Maybelline Color Tattoo - Tough as Taupe

Maybelline Color Tattoo - Tough as Taupe

3.9

Ingredients.Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polypropylsilsesquioxane, Ceresin, Cyclohexasiloxane, Caprylyl Methicone, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Alumina, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cyclomethicone, Propylene Carbonate, Candelilla Cera / Candelilla Wax / Cire De Candelilla, Caprylyl Glycol, C30-45 Alkyldimethylsilyl Polypropylsilsesquioxane, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Silica, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Tin Oxide, Acrylates Copolymer, Paraffin. May Contain: Mica, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, CI 19140 / Yellow 5 Lake, CI 16035 / Red 40 Lake, CI 77000 / Aluminum Powder, CI 77510 / Ferric Ferrocyanide, CI 75470 / Carmine, CI 42090 / Blue 1 Lake, CI 77400 / Bronze Powder, CI 77288 / Chromium Oxide Greens, CI 77289 / Chromium Hydroxide Green, CI 77742 / Manganese Violet, CI 77400 / Copper Powder, CI 77163 / Bismuth Oxychloride, CI 77510 / Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide.. ...

The only reason I haven't given this 5 stars is because I haven't used it on my lids as a shadow, so I can't attest for how it performs that way. I instead use it to fill in my brows with a thin and sharp angled brush. The color is a warm grey/grey taupe, somewhere in between and it's the perfect color for my ashy blonde brows. All grey brow pencils and powders are too cool toned and end up looking like I have a white cast in my brows, but this matches the color perfectly. It lasts all day and blends away if I make a mistake. It does not create a sharp edge for Instagram brows, and I prefer the softer haze on the edges. Until I can find an angled brow definer with this exact color, it will be in my holy grails for that reason.

Bought this a while ago, no matter how much I tried to make it work it was always extremely patchy and hard to blend. The color is weird, neither a grey nor a brown, some kind of an inbetween shade with a green undertone to it.
I really wanted this to become my new facourite cream transition shade but unfortunately it was a waste of my money. I have to say that every other color tatoo shadow I have tried besides this one was absolutely bomb.

on 12/11/2016 10:52:00 PM

I bought this today after reading here that someone used it as a cool toned contour. I consider myself cool toned, but this was too cool for me. As people have mentioned, it is gray. Looks nice on the eyes, though. As others have reviewed, it's thick and hard to blend, but I can live with it because I like the natural shade.

As a contour, it sunk in my otherwise not too obvious cheek pores and made it look like they were blackheads. Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline? ;)

Please, check out my notepad for $10 referral links to Paula's Choice and a few clothing retailers.

OK product but a little dry.

on 7/13/2016 3:24:00 AM

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

Purchased from Ulta based on the positive reviews. I couldn't get this eye shadow to blend smoothly. Always patchy, regardless of whether I used fingers, bb, brushes.

I didn't buy this for eyeshadow, but I'll probably eventually use it for that. I am one of the cool toned blondes when it comes to my brows and after reading a bunch of reviews for avoiding orangey brown fillers, I was led to this. Even though these are a little darker than my brows, it was a way better match than the blonde toned brow crayon I tried. I noticed a lot of reviews that criticized the wearing of it throughout the day, but I think it depends on the skin type. I have oily skin, and after a hot afternoon of mowing (yea, kept it on because I didn't feel like taking it off) it was still on pretty well. I wouldn't say 100%, but it looked closer to my brow color once it faded, so I couldn't complain. I'll keep buying this until they actually create a decent drugstore cool toned blonde brow pencil.

on 5/19/2016 1:58:00 PM

Excellent color, but it has no staying power whatsoever. This eye shadow is no match for my oily lids and it virtually disappears by the end of the day.

Tough as Taupe is a smoky neutral shade of grayish-brown with a creamy finish. No sparkle or shimmer. I had high hopes for this because I really like Maybelline's Creamy Beige Leather Color Tattoo, it lasts all day one me. So their Tough as Taupe must have a different formulation altogether.

Two lippies instead of just one because the color is so great. Too bad it doesn't last. And it's so easy to use it's absolutely idiot-proof. Just use your fingers to dab it on and blend. The warmth of your fingertips actually helps to soften the product and help it spread.

I like Maybelline's Color Tattoos but I wouldn't buy this one again.

on 5/7/2016 3:34:00 PM

I bought this because I had seen others use it as a cool contouring base. It works very well for this, and as an eye shadow base as well. It stays on all day.

I really, really like this product for contouring my nose bridge - very natural on me. Other contour creams make my nose look like I slathered too much bronzer on it. I don't really know how to describe my skin tone - I'm Irish-hispanic so my skin is a certain type of olive (grey undertones) that isn't well-represented by most US makeup brands I've tried. Access to Korean cosmetics changed my life, LOL.

When I use Tough As Taupe to contour with my Missha Perfect Cover #23, I don't necessarily have to layer a cool bronzer on top of it because this bb cream matches me really well. So, adding Tough As Taupe literally like painting a shadow onto my face and I adore it. And you don't have to be sparing with the product application unless you're really, really pale. I'm not, exactly, so I paint big streaks on my face and it blends out just fine.

When I use this to contour with products that don't match my skin as well, though, I definitely have to layer bronzer on top or I'll look washed out. The Tough As Taupe still serves a purpose in this situations as a base, since it DOES stay all day and I do think it adds depth underneath the bronzer.

I would highly recommend this as a eye shadow base to anyone and as a contour cream to all the other olives out there. :)

I love the color tattoos but this shade in particular was really patchy for me no matter how much I tried to blend it out. I've used my fingers, brushes, and even the little sponge tip applicators you get with drugstore palettes and nothing works. I haven't tried that many color tattoos but the ones that I have tried were super blendable. I've heard the leather collection wasn't as good so maybe that's why

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Bought this about a month ago, and I've used it almost every day. I generally go for a more brownish taupe, but this greige is really working with my pale skin this winter. It is more of a matte, but it doesn't look flat or dusty.
I apply with my finger to get the concentration I like, and blend it with a shadow brush to eliminate any weird patches. I do get some creasing, and the colour definitely lightens up throughout the day, but it's got decent longevity. It's a good, simple colour to use every day to look cleaned up but not overly made up.
I like the glass pots, it pretty much bounces around in my makeup bag and I never have to worry about spilling or breaking. I do find this to be expensive for a drug store single shadow, I'd recommend waiting for a sale to buy. I use very little per day, so the pot will last me a while. I'll rebuy once I run out.