73%

price range

Reviews

from

9 days ago

Tough as Taupe is a very nice eye shadow. The color softly defines the eye without looking too heavy. The shadow lasts all day and doesn't crease or smear. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's a little dry and hard to apply. You really have to work to blend it into the skin. However, the effect is worth the effort. I highly recommend.

About reviewer (550 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Wavy, Medium

EyesGreen

2 months ago

I'm hoping Maybelline doesn't discontinue their Color Tattoo in 'Tough as Taupe' because it's the perfect colour for filling in my brows. I've got ashy blonde hair which I've been allowing to go gray over the past several years; Tough as Taupe has been the perfect shade for my brows as my hair goes through this transition. I just use a small angled brush to apply, then brush through with a spoolie. Done. It stays put all day and removes very easily with micellar water. It's also very affordable. I've heard there are some ashy pencils by some high-end companies but I refuse to pay through the nose for expen$ive brow products! Nope nope nope! Not when this works so well for me! Until makeup companies get on board and create *true* ashy and affordable brow pencils for us 'silver foxes', this is my go-to!

About reviewer (45 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

EyesBlue

2 years ago

I was looking for a good smudge pot for my brows since my beloved NYX Bare My Soul was just not lasting all day. I have dark brown hair and black eyebrows but I do not use a dark brown brow powder/pencil anymore as it is WAY too dramatic and looks just silly on my brows. I needed a light taupe and this works amazingly well. It is creamy and soft and works great as an eyeshadow as well.

About reviewer (450 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinOily, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

3 years ago

I like this, both alone or as a base for my powder shadows! As a primer, it helps shadows adhere better and last through the day. If I am having a rushed morning, I simply apply this then line my eyes (and apply mascara) to fake a complete eye look. The shade being what it is, sometimes I use this as nose contour! The key to blendability is to warm a little scoop of the product between your fingers.

About reviewer (411 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinOther

HairOther

EyesOther

3 years ago

The only reason I haven't given this 5 stars is because I haven't used it on my lids as a shadow, so I can't attest for how it performs that way. I instead use it to fill in my brows with a thin and sharp angled brush. The color is a warm grey/grey taupe, somewhere in between and it's the perfect color for my ashy blonde brows. All grey brow pencils and powders are too cool toned and end up looking like I have a white cast in my brows, but this matches the color perfectly. It lasts all day and blends away if I make a mistake. It does not create a sharp edge for Instagram brows, and I prefer the softer haze on the edges. Until I can find an angled brow definer with this exact color, it will be in my holy grails for that reason.

About reviewer (30 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinSensitive, Fair

HairBlond

EyesGreen

2.0

3 years ago

Bought this a while ago, no matter how much I tried to make it work it was always extremely patchy and hard to blend. The color is weird, neither a grey nor a brown, some kind of an inbetween shade with a green undertone to it. I really wanted this to become my new facourite cream transition shade but unfortunately it was a waste of my money. I have to say that every other color tatoo shadow I have tried besides this one was absolutely bomb.

About reviewer (5 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

3.0

3 years ago

I bought this today after reading here that someone used it as a cool toned contour. I consider myself cool toned, but this was too cool for me. As people have mentioned, it is gray. Looks nice on the eyes, though. As others have reviewed, it's thick and hard to blend, but I can live with it because I like the natural shade. As a contour, it sunk in my otherwise not too obvious cheek pores and made it look like they were blackheads. Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline? ;) Please, check out my notepad for $10 referral links to Paula's Choice and a few clothing retailers.

About reviewer (58 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Medium, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Other

3.0

3 years ago

OK product but a little dry.

About reviewer (27 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBrown

1.0

4 years ago

Purchased from Ulta based on the positive reviews. I couldn't get this eye shadow to blend smoothly. Always patchy, regardless of whether I used fingers, bb, brushes.

About reviewer (42 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Other, Coarse

4 years ago

I didn't buy this for eyeshadow, but I'll probably eventually use it for that. I am one of the cool toned blondes when it comes to my brows and after reading a bunch of reviews for avoiding orangey brown fillers, I was led to this. Even though these are a little darker than my brows, it was a way better match than the blonde toned brow crayon I tried. I noticed a lot of reviews that criticized the wearing of it throughout the day, but I think it depends on the skin type. I have oily skin, and after a hot afternoon of mowing (yea, kept it on because I didn't feel like taking it off) it was still on pretty well. I wouldn't say 100%, but it looked closer to my brow color once it faded, so I couldn't complain. I'll keep buying this until they actually create a decent drugstore cool toned blonde brow pencil.

About reviewer (25 reviews)

Age19-24