colour on for 15 minutes, my hair was a gorgeous, glossy rich darkest brown. The conditioner is top notch and smells lovely. I was really impressed. However, I need to wash my hair most days and after washing the day after colouring, the colour was not quite as rich and a few greys I couldn't see the day before were already showing. So, all in all comparable with Casting in terms of colour, shine, condition and how long it'll last but a lot cheaper (I found it for 2.99 in Savers - UK). But because I'm so pleased with the condition and the fact it only takes 15 minutes, is applied to dry hair (so no need to wet hair first) and is the least messy dye I have ever used, I have already decided to switch over to this for my semi-permanent touch-ups. UPDATE: as predicted, it lasted about 7 or 8 washes before all my greys were showing. Still using it as happy overall. UPDATE: the more I use this hair colour in between my permanent touch-ups, the more I love it - I strayed with Clairol Root Touch-up which was a disaster, and Nice n' Easy (8 washes) which after a whole-head application just washes down the drain within a couple of days (tip: apply just to regrowth every 2 days leaving on for the full recommended time of 25-30 mins - a PITA but if you've just used a colour remover it's vital to use this type of non-peroxide colour for a couple of weeks before colouring again with anything else). Just one box of the Nice n' Easy (24 washes) gives me two generous root touch-ups and gives my hair the most gorgeous dark brown shade with lots of shine. Leaving it on 20 mins instead of 15 makes it stay on a day or two longer too. It's just a shame it fades so quickly on me. A non-sulphate shampoo makes a little difference too. I will keep using it in tandem with the Recital but I'm on the lookout for an impressive colour-depositing shampoo or conditioner to use between colourings. Grey hair is a b***** pain in the ****!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I used this product to cover up the grey in my very dark brown hair. I used the shade 'Dark Brown'. It's very easy to use - not messy, not too stinky. Slight tingling on my scalp which made me paranoid that I was going to be one of those people who have a terrible allergic reaction because, of course, I didn't do the skin test. (Well done to those who do.) Anyway, nothing worse than that happened.

As I'd hoped, the dye didn't actually change the colour of my non-grey hair, and the grey coverage was... OK. You can still see that I have grey hair, but it's not as bright white - some has disappeared, and the rest is definitely blended down to an unobtrusive silvery brown. Hair feels a little courser than before, nothing too dramatic, and the colour is nice and shiny. I needed scissors to open the sachet of conditioner, so keep some near the shower. (I have a duff hand, so others might have found it easier.)

Overall it's fine but not amazing. I think I will go back to the salon to have it done next time I need to, but it's OK for when I'm feeling broke or don't have time to go to the hairdresser.

EDIT: It faded pretty fast. I used Casting Creme Gloss next time, and got better results. I would not now buy this product again.

on 12/21/2011 9:26:00 AM

I bought Clairol Nice 'n' Easy Non-Permanent colour in shade 78 - Medium Golden Brown. The packaging advises that it's a demi (non) permanent colour that lasts up to 24 washes, so there's no ammonia. I've never tried this particular brand of non-permanent colour before, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Quick background - I'm a natural redhead who's been blonde for the past 6 years and recently decided to go a dark golden/chocolate brown shade which i got done professionally. Permanent colours fade terribly on my hair which is fine but I have lots of it, so I often 'spruce' up the colour in between expensive hairdresser colourings by using a demi or semi permanent.

I think I've found my new favourite! You're supposed to leave it on for 15 minutes but speaking from sore past experience of hair colouring over the last 20 years, I only left it on for 7-8 mins. Any longer and my hair would have gone dark brown/black. I find that if you have pre-coloured hair, never to leave a 24-wash semi permanent on for the full time as it generally goes much darker than the colour described and illustrated on the box. If you had natural undyed hair then leave it on for the full duration.
Anyway, my hair is soooo shiny! You only get a sachet of conditioner, so I used the lot and it's made my hair so soft - it's never looked in better condition. Now I've found the perfect dye/formula/colour, sods law I'll forget which shade I bought unless I consult this review again! :-)