Balenciaga L'essence

Balenciaga L'essence

4.3

Why ever was this magnificent fragrance discontinued? I was shocked when the sales woman at Lord and Taylor told me it had been since this is one of my very favorite fragrances. Luckily for me, I was able to obtain a bottle on Amazon and I hope to never be without it. This is a unique scent, one that you don't smell on everyone coming and going....special to the extreme....feminine but not saccharine-sweet, herbal in a way. In other words, a perfect scent, imo......not to mention a lovely bottle to display.

This perfume is stunning. It is not shy nor is it brash, but it is STRONG. It's akin to a somewhat feminized version of YSL's La Nuit de L'Homme L'Intense and, like it, features violet and patchouli. Vetiver, violet leaf, green notes, sandalwood and cedar round out this woodsy, ozonic, clean composition.

Sillage? This one trails, and the lasting time is until your next shower. I am in love.

on 11/6/2014 7:08:00 AM

Classy as hell (the fragrance is classy, I'm not, I can swear all I want). Green and violet and kinda woody, less cloying than Balenciaga Paris. Moderate lasting power, moderate sillage. L'Essence will come across as masculine only if your idea of feminine is hot pink tutu and glitter eyeshadow -- this is the chic and subtle femininity of a gamine in pixie cut, Equipment shirt and kitten heels.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

L'Essence, I wanted to love you, but sadly it wasn't meant to be. I found a bottle of this at TJ Maxx and immediately had to scoop it up as my local ones rarely get recently released, higher end fragrances. Unfortunately, it doesn't work so well on my skin but I've passed it onto my mother who it works much better for.

My issue with L'Essence is that it turns into straight patchouli onto my skin and never develops into anything else. It's a strong patchouli with great longevity, but what I can smell on a spritz on paper doesn't translate to my skin.There's a sophisticated androgyny with this and I wish I could get the green notes to come out for me, but no dice.

I must say though that I think this bottle design is absolutely stunning. The tahitian pearl cap combined with the sea-glass ombre green bottle is gorgeous - well done in that regard. I'd keep it just for the bottle since I got it for $30, but I'm happy that it works better on my mom since it's a lovely fragrance if it works for you.

on 2/15/2013 5:59:00 PM

I tried a sample of this and I loved it. Hubby gave it to me for my BDay and I am ecstatic. It's a very soft scent, but not at all blah, or baby cologne. Someone described it as 'masculine.' Well, maybe compared to all the horrid fruit punch-like, overly floral and overly sweet scents around there. I don't think it's masculine at all (I'd go 'uh-oh' if hubby started wearing this). However, since there is no account for taste and perception, I say whatever.

If you are like me, and are sick to death of the typical 'summer scents' that smell all the same (acquatic, citrusy, herbal, etc., etc.), but don't like to wear strong scents in hot weather, you'll love this. I also love the dark bottle and the little pouch it comes in. Great scent. For the assertive, elegant woman, who makes her own rules.

on 11/19/2012 5:47:00 AM

Here we go again. Another masculine scent for women on the market. I've reviewed several of them the past few day and now It is my pleasure to intoduce to the world another one Balenciagas L'essence. First off, the little bottle with the dark forebodking evil looking cap makes me think i'm in for something witchey even before i smell the fragrance. Upon spraying i go and get my broon and begin to take off wih it. The violet leaves are the predominant note in L'essense...not cute little violet blossoms but violet leaves. They aer what makes the fragrnce nice and powderery. Soon vetiver and woods emerge and it propels your broom up into the stratospher. I got several comments on it the first day i wore it so that is nice.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I want to love this, but I can't quite move past just really liking it. This is unusual and unquestionably beautiful - woodsy, slightly powdery, elegant yet not obnoxiously chic - but some component that would make it magical is missing (at least for me). Still rated as a buy-again as it is a pleasure to wear.

on 5/17/2012 5:36:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This perfume is the follow-up fragrance to Balenciaga Paris and features vetiver, patchouli, violet, violet leaf, green notes, sandalwood and cedar.
I've smelled the original and I prefer this one far over the other. Overall I like green perfumes, and I like mossy and woody scents. This istarts off more green than the original but dries to a more sweet, comfortable and woody scent.
It starts rather fresh, with a green violet scent (I love violet perfumes like TF Violet Blonde or Violetta di Parma) but when it dries down it gets more sweet and woody, some have described this as vanilla musk or maybe this is the sandalwood. On me it's a very comfortable skin scent, great during the day and appropriat for summer of winter.
I also like that it has a slight masculine feeling to it, I think my boyfriend could wear this as well, but I'm keeping this for me :)
I love this!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I feel very torn about this scent. The top notes are too much for me. I like the floral violet notes mixed with some powdery accents and a bit of green freshness, but the intensity of it all is too much and borders on headache territory for me (of course "headache territory" is very subjective, so you may not have that reaction, but I wanted to make sure to include this for those of us who love our perfumes, but are sensitive to stronger scents). I love the dry down, though. It retains a powdery-floral feel and keeps the violet note with some green. But it all gets sort of deeper and darker with a slightly antique lace feel, like a bouquet of violets and roses in your grandmother's kitchen. I could live in that scent. So for me it's exactly 50/50. I don't like the first half of this scent, but I adore the second half.

Edit: I'm trying this again because of how much I love the dry down. The top and heart seem very different to me now, I think it may be because I was getting over a cold when I was trialing it before. Now the top notes are pure green with a tinge of violet right at the beginning, but then the violet goes soapy, so there's a green and soapy quality to it on me that makes it underwhelming. The dry down is still beautiful, but overall I think it's a pass for me.

on 3/3/2012 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

I bought this in UK. Love it. Its heavy but still not. Very feminine and lasts a long time

Popular Fragrances