Sally Hansen insta-dri in slick slate

4.6

on 2/8/2016 2:44:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I love this color it is a dark grey with a purple undertone. I used two coats (although it really only needs one coat) and I applied my top coat. The nail polish stayed well over 1 week before I noticed some slight chipping, which is very good for a drugstore brand especially because I am really rough on my hands.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I was dying for Essie Merino Cool after seeing someone's Instagram of them wearing it, but I didn't want to spend $9 on it. I carried it around the store with me hoping to find a close dupe and this was it! They looked nearly identical in the bottle, but obviously I don't know for sure on-the-nail since I don't have the Essie polish.

I love SH polishes because of the wide, flat brushes which make application SO quick & easy. On me this was opaque in one coat. It also dried super fast - similar to the InstaDri top coat that I love so much. I was impressed & it took me no time to do my manicure. This is such a beautiful and sophisticated neutral for fall!!

To Read all 8 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

This is a dupe for Sally Hansen Fearless fog in the nail growth line & also the discontinued Metro Chic SOPI. I own all so have swatched them. This last 7+ days with minimal chipping or tip wear. Goes on smooth & opaque with one swipe. It dries within 10 mins on me. This is a great neutral for work professionals & every day wear.

on 10/18/2013 4:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I rarely wear cream finishes or taupes/greys but this one jumped out at me in the store. I would describe it as medium-dark (but not vampy) grey with purple undertones and a cream finish. In the store I compared it to Essie Merino Cool and the colors looked very similar in the bottle; however, I don't actually own Merino Cool so I can't say whether it's a true dupe. Usually taupes/greys are not very flattering on my pale, warm skintone, but the purple tones in Slick Slate make it much more wearable for me. I already use a fast-dry top coat so I can't say whether this polish dries any faster than usual. The wide brush takes a little getting used to but my application turned out better than expected. I needed two coats for opacity. It does seem to last very well -- I've been wearing it for 5 days with no chips, including spending 3 hours assembling some flat-packed furniture!

on 11/17/2012 5:17:00 PM

I am in love with this nail polish! I got it for under $5 at Target, and I love the formula, colour, shine, and durability! The application took me a little while to get used to because the brush is very wide (which I love) but it holds a lot of product! The colour is completely work appropriate, and sophisticated as well. The drying time also really did impress me :)

on 5/19/2012 10:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

Pros:

Overall this is a beautiful & versatile work appropriate neutral which can also compliment an edgy night look. I'm a NC45 so I know this color works for those w/ warm undertones however this color has blue notes which could also work for those with cooler undertones. While this is a dark color it's still a neutral that could be worn during the summer as well as winter.

Cons:

This color is 2 coats to opaque.

The color is labelled as "insta-dry" but I found this color to have a longer than average dry time in part b/c the brush picks up so much color you have to be careful to avoid thick layers. Of course thick layers can lead to chips (which happened to me w/ this color) so again application is key.

It was mentioned by another makeup alley user that this color is a dupe for "You Don't Know Jaques". While this color is similar I don't find it to be a bona fide dupe. This color is has a more mauve/grey (cooler) base then the taupe/olive (warmer) base of YDKJ.

Conclusion:

Nevertheless this a great all purpose color which compliments a variety of skintones & looks. Just be careful with the application in order to get the full benefit of this color.

I know I'm jumping on the bandwagon extremely late for this color but I saw it in Walmart yesterday and thought ill just try it already. I love this shade! I Like having darker colors on my nails and this is perfect from when I want to switch it up from black. Its a soft grey color and looks good against my NC 25 coloring. Its neutral so it goes with everything (: I will Come back and review how long it lasted on me and other details, but I just had to share how much I'm loving this color!

on 12/9/2011 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

slick slate is a taupe-grey nail polish that is creamy and could have a little mauve in it.it dries fast,last long with revlon top coat! Verry nice for winter! Love it!

Popular Polishes